1084 users online (223 members and 861 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 574
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    29,161

    NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - # 8

    Please continue here.


    Thread 7



    Salem
    Last edited by KateB; 04-19-2015 at 03:18 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ontario but a trucker so everywhere.
    Posts
    14,984
    You must send a written request that includes the missing person's name and the identifying information discussed above; your reason for wanting to contact the missing person; the last time the person was seen; and information about other attempts you have made to contact the person. Enclose the letter to be forwarded in a plain, unstamped, unsealed envelope, with a check for $25 payable to the Social Security Administration (assuming the request is not for humanitarian reasons) and mail your request to:
    http://law.freeadvice.com/government...ing_person.htm

    the SSN issue

    Wasting tax dollars to find him ? I am wondering if they need to talk to someone else. We all know how gov can be. LE might even sign a letter for them, considering they are wasting their time too if he is alive and well. If I were them I would try again, Be persistent. go to a supervisor. Could a PI find out if his ssn has been used?
    __________________
    Last edited by RubyRed; 03-16-2010 at 12:12 AM. Reason: add

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,812
    Thank you, Salem!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,812
    Last edited by KateB; 04-19-2015 at 03:18 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    4,582
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyRed View Post
    http://law.freeadvice.com/government...ing_person.htm

    Wasting tax dollars to find him ? I am wondering if they need to talk to someone else. We all know how gov can be. LE might even sign a letter for them, considering they are wasting their time too if he is alive and well. If I were them I would try again,
    __________________
    The "freeadvice" site's worth what you pay. Here's the actual Social Security rules:

    http://www.ssa.gov/foia/html/ltrfwding.htm

    Notice that it's a "one chance" thing....and since it takes awhile for quarterly SS deposits to be made, it's going to be awhile before it would even show anything. Do it too soon, and you lose your chance forever. I'd say it'd more likely be a viable option 6-9 months from now.

    --------------------

    New thread started?
    WHY do we have to have a new thread again?
    Now I have to change my browser favorites, it makes searching for specific posts practically impossible through (now 8) threads, and there's no explanation why this is such a good idea.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    18,098
    Reposting from old thread:

    Quote Originally Posted by laytonian View Post
    You'd certainly think so, especially if he was being successful at something.

    At the VERY LEAST, he could send them a letter without an address. Enclose a picture of him holding up "today's USA Today" or something.

    I also think there's the possibility he could be working under his own name and SSN. (The family checked, and they don't have any verifiable emergency where Social Security Administration would forward a letter to his last known address/workplace.)
    But on the other hand, if he left because he was fed up with trying to fit in his family's box, why would he tell them? He might figure they would be so disapproving, they'd throw him out anyway, or he might just not care any more. Or maybe be afraid if they knew, they'd come after him.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    4,582
    Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
    Reposting from old thread:



    But on the other hand, if he left because he was fed up with trying to fit in his family's box, why would he tell them? He might figure they would be so disapproving, they'd throw him out anyway, or he might just not care any more. Or maybe be afraid if they knew, they'd come after him.
    They can't throw you out, if you never moved back.

    What's the old saying? Success is the best revenge?

    Here's a thought I've never mentioned: Steven's car. Whatever kind of flex/alt fuel it is (we don't know for sure), the car is "green friendly". That's not exactly the choice of a super-conservative, especially in Utah.

    Yet there's Steven, driving a car that's more climate-friendly than most. Unless you like that type of car, you generally avoid buying something like that.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ontario but a trucker so everywhere.
    Posts
    14,984
    Can a PI find out info on ssn being used? Will the family take the offer of the PI?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    18,098
    Quote Originally Posted by laytonian View Post
    They can't throw you out, if you never moved back.

    What's the old saying? Success is the best revenge?

    Here's a thought I've never mentioned: Steven's car. Whatever kind of flex/alt fuel it is (we don't know for sure), the car is "green friendly". That's not exactly the choice of a super-conservative, especially in Utah.

    Yet there's Steven, driving a car that's more climate-friendly than most. Unless you like that type of car, you generally avoid buying something like that.
    I didn't mean literally thrown out, I meant cut off from the family. So if he figured they're going to cut ties anyway, he may have decided to break away first. Sort of like the joke about "You can't fire me, I quit!"

    I don't think that's what happened, but it's possible.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    4,582
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyRed View Post
    Can a PI find out info on ssn being used?
    Without knowing where the person is working, you still have to go through tthe SS Administration. Even a subpoena or search warrant might not be possible, because there'd have to be darned good legal reason for it.

    (We really don't want the SS database to be easily cracked by PIs, hackers, etc...nor do we want our personal information available that easily.)

    Employers make their SS payments quarterly, meaning it'd be a few months before was obtainable from the system. AND if the results were zilch, you've wasted your one chance. I think it's a last-ditch communication means...and since it's one-way, you wouldn't know if it worked, if they didn't respond.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,812
    Quote Originally Posted by laytonian View Post
    Without knowing where the person is working, you still have to go through tthe SS Administration. Even a subpoena or search warrant might not be possible, because there'd have to be darned good legal reason for it.

    (We really don't want the SS database to be easily cracked by PIs, hackers, etc...nor do we want our personal information available that easily.)

    Employers make their SS payments quarterly, meaning it'd be a few months before was obtainable from the system. AND if the results were zilch, you've wasted your one chance. I think it's a last-ditch communication means...and since it's one-way, you wouldn't know if it worked, if they didn't respond.
    I really don't think LE needs a subpoena or search warrant to check SS activity. I think it's pretty standard with missing persons cases.

    My first post relating to this was lost at the end of the last thread, but this would be one of the first things LE would check - and I would hope check continuously in an active investigation. If someone harmed Steven and stole his identity, this would be a primary source of information.

  12. #12
    Pondering Mind's Avatar
    Pondering Mind is offline here a ponder, there a ponder...everywhere a ponder = ADD
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Over The Hills And Through The Woods..on the corner,S.C..
    Posts
    5,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairy1 View Post
    I really don't think LE needs a subpoena or search warrant to check SS activity. I think it's pretty standard with missing persons cases.

    My first post relating to this was lost at the end of the last thread, but this would be one of the first things LE would check - and I would hope check continuously in an active investigation. If someone harmed Steven and stole his identity, this would be a primary source of information.
    I'm just not sure how much luck LE would have without a subpoena or search warrant. I'll have to tell a quick story to explain why I believe that way though, lol..

    10 years ago my ex was WAY behind in child support and had left the state because of an arrest warrant for non payment among other reasons. Needless to say I couldn't find him and had no clue where to look. Family Court in SC wouldn't look for him out of state (they will look IF you receive AFDC or help from the state which I did not) even though he should have been easy to find since he draws a SS disability check. (he's not disabled, he's an addict and a con ) Anyway I have several friends in LE and one of them ran my ex's SS# for me which he really wasn't supposed to do but could do without getting into trouble because the x did have an active arrest warrant. Even doing that, my detective friend only came up with an address in my x's hometown in the same state and was convinced that's where he was. I even called LE there to inform them where he was and that there was a warrant for his arrest. The x NEVER was @ that addy though, he had gotten some mail there at one time, but that was it. Turns out, I found out a few years ago that he was in W Virginia all that time, but nobody could follow that disability check that would have led right to him..go figure ..I still don't understand why these agencies couldn't work in concert with one another. Never did get the C/S either, lol. I ended up waiving it so the x could come back to SC, my youngest child was 19 by that time and was in ICU with a fluke case of pneumonia and collapsed lung and his Dr's weren't sure if he was going to live. I sure didn't want money to be the reason the x was not able to come see him, I couldn't have lived with that myself. Thank God my son did make it, his dad did move back to a different city in SC, but NEVER did come see or even call him. A$$HOLE.......

    Back to Stephen (sorry to get so far off track ) I'm afraid since apparently there is no evidence of a crime, the fact that Steven is a grown man and it's not against the law to disappear, that there's not much that LE can legally do without a court order anyway. The above is just my experience and maybe there is some 'loophole' that would allow LE to get around the red tape that is sometimes involved.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    18,098
    I agree. Privacy regulations keep social security information under tight control and you can't use it just to find people -- the only person who is supposed to have access to the information is the person who owns the number.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    4,582
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairy1 View Post
    I really don't think LE needs a subpoena or search warrant to check SS activity. I think it's pretty standard with missing persons cases.

    My first post relating to this was lost at the end of the last thread, but this would be one of the first things LE would check - and I would hope check continuously in an active investigation..
    I disagree with much respect. It wouldn't do a bit of good to check "first thing" and continuously....because SS deposits are not continuous.

    SS deposits are made by employers quarterly (with a deadline a few weeks later) and then must go through the system. Even IF someone was using his SS, and the employer was legitimately handling SS contributions/deposits, they would not be attainable (at least) until May 1st.
    Checking SS "first thing" when Steven disappeared, would have told nothing.

    Then....what would you you find out? That he was employed by a certain employer (under that employer's TIN) sometime during Jan 1 2010 and Mar 31, 2010. It doesn't tell you where he is. The person's address would be considered private information.

    Ask your HR people.

    I'm kinda sorry I brought it up; I know why I did - but contacting for letter-forwarding is a one-time thing. Checking deposits is far after-the-fact.

    Anyway, IF Steven is out there and employed, don't you think he's being paid under the table? It kinda sounds like that's how he was paid by TH - in an independent contractor situation where TH has no responsibility for SS or any other taxes. Under an IE, the employee has to file "self employed" quarterly (SS contributions for employer and employee, quarterly estimated income tax, etc, etc). Betcha Steven did none of that.

    I'm glad they make it hard. Otherwise, anyone could go in and find everyone's SS records and other private info, and post it on the 'net.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ontario but a trucker so everywhere.
    Posts
    14,984
    When do you think they will have the results of the HD sighting?

Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #19
    By Cubby in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 553
    Last Post: 04-18-2011, 02:38 AM
  2. NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #18
    By Cubby in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 555
    Last Post: 12-07-2010, 05:14 PM
  3. NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #17
    By Cubby in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 666
    Last Post: 10-29-2010, 01:30 AM
  4. NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #12
    By Salem in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 667
    Last Post: 05-23-2010, 12:31 AM
  5. NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - # 2
    By believe09 in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 741
    Last Post: 01-20-2010, 10:32 AM

Tags for this Thread