NE NE - Vanderlei, Jaqueline, Chris (fnd dec'd) Szczepanik, 7, Omaha, 14 Dec 2009

summer_breeze

Reaction score
http://www.ketv.com/news/22388944/detail.html

Police Stumped As Family Vanishes
No Sign Of Foul Play In Disappearance Of Couple, Child
POSTED: 2:43 pm CST January 30, 2010
UPDATED: 6:31 am CST January 31, 2010

OMAHA, Neb. -- Police said they're trying to find the reason why a family of three living and working in Omaha appears to have vanished without a trace and without any sign of foul play.

Vanderlei, Jaqueline and Chris Szczepanik were doing renovations at the Christian Community Center.

"In early January, officers were approached about this family," said Omaha police Officer Michael Pecha. "The reporting party indicated they'd been missing since the middle of December."

The missing person's report listed the center as their last known address.

"We've been contacting family members, members of the church group and following up some leads," Pecha said.

The leads have yet to offer any clues why the three suddenly left. The rest of their family lives in Brazil, but police said those family members haven't heard from them, either.

"There's been no evidence of foul play," Pecha said. "It just looks like they up and left."

Police and the rest of the Szczepanik family must wait until someone with more information comes forward so they can wrap up an unusual missing persons case.

"Anytime you have a whole family like that seemingly disappear, it's unusual and adds to the difficult of locating them," Pecha said.

Fresh fruit left out on the table had rotted, a sign that something was not right.
Mom never shut down her computer. Dad left at least four checks uncashed, and their son's beloved violin remained in the family residence along with his favorite toys, the couple's Bibles and most of their belongings.
. . .

“He is very responsible,” said Humberto Solano-Costa, a leader of the Florida church that sent Szczepanik, a skilled carpenter, to Omaha. “This is why we are so alarmed and worried. It is very, very strange.”
. . .
Saturday night, they found Vanderlei's gray Nissan pickup, which had been missing from the house, parked on the street near 15th and Vinton Streets. Jaqueline's blue Volvo and a white work van they'd just purchased remain parked near their south Omaha home.
much more at link http://www.omaha.com/article/20100131/NEWS01/701319914/0/FRONTPAGE

What a mystery! I sure hope they're found safe soon.

This is so bizarre, much like the Jamison case in that it is a family of 3.

It's so strange, both the cases having the vehicle left elsewhere, their possessions left as if they were coming back..

From the news article, it seems he worked late that day, she had errands,
and everything looks as if it was just abandoned.

How would they disappear with all 3 vehicles found? Why would they disappear?

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100131/NEWS01/701319914/0/FRONTPAGE

Carlos Oliviera, who worked under Szczepanik and also lived in the high school building, said he last saw his boss Dec. 17. The crew, including an American man they were training, had toiled way past dark at the Park Avenue property that day, as they had the previous day.

The next day, workers waited and waited for Szczepanik to show up on the job site. “He never came,” Oliviera said

Apparently the building project was not completed, as the crew was expecting to work the next day. Oliviera and the Szczepaniks lived in the same building and the crew had no contact with Szczepanik since Dec 17, so why did it take a family friend from Atlanta to finally notify Omaha police in January??

In the above pics, I find it odd that Jacqueline's glasses were on the rumpled bed. Not a normal place for a person to leave their eyeglasses.

The crew, including an American man they were training, had toiled way past dark at the Park Avenue property that day, as they had the previous day.

BBM

A crew is a crew. Wonder what the implication is in singling out that one member as being American (other than he was in training, so presumably a new addition to the team)

Just some miscellaneous thoughts

The school where the family lived is at 16th and Center, and their pickup truck was found at 15th and Vinton (looks like only about 5 or 6 blocks away). I can't see that a family of 3 would load into a pickup and drive that short distance and disappear. Mostly a residential type neighbourhood, with the odd business interspersed. Hopefully some of those stores have some surveillance after 3 weeks since the disappearance.

The family disappeared a week before Christmas. Sounds like the crew was working very hard and for long hours, so am considering that possibly there was a disagreement about overtime and Christmas approaching. Sounds a bit lame though, because I can't see someone deciding to harm an entire family for that reason.

Vanderlei's tools that he used were in the home office, so sounds like he made it home after work? Various cheques uncashed since the beginning of December ... sounds like he wasn't in desperate need of money. Wonder how much money he had built up that it was not necessary for him to cash cheques quickly.

Google Streetview shows a few large school buildings adjacent to each other with one having a sign "Central Christian Schools" at 16th and Center. Beside that building is a grey pickup, so am thinking that is where the family lived. Pretty ominous, empty looking buildings in a somewhat desolate part of the street.

This is 2 months later and approx 500 miles north of where the Jamison family of 3 disappeared from in Oklahoma October 9. But why children ??? Given Sherilyln Jamison's native ancestry and the Szczepanik family of 3 being from Brazil, can't help but consider that there may be a racist component to their disappearances.

Crime lab officials Monday were analyzing an abandoned truck found over the weekend to see whether it offered clues as to the whereabouts of an Omaha family that vanished mysteriously 47 days ago.
. . .

While police earlier Monday continued to say they had no evidence of a crime, on Monday night a police cruiser and at least one unmarked car were parked at the Szczepaniks' home near 16th and Center Streets.
The family's home is less than a mile from where the pickup was found parked on the street at 15th and Vinton.
. . . The Szczepaniks' Miami-based immigration attorney, Iara Morton, said the family was in the final stages of making its lawful residency permanent.
Therefore, she said, they would have had no reason — and in fact, would have had a disincentive — to leave the country.
If the couple had left, their yearslong process to obtain permanent residency and U.S. citizenship would have been jeopardized."
http://www.omaha.com/article/20100202/NEWS97/702029939/0/FRONTPAGE

What a mystery this is.

Florida real estate listings show Iara M. and Jonathan G. M purchased a Boca Raton property from Lennar Homes Inc in northwest Boca on October 5. It also shows that a B Szcepanski and M Szcepanski purchased a property from Lennar Homes Inc in central Boca on July 10

Morton purchase:
http://southflorida.blockshopper.com/property/06434631290000130/8292_nw_9th_avenue/

Szcepanski purchase:
http://southflorida.blockshopper.com/property/06434707110001380/3633_nw_5th_terrace/

I believe the surnames Szczepanik and Szcepanski are interchangeable, sometimes within the same branch of the family. I'm basing this on some other research I've done where some chose to Americanize the Slavic root name, with the "ski" suffix added to denote "son of" (or "ska" to denote "daughter of").

http://www.brebank.pl/images/BreKorpo2/Portal/BinaryEN/2335483/Erbud_171209_eng_2335483.pdf

bottom of page 7 shows both a Szczepanik and Szcepanski that I believe are related, based on same company, executive positions, and close telephone numbers. Could be wrong, but i don't think so ;)

"Private Broker"
Jacek Szczepański tel. (+48 22) 697 ** **
Director
jacek.szczep*****@dibre.com.pl

Paweł Szczepanik tel. (+48 22) 697 ** **
Sales
pawel.szczep****@dibre.com.pl

I'm not trying to tie everybody together here. THE ABOVE QUOTE IS STRICTLY AN EXAMPLE OF HOW I BELIEVE THE SZCZEPANIK AND SZCEPANSKI SURNAMES COULD BE RELATED AND INTERCHANGEABLE. IMO

We have been sleuthing out a POSSIBLE immigration connection in the case of Mariam Makhniashvili, Russian immigrant missing from Toronto last September, so this Szczepanik case has my hinky meter going in that direction right now.

Whitepages shows a listing for:

Vanderlei Szczepanik
1722 S 16th St
Omaha, NE 68108-3908

Job: Igit Services Corp, President

Googling the phone number indicates he went by the name "Vance". For some reason, his name, address and phone # shows up on superpages under Health Care Professionals, Psychologists, Mental Health, and Mental Health Counsellors.

In the article, it made mention of an American man that was part of the crew working late. It just seemed out of place in the article, and doesn't mention if he was part of the workers who showed up the next day...? MOO

In the above pics, I find it odd that Jacqueline's glasses were on the rumpled bed. Not a normal place for a person to leave their eyeglasses.

If I may jump in here,I must say that I wear glasses for reading and have been known to toss my glasses(foolishly) on the bed if I am dressing in a hurry because I have to race out somewhere or answer the door.

I wonder if someone lured the family outside with a call or knock at the door saying someone was hurt.

Another thought about the uncashed cheques, is that maybe the funds were not yet available and were being kept until such time they could be cashed.

I see some pattern here in that both Marian Makhniashvili and the missing family were both on the verge of receiving immigration papers.Could it be some kind of strange identity theft thing going on and /or mafia type involvment?
Maybe someone had other plans for that building and of course competition for jobs.Who is the one American and is he from Florida?

If I may jump in here,I must say that I wear glasses for reading and have been known to toss my glasses(foolishly) on the bed if I am dressing in a hurry because I have to race out somewhere or answer the door.

I wonder if someone lured the family outside with a call or knock at the door saying someone was hurt.

Another thought about the uncashed cheques, is that maybe the funds were not yet available and were being kept until such time they could be cashed.

Your suggestion re the knock at the door made me think of something dotr. With the size of the building, and depending on where their somewhat limited living quarters were within that building, I'm wondering if there even was an exterior door that someone could knock on and the family would hear. Those types of buildings don't usually have exterior doors that lead directly into individual rooms ... typically the doors open into large hallways and other doors off the hallway lead into rooms.

Re the cheques ... if the church was experiencing financial difficulty, maybe Vance was being kind in not cashing the cheques right away?

I see some pattern here in that both Marian Makhniashvili and the missing family were both on the verge of receiving immigration papers.Could it be some kind of strange identity theft thing going on and /or mafia type involvment?
Maybe someone had other plans for that building and of course competition for jobs.Who is the one American and is he from Florida?

When I saw their names I assumed they were of European extraction. I was startled to see that they were Brazilians. In and around the Newark NJ area there are tons of Portuguese speaking people including Brazilians. They (the Brazilians) are involved in fraud schemes in numbers exceeding their statistical presence here in the US.

Not sure if they were scammers or had been scammed, but I suspect if they were scammed it was by fellow Brazilians.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100202/NEWS97/702029939/0/FRONTPAGE

It says that Steve Eveans used to go hunting with Vanderlei. Wonder if LE found any guns at the residence, or if there were guns missing.

BTW, I hope LE has had dogs through each and every one of those very large school buildings.

ETA: Am I dreaming this one up? ... I though I read somewhere that Jaqueline studied sociology or psychology ?? Can't find it anywhere, so it may have been another case i'm thinking of.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100203/NEWS01/100209828

Published Wednesday February 3, 2010
By Jason Kuiper
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

Omaha Police are looking for a minivan they say belongs to an Omaha family that has not been seen or heard from in more than a month.

Police distributed a description of a beige Dodge Caravan with Nebraska license plate RHX005 and asked that anyone with information about the van call the Omaha Police Department's homicide unit at 444-5656.

The van is registered to Jaqueline Szczepanik. Police also distributed a photo of a vehicle that is similar to the van.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back