Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: MA - Jon Hemingway, 36, Nantucket, 17 March 2010 - #1

Hybrid View

MA - Jon Hemingway, 36, Nantucket, 17 March 2010 - #1

This has to be one of the craziest accounts of a missing person I have ever read! And the poor guy was not reported missing until noon.

Details Of Boater's Mysterious Disappearance Emerge

The wife of a Nantucket man who fell overboard while on a boating trip with his family is explaining some of the mystery surrounding her husband's disappearance.

Jon Hemingway, 36, disappeared from his 23-foot Maritime boat while he, his wife and their two children were boating from Hyannis to Nantucket Wednesday morning.

Hemingway's wife, Katie, told officials she last saw him about 9:30 p.m. Wednesday when they went below deck to sleep. When she awoke early Thursday morning, the boat had run aground on Nantucket and Hemingway was missing.

Katie Hemingway told Wicked Local Cape Cod that her husband was an "impeccable mariner," who probably fell overboard while going to the bathroom.

"Since he was wearing boots, Carharts and heavy clothes he probably sank quickly," she said. "It is a miracle that we are all alive. I believe the spirit of my husband guided us to shore."

Jon Hemingway had picked up his wife in Hyannis earlier that night and brought their two daughters, Elizabeth, 3, and Madeline, 1, with him because he could not find a babysitter. His wife said he would have turned back if she asked him to and she "trusted his judgment completely."

She said the family left Hyannis at about 9 p.m. and went down below with the girls about 30 minutes later.

She said she was woken up at about 1:15 a.m. when the boat ran aground. She said that she thought Jon Hemingway was trying to free the boat. She called her husband on his cell phone, and while she could hear it ring, she said she assumed he could not hear the phone over the sound of the engine.

Katie Hemingway said she thought her husband went into town to get their truck, so she went back to sleep. She woke a little before 5 a.m., with the children panicked and scared

"(The children) became my focus. I had to keep everybody calm and I chose to get the children back into the cabin. That took about 20 minutes and finally everybody went to sleep. We woke about 7:45 a.m.," she said.

She called a family friend to get them, and still had not heard from her husband. A missing person's report was delayed to the Coast Guard because the friend told Katie Hemingway that Jon called him, and he "sounded fine."

Katie Hemingway later learned that the friend was unsure of the call, and was so shaken up that he could not remember if he received the call.

more

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nadjatheresa For This Useful Post:

That is bizarre! I hate to think this, but do you think she may have pushed him over?
    Praying for Jason.
    Find Beaner!
    Where is Kayla Berg?
    Justice for Stephanie Low, 9-22-14 RIP Stephanie

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mom who cares For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mom who cares View Post
    That is bizarre! I hate to think this, but do you think she may have pushed him over?
    I think it is possible. Her story makes no sense at all! But also, I'm wondering if they were even really sailing from Hyannis to Nantucket?

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nadjatheresa For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mom who cares View Post
    Thank you for saying that! I wondered if I was reading too much into the story or just interpreting the story incorrectly. I'm not sure that I buy it at this point, but it is early so I guess I will give her the benefit of the doubt at this point.
    Last edited by Blondie in Spokane; 03-22-2010 at 02:58 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blondie in Spokane For This Useful Post:

Earlier story (March 19):

Search For Missing Boater Suspended

Hemingway's wife told officials she last saw him about 9:15 p.m. Wednesday when they went below deck to sleep. When they awoke Thursday morning, the boat had run aground on Nantucket and Hemingway was missing.

Four Coast Guard boats, two cutters, a helicopter and a jet searched the waters between Hyannis and Nantucket. The 21-hour search covered more than 767 square miles, an area almost double the size of Cape Cod.

Boats and cutters searched the entire transit route from Hyannis to Nantucket, and aircraft searched from Chatham to Great Neck, down to Martha's Vineyard and east of Nantucket.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nadjatheresa For This Useful Post:

From the first article linked:

"Nantucket police said that an analysis of the boat's GPS showed that he fell overboard about nine miles north of Nantucket."

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nadjatheresa For This Useful Post:

Last edited by crocus; 03-22-2010 at 03:08 PM.
    Missing Persons Case Archive Albums ~ http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/m...nkycrankerson/

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to crocus For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by crocus View Post
    I think this is the business they own.

http://www.hemingwayscapes.com/testimonials.htm
    From the "about us" page:

Jonathan and Katherine Hemingway founded Hemingwayscapes, Inc. in 2002. Together they share 25 years of professional landscape experience and 5 years into a wonderful marriage. Their first daughter, Elizabeth Joy was born on July 7, 2006 and it has brought an amazing and loving new perspective into their lives.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nadjatheresa For This Useful Post:

From a different news source, police questioning story. There is a video here, too:

Missing Nantucket Boater Presumed Dead (03/20/10)

“We did an adequate search, covered the area multiple times. With the water as cold as it is, life expectancy is limited,” said Ronnie German of the US Coast Guard.

Police are now questioning some of the facts presented at the beginning of their investigation.

While they won’t specify what they believe was inaccurate, they do believe, according to GPS data, that Hemmingway’s boat began to operate erratically nine miles offshore, doing a series of circles before running aground. Investigators also said they don’t believe he made it to shore.

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nadjatheresa For This Useful Post:

Something is not right there. This is one I will be keeping an eye on for sure!

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to trina133 For This Useful Post:

"Katie" seems off. How horrid to speculate "he sank quickly." Even odder to say "his spirit." Does she already know he's deceased? Oh, Katie, I think everyone is onto you.

22. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to LLLindsayy For This Useful Post:

What the heck??? That is up there with some of the more bizarre stories. Hinky meter, just sayin'.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KT Can For This Useful Post:

Their residence is in Nantucket. From Hyannis (A) to Nantucket (B) is about 31 miles.

Last edited by crocus; 03-22-2010 at 03:27 PM. Reason: larger image
    Missing Persons Case Archive Albums ~ http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/m...nkycrankerson/

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to crocus For This Useful Post:

It looks like most of the information is coming from this story from the Nantucket Independent, which has even more bizarre details.

Link

Jon was planning a romantic evening aboard the Katie B., when he first called Katie to say he would be picking her up in Hyannis that evening. Katie and Jon, both 36, own Hemingwayscapes and Kate had been off island for two days in western Massachusetts taking classes in organic turf management.

"Jon was an impeccable mariner," said Katie in an interview at her home this past Saturday. The house was filled with family, friends, children, and dogs without collars. The happy clutter of toys, stuffed animals and picture books was bittersweet: the children were the center of the Hemingway family and the young father was dead. "I trusted him 110 percent when it comes to [judging] navigable conditions.

"

Since the plan was spur-of-the-moment, Jon could not line up a babysitter and took the children, Elizabeth, 3, and Madeline, 1, with him.

"The second time he called, he was en route. He couldn't get a babysitter and had the kids in the cabin," Katie said. “He would have turned back if I’d asked him, but I trusted his judgment completely.” 

The trip across Nantucket Sound usually takes 75 to 90 minutes and Jon made it to Hyannis at 8:15 p.m. that night, said Katie.

Katie had picked up dinner and a 12-pack of beer and brought it to the boat docked at the Hyannis Marina. The family ate aboard. Although there was beer on the boat, Jon drank less than a can and Kate did not drink anything.

"When we headed out of the Channel a little before 9 p.m., it was beginning to get a bit cold and I put some warm clothes on. It was probably 9:30 p.m. when I went down below with the girls. We cuddled, watched a movie and were cozy," said Kate. "The conditions were choppy. We were hitting some waves and I could hear water splashing against the cabin. The conditions weren't the best, but I had been in these conditions before and it all felt familiar. If I’d asked Jon to turn back, he would have. He was by no means on a mission.

<...>

Thinking that Jon had walked into town for a ride to to Madaket to get their truck, Katie went back to sleep. She woke a little before 5 a.m. The alarm was still sounding and the motor still running.

"I could not open the door and it took 20 minutes to get out," she said.

The children were panicked and screaming. The baby was crying and Elizabeth was screaming, "Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!"

"I still thought he was getting help, yet I was annoyed that he left his cell phone," she said.

Katie turned the motor off and pulled it out of the sand. 

When she was questioned by the police if the engine was idle or engaged, Katie could not remember.

"The children were panicky and I was scared," she said. "They became my focus. I had to keep everybody calm and I chose to get the children back into the cabin. That took about 20 minutes and finally everybody went to sleep. We woke about 7:45 a.m."

Katie called a family friend to come and get them at the beach at the end of Jefferson Avenue, where the boat had run aground. He had not heard anything from Jon.

To give him an update on their location, Katie called him back a second time 5 minutes later and asked the friend if he had again heard from Jon.

"Jon just called me," the friend said. "He told me he beached the boat and that you and the girls were aboard."

"Was he upset?" asked Katie.

"He sounded fine," said the friend. "I think Jon is on his way down here."

The friend dropped Katie and the girls off at their home and went back to the beach to stay with the boat. He called Kate and asked her to tell Jon to bring another propeller to the beach.

Kate would later learn the friend was unsure of the phone call. He was shaken up and could not recall what had happened. It appears Jon never made a phone call to the friend. This delayed Jon's being reported missing to the U.S. Coast Guard by hours. Based on the friend’s report of the phone call, the Nantucket Police first conducted a search for Jon on land.

28. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nadjatheresa For This Useful Post:

It's obvious she had every opportunity to call for help, She did not! Why didn't see call for help at 1:15 when she noticed him missing and the boat had run ashore? If he was an avid sailor, she would know this is something he would not have done on purpose. Why not call at 5:00am when she again noticed he was missing? To then go to your cabin and go back to bed, makes no sense at all! Very suspicious!

30. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to LadyBug99 For This Useful Post:

I'd think the first person to check into (other than the wife) would be the "friend" that said he received a call from Jon.

32. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to trina133 For This Useful Post:

Why do you call back in 5 minutes to "update your location" if you are beached........?? Don't think the boat went anywhere! And why was the friend shaken up if the wife still thought Jon had just gone to get their vehicle? Why does she state TWICE in that article that he would have turned the boat around had she asked?

Sooo many things wrong with this.........

34. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to trina133 For This Useful Post:

The friend's phone call with Jon sounded so plausible given what was happening. But, then was so shaken up and could not recall what happened????? And it appears Jon never called this friend????

I can't make sense of this.

36. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to crocus For This Useful Post:

Interesting statement from K's mother.

"I don't know how this happened," his distraught mother-in-law, Peg Braungart, told WBZ. "It was just a fluky thing. Nobody really knows."

Braungart said her daughter, Katie Hemingway, was shopping on the Cape and called her husband before taking a plane back to Nantucket. "He said, 'oh I'll just pick you up on the boat; don't fly'" Braungart said. "He had the two little girls, so he came over on the boat to pick her up."

http://wbztv.com/local/missing.man.boat.2.1575296.html

38. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to crocus For This Useful Post:

The U.S. Coast Guard did not launch an ocean search for him until 11 hours after Katherine Hemingway first discovered her husband was missing, according to the Coast Guard and the police.
    Adams said last night that Hemingway's wife did not think, at first, that there was any reason to report him as a missing person.
    A family friend alerted the Nantucket police to Hemingway's possible disappearance at 11:54 a.m. yesterday, Adams said.

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pb...WS11/100319732

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to crocus For This Useful Post:

For Jonathan Hemingway, a nighttime trip across Nantucket Sound to pick up his wife and two children in Hyannis was fairly routine. "He was an experienced mariner who was very familiar with the local waters," said Senior Chief Petty Officer T.J. Malvesti of Coast Guard Station Brant Point.

But some hope still lingered yesterday that Hemingway possibly may have made it to shore, and Nantucket and state police continued to search along Nantucket Sound beaches and investigate any leads into Hemingway's mysterious disappearance, Nantucket police Lt. Jerry Adams said yesterday.

Malvesti said Hemingway backed his 23-foot Maritime 23 into the water at a landing on Madaket Harbor Wednesday night and left for Hyannis at around 7 p.m. The conditions were pretty good for the crossing, with 15 mph winds out of the west-southwest and 1- to 3-foot seas.

"We didn't have any weather advisories of any kind," Malvesti said.

more at link.........
    http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pb...0/NEWS/3200323

42. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to crocus For This Useful Post:

The U.S. Coast Guard did not launch an ocean search for him until 11 hours after Katherine Hemingway first discovered her husband was missing, according to the Coast Guard and the police.
    Adams said last night that Hemingway's wife did not think, at first, that there was any reason to report him as a missing person.
    A family friend alerted the Nantucket police to Hemingway's possible disappearance at 11:54 a.m. yesterday, Adams said.

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pb...WS11/100319732
    The search started on land, where dogs picked up but lost a trail:

From the Nantucket Independent article: "Based on the friend’s report of the phone call, the Nantucket Police first conducted a search for Jon on land."

And from this article:

"On land, a K-9 dog unit searched the beach area earlier today, but an abundance of foot traffic inhibited the dog's ability to find a trail, said K-9 officer John Muhr. The dog did at one point find a trail, but lost it a short distance inland."

44. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nadjatheresa For This Useful Post:

The friend's phone call with Jon sounded so plausible given what was happening. But, then was so shaken up and could not recall what happened????? And it appears Jon never called this friend????

I can't make sense of this.
    It makes no sense at all. If Kate made up the story, why would she say that the friend heard from Jon in the five minutes between her first and second call to him?

And like Trina133 asked, why would she need to call the friend back in five minutes to "update" him on their location?

But one of the consequences of the phone call story is that the search originated on LAND, not at sea.

Katie called a family friend to come and get them at the beach at the end of Jefferson Avenue, where the boat had run aground. He had not heard anything from Jon.

To give him an update on their location, Katie called him back a second time 5 minutes later and asked the friend if he had again heard from Jon.

"Jon just called me," the friend said. "He told me he beached the boat and that you and the girls were aboard."

"Was he upset?" asked Katie.

"He sounded fine," said the friend. "I think Jon is on his way down here."

The friend dropped Katie and the girls off at their home and went back to the beach to stay with the boat. He called Kate and asked her to tell Jon to bring another propeller to the beach.

Kate would later learn the friend was unsure of the phone call. He was shaken up and could not recall what had happened. It appears Jon never made a phone call to the friend.

46. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nadjatheresa For This Useful Post:

One of the comments on WBZ-TV says the Katie B. boat is a "center console" and would not have below deck sleeping quarters.

Does anyone know enough about boats to know if this would be true?

link

48. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nadjatheresa For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by nadjatheresa View Post
    One of the comments on WBZ-TV says the Katie B. boat is a "center console" and would not have below deck sleeping quarters.

Does anyone know enough about boats to know if this would be true?

link
    I know absolutely nothing about boats...... but found this :

According to the Coast Guard, the family went below deck at 9:15 p.m. and fell asleep in a cramped berth that is furnished with cushions.
    http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pb...0/NEWS/3200323

There is a photo of the boat at the link. It appears, to me, by looking at it, that the space underneath is small.

50. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to crocus For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast