1095 users online (168 members and 927 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

NJ - Black people must leave, Walmart announcer says

WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP, N.J. (AP) -- A Walmart store announcement ordering black people to leave brought chagrin and apologies Wednesday from leaders of the company, which has built a fragile trust among minority communities.
    A male voice came over the public-address system Sunday evening at a store in Washington Township, in southern New Jersey, and calmly announced: "Attention, Walmart customers: All black people, leave the store now."
    Shoppers in the store at the time said a manager quickly got on the public-address system and apologized for the remark. And while it was unclear whether a rogue patron or an employee was responsible for the comment, many customers expressed their anger to store management.

All the more reson to go to Target. I hate Walmart.

Anybody can pick up one of the phones and make an announcement. A customer, random employee, etc. It's not hard at all. (I've seen it done.)

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

I love Walmart, they are by far the cheapest place in town and the stores are actually clean, unlike Target and Kmart in my area. So, I adore them. But we all know the "White trash and Walmart" stereotype.

They really need to close down their open access announcement system. This certainly isn't helping the stereotype.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by not_my_kids View Post
    I love Walmart, they are by far the cheapest place in town and the stores are actually clean, unlike Target and Kmart in my area. So, I adore them. But we all know the "White trash and Walmart" stereotype.

They really need to close down their open access announcement system. This certainly isn't helping the stereotype.
    They should impement some sort of code that the employee must enter in able to get access to the announcement system. I think this is just horrible...how in the world would anyone think that was funny. Whoever did it is truly a...

I don't see how a random customer could do that. It was more than likely an employee. They are attached to certain registers or in customer service. Here I find Target to be cleaner and just as good on prices. Walmart isn't one stop shopping IMO becasue I have to go elsewhere for meats and with the savings clubs other stores offer, you get better deals on some stuff with the 2 for 1 deals and such. I just don't find anymore where they are the low price leader.

Quote Originally Posted by slowbutsteady View Post
    They should impement some sort of code that the employee must enter in able to get access to the announcement system. I think this is just horrible...how in the world would anyone think that was funny. Whoever did it is truly a...
    I agree that person is a loser.....

All retails store has access to get to the speakers. So I think it was employee or ex-employee or they got lucky with the code.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sisters View Post
    I don't see how a random customer could do that. It was more than likely an employee. They are attached to certain registers or in customer service. Here I find Target to be cleaner and just as good on prices. Walmart isn't one stop shopping IMO becasue I have to go elsewhere for meats and with the savings clubs other stores offer, you get better deals on some stuff with the 2 for 1 deals and such. I just don't find anymore where they are the low price leader.
    But the phones are always active, even those that are not connected to a manned register. Anyone could pick up a phone at an empty register. I've done it when I didn't have time to wait an hour for customer service to page someone. Here, you pick up the receiver, press * and hold 9 to announce. Not to complicated, really.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

all i have to say is........

jersey............

I've done it before when I needed help at the paint counter. After waiting for about 30 minutes I picked up the phone, hit intercom and said "customer needs assistant at the paint department". My kids could not believe I did that!

I did that at Walmart

Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    I agree it's very easy for a customer to see one unattended and pick up the phone and say what they want.
    At my local Wal-Mart, they have them on poles in various departments. I know there is one on the desk by the dressing rooms. There is not always an employee at the desk. There is one by the paint counter.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

I can't stand Target here. They have gotten so dumpy and dirty in the past couple of years. Their shelf stock is either low or non existent. Their prices are much higher than Walmart. My Walmart is also the cleanest store in town.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sisters View Post
    ...i respectfully DISagree!!! why in the world would an employee do this, unless they were trying to get fired?? of course there is also the possibility that some idiot worker did this- or was "dared" to do it- as some lame (and UNfunny) "prank." so, soooo funny- NOT! i also agree totally w/other posters who stated how easy it would be for any customer to do this; wal-mart's in-store phones are everywhere, all OVER these stores, many of them mounted on posts/poles within grabbing distance for anyone with eyes. as much as i don't like w-mart's backward employee "policies," i don't think the chain should be blamed for the "announcement," unless it is proved that an employee is the guilty party. jmo, moo...
    George Eliot: "We constantly ask for God's mercy while showing none ourselves..."

Quote Originally Posted by kbl8201 View Post
    all i have to say is........

jersey............
    If you knew the area of Jersey that it happened in; you wouldn't expect it to happen here.

I try to stay out of this particular Walmart because I hate the store layout as well as the parking but it's convenient when you have to shop at a Walmart.

I'm not sure where their phones are so I have no clue if customers have access to the PA system.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast