Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2223242526272829303132

Thread: MA - Jon Hemingway, 36, Nantucket, 17 March 2010 - #1

Cloudajo - could you place this in your timeline?

According to Inquirer & Mirror article (print edition?) KH tells them that she scoured the island for her husband "searching high and low, all his haunts and favorite spots" to no avail.

See Monsoon's post
    [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4989642&postcount=275"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - MA MA - Jon Hemingway, 36, Overboard, Nantucket MA 03-17-10[/ame]
    Missing Persons Case Archive Albums ~ http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/m...nkycrankerson/

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to crocus For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gnomony View Post
    Three big gaps in our knowledge (based on what I've seen posted):

1) details about the MV accident.

2) details about the friend and about the call he thought he got from Jon (apparently there WAS a call from someone, if the friend was able to call back and get a recording later in the day.)

3) details about the assault.

FWIW...
    bbm THIS is the part that I would love to know about. IF this "friend" called and left numerous messages, then who was the person receiving them?

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Astraea For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Astraea View Post
    bbm THIS is the part that I would love to know about. IF this "friend" called and left numerous messages, then who was the person receiving them?
    I wonder if state police have acquired all relevant phone records.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nadjatheresa For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by crocus View Post
    Cloudajo - could you place this in your timeline?

According to Inquirer & Mirror article (print edition?) KH tells them that she scoured the island for her husband "searching high and low, all his haunts and favorite spots" to no avail.

See Monsoon's post
    Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - MA MA - Jon Hemingway, 36, Overboard, Nantucket MA 03-17-10
    Thanks, I was just trying to find that. I added it - I hope correctly!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cloudajo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by nadjatheresa View Post
    I wonder if state police have acquired all relevant phone records.
    This is snipped from an earlier post by CapeCodder. Maybe the friend wasn't being truthful about leaving messages on a machine and the police got the records to confirm?

[snipped]

More than a few people I talked to said they knew who the "friend" was who got the call from Katie, and then finally called the harbormaster, eventually having his phone records subpoenaed by the Nantucket police to look at his calls. He is pretty well-known by fishermen around the harbor, from what I gathered, but I never learned his name. It's a closely-held family secret. No one I knew would divulge the friend's name that they only heard by rumor. All I could learn was that the friend might be someone who Jon scalloped with during the season, which just ended. I won't speculate, either, since I really don't know.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cloudajo For This Useful Post:

I was a newspaper reporter for many years, and the worst assignments for me always involved interviewing family members of homicides, suicides or accidental deaths -- including some later convicted of murder. I hated it, and therefore I probably let my emotions interfere with good reporting practices.

I wonder how many of the inconsistencies in this case appear to be worse than they are because of poor reporting based on understandable empathy getting in the way.

Consider: "According to Inquirer & Mirror article (print edition?) KH tells them that she scoured the island for her husband 'searching high and low, all his haunts and favorite spots' to no avail."

In my judgment, that cliche language ("high and low," "haunts") suggests embellishment by the writer. (Same perhaps with the choice of "scoured" and "to no avail,' although I can't tell if those words were actually the newspaper).

Whenever there is figurative and/or imprecise language in such articles, I wonder if the writer is entering into the spirit of story-telling at the expense of focusing on specific facts.
    "Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." -- Nietzsche

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gnomony For This Useful Post:

It looks to me like the fundamentals are not inconsistent.

Officials are quoted saying the search was initially confined to land as a result of the phone call, and that Jon was not reported missing until almost noon. Katie is quoted saying she back to sleep twice, while the boat was grounded and engine alarm sounding. According to police, Katie told them she first woke at 3:15. But Katie's quotes to media say 1:15, with the phone calls from 1:19 - 1:22. According to local police and Coast Guard, Katie did not tell them how she got home from the beach.

These parts of the story are consistent but, at least for me, more troubling than the figurative language and embellishments.

On the other hand, I have not seen any documentation of the roll over accident so have not accepted that as fact. But I'd like to know if it is true and if the marriage was volatile.

And I still wish we knew the last verified sighting of Jon and the kids, before he allegedly left for Hyannis.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nadjatheresa For This Useful Post:

Seeing the timeline laid out like this, it seems clearer to me that either John really did call the friend, and later disappeared (either by his own plan or at the hands of someone furious with him). Or John really did appear to the friend from beyond the grave and tell him about the beached boat.

Because the message is so specific - he beached the boat and the rest of the family were aboard. It's not like this guy drunkenly dreamed that his friend called him in a vague way, or else in that weird dream way where you dream about your friend cavorting with monkeys and a set of drums while at the Waldorf-Astoria.

If the friend were in on it with the wife, he wouldn't have later told her, "I don't know if John called."

It sure would be interesting to know what number he called and left messages at. I doubt people would lie about these things since they know they could be very easily verified with phone records.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dovebar For This Useful Post:

suzyq211 is offline Someone knows what happened to Robert Harrod!
    Quote Originally Posted by dovebar View Post
    Seeing the timeline laid out like this, it seems clearer to me that either John really did call the friend, and later disappeared (either by his own plan or at the hands of someone furious with him). Or John really did appear to the friend from beyond the grave and tell him about the beached boat.

Because the message is so specific - he beached the boat and the rest of the family were aboard. It's not like this guy drunkenly dreamed that his friend called him in a vague way, or else in that weird dream way where you dream about your friend cavorting with monkeys and a set of drums while at the Waldorf-Astoria.

If the friend were in on it with the wife, he wouldn't have later told her, "I don't know if John called."

It sure would be interesting to know what number he called and left messages at. I doubt people would lie about these things since they know they could be very easily verified with phone records.
    The above BBM

This is very true. It's one of the ONLY parts of the story that can be verified!
    Last edited by Salem; 04-11-2010 at 10:33 PM. Reason: fix quote
    Robert Harrod will be found.

All my posts are MOO and nothing but MOO!!!!

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to suzyq211 For This Useful Post:

Attacking posters a violation of terms of service.

The posters here are in fact a very compassionate group, most drawn to this forum because of personal experiences with crime and tragedy. For some, there comes a point where compassion and humor, speculation and sympathy, and so forth, are truly not mutually exclusive but for many here, because of our own experiences, a way we have come to view crime and even life in general. I am confident everyone here takes this situation very seriously.

The purpose of this forum is for us to safely discuss and speculate about crimes and this is an open state police investigation.

It is inappropriate to impugn us. Certainly nobody here were ever hack a facebook account.

It might be better for Kate, family members and other friends to consider posting on the support thread for families, a separate area created for the very concerns you raise, would provide you with a "safe zone" for discussion.

This is an open death investigation and there are many inconsistencies in Kate's stories, and I think we have all, until now, shown fellow posters consistent respect.

Again- there was never an accusation of any hacking being done by anyone here...just curiosity as to how this one poster might direct others to the info that appeared from reading that post to be public.

The point that I have been trying to make clear here is that some of those who are presently on island whether they know Jon & Kate personally or not, & some of those who have had close ties with Jon & Kate, or even those close to those who have had close ties with Jon & Kate, may have information to share here that may help lead to answers. Working together is important if, in fact, the reason many of you are, in fact, part of a very compassionate group. To send those whom you guess are friends & family of Jon elsewhere to discuss what might be helpful to this forum is not helpful to solving this mystery.
    Last edited by Squidster; 04-11-2010 at 09:14 PM. Reason: typo

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Squidster For This Useful Post:

It is quite likely that Kate told some untruths to the police & newspapers that have since been admitted to not be true to the police by Kate. It is understandable that she might have spun a tale to cover the shame of having had difficulties in her marriage. But something happened 9 miles off island to send the boat into a series of spinning circles that evening. As the shock wears off it is quite possible that Kate will come clean, if she is, in fact, holding something back. Hopefully she is in counseling, which if DSS is involved-- might be a requirement for her in order to keep her children at home with her.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Squidster For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Squidster View Post
    It is quite likely that Kate told some untruths to the police & newspapers that have since been admitted to not be true to the police by Kate. It is understandable that she might have spun a tale to cover the shame of having had difficulties in her marriage. But something happened 9 miles off island to send the boat into a series of spinning circles that evening. As the shock wears off it is quite possible that Kate will come clean, if she is, in fact, holding something back. Hopefully she is in counseling, which if DSS is involved-- might be a requirement for her in order to keep her children at home with her.
    Squidster, by "DSS" do you mean Children & Family Services or the Mass. equivalent? Do you know if they are involved?

Thanks.

Squidster, by "DSS" do you mean Children & Family Services or the Mass. equivalent? Do you know if they are involved?

Thanks.

Rumor has it to be so.

Sad if true. Sad if they had a volatile marriage.

Hello everyone and please accept my sincerest apologies for not directing you to the new thread for Mr. Hemingway: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101241"]MA MA, Jon Hemingway, 36, Nantucket, 2010-3-17, #2 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

I am so sorry - I did not mean to lock anyone out.

Salem

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2223242526272829303132