GUILTY MD - Rajahnthon Haynie, 1 mo, found buried in Baltimore park, 14 March 2010

Texas Mist

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
A terrible story breaking right now from the Baltimore police homicide unit, and here's a copy of what I just filed to my editors: The mother of a one-month-old boy, who police said has had four other children taken away by social services, confessed Monday to burying the infant in Druid Hill Park and has been charged with first-degree murder, police said.

Homicide detectives tracked down 28-year-old Lakesha Haynie late Monday afternoon, a day after the boy’s father led them to the shallow grave in a wooded area of the park. The father told police that his son, Rajahnthon Haynie, had been buried in the park by his mother sometime last month, according to Anthony Guglielmi, the department’s chief spokesman.
An autopsy determined the child died from blunt force trauma and suffered head fractures, Guglielmi said. Lakesha Haynie, of the 2300 block of Whittier Ave., told investigators that the boy had suffocated, but police spokesman Donny Moses said other aspects of her story were consistent with the injuries the state medical examiner had documented. Moses declined to elaborate.

Lakesha Haynie has no criminal record, though she was being sought on a warrant charging her with assault from an October 2009 incident, according to court records. Moses said the homicide investigation revealed that she had four prior children taken away from her by the Department of Social Services, which could not be reached to confirm that information.

The father was not facing charges, Moses said, though the investigation was "open and ongoing."

Rajahnthon Haynie was born Jan. 30, 2010. The boy’s body was found in a wooded area a few hundred feet from a road within the park, Guglielmi said.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/crime/blog/2010/03/mother_arrested_in_death_of_on.html

:rose: RIP, baby Rajahnthon :rose:

I'm sorry there's no laws to protect little ones like you. :(

ETA: this article said Rajahnthon was 2mos old.....I wish out of respect the facts were straight.

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/22840846/detail.html

A terrible story breaking right now from the Baltimore police homicide unit, and here's a copy of what I just filed to my editors: The mother of a one-month-old boy, who police said has had four other children taken away by social services, confessed Monday to burying the infant in Druid Hill Park and has been charged with first-degree murder, police said.

Homicide detectives tracked down 28-year-old Lakesha Haynie late Monday afternoon, a day after the boy’s father led them to the shallow grave in a wooded area of the park. The father told police that his son, Rajahnthon Haynie, had been buried in the park by his mother sometime last month, according to Anthony Guglielmi, the department’s chief spokesman.
An autopsy determined the child died from blunt force trauma and suffered head fractures, Guglielmi said. Lakesha Haynie, of the 2300 block of Whittier Ave., told investigators that the boy had suffocated, but police spokesman Donny Moses said other aspects of her story were consistent with the injuries the state medical examiner had documented. Moses declined to elaborate.

Lakesha Haynie has no criminal record, though she was being sought on a warrant charging her with assault from an October 2009 incident, according to court records. Moses said the homicide investigation revealed that she had four prior children taken away from her by the Department of Social Services, which could not be reached to confirm that information.

The father was not facing charges, Moses said, though the investigation was "open and ongoing."

Rajahnthon Haynie was born Jan. 30, 2010. The boy’s body was found in a wooded area a few hundred feet from a road within the park, Guglielmi said.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/crime/blog/2010/03/mother_arrested_in_death_of_on.html

:rose: RIP, baby Rajahnthon :rose:

I'm sorry there's no laws to protect little ones like you. :(

We need a Law then:furious:When you have proven unfit(losing custody to Department of Social Service)They should have to send the mothers name and picture to every hospital in every state.As soon as born the infant should be taken and her rights terminated or they should sterilize mothers who abuse.Why take away victims if your going to let her just have more:furious:.

since he was buried sometime mast month, and he was born on january 30th.....that means he wasnt even a month old :(

We need a Law then:furious:When you have proven unfit(losing custody to Department of Social Service)They should have to send the mothers name and picture to every hospital in every state.As soon as born the infant should be taken and her rights terminated or they should sterilize mothers who abuse.Why take away victims if your going to let her just have more:furious:.

There's got to be a way to monitor families who have their kids taken away -- and just have more to abuse, neglect or potentially kill their babies.

I don't understand but I wish I did, mikeysmommom.

I like the bolded last sentence below and I'm not even a huge advocate of that form of punishment. I am now.

BALTIMORE -- A mother has been charged with murder, a day after her child's body was found inside a bag left in a park.

Officers said the child's mother, Lakesha Haynie, 28, is charged with first- and second-degree murder, first- and second-degree assault and various child abuse charges. She was denied bail on Tuesday.

City detectives said 1-month-old Rajahnthon Haynie was found placed in a bag and left in Druid Hill Park late Sunday.

If convicted, Haynie could get the death penalty.

Police say Lakesha Haynie, 28, murdered her one-month-old son, Rajahnthon, then stuffed his corpse in a black handbag and buried it less than a block from her home.

snip

The medical examiner's office says little Rajahnthon died from head trauma. Charging documents reveal "the victim suffered a skull fracture to the left side of the head," but exactly what caused the fracture and why Haynie buried the child herself remain a mystery.

"She confessed to the involvement in the murder of her son. We also have a witness who corroborated that statement," said Anthony Guglielmi, Baltimore City Police spokesperson. "The autopsy report indicated the child died of blunt force trauma to the head."

http://wjz.com/local/infant.body.druid.2.1565467.html

I like the bolded last sentence below and I'm not even a huge advocate of that form of punishment. I am now.

BALTIMORE -- A mother has been charged with murder, a day after her child's body was found inside a bag left in a park.

Officers said the child's mother, Lakesha Haynie, 28, is charged with first- and second-degree murder, first- and second-degree assault and various child abuse charges. She was denied bail on Tuesday.

City detectives said 1-month-old Rajahnthon Haynie was found placed in a bag and left in Druid Hill Park late Sunday.

If convicted, Haynie could get the death penalty.

Makes me wanna scream!

The slain baby was Haynie's fifth child. WBAL-TV 11 News asked the city's DSS director if the baby slipped through cracks in the system.

"This is a very challenging question -- how something like this could happen to an infant. There's much that government tries to do to make sure that we have a safety net around families. There's no government safety net or piece of legislation that will compensate for the vigilance of citizens," said DSS Director Molly McGrath.

Baltimore County officials said they rely on family members, friends and social workers.

"When a mother whose parental rights have been terminated gives birth at a hospital, the hospital social worker contacts us immediately," said Baltimore County DSS spokesman Nick D'Alesandro.

Why that didn't happen in a case like this one :furious: is something state prosecutors have been concerned about.

"No child deserves to be born into a circumstance where they don't have adequate parenting or a safe, permanent home," said Julie Drake of the city state's attorney's office.

Since no hospital sounded an alarm, 11 News asked if Haynie didn’t give birth in a hospital. Citing confidentiality laws, DSS officials in both jurisdictions said they couldn't answer that question.

Yeah - I bet they can't answer that question!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back