816 users online (115 members and 701 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dr. Doogie's Prescription for a Better World

True inspiration comes to me rather rarely, but I had an epiphany moment that I would like to share with you. I was musing on the imminent release of 17,000 RSO's in California and came up with what may be a brilliant idea (IMHO). Budget woes in California at all jurisdictional levels are limiting the amount of resources that authorities can afford to spend on monitoring this oncoming plague.

What is the one resource that we all have that costs no money but is invaluble all the same? TIME! We here at WS spend a lot of time researching cases and try to move cases forward the best we can, but much of our time here is spent bemoaning the status quo or by fantasizing new and satisfying ways to torture pedos. What if we spent that time actually doing something to remedy the problem?

RSOs are at their most dangerous when they are in violation of their registration - they are "out of sight" from law enforcement and have already crossed a line that makes them much more likely to reoffend. Bringing them back into compliance will reduce the likelihood that they will hurt another child or adult.

California's Megan's List identifies those who are in violation with a red check mark nest to their name. El Dorado County, where I live, has about a dozen RSO's who have dropped off of the radar. And, again, it is unrealistic to think that LE will be able to locate these offenders when budget cuts are reducing the number of those who would normally be looking for the RSOs.

How about us? Why don't we spend some of our time researching each violator and report their current location to the proper authorities? Some of us have developed a talent for locating people who don't necessarily want to be found - why not use our superpowers to assist LE in finding these *******s?

In a few hours of work today, I located one person listed as in violation who had moved from California to Nevada and was in registration there, but evidently had not notified CA that he had moved. By locating him and informing the DOJ of this fact, it eliminated the possibility that CA would expend its limited resources on hunting him down. I also have found a current address for another RSO in violation, but I need to confirm that this is the most recent address before notifying the DOJ. And I have located another RSO's new town, but have not narrowed down a street address... yet.

If you care to join my quest, all you need to do is access the CA Megan's List and search by county. Pull up the list of RSOs and see who has a red check mark next to their name. Use any "skip tracing" skills that you have and locate these violators. If you find a current address, the webpage for each offendor has a button for providing tips to the DOJ - click it and enter the new address. Also, if the offendor is still in the same jurisdiction as where they were last in compliance, you may also want to notify them with the info.

And, please remember, YOU ARE NOT LE! Please ONLY provide info to LE - do not attempt to apprehend or harrass the RSO. This will only result in you getting arrested and will make LE reluctant to work with civilians.

If enough of us rise to this challenge, we can make a true difference in this world.
    Last edited by Dr. Doogie; 03-18-2010 at 11:29 PM.
    Order the book "Searching For Anna" directly from [URL="http://www.lulu.com/conte

Excellent idea Dr. Doogie! Not only for California, but for those of us in other states too!

You rock! Thanks for such a fantastic idea!
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

I rarely have a good idea, but I believe the beauty of this is its simplicity and practicality. Anybody can search the web to try to locate a missing RSO. And I suspect that we all can make a real difference instead of merely sitting and fretting about the status quo.
    Order the book "Searching For Anna" directly from [URL="http://www.lulu.com/conte

Lol Doogie, you're so humble.

You are absolutely right. very practical idea and I know LE appreciates the publics assistance with these things.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

I have a RSO that moved in quite close to me, in a very little condo community.
    Of course he rents from a woman that tried to sell her condo.
    We are prepared at any moment to do exactly what you said.
    We can not do a thing but watch him as close as possible.
    My neighbors is LE and if he breaks 1 rule, he is off to jail.
    How can a person pay high rent, own a fairly new truck and a Harley Davidson
    and not work?
    This guy is a total creep!!!
    Kyron, HALEIGH, ADJI & Gabriel NEEDS PRAYERS NOW TO FIND THEM!. Zahra & Jonathan in heaven
    Justice for Hailey!!!!
    No Justice for Caylee Marie..........

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doogie View Post
    True inspiration comes to me rather rarely, but I had an epiphany moment that I would like to share with you. I was musing on the imminent release of 17,000 RSO's in California and came up with what may be a brilliant idea (IMHO). Budget woes in California at all jurisdictional levels are limiting the amount of resources that authorities can afford to spend on monitoring this oncoming plague.

What is the one resource that we all have that costs no money but is invaluble all the same? TIME! We here at WS spend a lot of time researching cases and try to move cases forward the best we can, but much of our time here is spent bemoaning the status quo or by fantasizing new and satisfying ways to torture pedos. What if we spent that time actually doing something to remedy the problem?

RSOs are at their most dangerous when they are in violation of their registration - they are "out of sight" from law enforcement and have already crossed a line that makes them much more likely to reoffend. Bringing them back into compliance will reduce the likelihood that they will hurt another child or adult.

California's Megan's List identifies those who are in violation with a red check mark nest to their name. El Dorado County, where I live, has about a dozen RSO's who have dropped off of the radar. And, again, it is unrealistic to think that LE will be able to locate these offenders when budget cuts are reducing the number of those who would normally be looking for the RSOs.

How about us? Why don't we spend some of our time researching each violator and report their current location to the proper authorities? Some of us have developed a talent for locating people who don't necessarily want to be found - why not use our superpowers to assist LE in finding these *******s?

In a few hours of work today, I located one person listed as in violation who had moved from California to Nevada and was in registration there, but evidently had not notified CA that he had moved. By locating him and informing the DOJ of this fact, it eliminated the possibility that CA would expend its limited resources on hunting him down. I also have found a current address for another RSO in violation, but I need to confirm that this is the most recent address before notifying the DOJ. And I have located another RSO's new town, but have not narrowed down a street address... yet.

If you care to join my quest, all you need to do is access the CA Megan's List and search by county. Pull up the list of RSOs and see who has a red check mark next to their name. Use any "skip tracing" skills that you have and locate these violators. If you find a current address, the webpage for each offendor has a button for providing tips to the DOJ - click it and enter the new address. Also, if the offendor is still in the same jurisdiction as where they were last in compliance, you may also want to notify them with the info.

And, please remember, YOU ARE NOT LE! Please ONLY provide info to LE - do not attempt to apprehend or harrass the RSO. This will only result in you getting arrested and will make LE reluctant to work with civilians.

If enough of us rise to this challenge, we can make a true difference in this world.
    Dr. Doogie I think this is a great idea! Something I'd like to see is a central database where ALL (from every state) obsconded SO's are entered. When a SO is "missing", not only are they no longer at the LKA (last known address), in far too many cases they have left the state entirely, moved on to another state and are passing themselves off as somebody else, using an alias. The only way to possibly know if the "new" neighbor, boyfriend, friend's boyfriend..., is really an obsconded SO is by identifying them based upon their picture because you can't go by name or location - obviously. If someone checks somebody out and feels that the person they're concerned about matches the identity of a listed obsconded SO, they could call a number (provided) to the U.S Marshalls, who would then confirm (or not) the person's identity, whether they are in fact an obsconded SO, and apprehand them. I believe this is our only hope of locating and getting these slimeballs off the streets!

The following link has alot of information to help familiarize yourself with the laws/requirements that not only pertain to the SO's requirement to register, but the requirements & duty of each state in providing & updating access and information to the public on SO's.
    http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/smart/pdfs/checklist.pdf

Update

I wanted to update the progress for my project. Using "skip tracing" techniques, I have been able to assist LE in locating several RSOs and bring them back into compliance.

ESW is a woman who had been charged with 13 counts of felony child molestation and had plea bargained down to one misdemeanor count. She had in violation since 1994. I located her living in Montana under an alias. She has since been arrested.

GHW was a molestor who had been in violation since 1996. I discovered that he had been living in Idaho and died in 2000. His obituary says that he had been in Idaho for twelve years before his death - this means that he must have travelled to El Dorado County each year on his birthday between 1988 and 1995 to register, then returned to Idaho to live undetected. Evidently, something occured in 1996 to prevent his registration. This means that for twelve years, he was residing in Idaho without the local authorities being aware that he was in the area.

FB is a molestor who is not in violation of his registration, but I noticed that his address had his street address transposed. This meant that he appears on the Megan's List map in an incorrect location. I was able to notify both the CA DOJ and the local autorities of this mistake so that his info will be corrected in the database.

I am trying to work out the bugs in my system so that I can start to recruit others in different jurisdictions to replicate what I am doing. I believe that a network of dedicated volunteers can make a major impact towards keeping our children safe. I will let you know when I am seeking volunteers.

Update

KJS has been in violation of his registration since 1996. I located him incarcerated in Nevada for an additional child molestation charge.

El Dorado County, CA currently has 15 violators listed on the State's Megan's List. So far, I have been able to locate six violators plus two others that have been removed from the list because they now reside in a different state. That means eight violators have been brought back into compliance with the system or are incarcerated.

Update

PLS is a molestor in violation since 2003. I located him in a different state which has different rules concerning who is and is not listed on their public Megan's List. The local LE their is going to check him for compliance. This one is more than a little spooky because I also found that his wife is running a dance school for children!

MJS is a molestor in violation since 1996. (1996 shows up quite often as the date of violation because that is the year that California revamped their system and many who had been in violation prior to 1996 are listed with that year since that is when the new system took effect.) I am trying to contact the local LE who has responsibility for this guy because I have discovered that someone with the same name and birth date died in 1982! This means either this guy has been listed in the system for 28 years since his death, or it means that the perp stole this man's identity and is "free-and-clear" now that he has dumped that fake identity.

Out of the fifteen RSO's in violation in El Dorado County, three appear to be dead, three are in custody and two have been located and LE notified of their whereabouts. Only seven more to go...

Could this help solve a 1969 case?

I wanted to update the progress for my project. Using "skip tracing" techniques, I have been able to assist LE in locating several RSOs and bring them back into compliance. ...

I am trying to work out the bugs in my system so that I can start to recruit others in different jurisdictions to replicate what I am doing. I believe that a network of dedicated volunteers can make a major impact towards keeping our children safe. I will let you know when I am seeking volunteers.

This is an interesting thread and a good idea. I started thinking about a thread which was once in the Cold Case section of Websleuths, but has since been buried in the new Unidentified Area.

The case was about the murder of a woman in an Oakland, California hotel room back in 1969. Although she remains unidentified, her killer was known to be one Taylor Morris Teaford. He has never been caught or tried for the murder.

A few years back he was found to have been listed in another state's Sex Offender Registry, but was listed as being Not in Compliance since 1996.
    Perhaps someone can locate him or learn what became of him. Teaford would be 75 if he is still alive today.

See more information at the link to the earlier Websleuths thread on him below.

------------------------------------
    Taylor Morris Teaford may also go by the name of "Melvin Teaford".
    His date of birth is June 18, 1935,
    height 6'0"
    weight 185 lbs.
    black hair and brown eyes.

See the websleuths thread titled:

1969 California Murder: Victim Unknown, Killer known but still at large - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

LINK:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23953"]1969 California Murder: Victim Unknown, Killer known but still at large - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

I'll take a look for this guy.

The 1996 violation date does not mean that he disappeared in 1996, just that he is listed in the new computerized system since 1996. He probably disappeared years prior to that year.

I cannot find any information about this guy after the murder charge in Oakland. The North Dakota Megan's List appearance seems to me to be a duplicate of the California information.

One factor that makes this hunt more difficult is his Native American heritage. It is easier to disappear into a "soveriegn nation" such as tribal land than it is to do so in the U.S. proper. I am not sure if members of registered tribes are required to participate in the Social Security system, so he may have died without ever making it onto the SS Death Index.

This guy is certainly scum, but I seem to be at a loss to find him. Unfortunately, I am not alone since he was on the FBI's most wanted list for a couple of years and they could not find him either. (That actually brings up a point: Since the FBI was looking for him in connection with the murder of his grandmother, unless he fled over state lines, it would indicate that this crime occured under federal jurisdiction such as on tribal land where treaties allowed for the FBI to investigate.)

I cannot find any information about this guy after the murder charge in Oakland. The North Dakota Megan's List appearance seems to me to be a duplicate of the California information.

One factor that makes this hunt more difficult is his Native American heritage. It is easier to disappear into a "soveriegn nation" such as tribal land than it is to do so in the U.S. proper. I am not sure if members of registered tribes are required to participate in the Social Security system, so he may have died without ever making it onto the SS Death Index.

This guy is certainly scum, but I seem to be at a loss to find him. Unfortunately, I am not alone since he was on the FBI's most wanted list for a couple of years and they could not find him either. (That actually brings up a point: Since the FBI was looking for him in connection with the murder of his grandmother, unless he fled over state lines, it would indicate that this crime occured under federal jurisdiction such as on tribal land where treaties allowed for the FBI to investigate.)
    Thanks for checking on this guy. It does seem strange that he could have simply vanished, but maybe he paid the price like some of his buddies did.

Here is an updated link to the case. It includes an artist's sketch of the unidentified girl and a photo of Teaford:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/333ufca.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast