1080 users online (216 members and 864 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,557

    OR - Boy Scouts accused of hiding pedophiles

    http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index...nd_with_b.html


    Trial opens in Portland, with Boy Scouts accused of hiding pedophiles


    "A civil trial that opened Wednesday in Portland will show that the Boy Scouts of America knew it had child molesters in its leadership for decades but kept the problem quiet, according to an attorney for one of the victims.

    The case, expected to attract national attention, centers on a Portland man who confessed to Scout leaders that he had molested 17 Scouts but was allowed to continue joining boys in Scouting activities.

    On a broader scale, the case is one of the first to bring into open court hundreds of confidential files that the 100-year-old organization kept on Scout leaders and others suspected of sexually abusing boys. Though the Scouts, based in Texas, have been sued dozens of times over allegations of sexual abuse, most cases have been settled out of court, keeping files from becoming public.

    Patrick Boyle, the Washington, D.C.-based author of "Scout's Honor: Sexual Abuse in America's Most Trusted Institution," said Wednesday that this case may be only the second time such files have been used in a trial.

    "It's very embarrassing to them," Boyle said.

    The case that opened Wednesday in Multnomah County Circuit Court was brought by Kelly Clark, a Portland attorney who specializes in child sex abuse cases, and involves a former assistant Scoutmaster named Timur Dykes. The lawsuit, brought by a victim of Dykes listed in court documents by the pseudonym Jack Doe, seeks at least $14 million from the Boy Scouts of America and the Cascade Pacific Council in Oregon......"

    more at link


    FWIW Kelly Clark is an amazing attorney. We've worked with him and he's ruthless on sex abuse.
    Last edited by Salem; 10-30-2011 at 12:09 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Silicon Hills
    Posts
    9,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Missizzy View Post
    http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index...nd_with_b.html


    Trial opens in Portland, with Boy Scouts accused of hiding pedophiles


    "A civil trial that opened Wednesday in Portland will show that the Boy Scouts of America knew it had child molesters in its leadership for decades but kept the problem quiet, according to an attorney for one of the victims.

    The case, expected to attract national attention, centers on a Portland man who confessed to Scout leaders that he had molested 17 Scouts but was allowed to continue joining boys in Scouting activities.

    On a broader scale, the case is one of the first to bring into open court hundreds of confidential files that the 100-year-old organization kept on Scout leaders and others suspected of sexually abusing boys. Though the Scouts, based in Texas, have been sued dozens of times over allegations of sexual abuse, most cases have been settled out of court, keeping files from becoming public.

    Patrick Boyle, the Washington, D.C.-based author of "Scout's Honor: Sexual Abuse in America's Most Trusted Institution," said Wednesday that this case may be only the second time such files have been used in a trial.

    "It's very embarrassing to them," Boyle said.

    The case that opened Wednesday in Multnomah County Circuit Court was brought by Kelly Clark, a Portland attorney who specializes in child sex abuse cases, and involves a former assistant Scoutmaster named Timur Dykes. The lawsuit, brought by a victim of Dykes listed in court documents by the pseudonym Jack Doe, seeks at least $14 million from the Boy Scouts of America and the Cascade Pacific Council in Oregon......"

    more at link


    FWIW Kelly Clark is an amazing attorney. We've worked with him and he's ruthless on sex abuse.
    I've been keeping an eye on this one too, Mz Iz.

    This was what really floored me

    the organization kept confidential files on them in an effort to protect children.

    Oh yeah RIGHT! Keeping info hidden in files is *protecting* children....that's just absurd.

    I wonder if the BSA had files on this perverted *******:

    http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world...nd-339973.html
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~



    Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Native Oregonian now in Chicago
    Posts
    1,675
    I was just coming over to post this! I can't believe this c*ap. Another Catholic Church scandal in the making. Come on people, where there are all boys, there are PEDOPHILES lurking (and all girls too, but you know what I mean).

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,557
    Kelly Clark's making quite a name for himself in some quarters. He's a dynamic and interesting man. If anyone can make this stick, he can.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    massachusetts
    Posts
    6,340
    he confessed to other leaders that he molested 17 boys and they did nothing?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,557
    I have a strong feeling that this trial is going to really put a new "face" on the adult survivor of child sexual abuse. I admire these men's courage so much. It's so hard and they have so many cultural hurdles to crawl over. They've got my prayers.

    http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...g_sexuall.html

    Witness tells Portland jury he was sexually abused by Boy Scout leader during a sleepover


    "He was angry with his father and resented that his mother remarried. But the then-11-year-old boy had found a father-figure in his Boy Scout troop leader, Timur Dykes.

    Now 39, the man recounted in court on Monday how Dykes taught him about knots and rock-climbing. The assistant scoutmaster frequently had boys over to work on their merit badges and share a pizza. He told Dykes he wished that he were his dad.

    But then came a sleepover in 1982, when he woke up feeling Dykes' hand on his genitals. Scared and uncomfortable, he rolled over, but Dykes' touching and abuse continued, the witness recalled. He rolled onto his back, then onto his front, over and over, trying to discourage Dykes from touching him.

    How long did it go on, attorney Kelly Clark asked?

    "Too long," said the man."



    more at link

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,557
    Absolutely outrageous. From the link above:

    "The Multnomah County Circuit Court case opened last week and has drawn national attention in part for evidence including thousands of pages of confidential files kept for decades by the Boy Scouts about scout leaders and volunteers suspected of sexually assaulting boys. The files include accounts of Scout leaders' abuse as well as newspaper clippings about Scout volunteers being arrested on charges of having sex with young boys."

    and

    The volunteer had been showing the boys pornographic books and sleeping in the nude. Ernst wrote that he didn't know if the volunteer's actions were "a serious enough offense to refuse registration anywhere."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    massachusetts
    Posts
    6,340
    Quote Originally Posted by Missizzy View Post
    Absolutely outrageous. From the link above:

    "The Multnomah County Circuit Court case opened last week and has drawn national attention in part for evidence including thousands of pages of confidential files kept for decades by the Boy Scouts about scout leaders and volunteers suspected of sexually assaulting boys. The files include accounts of Scout leaders' abuse as well as newspaper clippings about Scout volunteers being arrested on charges of having sex with young boys."

    and

    The volunteer had been showing the boys pornographic books and sleeping in the nude. Ernst wrote that he didn't know if the volunteer's actions were "a serious enough offense to refuse registration anywhere."

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Not Alabama but Sweet Home just the same , SC
    Posts
    126
    Ernst needs to be brought up on criminal charges! This makes me so sick. Think of the many boys who could have been spared abuse if the BSA org had just gotten their heads out of their a**es and tried to protect the boys in their care instead of themselves and the pedophiles they put in charge. I am so glad I never let my boy join BSA because I would have had to have been the den leader and at 100% of all functions and with a daughter also I just did not have time. Thank God for that!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,557
    http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...land_jury.html

    Specialist tells Portland jury Boy Scouts knew more than any other organization about sex offenders within their ranks

    "A specialist on sex abuse told a Portland jury Wednesday that the Boy Scouts of America knew more than any other organization about offenders within their own ranks but failed to inform parents -- or go to law enforcement -- to prevent more boys from being abused.

    "They realized they had a problem, and they created a system to deal with it," said Gary Schoener, a certified psychologist in Minnesota who has advised churches and other nonprofits nationwide about the abuse of authority. "You don't create a system if you don't have a problem."

    The Boy Scouts of America and Oregon's Cascade Pacific Council defend themselves against a $14 million lawsuit by a man molested by volunteer Timur Dykes.That system involved detailed "perversion" files on Scouting leaders who were kicked out of the Boy Scouts for committing abuse. The aim was to keep offenders out of Scouting, but the files were kept confidential and in some cases were destroyed....."

    much more at link


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    massachusetts
    Posts
    6,340
    the system they created 'duck and cover'

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,557
    Oh Good Grief...now it's the parents' fault? Is this a playbook or what? Just like in the case against Rev. Murphy and the 200 deaf boys he molested....it's the boys' and the parents' fault.

    Doesn't everyone understand that children should just NOT be so darn winsome and enticing nor should parents trust their child's teacher, coach, priest, pastor, doctor, or Boy Scout leader. It's surely not the abusers fault. Couldn't be....grrrrrrrrr. I hope Kelly Clark has him for lunch!!

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100402/...Njb3V0aW5nZQ--

    Ore. scouting exec says parents negligent in abuse

    "The president of the Boy Scouts council for the Portland metro area has testified he believes the parents of some Scouts were negligent and even criminal for allowing sleepovers that led to sex abuse.

    Eugene Grant told a jury in a $29 million sex abuse lawsuit against the Boy Scouts of America and its Cascade Pacific Council that parents should not have allowed boys to stay overnight with a single man at his apartment.

    The man, Timur Dykes, has admitted molesting the victim who filed the lawsuit and has been convicted of other sex abuse dating back to the early 1980s, when Dykes was an assistant Scoutmaster.

    During cross-examination by Kelly Clark, an attorney for the victim, Grant said Thursday it was not Boy Scouts policy to allow sleepovers, especially when they were unsupervised.

    "His parents should have known better," Grant said, referring to the parents of the victim. "I think it was criminal...."

    more at link....

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,189
    There must be lots of money is scouting if they allow such perverts to join and volunteer. It's definitely all about them and not about the children. I'd say that maybe it's time to shut down the whole thing since these perverts will find a way to gain trust and get around rules, such as not requiring a parent to stay at meetings or attend campouts alone.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,557
    In our town, the Scouts cannot meet at the schools or many churches due to their exclusion of gay youth. I recognize and respect that many men have had fabulous experiences with the Scouts but there's got to be more transparency.

    And to blame the parents??!! That's like blaming a parent for allowing their child to go somewhere with their teacher or their pastor. And the fact that Mr. Grant says that "parents should not have allowed boys to stay overnight with a single man at his apartment" is a slap in the face for every single man who would never ever harm a child. Aren't millions of fathers single? Are we going to decide that no child should ever spend the night alone with them? But wait....women can be pedophiles too. Does that mean that no child should be left alone with them either.

    I'll telling you, children are going to have to be raised in plastic bubbles and constantly observed on close circuit surveillance by a hand-picked, background-checked team.

    I'm not happy.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Silicon Hills
    Posts
    9,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Missizzy View Post
    Oh Good Grief...now it's the parents' fault? Is this a playbook or what? Just like in the case against Rev. Murphy and the 200 deaf boys he molested....it's the boys' and the parents' fault.

    Doesn't everyone understand that children should just NOT be so darn winsome and enticing nor should parents trust their child's teacher, coach, priest, pastor, doctor, or Boy Scout leader. It's surely not the abusers fault. Couldn't be....grrrrrrrrr. I hope Kelly Clark has him for lunch!!

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100402/...Njb3V0aW5nZQ--

    Ore. scouting exec says parents negligent in abuse

    "The president of the Boy Scouts council for the Portland metro area has testified he believes the parents of some Scouts were negligent and even criminal for allowing sleepovers that led to sex abuse.

    Eugene Grant told a jury in a $29 million sex abuse lawsuit against the Boy Scouts of America and its Cascade Pacific Council that parents should not have allowed boys to stay overnight with a single man at his apartment.

    The man, Timur Dykes, has admitted molesting the victim who filed the lawsuit and has been convicted of other sex abuse dating back to the early 1980s, when Dykes was an assistant Scoutmaster.

    During cross-examination by Kelly Clark, an attorney for the victim, Grant said Thursday it was not Boy Scouts policy to allow sleepovers, especially when they were unsupervised.

    "His parents should have known better," Grant said, referring to the parents of the victim. "I think it was criminal...."

    more at link....
    I hope the jury gets as peeved as I am that the parents were blamed
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~



    Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. CA - 200 priests accused of sex abuse "hiding in plain sight"
    By Missizzy in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-13-2013, 01:21 AM
  2. Pedophiles?
    By Salem in forum Madeleine McCann
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-05-2009, 12:07 PM