GUILTY TN - Sony Millbrook, 28, Memphis, 28 January 2010

summer_breeze

Reaction score
http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpp/news/local/020110-family-searching-for-missing-mother-of-5

Family Searching for Missing Mother of 5
Updated: Monday, 01 Feb 2010, 5:49 PM CSTPublished : Monday, 01 Feb 2010, 5:46 PM CST

Lauren Johnson
28-year old Sony Millbrook has family members worried about her whereabouts.

Her brother, 28-year old TJ Shields, says their mother is worried sick.

"Mom's not feeling well, she's taking it really bad, she taking it kind of bad."

Memphis Police say Millbrook was last seen at Westside Middle School dropping off one of her five children. Investigators say the mother of 5 was also a student herself at Southwest Tennessee Community College, and her routine was to drop her children off before school, and pick them up afterwards. Her mother received a call last Wednesday.

"It appears to be, she dropped the kids off and disappeared."

The girl's mother isn't sure if her daughter attended classes that day, but she does know she missed an appointment at the Social Security office at 1:00pm.

One of the 5 children told police an old boyfriend, and the father of four of the children, 34-year old Lakeith Moody, had just gotten out of jail. Moody has a long history of violence, said Shields. He siad that she was possibly trying to meet Moody after a 10-year incarceration.

Family members came by the Budget Lodge on East Brooks Road looking for Millbrook, where she had been living with a man in room 222. A hotel staff member tells police the room had been out for lack of payment the day she went missing, but all of the belongings were still inside.

Sony will be celebrating her 29th birthday on February 10th. If you have any information about Sony Millbrook, you're asked to call the Memphis Police Department's Missing Persons Bureau at (901) 545-COPS (3677).

It appears a missing woman's body has been under a motel bed for several months hidden inside a metal fram with a mattress and box spring on top.

On January 27, Sony Millbrook was reported missing to the Memphis Police Department after she failed to pick-up her children from school.

Police were told by family members Millbrook had been staying at the Budget Inn at 1533 East Brooks Road. Motel workers said the room had been locked for lack of payment and all Millbrook's personal belongings were still inside.

A Homicide Investigator eventually went to the Budget Inn and spoke to two clerks and a security guard. The investigator was told Millbrook's items had been boxed and the room was once again being rented.

Monday, police were called to the motel room where Millbrook had stayed because of a foul odor.

Inside, Millbrook's body was found under the bed.
http://www.wpix.com/news/nationworld/wreg-sony-millbrook,0,6595391.story

Rest in peace Sony.

How horrible! this poor woman was found in the bed springs - dead! The room rented 5 times and cleaned by staff. How could the staff not have noticed the 'death' odor for months? Didn't LE check the room for her body - how terrible for her and the family. My heartfelt condolenses to all those who love and care for her.

She had the prettiest eyes. Condolences to her family and friends. I read she had children? God bless them.

I'm speechless, this is unbelievable - how on earth could no one notice!! and what an incredible amount of neglect on the part of those who should have checked the room throroughly

The bizarre part is that she's been missing since January and the hotel room was rented out and cleaned 5 times and she was there the whole time?!?! I don't understand how it could not have smelled horribly?

"Sony Millbrook had been been renting a room at the Budget Inn, which suddenly stopped receiving payments at the end of January, MyFoxMemphis.com reported.

Memphis authorities are baffled as to how a mother who disappeared in January ended up dead under a hotel mattress -- and wasn't found until nearly two months later.

Sony Millbrook had been been renting a room at the Budget Inn, which suddenly stopped receiving payments at the end of January, MyFoxMemphis.com reported.

That was about the same time that relatives grew concerned because she didn't pick up her kids from school. The family members went to the hotel but didn't find Millbrook there, and she was reported missing Jan. 27.

The hotel boxed up her belonging and released the room for rent. Since then, it has been rented out about five times and cleaned by hotel staff numerous times, MyFoxMemphis.com reported.

The missing person case quickly turned into a homicide investigation when her body was found under the mattress Monday. No suspects have been identified, but police have charged Millbrook's boyfriend, LaKeith Moody, with a gun violation and consider him a person of interest in the case.

Longtime police officials have noted they've "never heard of anything like this," Joseph Scott, Memphis police's deputy chief of investigative services, said. "It's stranger than fiction."

The bed where Millbrook was found is a metal box frame that sits on the floor, and the box springs and mattress are set inside the frame, MyFoxMemphis.com reported."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/03/17/missing-woman-hotel-mattress-tennessee/?test=latestnews

Now you would think, and this is just me, that it would be standard opperating procedure anytime someone renting a room just seems to disappear leaving all of their belongings behind, that the police would be notified at that time, before the room is packed up, cleaned and rented out again.

The poor person who ended up finally finding her body!

VB

How could this not have been noticed by smell alone??

Even if the smell was not noticed, which boggles my mind, the room was rented out five times? Didn't anyone mention the bed was lumpy and uncomfortable?

Now you would think, and this is just me, that it would be standard opperating procedure anytime someone renting a room just seems to disappear leaving all of their belongings behind, that the police would be notified at that time, before the room is packed up, cleaned and rented out again.

The poor person who ended up finally finding her body!

VB

Police were notified by her family. A homicide investigator went to the hotel and talked to clerks, but her room was not searched at that time. You'd think if a person went missing, the room would be searched but it was not. Since it was cleaned multiple times before the body was discovered, good luck finding the evidence.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/wreg-sony-millbrook,0,4670791.story

Even if the smell was not noticed, which boggles my mind, the room was rented out five times? Didn't anyone mention the bed was lumpy and uncomfortable?

I don't understand how exactly she were hidden, but if she were in a box spring, the bed would not be uncomfortable. You'd think thought the room would be smelling long before somebody finally noticed something.

I don't understand how exactly she were hidden, but if she were in a box spring, the bed would not be uncomfortable. You'd think thought the room would be smelling long before somebody finally noticed something.

I guess I never pictured her being in a box spring. Mine is covered on all sides, but I guess there are others that have open areas you could stick a body in.

Hubby mentioned last night, after he read the article, that this seems to be the type of place people stay long term, instead of just renting for a night. If that is true, then it may mean that the five times it has been rented out since her death resulted in short stays due to a bad smell. And that could be why a more indepth cleaning was done now, because however that room was cleaned before, it didn't include flipping the mattress.

You and your husband are doing some good thinking on this.

Other than that, I just have to say: This really skeeves me! Maybe because I just stayed in a sort of dumpy hotel last night? Brrrr.....

Seems like LE should have done a thorough search of this woman's hotel room when she went missing. Someone dropped the ball here!

Seems like LE should have done a thorough search of this woman's hotel room when she went missing. Someone dropped the ball here!

As I understand it, LE didn't do any search, let alone thorough. From what's been reported, the homicide investigator talked to clerks at the hotel but did not check inside her room.
Boggles the mind, does it not?

As I understand it, LE didn't do any search, let alone thorough. From what's been reported, the homicide investigator talked to clerks at the hotel but did not check inside her room.
Boggles the mind, does it not?

Who would think to look between a matress and box spring?:waitasec:

Just imagine the poor people that have since learned they were sleeping on top of her....shiver.......

I know I will never forget this story and I'll be checking under and between each and every time I stay in a hotel room from now on!

How horrible. The smell had to be there. It sounds like it was maybe a platform bed. Just a box with some press wood on top, then the box spring and mattress go on top of that. She must have been in the platform? Maybe the mattress had been flipped, but the box spring and boards never moved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back