Susan's father visits alleged campsite

inquisitiveone

Reaction score
Susan's father, Chuck Cox visits alleged campsite which reinforces his doubt about Josh's camping story: "Cox always had his doubts about his son-in-law's claims, but he had to see for himself." http://www.komonews.com/news/local/88714232.html
100319_tooele_county.jpg

Hey fellow websleuths, I have been following Susan's story since the beginning and found your forum about a month ago... thanks for all of your input and insight :newbie:

Another story about the visit with a little more detail. From ABC-4:

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/to...ather-journeys-to/zxmSjMgi20ulIg0NMT-gGw.cspx

Chuck Cox spent a half hour walking by himself among the fire pits and sagebrush. To finally see the place was something of a revelation -- not that he every really believed Josh's account of that night, but driving the roads and seeing it with his own eyes put the problems with the story into sharp relief.

He now firmly believes that whatever happened that night did not happen at Simpson Springs. "It confirms it," he said. "The only hard thing is thinking she could be out there somewhere ... in another place like this."

Chuck Cox feels Simpson Springs does not hold the answer to his daughter's fate.

Now after reading that article I would not be surprised to hear the search in April is going to be called off.

I just can't figure out why the police searched thousands of hours there.

I wonder if that boyscout troop was searching for her?

I know that Tooele County Sheriffs weren't happy about searching out there because they said there is no proof she was out there. I think WVCPD searched out of caution and to mark that area off their list.

Mr. Cox has been in Utah for a week? I wonder if he flew down then rented a vehicle or drove? And, is he staying in a motel or with someone? Does anyone know?

Chuck Cox spent a half hour walking by himself among the fire pits and sagebrush. To finally see the place was something of a revelation -- not that he every really believed Josh's account of that night, but driving the roads and seeing it with his own eyes put the problems with the story into sharp relief.

He now firmly believes that whatever happened that night did not happen at Simpson Springs. "It confirms it," he said. "The only hard thing is thinking she could be out there somewhere ... in another place like this."

Chuck Cox feels Simpson Springs does not hold the answer to his daughter's fate.

Now after reading that article I would not be surprised to hear the search in April is going to be called off.

I just can't figure out why the police searched thousands of hours there.

I wonder if that boyscout troop was searching for her?

If I was a kid, I sure wouldn't want to go camping in an area where I might stumble upon a dead body. I don't think I would allow my child to go on a camping expedition that included searching for a rotting corpse!

It was the Tooele County Sheriff's Department along with mine company employees who were searching. Linda Osborn, the woman who reported the odd concrete strip, encountered the party at least one time when she went out to search and was told she was not allowed into the search area.

Other people have also reported "running into" the search groups.

Clearly, for that many hours to be put into a search, law enforcement has to have more information than simply Josh's word that he went out there.

And, who is to say Josh didn't drive out there then change his mind and go somewhere else?

They may be focusing on that area due to pings from his cell phone.

Quite frankly, he could have "stashed" Susan somewhere then met up with his father to move her elsewhere, thus the rental car trip.

However, I am inclined to think that he met with his father to discuss "what to do" in a place where they were sure they could not be listened to or observed together.

It is obvious Josh and his father are very close. It is clear his father can be trusted as he has NOT said one word about this matter to the press that would lead anyone to believe he would share information which would help find Susan's body.

Therefore, it is reasonable to assume that Josh had an overpowering desire to see and talk with his father to ask for advice. I believe with every fiber of my being that Josh Powell met up with his father during the time he had the rental car.

Therefore, it is reasonable to assume that Josh had an overpowering desire to see and talk with his father to ask for advice. I believe with every fiber of my being that Josh Powell met up with his father during the time he had the rental car.
Would love to build the database and time line for the communications between those two, and also with his buddies who so readily defend him. I don't believe for a second that anything we say on the phone can't be pulled out of a database somewhere, thanks to a strong homeland security.

I would also think detectives have looked thoroughly at the whereabouts of SP during the critical time frame.

I'm hopeful that Chuck Cox's visit with WVCPD at least leads to some kind of a plan to put more pressure on POI.

Would love to build the database and time line for the communications between those two, and also with his buddies who so readily defend him. I don't believe for a second that anything we say on the phone can't be pulled out of a database somewhere, thanks to a strong homeland security.

I would also think detectives have looked thoroughly at the whereabouts of SP during the critical time frame.

I'm hopeful that Chuck Cox's visit with WVCPD at least leads to some kind of a plan to put more pressure on POI.

Even if Josh and Steve Powell met, there's nothing illegal about that; as we all know. I just can't believe they weren't watching him close enough to know that he went to a car rental! What did they expect him to do when they took his only form of transportation away, especially since Josh had absolutely no idea how long they'd have it?

And, they clearly weren't keeping track of his bank account transactions, unless he paid cash! It is clear they weren't even tracking his credit or debit card purchases at that time!

Have they indicated how he paid for the rental car? Did he use someone else's card?

They REALLY SCREWED up, in my opinion.

A

Even if Josh and Steve Powell met, there's nothing illegal about that; as we all know. I just can't believe they weren't watching him close enough to know that he went to a car rental! What did they expect him to do when they took his only form of transportation away, especially since Josh had absolutely no idea how long they'd have it?

And, they clearly weren't keeping track of his bank account transactions, unless he paid cash! It is clear they weren't even tracking his credit or debit card purchases at that time!

Have they indicated how he paid for the rental car? Did he use someone else's card?

A

If they didn't follow him, or put a gps on that rental , then yes they screwed up.

A

I think the police made sure there was GPS on that rental car even if they had to put it on it.

They knew from the minute they questioned him he was lying.

There would be no reason to say there was not GPS on the rental car other then to throw Josh off and get him to lie about where he went. They have not released any info on the case why would they release info that made them look like fools?

Hey fellow websleuths, I have been following Susan's story since the beginning and found your forum about a month ago... thanks for all of your input and insight :newbie:

:Welcome-12-june:
to
Websleuths
inquisitiveone

Original.jpg

Chuck Cox said he had to see the place for himself.
As he drove off the pavement and onto the dirt road for the last 20-30 miles to the campground, he noted there were no lights or markings. It would have been a difficult drive at night -- especially with blowing snow. Cox observed, "My daughter never would have let him out of the house with the kids that night to go camping and I certainly don't believe he would head out in a snow storm."

At Five Mile Pass, he looked out on the winding road and reiterated, "If you're talking two feet (of snow) forget it. No guardrails." It would be a treacherous pass for a vehicle with high clearance and four wheel drive. Josh Powell was driving the family's front wheel drive minivan.

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/to...ather-journeys-to/zxmSjMgi20ulIg0NMT-gGw.cspx

At Five Mile Pass, he looked out on the winding road and reiterated, "If you're talking two feet (of snow) forget it. No guardrails." It would be a treacherous pass for a vehicle with high clearance and four wheel drive. Josh Powell was driving the family's front wheel drive minivan.

Reminds me of getting caught in a Spring blizzard here. Two feet of snow in May (of course) in a front wheel drive "caar." It was great for bad weather, but had to be abandoned with a rescue by Jeep in that deep snow. No way!

Reminds me of getting caught in a Spring blizzard here. Two feet of snow in May (of course) in a front wheel drive "caar." It was great for bad weather, but had to be abandoned with a rescue by Jeep in that deep snow. No way!

I don't believe Josh went there. I think closer to his home, given the road conditions at the time.

I don't think the father and Mike drove down just to see the "campsite". I think they met with LE for something...what?---- your guess is as good as mine.

I think the police made sure there was GPS on that rental car even if they had to put it on it.

They knew from the minute they questioned him he was lying.

There would be no reason to say there was not GPS on the rental car other then to throw Josh off and get him to lie about where he went. They have not released any info on the case why would they release info that made them look like fools?

How do you think they did this, when they didn't know he even hired the car until after he returned it?

I have rented many cars in the US in the last five years, and not one had GPS fitted as standard. It was always an add-on option that I never took.

Higher spec cars do now sometimes have GPS built into the vehicle, but I doubt Josh would want to pay for a high spec car, and the rental agency would know what car he had and if it had GPS as standard.

Not tracking Josh's movements in the week following Susan's disappearance was the first major balldrop by WVC police. It should be standard procedure to track the main POI (usually husband or boyfriend) until they have been eliminated from the enquiry.

Isn't Lo-Jack a gps system? I can't imagine a rental car anywhere not having something to help law enforcement get it back if it got stolen. NOT that I understand how it works, but we have it and it's designed never to be found once it's installed in a vehicle.

Brent Hunsaker - My ride to the west desert with Susan Powell’s father

Contributor.jpg

SIMPSON SPRINGS, Tooele County (ABC 4 News) - In the last three months, Chuck Cox has had to learn a new skill. Besides being a husband and father, a career FAA man and devout Mormon, he’s now also a tightrope walker.

Chuck has learned the balancing act.

He walks a thin line between keeping up the pressure on Josh Powell to cooperate with police while not becoming his prosecutor and judge.

He’s also keeping up the pressure on police investigators while not becoming a drain on their resources.

And for the thousands of people in Utah, Washington and around the world who have rallied in this time of great need, he’s had to balance expressions of gratitude and encouragement with caution that they not do anything that puts them in peril.

CONTINUED AT SOURCE: http://www.abc4.com/content/about_4...-west-desert-with/fkTWAxuCK0eg60RkyrnE6g.cspx

Isn't Lo-Jack a gps system? I can't imagine a rental car anywhere not having something to help law enforcement get it back if it got stolen. NOT that I understand how it works, but we have it and it's designed never to be found once it's installed in a vehicle.

He must have rented the car from a privately owned used car lot!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back