Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: NM - Double murder of Mattie Restine (13) & Patty Pritz (14), Carlsbad, 1961 - #2

Sunshine 1950, it would be so uplifting if someone out there has a tip or a recollection about your dear sister Mattie Restine and her friend Patty Pritz and the terrible events that resulted in their deaths on August 11 1961.
    I am sure the girls' classmates have also been traumatized and saddened by this cruel and cowardly act - and to just learn the truth about the who, what and why of this crime - might go a long way in healing a 50 year old wound.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

Bumping for Mattie Catherine Restine and Patty Sue Pritz....50 years since their murders took place in Eddy County, near Carlsbad, New Mexico.
    Please keep this case going. I truly believe it can be solved. I appreciate all the prayers and support from the people who have worked on this case....here on Websleuths and other forums. Our families need your help in solving this case.

I just finished an interview with Larry Barker from KRQE Ch. 13, Albuquerque, NM
    He said it would air sometime in November. This interview was a very emotional honor for me to talk about Mattie...which should help not only the family members of Mattie and Patty, but to let the people know that they haven't been forgotten. Thank You Larry Barker and also Mark...you two were very gracious during this interview.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sunshine 1950 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine 1950 View Post
    Bumping for Mattie Catherine Restine and Patty Sue Pritz....50 years since their murders took place in Eddy County, near Carlsbad, New Mexico.
    Please keep this case going. I truly believe it can be solved. I appreciate all the prayers and support from the people who have worked on this case....here on Websleuths and other forums. Our families need your help in solving this case.

I just finished an interview with Larry Barker from KRQE Ch. 13, Albuquerque, NM
    He said it would air sometime in November. This interview was a very emotional honor for me to talk about Mattie...which should help not only the family members of Mattie and Patty, but to let the people know that they haven't been forgotten. Thank You Larry Barker and also Mark...you two were very gracious during this interview.
    This is fantastic news!Kudos to Larry Barker from KRQE Ch. 13 for taking on this very worthy and deserving case! I hope that the show will somehow be available to be viewed everywhere, as I am sure many people- including some who may have info. may have moved from the area.
    Sunshine 1950, you would make your big sister, Mom and Dad and brother proud. Actually, anyone who has have been kicked in the teeth and got back up over and over again, must of torn a page from your book.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

Mattie Catherine Restine & Patty Sue Pritz's Unsolved Murder Case

Quote Originally Posted by dotr View Post
    This is fantastic news!Kudos to Larry Barker from KRQE Ch. 13 for taking on this very worthy and deserving case! I hope that the show will somehow be available to be viewed everywhere, as I am sure many people- including some who may have info. may have moved from the area.
    Sunshine 1950, you would make your big sister, Mom and Dad and brother proud. Actually, anyone who has have been kicked in the teeth and got back up over and over again, must of torn a page from your book.
    Thank You dotr...Yes, I'm excited they will be doing the show. I think it might help people learn about the case and maybe someday someone will come forward and tell the ECSO the truth about their murders. The show will air sometime in November. I will try and put it on here when I find out for sure. I've been working on the book again...so hopefully it will be out soon. I will never stop seeking JUSTICE for Mattie and Patty.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunshine 1950 For This Useful Post:

Bumping this case for Mattie and Patty.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreamnine For This Useful Post:

Think back , someone must have the right tip to bust open the case of Mattie Restine and Patty Pritz, murdered- August 11 1961, Carlsbad NM.Please help make this the year to help heal this 50 year wound.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

Thanks Dotr...

Please remember that there will be a story about Mattie Restine and Patty Pritz in November with Larry Barker reporting on Ch. 13, KRQE....Albuquergue,NM.
    I will try and post the date when I know for sure.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sunshine 1950 For This Useful Post:

Looking forward to that show and hoping lots of folks here at WS will watch it too!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

Just wanted to repost this link because it shows a nice large photo of the sweet faces of Patty Pritz and Mattie Restine.....

http://www.maddieandpatty.com/
    "WHY THIS DOUBLE MURDER NEEDS TO BE SOLVED

It involved the kidnapping, rape, and murder of two young teenage girls.
    It has remained unresolved for over 48 years.
    There is no shortage of suspects (at least five).
    This case has gone cold twice.
    All principal suspects continued to reside in Carlsbad or West Texas.
    One of the Sheriff's Deputies involved in the case, D M, either committed suicide or was murdered in 1965.
    Three of the main suspects had either been convicted of rape and child molestation or had been suspected of those crimes".

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

Well it is November and I am looking forward to hearing about the Mattie Restine and Patty Pritz story on Ch. 13, KRQE with Larry Barker!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

Bumping...

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreamnine For This Useful Post:

Mattie Restine & Patty Pritz Murder Case

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine 1950 View Post
    Thanks Dotr...

Please remember that there will be a story about Mattie Restine and Patty Pritz in November with Larry Barker reporting on Ch. 13, KRQE....Albuquergue,NM.
    I will try and post the date when I know for sure.
    The report on Mattie and Patty's Unsolved Murder case will be on November 17th, Larry Barker will be reporting on this case ....Channel 13, KRQE TV, starting at 10 pm, Albuquerque, NM

Please watch this report...it is to help get information out to the public ...but it is also a Memorial for the girls as well.

Thank You. Larry Barker....I appreciate your help in getting this case solved. An for the gracious way you have chosen to report this case to the public.
    For remembering Mattie and Patty...two beautiful little girls....Justice should be served. No matter how long it takes.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sunshine 1950 For This Useful Post:

I am so excited to hear about the airing of the show about Mattie and Patty!
    Kudos to Larry Barker for addressing this 50 year old crime, against two innocent girls and to you Sunshine1950, for being the kind of sister who would make a Mother,Father,Brother and especially, a Sister proud!

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

Thanks dotr...i did this to bring JUSTICE for Mattie and Patty. And for my parents. I just pray that information comes out after this report. I do thank Larry Barker for doing this report. I know he was so gracious while he was interviewing me and I could tell he really cared about Mattie and Patty's precious lives being remembered.
    Also I would like to thank all of the individuals here on Websleuths and all over the USA that have tried to help get this case solved. If it weren't for people like you I wouldn't have made it these past 11 yrs. Again Thank You All.
    Of course...I will never stop seeking JUSTICE for Mattie and Patty. So if anyone has any tips or information on this case ...please don't hesitate to contact me or the Eddy County Sheriff's Dept. in Carlsbad, NM.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sunshine 1950 For This Useful Post:

I knew it, I just knew it when I saw the ad on KRQE of Larry Barker investigating a 50 yr old murder! I hooped and hollered and was hoping it was about this case. I have a sticky note on my TV to remind me (not that I'd forget) to watch it this Thursday night at 10:00, I can hardly wait, I'll be glued to the TV. Things are finally starting to look up Anne! I just have a feeling that the ECSO will be slamming doors in Larry's face but I really hope not. I'm praying, praying, praying!

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bobbi For This Useful Post:

Mattie Restine & Patty Pritz Murder Case.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbi View Post
    I knew it, I just knew it when I saw the ad on KRQE of Larry Barker investigating a 50 yr old murder! I hooped and hollered and was hoping it was about this case. I have a sticky note on my TV to remind me (not that I'd forget) to watch it this Thursday night at 10:00, I can hardly wait, I'll be glued to the TV. Things are finally starting to look up Anne! I just have a feeling that the ECSO will be slamming doors in Larry's face but I really hope not. I'm praying, praying, praying!
    Yes, Larry Barker will be doing an investigative report on Mattie Catherine Restine (13 yrs.) and Patty Sue Pritz (14 yrs.) Unsolved Murder Case. This Thursday night on CH. 13, KRQE, Albuquerque, NM. Time is 10 P.M.
    Please everyone watch this show. If you can't get it on TV...look on your computers. KRQE.com out of Albuquerque, NM.

I believe the Eddy County Sheriff's Dept. talked with Larry Barker. Also several other individuals from the Carlsbad area.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sunshine 1950 For This Useful Post:

I am going to see if I figure out a way to see the show , maybe later the TV station will upload the airing on internet. For all that we may have lost with the changing times and technology, it is amazing to think that a crime that took place 50 years ago in Carlsbad , can be broadcast all over the world!
    I hope everyone watches" Thursday night on CH. 13, KRQE, Albuquerque, NM. Time 10 P.M".
    Hope. I love that word!

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

I think this is the correct link for the show.
    http://www.krqe.com/subindex/news/larry_barker

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

Here it is, I cannot wait to watch this!
    http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/larry_b...till-resonates

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

(From above link)
    50-year-old murder mystery still resonates

Girls’ deaths remain under investigation

Updated: Thursday, 17 Nov 2011, 11:07 PM MST
    Published : Thursday, 17 Nov 2011, 10:10 PM MST
    Larry Barker

CARLSBAD, NM (KRQE) - Despite the passage of more than a half-century, it’s a crime that still haunts this small, southeast New Mexico town.

Two girls in their early teens disappear from a popular hang-out spot, only to be found two days later dumped outside town, executed. The killer has never been found.

“They weren’t prostitutes,” said Anne Restine Self, the sister of one of the victims. “They weren’t drug dealers. They were little girls.”

And while the case has been re-opened over the years and remains under investigation by the Eddy County Sheriff’s Office, authorities are no closer to solving the murders today than they were 50 years ago.

Asked what it would take to bring the killer or killers to justice, Eddy County Sheriff Ernest Mendoza said, “Actually somebody to come forth and confess.”

40. The Following User Says Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

A person would have to have a heart of stone to not want to step forward with information to solve this crime and soothe the pain of a grieving sister.
    "There’s been several times I thought about killing myself because I couldn’t handle it,” Self said. “I feel like I need to find out what happened to her and why. Because she was a sweet little girl. Why did it happen?”

42. The Following User Says Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

I watched the film and thought it was pretty well reported..

I really hope someone does come forward.

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreamnine For This Useful Post:

Sunshine 1950, I watched with great interest Larry Barkerís report last night. Was well done, and I saw lots of people I know including friend Bonny (Clark) Sexton. You did a great job with Barker, your emotional plea for help in solving the case hopefully will bring someone to the forefront. The report has been the topic of interest around town in the last few days. I will listen around now and see what I hear after it aired. I am still disappointed that ECSO did not re-interview (AB) before she passed away, But there is still one living member of that family (KB) he is (DBís) brother and wonder what it would take to get any information from him? Donít know if he even knows anything but maybe last chance. As a side note, I saw Jimmy Estrada few weeks ago he is having serious health problems. One thing fore sure there are still many of us here who WILL NEVER FORGET.

Ps Just got back from around you part of the country, close as I got was Ft Smith, but I too enjoyed the fall trees and taking photos if them.

46. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doggone For This Useful Post:

For anyone who hasn't seen it, Larry Barker's report is well worth watching; (links above me) also there are photos and other info there.

48. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreamnine For This Useful Post:

Sunshine,

Just watched the video. Thought it was well done. Bless your heart. Your pain is still so apparent, it brought tears to my eyes. It is truly disturbing that evidence was allowed to disappear.

Funny, I would have sworn ECSO told you the diary was missing, but I see they apparently still have it. At least they can hang onto something!

Also, I thought ECSO had blown off the sighting on Mesquite in favor of the girls having been taken from Church Street. I guess it depends on who the current investigator is(if you want to call them that, sitting on their rear waiting for a confession to fall into their lap) as to what street the girls disappeared from.

There are still two things that tell me this wasn't done by a local, and that's the fact the girls were shot execution style. How they were killed means something. Then the fact that their abductor's car lights were visible and witnessed from the highway. I still can't imagine a local would have made that mistake.

Shot execution style adds an element of distance, meaning that if Patti was the target of a local, the murder itself would have been more personal as in her being beaten to death or someone having emptied their gun into her or stabbed her numerous times. Overkill. That's the kind of thing you would expect to see in a rage killing according to what I've read by several profilers. Its absence lends itself to this being more of a stranger killer, a sexual predator, and I would think someone with some experience since he was brazen enough to risk taking two girls.

I know you don't think that is the case, and still think it was a local, but please give some thought to what profilers who've written books have to say on the subject.

Shot execution style says to me the killer most likely had no personal involvement with either Patty or Mattie.

I feel sure ECSO interviewed the killer, but just missed something. Maybe they even gave him a lie detector test, but if the person was a psychopath, he would've passed with flying colors, and that could've thrown them off.

I just don't think the person was from Carlsbad, perhaps Artesia or Roswell instead. A person in their twenties would think nothing of driving that distance to go hang out at the beach. The pictures from the video made the beach all the more real for me. It was a bigger deal than I'd previously thought. If someone from either of those places or smaller communities to the north was responsible it makes sense that they would choose to kill the girls off the highway they'd come south on to get to Carlsbad in the first place. It would make their getaway quicker if they were headed back to the north having come from there.

I wonder if Patti had been at the beach the weekend before? If anyone had been seen observing her prior to the night she and Mattie disappeared? She obviously was the target. The question is did the killer pick her out that Friday night or on some prior date when she was at the beach? Could it have been a carnival worker?

I wonder if ECSO has ever bothered to track down all of the people they interviewed back then to see what they've been up to over the years. Instead of sitting around waiting, they could see if anything new could be learned of the people they interviewed way back when. Some of those people are bound to have lengthy criminal histories.

One more thing, that the killer even knew about that beach park's existence indicates he most probably was from NM, and maybe had lived in Carlsbad at one time so he felt comfortable enough to commit that type of crime there, and he most likely lived within easy driving distance of Carlsbad.
    I'm guessing most in Artesia would know about the beach, and possibly some from Roswell.

I wonder whatever happened to the guy from Artesia? that had scratches on his arm, but claimed they were from something else. ECSO could at least look into that guy's background today and see what he'd been up to since 1961.

jt
    Last edited by justthinkin; 11-21-2011 at 03:33 AM.

50. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to justthinkin For This Useful Post:

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast