10 April 2010: Cache Valley residents organizing search for Susan Powell

PickieChickie

Former Member
Reaction score
Cache Valley residents organizing search for Susan Powell
A group of Cache Valley residents are taking it upon themselves to assist in the search of Susan Powell, the West Valley mother who disappeared on December 6, 2009.

The group will be focusing their search in Utah's west desert on April 10 just south of Tooele and west of Vernon. The command post will be at the Simpson Springs Campground. From there search parties will be sent out in different areas and cover as much ground as possible, depending on how many volunteers participate, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
SOURCE: http://www.cachevalleydaily.com/news/local/87711247.html

Fantastic, but they ought to be searching Cache Valley too.

I'm glad to hear that someone has come up with a plan and gained some traction with it. I agree it's fantastic.

I'm wondering about this comment. The search is most likely based on best guess, best practices and best information from the collected information so far. I wouldn't be too quick to decide the place to start, myself. I've thought all along that figuring out where to spend the resources is a huge problem in this case. Given that these people have offered their time and energy to the cause, how do you figure where they should concentrate their efforts?

*Volunteer search being organized for Susan Powell*
March 16th, 2010 @ 8:04am

Details of how people can be involved in the search will be posted on Facebook at the Friends and Family of Susan Powell page. *

WHY IS IT THE FRIENDS AND FAMILY MEMBERS OF SUSAN POWELL insist on limiting information available to only people who have fricking Facebook accounts?

If I or others interested in participating in the search don't have or want a Facebook account, or have been BLOCKED from Friends and Family of Susan Powell Facebook group, how can someone learn the information they need to participate in the search?

GIVE ME A BREAK!

Why is it they haven't put the information on their Susan Cox Powell Foundation web site where EVERYONE who has a computer can access it and provide that web site as a source of information as well? OR, is this just poor reporting on the part of the media?

This just infuriates me that they just will NOT listen! There are countless people who will NEVER get a Facebook account!

The article is identical to the last one I posted so it appears Shelby Gifford posted a press release. I wonder whose brilliant idea this was to keep the information LOCKED up inside the FAFOSP Facebook group?

NOT SMART AT ALL!

SOURCE: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=10031136

*Volunteer search being organized for Susan Powell*
March 16th, 2010 @ 8:04am

Details of how people can be involved in the search will be posted on Facebook at the Friends and Family of Susan Powell page. *

WHY IS IT THE FRIENDS AND FAMILY MEMBERS OF SUSAN POWELL insist on limiting information available to only people who have fricking Facebook accounts?

If I or others interested in participating in the search don't have or want a Facebook account, or have been BLOCKED from Friends and Family of Susan Powell Facebook group, how can someone learn the information they need to participate in the search?

I don't get it either. They should publicize it anywhere and everywhere they can. They should even as Josh to put it on his whimpy site.

GIVE ME A BREAK!

Why is it they haven't put the information on their Susan Cox Powell Foundation web site where EVERYONE who has a computer can access it and provide that web site as a source of information as well? OR, is this just poor reporting on the part of the media?

This just infuriates me that they just will NOT listen! There are countless people who will NEVER get a Facebook account!

The article is identical to the last one I posted so it appears Shelby Gifford posted a press release. I wonder whose brilliant idea this was to keep the information LOCKED up inside the FAFOSP Facebook group?

NOT SMART AT ALL!

SOURCE: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=10031136

I don't get it either. They should advertise anywhere and everywhere they can. They should even ask Josh to put it on his whimpy Susan site.

Thank God there is finally going to be a search! Should have already been, IMO. Why April 10th, tho? Why not before then?

JMO

I don't get it either. They should advertise anywhere and everywhere they can. They should even ask Josh to put it on his whimpy Susan site.

This could lead someone to conclude certain people really aren't interested in finding Susan Powell! Or, they think she wasn't buried or dumped there? Or, they are just afraid that Susan will be found dead and then what? All their hopes will be gone?

Why not provide contact information in the article for the person who is heading up the search such as an e-mail address or telephone number?

This is not a subtle form of control for those of us who aren't on Facebook, but rather a large inconvenience and aggravation.

I was listed in Who's Who a long time ago, and gave them personal information only to learn it's just a way for someone to make money. Then I tried a social community very similar to FB before FB existed, only to learn the same thing again. I said no more of that and won't be a member there.

It doesn't say nice things about those who set it up, perhaps for their own protection, because you can't have it both ways. They signal that they want something other than as many people helping in the search as possible. If everybody is out for themselves and protecting their own behinds, the message to me is I sure better protect my own, too, and forget about searching.

We'll be over in the Maze district hiking around the Dollhouse instead, following the specific recommendation from WVCPD which was given to my family by one of the detectives in a phone conversation. But it doesn't seem quite right.

I don't think you have to have a Facebook account to look at theirs. But, I agree, it should be out there everywhere.

From the Discussion area of the Friends and Family of Susan Powell Facebook Group:

The group organizing the Simpson Springs-area ground search for Susan has asked me to post the following information. They will be putting up a link soon to a downloadable Waiver form, as well as more information as soon as it becomes available. Their statement:

Press release announcing the search for Susan Cox Powell:

As the weather warms up there has been renewed interest in searching for clues to Susan Cox Powell’s disappearance. A diverse group of friends and professionals have pooled their experience and expertise to instigate this search effort with the approval of her family.

On April 10th, 2010 there will be an extensive search for clues in Utah’s West Desert. The command post will be south of Tooele and west of Vernon, UT at the Simpson Springs camp ground. From there search parties will be sent out to different areas to cover as much ground as possible from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. We hope many volunteers will join us so we can search a large area. Volunteers will be put in teams and assigned an area to search. There are several roads in the area, but most of the searching will be done on foot over some hill country and flatlands.

Volunteer Preparation List

Thank you for your willingness to volunteer to help search for clues in the disappearance of Susan Powell in the West Desert of Utah. Be sure your car is gassed up as there are no services for about 75 miles, depending on where you are assigned to search. We recommend that you car pool with 3-4 buddies. Make sure that at least one of you has a GPS and knows how to use it.

We need volunteers who are as prepared as possible to make this an effective effort. For safety reasons, those between 16 and 18 will need to be accompanied by a guardian and everyone who volunteers in the search will need to sign a waiver form. Photo ID is required of all volunteers. A GPS for each group and knowledge of how to use it is strongly encouraged.

You will need to bring the following:

o A filled in copy of the waiver form acknowledging that you are solely responsible for your actions on the search.

o A photo ID to show you are of age and to track which searchers have returned and who is still unaccounted for.

o Short wave radios would be helpful as there is no cell phone coverage in the search area.

o You need to be in good health and prepared for significant physical excursion.

o You are responsible to check the weather and to dress appropriately in layers, with comfortable hiking boots, and a jacket, etc.

o You should also bring an emergency preparedness pack with a basic first aid kit, water, snacks, flare, etc.

NOTE: We want volunteers to be safe and part of an effective team. If you show up to search without these things you may not be able to be part of the search effort.

Stay tuned to this site and http://www.cachevalleydaily.com/ for more information.

Am I being too crass in asking why they are saying "to look for clues for Susan". Aren't they looking for Susan? This just doesn't sound right for some reason.?????

Am I being too crass in asking why they are saying "to look for clues for Susan". Aren't they looking for Susan? This just doesn't sound right for some reason.?????

This is what I picture when I think of looking for clues! I wonder if they will all dress up for the occasion?​
sherlock%20pipe%20and%20magnifying%20glass.jpg

Hey, that Burberry stuff is expensive! Hope they don't get dirty.

This is what I picture when I think of looking for clues! I wonder if they will all dress up for the occasion?​
[

Susan's body would be a big clue.

Not to get caught up in semantics, but shortwave radios aren't necessary, maybe some VHF radios as there are some good repeaters in the Oquirrh Mountains. Someone should contact the local ham radio organization to provide comms support in case of emergency.

http://utahvhfs.org/

Perhaps pieces of clothing,however I don't think the , oops I mean POI said what Susan was wearing.

Susan's body would be a big clue.

Not to get caught up in semantics, but shortwave radios aren't necessary, maybe some VHF radios as there are some good repeaters in the Oquirrh Mountains. Someone should contact the local ham radio organization to provide comms support in case of emergency.

http://utahvhfs.org/

Some of the people involved in this matter need to get a clue but I bet they won't show up to look for one! Lol!

I've been waiting for the Trib to get involved in this search.....buy have yet seen an article....What gives?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rangelmcguire
Back