OH - Judge Orders Polygraphs for Rape Victims, 2010

Blue_Dolphin308

We can't help everyone, But everyone can help some
Reaction score
For reasons still unclear, a judge ordered four teenage sex-assault victims to take polygraph tests - after she convicted the boys accused in the cases.

The girls and their parents say the order by Cuyahoga Juvenile Court Judge Alison Floyd questions the victims' honesty. None of the girls complied.

The judge also ordered the four teenage boys accused of rape and other sex crimes in the cases to undergo polygraph tests as part of an assessment before sentencing. Floyd found them delinquent, the juvenile court equivalent of guilty.

The Plain Dealer newspaper said the judge's intent is unclear and she hadn't responded to requests for comment. A message was left Friday at her office by The Associated Press.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/03/19/national/main6315475.shtml

i wasnt shocked till i realized the judge was female.

huh? if this was a male judge he'd be off the bench by now....do the same here

This is not something new. When I was molisted by Step father ( for years) I had to take a poly at a young age.(under 13) I don't trust the things( and nore does my husband and he is a Deputy)

I passed my poly on the abuse but yet my sister whom I SEEN get molistsed failed. There is no way in Hell that test was right because I SEEN IT with my OWN eyes for YEARS.

Ticks me off. Let's not trust the victim let's trust a MACHINE that can fail. No that won't stop children from coming forward. ( rolling eyes)

I truly believe my sister ( as most know I adopted her 4 children from foster care) blamed herself and questioned if the abuse was real ( and still does today) because they told her she lied. She then lead and leads a life of danger in drugs and abuse ( abusing others and allowing her self to be abused and making excuses for the abuse)

Just another way my sister was failed. Unfortunally in the end it cost me my sister ( I WONT be around her PERIOD nore will MY six children)

The system fail children everyday and this is one of the ways.IMO

polygraphs are inadmissable in court. So, what is the purpose of this-they are an investigative tool, but since when do judges launch their own LE investigation??? I dont think this is legal unless LE asked for the polys and they were turned down by everyone involved....but they still arent admissable.

polygraphs are inadmissable in court. So, what is the purpose of this-they are an investigative tool, but since when do judges launch their own LE investigation??? I dont think this is legal unless LE asked for the polys and they were turned down by everyone involved....but they still arent admissable.
they ARE admissable if all parties agree before hand that the results can be used in court.

snip from the link:
"Prosecutor Bill Mason's office has filed briefs in two cases, asking the judge to stop ordering rape victims to submit to polygraph tests, and said Friday a challenge would be filed in a third case that it has identified.

The judge does not have authority over victims, according to the motion filed by assistant Prosecutor Nicole Ellis."

Everyday I think there is nothing left in the world of crime that can shock me.
And then I log on here in the morning, and everyday there is something else that makes me say WTF!!!!!!

She should be thrown off the bench for even suggesting it.
We already have ways to evaluate whether a victim is being honest.
It is called police interviews, supporting physical evidence, a prosecutor choosing to go forward with the case, and a jury that decides whether the case is proven or not.

The flipping audacity.

I would put money on the it that the judge has a son who has been "falsely accused" of something. Something that probably didn't make it to the light of a courtroom. But this screams of her having *issues* in this area. Has she falsely accused someone of a sex crime?

For reasons still unclear, a judge ordered four teenage sex-assault victims to take polygraph tests - after she convicted the boys accused in the cases.

The girls and their parents say the order by Cuyahoga Juvenile Court Judge Alison Floyd questions the victims' honesty. None of the girls complied.

The judge also ordered the four teenage boys accused of rape and other sex crimes in the cases to undergo polygraph tests as part of an assessment before sentencing. Floyd found them delinquent, the juvenile court equivalent of guilty.

The Plain Dealer newspaper said the judge's intent is unclear and she hadn't responded to requests for comment. A message was left Friday at her office by The Associated Press.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/03/19/national/main6315475.shtml

With the stories we're familiar with, such as the Duke Lacrosse case, I've been afraid that rape victims might find themselves facing polygraphs, etc.

But this doesn't make sense. The judge obviously believed she had enough evidence to convict the ones who stood accused. It is a day late and a dollar short to question the victims at this point.

I'd love to hear her explanation, I really would.

This is not something new. When I was molisted by Step father ( for years) I had to take a poly at a young age.(under 13) I don't trust the things( and nore does my husband and he is a Deputy)

I passed my poly on the abuse but yet my sister whom I SEEN get molistsed failed. There is no way in Hell that test was right because I SEEN IT with my OWN eyes for YEARS.

Ticks me off. Let's not trust the victim let's trust a MACHINE that can fail. No that won't stop children from coming forward. ( rolling eyes)

I truly believe my sister ( as most know I adopted her 4 children from foster care) blamed herself and questioned if the abuse was real ( and still does today) because they told her she lied. She then lead and leads a life of danger in drugs and abuse ( abusing others and allowing her self to be abused and making excuses for the abuse)

Just another way my sister was failed. Unfortunally in the end it cost me my sister ( I WONT be around her PERIOD nore will MY six children)

You and your sister's experience with polygraphs really explain just why polygraphs aren't considered admissible evidence. Innocent people can fail them miserably, guilty people have been known to pass with flying colors.

How horrible for your sister, though. Instead of receiving justice, she was molested again, and this time by the ones who should have been standing with her.

the judge can ask all she wants-no one is cooperating and she has no standing. I still feel like she is crossing a line into investigative boundries.

wow thats utterly ridiculous. if one of you is telling the truth, why would the other one be lying about the same thing? :(
sorry to hear this

I was re-reading this thread and just noticed your comment about your husband regarding polygraphs. I wanted to say that ALL of my friends in law enforcement tell me that they would NEVER submit to a polygraph, and they would strongly advice their family members and friends to refuse to submit to the test. It is just too subjective.

I'm a bit confused here. Why does she want this? Is there reason or new evidence that suggest these girls all banded together to fabricate a rape story? I'm not understanding it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back