WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
" In August 2007, the agency found that Smiley was negligent in caring for her son after she left him unsupervised while she was passed out from alcohol intoxication. The boy was placed under the care of relatives while Smiley received substance abuse treatment, then returned the next year to his mother's care."

Does anyone know which relatives?

ps - my dog died a few days ago so i've kind of thrown myself into this. thanks for being such good company :)

It's reallly tough to lose a beautiful, loving dog - hope you begin to feel better soon. Thanks for being here with all your very logical observations.

glitering_sign.gif
billyjoesgirl

0315shantina_search1.jpg

0316shantina_van_firstpic.jpg

I don't feel this was a planned act to harm her child. meaning (murder/suicide) The tire tracks show she tried to get the vehicle unstuck. I wonder if the rear hatch is open because in the confusion and panic she forgot which way the van was facing . Just such a tragic end.

0315shantina_search1.jpg

0316shantina_van_firstpic.jpg

I don't feel this was a planned act to harm her child. meaning (murder/suicide) The tire tracks show she tried to get the vehicle unstuck. I wonder if the rear hatch is open because in the confusion and panic she forgot which way the van was facing . Just such a tragic end.

Do you/does anyone have any thoughts on why she would drive in circles? It looks like she drove around in a few circles after she went nose first into the water..

Reposting:

In August 2007, the agency found that Smiley was negligent in caring for her son after she left him unsupervised while she was passed out from alcohol intoxication. The boy was placed under the care of relatives while Smiley received substance abuse treatment, then returned the next year to his mother's care."

It truly broke my heart to learn the boy's body had washed ashore. There were also other things indicative of them having been there, namely that bottle of wine she's been documented to have purchased. It was re-corked and half-empty (that's what they're reporting, I mean.)
Kind of seems like she was planning to take her own life somehow, and like some parents who I absolutely cannot understand, thought it would be better for the child to end his life, as well.
I think she bought the bottle of wine to kind of ease her nerves and make it a bit easier for her to go through with. Kind of wondering if maybe they went out in a boat and she somehow knocked him unconscious then pushed him into the water. Relatively easy, that, but I'm curious as to how exactly she died. Perhaps she had weights on her and simply slid into the water, which is why so many other things have made it to shore yet her body still has not.
Unlike a lot of people, I don't speak badly of people with suicidal tendencies, and I don't consider someone who's taken his life to be a coward. Not even close. It happened in my immediate family, and it's nothing like people seem to think it is. When I lost someone to suicide, I was attending his funeral service when some woman I'd never even seen was whispering (loudly) to someone else: "Well, at least he WANTED to go! I don't see that's anything to grieve about, unless you worry about where he's going AFTER he does it! Thou shalt not kill, and all that!"
It's madness and it's unfair.
What it does to the family... the "what if's" and the "this is SO my fault" feelings of guilt, and that's on top of the grief of having lost someone so close to you without warning. My family will never have any resemblance to what it was before.
The thing that IS wrong, to me, is when a parent kills their own children for reasons like: "I didn't want him to have to go through life without a father (or mother)... it's always something like they were doing it in the better interests of the child. I think that's the coldest, most narcissistic thing going.
The evidence for this case seems to be (literally) washing ashore at a steady rate, and I feel confident we'll eventually know what truly happened.

Perhaps she was trying to make a u-turn but the sand was too wet.So kept going the only way she could get traction. I wonder how fast she was going down the dirt road to the beach, and if she lost control somewhat.

Bringing this over from Thread 2 which should be locked soon.

It truly broke my heart to learn the boy's body had washed ashore. There were also other things indicative of them having been there, namely that bottle of wine she's been documented to have purchased. It was re-corked and half-empty (that's what they're reporting, I mean.)
Kind of seems like she was planning to take her own life somehow, and like some parents who I absolutely cannot understand, thought it would be better for the child to end his life, as well.
I think she bought the bottle of wine to kind of ease her nerves and make it a bit easier for her to go through with. Kind of wondering if maybe they went out in a boat and she somehow knocked him unconscious then pushed him into the water. Relatively easy, that, but I'm curious as to how exactly she died. Perhaps she had weights on her and simply slid into the water, which is why so many other things have made it to shore yet her body still has not.
Unlike a lot of people, I don't speak badly of people with suicidal tendencies, and I don't consider someone who's taken his life to be a coward. Not even close. It happened in my immediate family, and it's nothing like people seem to think it is. When I lost someone to suicide, I was attending his funeral service when some woman I'd never even seen was whispering (loudly) to someone else: "Well, at least he WANTED to go! I don't see that's anything to grieve about, unless you worry about where he's going AFTER he does it! Thou shalt not kill, and all that!"
It's madness and it's unfair.
What it does to the family... the "what if's" and the "this is SO my fault" feelings of guilt, and that's on top of the grief of having lost someone so close to you without warning. My family will never have any resemblance to what it was before.
The thing that IS wrong, to me, is when a parent kills their own children for reasons like: "I didn't want him to have to go through life without a father (or mother)... it's always something like they were doing it in the better interests of the child. I think that's the coldest, most narcissistic thing going.
The evidence for this case seems to be (literally) washing ashore at a steady rate, and I feel confident we'll eventually know what truly happened.

glitering_sign.gif
TaupinJohn

Great 1st post and thanks for sharing what must have been painful to write.

Off Zangle Road NE in North Olympia is a narrow gravel road leading to the beach where the van Shantina Smiley had been driving was found. The entrance to that gravel road is marked by a red arrow. (Photo courtesy of reader Robert Dashiell)

[I]This is near the end of the beach access road where the van Shantina Smiley was driving was found. At the end of this graveled road is a very sharp drop-off to the right. The red dot marks the approximate location of the vehicle, which was removed by investigators Sunday. The waterway to the left leads to Boston Harbor. (Photo courtesy of Robert Dashiell)
[/i]
[

http://www.kitsapsun.com/photos/galleries/2010/mar/16/shantina-smiley-disappearance/8911/

Help was right at the top of that hill. I just wonder why she didn't persistently try to get someone's attention.

Reposting:

In August 2007, the agency found that Smiley was negligent in caring for her son after she left him unsupervised while she was passed out from alcohol intoxication. The boy was placed under the care of relatives while Smiley received substance abuse treatment, then returned the next year to his mother's care."

They said on the news that it was an Aunt.

She meant to hurt him....she was hurting him....her plopping that big bottle of wine on the counter is in your face hurting him.

Do you/does anyone have any thoughts on why she would drive in circles? It looks like she drove around in a few circles after she went nose first into the water..

I just stared at the picture showing the driving circles and thought "why would I ever do that."
Well, it hit me........My kids think it is so funny when I drive around our property and then start driving in circles. It makes them laugh. If there is water or mud, it's even funnier to them.
Then I thought IF Shantina was drinking alcohol and she did that - to entertain or maybe calm Azriel - her judgment would be off. Maybe it made him laugh harder when she hit the water and it sprayed all over the car and windshield. So she keeps doing it and gets stuck. She tries to get the vehicle out but is really stuck. Then she panics because the water is up and she can't get the van out. She opens every door in a panic to make sure they get out and/or get their overnight bags, inhaler, etc. One or both get pulled under the water and it's all bad from there. Maybe?

It doesn't look like tracks that belong to the van. Many people who live in these waterfront communities own Quads or Golfcarts. I would guess that road is used as an access to the water. Here in PNW if the road wasn't used it would have been over grown with blackberry bushes or shrubs.

It was pitch dark outside. She could probably hardly see where she was. I keep going back to they woke up with water rising and couldn't get the door open. She probably pressed all the buttons for the door locks. Its possible the hatch opened by itself after the water receded if she had released the lock. By equalizing the pressure she could finally get the drivers door open.
Did I read that Azriel weighed 100 lbs? If she tried to carry him up that incline in 3 or 4 foot of water she may have just lost her balance and they were gone.
I believe this was a scene of horror and panic.
And I don't think she was still tipsy when it happened, just scared and in a panic.IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk