NM NM - Patty Pritz, 14, & Mattie Restine, 13, Carlsbad, 11 Aug 1961 - #2

On the evening of Friday, August 11, 1961, Mattie Catherine Restine (13) and Patty Sue Pritz (14) went missing as they walked home from the "The Beach" area of Carlsbad, New Mexico. 36 hours later, their bodies were found by two rabbit hunters 12 miles northwest of town by Rocky Arroyo which is near Highway 137. The two had been shot in the head and sexually assaulted. A full scale investigation involving the New Mexico State Police, the FBI, the Eddy County Sheriff's Office (ECSO), and the Carlsbad Police Department was launched. No arrests were made and eventually the case went cold.

In January 2003, Investigator Jim Estrada of ECSO reopened the case. The New Mexico Media was reporting in October of that year that the 42 year old murder mystery was about to be solved. But by 2005, Estrada had retired and the case went cold for a second time. Now 48 years later, it still remains unsolved.

Anne Restine Self of Stigler, Oklahoma was 10 years old at the time of her sister's homicide. Almost single-handedly, she has kept the case alive in the Carlsbad and New Mexico public media. She has pressured the ECSO to investigate four suspects (all deceased) which she thinks may be responsible for the crime. Ann would like the DNA which was extracted from the girls clothing to be compared to the suspects (some of whose family members are willing to provide samples).

The Mattie/Patty murders is one of the most troubling cold cases in the nation. It involves the abduction, rape, and murder of two young teenage girls. There are rumors of a cover-up by law enforcement due to the suspects being "connected" to community leaders. One of the deputies, Dan McGrew, investigating the case died suddenly shortly afterwards. It was ruled a suicide, but some information indicates his death was a homicide. Either way, at least three deaths are directly linked.
Original post by Tom Beyer, thread #1, post #1

I'm not sure if this was posted so I will post it here.

CARLSBAD (AP) - The killer of teenagers Pattie sue Pritz, 14, and Mattie Catherine Restine, 13, was still at large today and police said there were no new leads in the case. An inquest jury met yesterday and ruled the girls died of gunshot wounds at the hands of an unknown person.

The jury heard testimony from the two men who discovered the two bodies Sunday and from Dr. Fred Haynes, Carlsbad pathologist who performed the autopsy.

Dr. Haynes said each girl was shot through the head and a large caliber weapon, probably a .38 was used by the killer.

He said there was no evidence that the girls were severely beaten before they were shot to death and that the skull fractures were probably caused by the bullets.

He also said that Mattie Restine was not raped and he was unable to determine if Patty Restine had been molested sexually. Her body, he said, was in an advanced stage of decomposition.

I'm not sure if this was posted so I will post it here.

CARLSBAD (AP) - The killer of teenagers Pattie sue Pritz, 14, and Mattie Catherine Restine, 13, was still at large today and police said there were no new leads in the case. An inquest jury met yesterday and ruled the girls died of gunshot wounds at the hands of an unknown person.

The jury heard testimony from the two men who discovered the two bodies Sunday and from Dr. Fred Haynes, Carlsbad pathologist who performed the autopsy.

Dr. Haynes said each girl was shot through the head and a large caliber weapon, probably a .38 was used by the killer.

He said there was no evidence that the girls were severely beaten before they were shot to death and that the skull fractures were probably caused by the bullets.

He also said that Mattie Restine was not raped and he was unable to determine if Patty Restine had been molested sexually. Her body, he said, was in an advanced stage of decomposition.

Thanks Ouiser for posting that article.
As we all have learned from the original investigation to the one started in 2003...the two rabbit hunters (?) that found Mattie and Patty's bodies that day never took lie detectors tests themselves. One because he didn't want to miss work..or he didn't want to mess up his day off with taking the tests. The other one...deliberately avoided the Eddy County Sheriff's Staff when they would go by and try and get him to the place they did the testing. They never found him home or around Carlsbad to take him in for the tests. Both of these guys did not try to help out with the investigation after finding the bodies...that has always bothered me.

They assumed Mattie wasn't raped because she had all her clothes on. Dr. Haynes said she was in her period...thing is...Mattie wasn't having periods ....period....I know that for a fact. The ECSO still hasn't answered my questions about that ....simple questions. I don't think the current staff at the ECSO has read the entire file on this murder case. And they need to do that.

Thanks Ouiser for posting that article.
As we all have learned from the original investigation to the one started in 2003...the two rabbit hunters (?) that found Mattie and Patty's bodies that day never took lie detectors tests themselves. One because he didn't want to miss work..or he didn't want to mess up his day off with taking the tests. The other one...deliberately avoided the Eddy County Sheriff's Staff when they would go by and try and get him to the place they did the testing. They never found him home or around Carlsbad to take him in for the tests. Both of these guys did not try to help out with the investigation after finding the bodies...that has always bothered me.

They assumed Mattie wasn't raped because she had all her clothes on. Dr. Haynes said she was in her period...thing is...Mattie wasn't having periods ....period....I know that for a fact. The ECSO still hasn't answered my questions about that ....simple questions. I don't think the current staff at the ECSO has read the entire file on this murder case. And they need to do that.

The ECSO Investigator replied to my email today and asked me questions regarding the autopsy and whether I was sure Mattie hadn't started her periods. I answered his questions ...I appreciate that he has tried to help me with these questions. I will scan and email him the information from the orginial investigation and a copy of the original autopsy.

The real important information in this case....1961 Double Murder, Carlsbad, NM ....Mattie Catherine Restine, age 13 yrs. old and Patty Sue Pritz, age 14 yrs. are in Part I....Please go back and read all the information....

Sunshine, my husband is a friend of the new mayor of Carlsbad, Dale Janway, and one of the things Dale hopes to do during his administration is to put together a team of retired law enforcement people to work on cold cases. He is hoping to get Jim Estrada involved in this endeavor. The case of Mattie and Patty is one he has said he would love to see solved. I know he has a lot on his plate right now but when I hear anything more about this, I will post it on here.

Sunshine, my husband is a friend of the new mayor of Carlsbad, Dale Janway, and one of the things Dale hopes to do during his administration is to put together a team of retired law enforcement people to work on cold cases. He is hoping to get Jim Estrada involved in this endeavor. The case of Mattie and Patty is one he has said he would love to see solved. I know he has a lot on his plate right now but when I hear anything more about this, I will post it on here.

Cowboy Fan thanks so much for this information. I would love to see something like that happen in Carlsbad...or Eddy County. This would be a blessing for the victim's families that have unsolved cases still out there. Jim Estrada would be an assest to this endeavor. Just hope he will consider it. Again thank you for the uplifting news.....

Sunshine 1950, I have seen this non for profit agency which works on cold cases with the blessing of Law Enforcement, free, mentioned at a few places here at WS.

If you are not familiar with them, here is the link:

http://www.vidocq.org/

You may want to read up on what they do and possibly request Law Enforcement request their services.

Prayers you find answers to solve your sisters case.

Sunshine 1950, I have seen this non for profit agency which works on cold cases with the blessing of Law Enforcement, free, mentioned at a few places here at WS.

If you are not familiar with them, here is the link:

http://www.vidocq.org/

You may want to read up on what they do and possibly request Law Enforcement request their services.

Prayers you find answers to solve your sisters case.

Yes, I've heard of this group. Thanks for reminding me of them.

Anne, I think there is a post that you need to see over on the Carlsbad Topix board. Not sure if I am supposed to post the link here so PM me if you do not have it bookmarked.

Anne, I think there is a post that you need to see over on the Carlsbad Topix board. Not sure if I am supposed to post the link here so PM me if you do not have it bookmarked.

Hi Tainted Angel...I did see the post...thank you for letting me know.
I feel so bad for the children of DBlair...they have been victims in this horrible crime as well as our own families have over the years. It does sound like David, Jr. is just now getting involved in this mess. I pray that he will have peace some day....I don't blame him for anything. He wasn't even born when this happened...but if he could share any information with me or go to the sheriff's office that would be great. His own mother can tell him alot about the information that has been talked about over the years.
I just hope that the families involved can help each other out...then just maybe we could get this case solved.
I pray each night that someone will come forward and tell the truth. It would mean so much to me to know what caused a person to kill Mattie and why! She was a very loving ,young girl who loved everyone. She didn't deserve to be killed and left out on the desert floor like some dead animal. The person that killed Mattie and Patty are just sick individuals that need to be held accountable for what they did. Even if they are dead thenselves now. The truth needs to come out...
Again thanks for the informaiton. Everyone has been so helpful...and I greatly appreciate it all.

I would like to know what happened to the investigative reports that were posted on the Part 1 section?

I would like to know what happened to the investigative reports that were posted on the Part 1 section?

Nothing has been removed from the part 1 section that I am aware of. Sometimes we edit posts if there is a copyright violation of a linked news article, but in that case we would snip/shorten the article to what we can post without violating copyright of a news article and still include the link.

Is there a particular post you have seen edited?

Have you used the "search within this thread feature" within part 1 to find what you are looking for? You can find that feature on the top of the first post within part one, when you click the link to part 1 in the first post within this thread.

hth (hope that helps).

Cubby,

We're not talking about a few posts. When thread 1 was closed it was 44 pages long. When I last checked, it was 41 pages long. All the posts containing the case specific documents acquired through the FOIA, and posted by Sunshine1950 are missing. These were quite extensive. As it stands, those of us who did not copy the info at the time it was posted can no longer access that info to recall what was in a LEO's report. The reports contained critical information on this case, and were indispensable. Without those reports we are kind of dead in the water in moving ahead on this case.

I just uncovered one lone document posted elsewhere, on another board, which placed a POI at the crime scene 5 mos. later. It turns out that Patty Sue Pritz was working or had worked for this person according to Sunshine1950. We had not even begun to look into this person as a potential suspect. He was brought in for questioning because the FBI got wind that he owned a .38 derringer, which he denied owning when questioned.

Cubby,

We're not talking about a few posts. When thread 1 was closed it was 44 pages long. When I last checked, it was 41 pages long. All the posts containing the case specific documents acquired through the FOIA, and posted by Sunshine1950 are missing. These were quite extensive. As it stands, those of us who did not copy the info at the time it was posted can no longer access that info to recall what was in a LEO's report. The reports contained critical information on this case, and were indispensable. Without those reports we are kind of dead in the water in moving ahead on this case.

I just uncovered one lone document posted elsewhere, on another board, which placed a POI at the crime scene 5 mos. later. It turns out that Patty Sue Pritz was working or had worked for this person according to Sunshine1950. We had not even begun to look into this person as a potential suspect. He was brought in for questioning because the FBI got wind that he owned a .38 derringer, which he denied owning when questioned.

Cubby I've tried several times to pull these posts up....they just aren't there....anywhere that I can see.
Justthinkin thanks for the informaiton. Yes, I believe we are talking about 50 + reports that have just disappeared. And yes, it has put a stop to looking back and re-reading these posts...that are the very meat of the investigation....without them we are lost. I'm very upset and don't really know how to express the disappointment and loss of very important informaion we have lost.
If there is any way to get these post back....please....please do it.
I spent days putting these posts on here...very long, long hours of posting these documents down the drain.....
I'm just sick.

First, the posts that I moved from this thread -part two only- were questions belonging in the 'threadiquette' thread for posting questions. Those included why we start a second thread on a case, or what bump means... nothing about the case itself.

For the person who asked who's Cubby, I am one of the moderators in the Cold Case forum.

Tricia and Sunshine 1950 have been in contact regarding the missing 'investigative reports" posts.

Sunshine has been notified of the reason the posts were removed and she and Tricia are working on it..........

Please continue sleuthing this case.... but we'll have to leave the discussion regarding the investigative reports until another time when the issue Tricia and Sunshine 1950 are working on comes to a conclusion....

thanks for your patience while I tried getting this issue resolved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back