1035 users online (214 members and 821 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MI - New Buffalo, Body found on beach, Mar'10 - David DelCiello

I hope I'm doing this right, I'm new here and this news story is driving me nuts. This body was found on the beach in the town next to mine, and there has been no news yet if they have identified the person. I keep thinking if it was someone who had drown they would have figured that out already, which makes me wonder if it's someone who was killed then disposed of in the big lake.

Story here: http://www.harborcountry-news.com/ar...8014438227.txt

here is part of the story:
    NEW BUFFALO — Police were still waiting for autopsy results as of Thursday afternoon, Match 18, on a body they recovered from a beach on the 800 block of North Drive in New Buffalo just before noon on Tuesday, March 16.

Besides hoping to identify the victim, described only as a male in the New Buffalo Police Department’s initial press release, authorities also want to determine the cause of death, which was not immediately apparent, due in part to the deteriorated condition of the body.

New Buffalo Police Chief Larry Pitchford has speculated that the victim may have been dead for months before washing up on the beach.

~~~ usually if someone falls thru the ice, or drowns in the summer and no body is found they would have already figured this out.

Thoughts ?
    Last edited by Lurkey Lou; 03-22-2010 at 07:59 PM. Reason: typos

spoke to a friend briefly last night who is in LE and said that appears to be no one missing who was suspected to have drown in Lake Michigan that they've been able to locate thus far. Going to try to get ahold of him and poke for more info this weekend.

I have a couple of calls out, I will see what I can come up with.

There are quite a few people that are missing from Lake Michigan, bridge jumpers, kayakers, swimmers, boaters.

Here is a kayaker that went missing in October.

Douglas R Winter
    http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/65905232.html

Douglas Winter went missing on Lake Superior, not Lake Michigan according to the article posted.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

I know a few people with summer homes in that area, and they tell me there are always a few each year who drown after getting caught in currents.

I wonder if this person found might have been a winter accident? or an accident from last summer or fall. An idea of how long he has been deceased would certainly help with searching for missing persons.

Of course, I know in that area on some of the private beaches people will swim at 10pm- midnight, which always freaked me out.... and we have not had swimming weather in some time.

I wonder if someone went for a late night swim, or a swim alone and didn't notify anyone. If so a missing person could be reported, but assumed to have left of their own free will which is so often the case with missing adults, especially males.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    I know a few people with summer homes in that area, and they tell me there are always a few each year who drown after getting caught in currents.

I wonder if this person found might have been a winter accident? or an accident from last summer or fall. An idea of how long he has been deceased would certainly help with searching for missing persons.
    Right, supposedly chief sent out information to other depts on the lake who may have had missing suspected drowning victims to no avail, so far anyway. I googled trying to see if I could come up with any still missing , suspected drown and came up dry, but I am not the worlds best googler.

my friend just returned from vacation, so he wasn't entirely up to speed yet, I will be bugging him this weekend for sure though.

Quote Originally Posted by mtrooper View Post
    There are quite a few people that are missing from Lake Michigan, bridge jumpers, kayakers, swimmers, boaters.

Here is a kayaker that went missing in October.

Douglas R Winter
    http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/65905232.html
    I'm not finding that info. And that guy was Lake Superior. I know our area drownings were all accounted for, but when I googled Lake Michigan missing I couldn't come up with anything.

Maybe you can find more information from the Lakeland Medical Center:

The body was taken to Lakeland Regional Medical Center, St. Joseph, as directed by Berrien County Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Robert Clark.

http://www.heraldpalladium.com/artic...ws/1284166.txt

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Maybe you can find more information from the Lakeland Medical Center:

The body was taken to Lakeland Regional Medical Center, St. Joseph, as directed by Berrien County Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Robert Clark.

http://www.heraldpalladium.com/artic...ws/1284166.txt
    I have a friend in the ME's office, I didn't even think about that ! I'll do some more digging.

I appologize, I had a bunch of links up at once and I copied and pasted the wrong name. Here is the link about the two kayakers, and the following link is the one about the one missing from Lake Michigan. Sorry about the mix up.

http://gitcheegumeeguy.blogspot.com/...-kayakers.html

http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/...909211212_rev1

thank you mtrooper ! I just send those links over to my friend at the PD.

Quote Originally Posted by mtrooper View Post
    I appologize, I had a bunch of links up at once and I copied and pasted the wrong name. Here is the link about the two kayakers, and the following link is the one about the one missing from Lake Michigan. Sorry about the mix up.

http://gitcheegumeeguy.blogspot.com/...-kayakers.html

http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/...909211212_rev1

Gitcheegumeeguy went missing in Door County, Wisconsin which is the Green Bay area.
    the second link indicates he was found and ID'd.

Door County/Green Bay Wisconsin is a long way from Berrion County/SE Michigan... and a body would have to travel pretty far in and across lake michigan to make it all the way from Green Bay to SW Michigan.

I have talked to LE a little about bodies falling into the lake in the downtown Chicago area, and know the lake flows south.

I think, with this John Does case, we need to first know an estimated date of death, and a little more about the lake flow patterns in the immediate area.

hth
    Last edited by Cubby; 03-25-2010 at 08:03 PM.
    ~JMO~

Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    Gitcheegumeeguy went missing in Door County, Wisconsin.... the second link indicates he was found and ID'd.

Door County Wisconsin is a long way from Berrion County Michigan... and a body would have to travel pretty far.

I have talked to LE a little about bodies falling into the lake in the downtown Chicago area, and know the lake flows south.

I think, with this John Does case, we need to first know an estimated date of death, and a little more about the lake flow patterns in the immediate area.

hth
    BBM

Cubby, that's what I thought too because it said ID'd. But, in the article it said his body was not found.

Snipped:

The Coast Guard found Kariger’s kayak on Sunday morning. At this time his body has yet to be recovered and the Coast Guard has suspended its search.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

we have had them " land " in our area from Chicago and Gary actually, so the flowing south theory isn't always exactly on target.

I hope to find out more info this weekend, after my friend at the PD gets back to work and up to speed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast