UK - Sam Linton, 11, dies of asthma in school corridor, Stockport, 4 Dec 2007

Blue_Dolphin308

We can't help everyone, But everyone can help some
Reaction score
This infuriates me! It was cruel and totally unneccessary. I do hope the parents sue the pants off of this teacher.

RIP, little guy.

:banghead: How absolutely SENSELESS!

Where I live children walk to the public school. ( About a mile and a half) There's a little girl in my neighbourhood whose a severe asthmatic. The way the school rules are written this child was not allowed to carry her inhaler to school! It MUST be kept at the nurses office. I met this little girl when I found her on my front step, banging on my front door & gasping for air. Apparently my son knew her and she came here for help. I called 911.

When I spoke to her mother at the ER. (I went with the child...it took a long time for them to find and reach mom at work) She said she knew something like this would happen....I suggested she make a big stink about it so her daughter could carry her inhaler. Either she didn't make a big enough stink or never bothered.. I am not sure...All I know for sure, that child still can not carry it.

She was in "after school mode" -- are you kidding me?!? So, when the bell rings at 3 p.m. that means you get to shoo kids out of your office and ignore their concerns?!

This makes me sick. One of my daughters has asthma and she and another of her sisters have severe food allergies. I had to fight to make it where she could carry an inhaler on her person and her sister could carry her epi-pen. The school still required that an inhaler and an epi-pen be kept locked in the nurse's desk.

I prevailed after I was called to the school one day because my daughter was having a severe asthma attack and no one could find the key to the nurse's desk or the nurse. I rushed over with an inhaler and allergy medicine and she was fine in a few minutes but the outcome could have been just like this case.

It seems that school personnel do not take these things seriously. Maybe training is needed.

IMO, this should be treated as a crime..........
manslaughter at the least,
She is a teacher for goodness sake, a woman, a mother?
And refused to get help!
Cell phone dah, call 911...........even 4 year olds do it!!!!
What a moran.......FIRE HER!

The schools now days have to open their eyes. Parents also need to take control. I have a health plan in place for my Type 1 diabetic daughter, which I can force into a Federal 504 plan that forces the schools to follow. She is allowed to have her BG meter, Glucogon syringe, insulin pen tips, insulin, and juice and snack bar on her at all times. Granted there is a Glucogon syringe, insulin, pen tips and meter in the nurses office, however I made sure that she could be able to test her BG on the fly and correct if needed immediately or eat needed carbs to cover a low. Every class that she is in has a juice and a snack bar for these emergencies if she is low.
The school has failed the health plan a couple of times and I have taken it to the administration every time. I told them the last time that they failed, I would turn her health plan into the 504 and lawsuits could follow if they do not comply.
What happened with this boy is inexcusable! This could have been entirely prevented if this teacher would have pulled her head out of her @ss. Poor boy, RIP.

My son has an unusual health problem.

The teachers and staff were arrogant morons, who to this day still have not processed what his actual needs were.

We home school, because a parent with a sick child has to be very, very aggressive to get their child's needs met at school. I am a meek person by nature, and the constant conflict with these batty broads was too much for me.

I feel for the mother of this dead boy. How was she to know that fighting the school's bureaucracy was imperative for the very survival of her child?

Who wants to fight their child's day to day custodians, knowing that the fight will make the parent and child unpopular with that very bureaucracy? It's a lose-lose proposition.

This story is just heartbreaking! I cannot believe that a teacher let a child DIE! Aren't teachers supposed to care about children? Isn't that why they become teachers? I think the parents should sue her for every dime she has and then they should sue the school. IMO this teacher shouldn't be allowed within 5 feet of another child. How hard is it to pick up a phone and dial 911? Sorry for the rant but it makes me so angry to hear that a child had to die because of an adult who just plain didn't give a .

I have a nephew that has severe asthma and he had a lot of problems at school because of it. He had to call home for an inhaler I don't know how many times because the school wouldn't allow him to take one to school. He had a hard time in gym class too. His P.E. teacher was a jerk who would give him a hard time and call him Mr. Asthmatic whenever he couldn't keep up. It wasn't like he was an out of shape kid but sometimes it would get to a point where his lungs just couldn't take anymore. Schools really need to implement better policies for students that need medication. Students with special medical needs should be allowed to carry their medication unless the parents want it held in the office and if they're worried about them giving it to other students they should put in place tough consequences for handing it out.

Most teachers are great really. I don't have a kid...yet! But I know that some teacher become cynical and suspicious of their students. They get stressed and start hating what they do and in it for a paycheck. No excuses at all here just an explanation how a teacher could become a cold hearted person.

I hope my kid doesn't have asthma! Why can't they carry an inhaler? I don't understand. Needles yes, but what can u do with an inhaler?

My son also has severe allergies and asthma and we were told the inhaler and epipen had to stay in the office and I raised *ell. If he was to have an attack or get stung outside on the playground, there is no way they could get all the way to the office and back fast enough. My son now carries his inhaler in his pocket. RIP little guy. I really hope this teacher is fired and sued for whatever the parents can get out of her!

I agree that there should be a crime here. This is just inexcusable. For an educator to turn her back on a child, any child, is enough to make my stomach turn.

:banghead: How absolutely SENSELESS!

Where I live children walk to the public school. ( About a mile and a half) There's a little girl in my neighbourhood whose a severe asthmatic. The way the school rules are written this child was not allowed to carry her inhaler to school! It MUST be kept at the nurses office. I met this little girl when I found her on my front step, banging on my front door & gasping for air. Apparently my son knew her and she came here for help. I called 911.

When I spoke to her mother at the ER. (I went with the child...it took a long time for them to find and reach mom at work) She said she knew something like this would happen....I suggested she make a big stink about it so her daughter could carry her inhaler. Either she didn't make a big enough stink or never bothered.. I am not sure...All I know for sure, that child still can not carry it.

Students here are not allowed to carry their inhalers, either, which makes no sense. The purpose of a rescue inhaler is to have it on hand immediately when you need it. Not have to walk to the nurse's office when you already can't breathe to get one.

After school mode? You are a teacher always, especially when you are in the building. And I don't care if you are a teacher or a janitor, if a kid is struggling for breath, you get the kid some help.

Students here are not allowed to carry their inhalers, either, which makes no sense. The purpose of a rescue inhaler is to have it on hand immediately when you need it. Not have to walk to the nurse's office when you already can't breathe to get one.

After school mode? You are a teacher always, especially when you are in the building. And I don't care if you are a teacher or a janitor, if a kid is struggling for breath, you get the kid some help.

O/T: Mr. E ~ There have been an awful lot of teacher/school stories lately that I've seen you posting on. I wanted to let you know that I'm very impressed with they way you formulate your responses. I imagine it must be difficult to hear so many stories that do your profession an injustice. However, it is good to know there are still good, caring teachers out there.

She definitely had a special duty of care imposed upon her by law.
This is easily involuntary manslaughter in our country...criminal negligence: acting without due caution and circumspection.

I predict she is not only criminally liable, but she will be sued for wrongful death in a civil trial and be held liable for his death in that respect too. The school will also be held vicariously liable and liable in their own right for either negligent hiring or negligence in their failure to have a policy to protect asthmatic children, and failure to properly train teachers.

Carelessness that leads to a death can become a serious crime.

I'm so sad for that little boy. I hope they prosecute her to the full extent of the law.

O/T: Mr. E ~ There have been an awful lot of teacher/school stories lately that I've seen you posting on. I wanted to let you know that I'm very impressed with they way you formulate your responses. I imagine it must be difficult to hear so many stories that do your profession an injustice. However, it is good to know there are still good, caring teachers out there.

Thank you. Yes, it's hard to read about people in your profession who make stupid choices, choices which bring the entire profession into a negative light.

I am not a perfect teacher, and sometimes I don't even think I'm a good teacher, but I do care about kids. It bothers me that people who so clearly don't care about kids get into this profession. Not that this is the case here. I'm of half a mind to believe that this teacher just made an error in judgment. You put kids out in the hall all the time. But to ignore his need for help...that's just unconsionable.

The people that make the rules about not carrying an inhaler to School don't have Asthma. If they did they would know that a person that can't breathe has a hard time walking to get an inhaler. There are 5 asthmatics in my house. Where I live a child can carry their inhaler with them if the Doctor signs a paper saying that they can. But the School makes such a big deal that my kids are scared to use their inhalers. I can't believe that the School didn't even discipline the teacher.

although my daughters condition is not life threatening I have been fighting with her teacher to allow her extra bathroom trips because she has something wrong with her urinary system and cannot hold the urine in, it just comes out so she wets her pants at school and gets picked on. This all happened suddenly by the way. The teacher told my daughter she didnt care about her bathroom problem. Boy was i angry. I called the school principal and let them have it. My childs Dr even called the school thats how ridiculous it is. I am so sad for this child and his parents. It seems like there are more and more irresponsible or uncaring teachers these days and it makes the good ones go unnoticed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back