GUILTY FL - Wayne Treacy for savage beating of 15yo girl, Deerfield Beach, 17 March 2010

JoeFromLB

Reaction score
http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/18/1534837/girl-in-critical-condition-after.html

An eighth-grade student was critically injured Wednesday afternoon at Deerfield Beach Middle School in what authorities called "a savage beating'' by a teen who stomped her with steel-toe boots.

Multiple adult and student witnesses told investigators that Josie Lou Ratley, 15, was beaten up by Wayne Treacy, 15, a ninth-grader at Deerfield Beach High School.

Ratley fell to the ground, then Treacy punched and stomped on her, authorities said.

"This was nothing short of a savage beating,'' BSO spokesman Mike Jachles said.

A schoolteacher saw the attack and pulled Treacy off Ratley, Jachles said.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/18/1535690/deerfield-beach-teen-attacked.html

She led the attacker to the victim, police say.

More details of the attack:
Treacy allegedly punched her until she fell to the ground. Lamberti said the teen banged Ratley's head against the concrete seven or eight times, then kicked her with his boots.

"He was kicking her in the head soccer style at that point,'' Lamberti said.

A schoolteacher saw the attack and pulled Treacy off Ratley, investigators said.

The attack took place shortly before 3 p.m. at a bus stop on the east side of the school at 701 SE Sixth Ave.

After the attack, deputies took Treacy into custody.

It happened at the same middle school where Michael Brewer was a student. Last October, Brewer was surrounded by a group of schoolmates, doused in rubbing alcohol and set on fire.

I'm watching this on HLN right now. It's terrible. The violence going on really bothers me. My prayers are with the young girl.

You know it's savage and pathological when an adult has to literally pull the guy off the girl. That's exactly like the knife attack at the high school in Alaska. The guy, Nick Chamberlain, just wouldn't stop. That's a lot of horrid pent up rage and anger. I know some people are evil but what causes a 15 year old to have that level of rage?

And two savage cases at the same school? Is it a ripple effect, like suicide? I wouldn't think so as that's more of a set-in of depression and a removal of a taboo. However, maybe the taboo of vicious attacks has been removed at that school. We know that teens mimic risky behavior. It can almost be like leaks springing in a dam. You can't plug them all up. You get one fight stopped, and another breaks out. You find one run away, and three more run.

Original.jpg

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/br...erfield-middle-fight-20100318,0,1999406.story

The Broward Sheriff's Office said Ratley was in "extremely critical" condition at Broward General Medical Center after the Wednesday afternoon incident at a campus bus stop. Assistant State Attorney Maria Schneider simply shook her head and said "not doing well" when Williams asked about the victim's condition.

Treacy, dressed in a dark blue jail jumpsuit, said nothing during his short hearing. His mother, Donna Powers, and stepfather, Carey Smith, were present.

Public Defender Betsy Benson described Treacy as traumatized by the October 2009 suicide of his brother, Michael Bell, 30. Treacy found his body hanging from a tree on October 10, two days after Treacy's birthday.

Benson said Treacy, a Deerfield Beach High School student, was a "good son" who's never been arrested before.

Some interesting (and infuriating) comments showing up. Sounds like this is a magnet school for some very bright kids--AP classes. It doesn't sound like the perp attended the same school but had dated the victim. One commenter describes the attacker as a very angry young man. Another says they would have never expected it. It sounds as if the attacker has a brother who recently died.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/18/1534837/girl-in-critical-condition-after.html

"Treacy, dressed in a dark blue jail jumpsuit, said nothing during his short hearing. His mother, Donna Powers, and stepfather, Carey Smith, were present.

Public Defender Betsy Benson described Treacy as traumatized by the October 2009 suicide of his brother, Michael Bell, 30. Treacy found his body hanging from a tree on October 10, two days after Treacy's birthday."

They all have different last names! I understand the stepfather might, but the two brothers and their mother?

We posted at the same time, Joe. I'm still not clear, though. I'm seeing in two different comments that the perp was a HS student and the victim a middle school student. Maybe it's the same campus.

And there's the suicide I worried about. My Lord. This is absolutely awful but the young man found his brother hanging dead five months ago? He was a time bomb.

My prayers go out to first the victim but also to all those involved. That's a lot for families and the community to deal with.

http://cbs4.com/local/Deerfield.Middle.School.2.1571731.html

"Witnesses said just before 3 p.m. Ratley, a student at Deerfield Beach Middle School, was near a school bus stop on the east side of campus; Treacy ran up and started hitting her.

Police said Treacy was dating a 13-year-old girl who was using Ratley's cell phone to text him. According to police, Ratley texted Treacy something about his brother's suicide, which set him off. Police said Treacy then came to Deerfield Beach Middle and almost beat up the wrong girl before his girlfriend led him to Ratley.....

more at link

This article makes it sound as if the guy traveled from one school to another, almost beat up the wrong girl and then found and attacked his victim. He was on a mission to get her. As with all drama and violence with teens, it's going to take a lot of backtracking to figure out exactly the sequence of events. I wouldn't be surprised if something's been brewing for weeks on MS and FB.

Comments after the first article state that the victim and the attacker had been dating. This article paints a different picture:

http://dailyme.com/story/2010031800005088/teen-arrested-deerfield-beach-middle-school.html

"A 13-year-old girl, also a Deerfield Middle student, accused of being an accessory to assault after she allegedly told Wayne Treacy, 15, where he could find Josie Lou Ratley, 15, knowing that Treacy intended to harm Ratley, Lamberti said.

Treacy and Ratley barely knew each other, and Treacy would not have recognized her had he not been told who she was, Lamberti said...."

more at link

So, Treacy found his brother's body on October 10th (two days after Treacy's birthday). Michael Brewer was set on fire on October 12th. Something's going on. This community needs some serious intervention immediately. This will not stop.

FWIW, I saw some chatter about the brother being gay. Could this be a factor? I wonder if the comment made which set Treacy off (nothing excuses this) had something to do with a mean-spirited comment about the man's sexual orientation.

To my mind, a 13 year old girl (the one who led Treacy to the victim) happens to be one of the most dangerous creatures on earth. They're smart, they know all about mind games, and they are world-class triangulators but have no sense of the consequences of their actions.

Mother of five girls speaking here so JMO.

This is local for me. Just saw the Sheriff on here - Treacy did not go to school yesterday. He was in Deerfield Beach High School. Josie was in Deerfield Beach Middle School. Treacy "got his boots" and got on his bike and rode over to the middle school to find her.

Please send prayers for this poor girl! I hope she makes it - doesn't look good. He has been charged with attempted murder. The JAC center is literally 2 blocks from me. They are going to hold him there until the SA decides whether to charge him as an adult.

This boy has anger problems - obviously. The loss of his brother (and I've heard he was the one to find the body) happening right around his birthday.

Now you know why I pulled my DD out of the public schools down here! These kids are so very violent now.

My DH works structural steel and we are always buying him boots - big huge steel toed work boots. OMG - if he were to ever kick anyone with those on. And this kid kicked her in the head, neck and body many, many times.

Again, please send prayers for Josie!

Update:

Second teen arrested in Deerfield Beach Middle School assault
Deputies say 13-year-old girl knowingly pointed enraged Wayne Treacy to victim

By Sofia Santana, Rafael A. Olmeda and Alexia Campbell, Sun Sentinel

6:19 p.m. EDT, March 18, 2010

DEERFIELD BEACH
A second teenager has been charged in connection with the severe beating of a Deerfield Beach Middle School student, Broward Sheriff Al Lamberti said Thursday afternoon.

A 13-year-old girl, also a Deerfield Middle student, accused of being an accessory to assault after she allegedly told Wayne Treacy, 15, where he could find Josie Lou Ratley, 15, knowing that Treacy intended to harm Ratley, Lamberti said.

Treacy and Ratley barely knew each other, and Treacy would not have recognized her had he not been told who she was, Lamberti said.

more at link............

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/br...erfield-middle-fight-20100318,0,1999406.story

its tragic he found his brother like that, but i dont get how the hell that makes someone do what he did today.

the worst i ever do when i get angry is take it out on inanimate objects

kbl--Your brain chemistry most likely just fine. Some people's are most definitely NOT.

well call me insensitive but this guy is just gonna use it as an excuse........essentially a modified abuse excuse or a bizarre post traumatic stress claim......look, when i was 21 i found my gramps dead of a heart attack in his bed. it was no suprise it happened, cause he'd been in heart failure for at least a decade, but it was still shocking. i still managed to take care of the house, get ready for the funeral, help take care of my psychotic grandmother....and all the time i felt like i was losing it.
but i couldnt let my grief overtake me, and i surely would never take it out on someonelse.....i dont get it

wearing the steel tips also shows this was pre meditated to me

Oh I agree about the boots - no doubt - because they said he picked them up and was holding them while getting on his bike!

I saw him yesterday - when they took him out of the middle school (that is where they originally questioned him) and put him in a marked unit. He was handcuffed and bare foot (LE took those boots)

You're right about the PTSD coming in. He was VERY ANGRY! He pounded her head onto the curb 8 or 9 times according to the presser. Then he kicked and stomped on her I don't know how many.

Thing is - this wouldn't have happened had the 13 yr old girl not pointed her out. He didn't even know what she looked like!!!!!!!! The 13 yr old didn't have a cell and was using Josie's number to "communicate" with this kid. Josie had been texting him about leaving this girl alone.

What a shame.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back