Page 1 of 43 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 1073

Thread: WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #4

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,152

    WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #4

    At the request of some people here, I've started a second (or unofficially a 3rd thread because the 30 page thread was my 2nd Lyle Stevik thread

    So far, no new updates to Lyle's MySpace- but I'm constantly looking

    I've got a cold so I'll be checking the boards for new posts a good half of today

    See you guys sometime(s) today!

  2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to outofthedark For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,357
    Maybe we should provide links for the first two threads to add to the top of this one so we can kind of keep them together.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,152

    First Two Lyle Stevik threads

    Thread No.1: http://websleuths.com/forums/showthr...ht=lyle+stevik

    Thread No.2: http://websleuths.com/forums/showthr...ht=lyle+stevik

    CCM hasn't been here for a while- I wonder where he is?

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to outofthedark For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,493

    I did it!

    Well, I finally purchased and read "You Must Remember This" by Joyce Carol Oates, hoping to find some glimpse of why our Lyle might have associated with this book's character of the same name.

    A brief summary of the book can be found at http://www.nytimes.com/books/00/04/0...=1&oref=slogin

    I'll quote here a brief section of the aforementined article that specifically mentions Lyle:

    Lyle is different. Though he has none of Felix's adrenaline or Enid's single-mindedness, he is memorable. For in Lyle, Ms. Oates has given failure a habitation and a name. We feel the punishing sameness of his routines; we sit with him through the beers and shots that blur them for a few hours. His decline begins when a McCarthyite zealot denounces him as a Communist sympathizer because he keeps books in his shop and knows where the Soviet Union is. Lyle's morale never fully recovers from the police interrogation. And later, when a pretty client rejects his attentions, he all but collapses.

    Of note, the character Lyle is not the one involved in an incestuous relationship (in fact he has no knowledge of it), nor does he actually kill himself in the book. However, he does contemplate hanging himself with a rope at least twice during the course of the novel.

    Lyle takes solace in the fact that he has a basement in his store where he stores a length of rope behind a packing case. It's his "refuge" and his "sanctuary." He thinks of how people that know him see him as "a vigorous tireless ebuillient soul, a go-getter" but laments that "Lyle Stevick was otherwise, phony and tattered..." His desperate prayer, like that of Lear, was "O let me not be mad, not mad, sweet heaven!," and he was extremely worried about thermonuclear war, even going into debt in order to build a bomb shelter in the backyard for his family.

    It's difficult to speculate upon why our Lyle might have associated himself with the literary Lyle, especially because Lyle Stevick was one of the more minor characters in the book. In fact he was a middle aged man and father of four. If our Lyle had identified with literary Lyle's half-brother Felix, we would have all kinds of titillating scenarios to wonder about. The only thing that really stood out to me is the underlying current of death throughout the novel. Other characters deal with an attempted suicide, an abortion, a presumed mafia-related murder, serious illness, and deadly and near-deadly accidents and beatings.

    I have to wonder if our Lyle really identified with the book's Lyle Stevick, or if he had simply read the book recently and liked the name.

  7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to annemc2 For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,152
    Quote Originally Posted by annemc2
    Well, I finally purchased and read "You Must Remember This" by Joyce Carol Oates, hoping to find some glimpse of why our Lyle might have associated with this book's character of the same name.

    A brief summary of the book can be found at http://www.nytimes.com/books/00/04/0...=1&oref=slogin

    I'll quote here a brief section of the aforementined article that specifically mentions Lyle:

    Lyle is different. Though he has none of Felix's adrenaline or Enid's single-mindedness, he is memorable. For in Lyle, Ms. Oates has given failure a habitation and a name. We feel the punishing sameness of his routines; we sit with him through the beers and shots that blur them for a few hours. His decline begins when a McCarthyite zealot denounces him as a Communist sympathizer because he keeps books in his shop and knows where the Soviet Union is. Lyle's morale never fully recovers from the police interrogation. And later, when a pretty client rejects his attentions, he all but collapses.

    Of note, the character Lyle is not the one involved in an incestuous relationship (in fact he has no knowledge of it), nor does he actually kill himself in the book. However, he does contemplate hanging himself with a rope at least twice during the course of the novel.

    Lyle takes solace in the fact that he has a basement in his store where he stores a length of rope behind a packing case. It's his "refuge" and his "sanctuary." He thinks of how people that know him see him as "a vigorous tireless ebuillient soul, a go-getter" but laments that "Lyle Stevick was otherwise, phony and tattered..." His desperate prayer, like that of Lear, was "O let me not be mad, not mad, sweet heaven!," and he was extremely worried about thermonuclear war, even going into debt in order to build a bomb shelter in the backyard for his family.

    It's difficult to speculate upon why our Lyle might have associated himself with the literary Lyle, especially because Lyle Stevick was one of the more minor characters in the book. In fact he was a middle aged man and father of four. If our Lyle had identified with literary Lyle's half-brother Felix, we would have all kinds of titillating scenarios to wonder about. The only thing that really stood out to me is the underlying current of death throughout the novel. Other characters deal with an attempted suicide, an abortion, a presumed mafia-related murder, serious illness, and deadly and near-deadly accidents and beatings.

    I have to wonder if our Lyle really identified with the book's Lyle Stevick, or if he had simply read the book recently and liked the name.
    It's really hard to guess who he saw himself in because Lyle Stevik took all that with him when he died and we will never know that. I do like your theory that he could have seen himself in another character

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to outofthedark For This Useful Post:


  10. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    88
    This is just a speculation and my impression..I think our Lyle identified with the character Lyle perhaps on just one level...that on the outside both seem to be fine but on the inside each is deeply troubled, unhappy, suicidal....keeping a rope in the basement as an ''out'' should life become unbearable...I believe our Lyle could absolutely relate to that...What I find interesting is that the book (IMHO) is primarily read by women...no, I don't have statistics to prove this and it does sound stereotypical to say it, but I do have that sense of it....and men who do read it I would bet would be considered by their family and friends to be sensitive types...of course it is possible he never read the book and just heard about the character and identified with him...but somehow, I think he read the entire book. The books people read can be small clues to their personalities and characteristics...in our Lyle's case..it's one of the few clues he left behind.

  11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grievousangel For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    788
    Alot of people studying English, Fiction, or Literature read Joyce Carol Oates.. She has long been seen as one of America's best novelists. While I do agree that most recreational or enjoyment readers of Ms. Oates are probably women, our man may have been a student of the language?

  13. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    88
    Absolutely rayray!! I wonder if his picture has been distributed to Washington state (and surrounding states) universities, libraries, community or junior colleges? I keep thinking... who are the groups of ppl LEAST likely to see missing person fliers, unidentified people articles etc....we here are a group who search out and view these kinds of things...but I doubt if the general population does...still if you had a missing person in your family, I would think scouring these sites would be the plan of action .... getting his picture and story out to colleges, universities etc makes sense to me.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grievousangel For This Useful Post:


  15. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,152
    Quote Originally Posted by rayray
    Alot of people studying English, Fiction, or Literature read Joyce Carol Oates.. She has long been seen as one of America's best novelists. While I do agree that most recreational or enjoyment readers of Ms. Oates are probably women, our man may have been a student of the language?
    He probably excelled in English too given what we know about him

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to outofthedark For This Useful Post:


  17. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,493
    I did a search awhile back for syllabi that focused on the novel on an earlier thread - I think I found places in FL & PA if I recall correctly (but I probably don't). I can't check back right now because my kiddo is driving me nuts - but I agree with the PPs that reading JCO novels is primarily a women thing. I love to read and I have enjoyed JCO's writing in the past but had a harder time getting through this book. I wouldn't have picked it out (and maybe wouldn't have finished it) if it weren't for our Lyle. It's quite possible that he read it for a class.

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to annemc2 For This Useful Post:


  19. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,152

    I made a video for Lyle Stevik, more UID videos in the works

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucSZZTcFH_g

    A video about "Cali" is in the stages of process, don't know when I'll do it though...

  20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to outofthedark For This Useful Post:


  21. #12
    timetravel is offline care giver of all stray and feral cats who come my way.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    B-more
    Posts
    590
    good vid - is there a chance a picture of "lyle" could have been used in the video? Not the morgue photo - but one of the reconstruction ones? Or are these somehow copyrighted???

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to timetravel For This Useful Post:


  23. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,152
    Quote Originally Posted by timetravel View Post
    good vid - is there a chance a picture of "lyle" could have been used in the video? Not the morgue photo - but one of the reconstruction ones? Or are these somehow copyrighted???
    I was going to- but I wasn't sure how to put a title under a photo though...

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to outofthedark For This Useful Post:


  25. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    jersey city, nj
    Posts
    29
    probably a snowball's chance in hell, but damn doesn't this kid look like our lyle? http://www.youtube.com/user/Loeek

    maybe a long lost relative?

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to legendofcroft For This Useful Post:


  27. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,152
    Quote Originally Posted by legendofcroft View Post
    probably a snowball's chance in hell, but damn doesn't this kid look like our lyle? http://www.youtube.com/user/Loeek

    maybe a long lost relative?
    He does have a bit of a resemblance

  28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to outofthedark For This Useful Post:


  29. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    jersey city, nj
    Posts
    29
    who is the ukraine person that you sent le information about regarding lyle stevik?

  30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to legendofcroft For This Useful Post:


  31. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,152
    Quote Originally Posted by legendofcroft View Post
    who is the ukraine person that you sent le information about regarding lyle stevik?
    Valeriy Volodimirovich Nedelyko: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1415dmukr.html

    Possible longshot, but most of Nedelyko's Vital Statistics match Lyle's (height, eye colour and age range, possibly the dark hair colour)

    Here's the email I sent the current detective:

    I found a possible match for "Lyle Stevik"

    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1415dmukr.html

    The height, age, eye colour and possibly the hair matches

    I think that if the unidentified man's fingerprints didn't come up with a match in both the US and Canada, I'm wondering if he might have been an immigrant (illegally or undocumented) from Europe or from another continent. If you haven't as of yet, perhaps you should check his fingerprints/DNA/dentals against any foreign missing persons

  32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to outofthedark For This Useful Post:


  33. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    4,519
    It stood out that he may have had a Canadian accent. I have heard people from parts of WI and especially MN that sound Canadian.

  34. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,152
    Somebody on another board suggested that his Canadian sounding accent might have been a fake one, but that is possible

  35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to outofthedark For This Useful Post:


  36. #20

    Possible match for Lyle Stevik?

    Just saw this on the Doe Network

    What do you think?
    The height is a little off but....

    Look at the updates page, and look at "Thomas Lyon" on 8/31/07 updates (it's at the very bottom), he is case file 3458DMON

    I couldn't get the link to work, let me know what you think!

    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/233umwa.html

  37. The Following User Says Thank You to shipmatekate For This Useful Post:


  38. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,152
    I looked at that one, I'm not too sure about it... We could try

    Lyon looks as though he has earlobes in this photo- I could be wrong: http://www.opp.ca/missing/images/p20060117_01.jpg

    Good possibility though

  39. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Mt. Lookout, WV
    Posts
    699
    Don't think Thomas' eyebrows are a match. Lyle has very distinctive eyebrows.

  40. The Following User Says Thank You to LisainWV For This Useful Post:


  41. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    where the tall corn grows
    Posts
    1,179
    I don't think the jaw bone matches, either. But there are definate similarities! Good eye! I tend to look at the "unibrow" and sharp jaw as two distinct features of "lyle".

    "Lyle" sure resembles a lot of the terrorists wanted by the FBI IMO.

  42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to laini For This Useful Post:


  43. #24

    Thanks to all

    Who replied

    I was out of town and just got back.
    I thought there were similarities and he seemed to come from the right area, oh well! Onward!

  44. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,184
    Shipmatekate,

    IMHO there are some differences with the eyebrows and the cheekbones, but a young man can mature a lot over a few years' span of time. To me, there are enough similarities to point law enforcement towards this. If you're wrong, it's only someone else they can rule out. If you're right. . . .

Page 1 of 43 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. NY NY - New York City, BlkMale (UP5977), 35-45, In Hudson River, Sep'01
    By Snufamonbobball in forum The Unidentified
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 09-02-2013, 12:32 PM
  2. Replies: 650
    Last Post: 03-17-2010, 04:18 AM
  3. Replies: 862
    Last Post: 09-18-2007, 01:18 PM
  4. Replies: 37
    Last Post: 05-04-2006, 12:44 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •