Desert pictures

carbuff

Reaction score
Website
www.colealicem.com
Some of those dusty sagebrush photos with the junk cars in the background look like South Pass, Wyoming, though I suppose they could be anywhere in the dry part of the mountain West.

Last one for tonight. I think these three go together, though I don't have any suggestion as to who the two women might be. The background looks very much like a place I visited in Wyoming years ago, but I can't find a picture of it anywhere.

There are a couple of women missing from that area in the right time frame. Carlene Brown and Christy Gross, both 19 at the time, went missing from a rodeo in Rawlins in 1974. Christy's body was found a few miles away almost 10 years later; Carlene has never been found. I couldn't find a picture of Christy anywhere, but I'm attaching Carlene.

Attachments

• group1-kz3dq7-kz3dsl0066.jpg
    group1-kz3dq7-kz3dsl0066.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 197
  • group1-kz3d6o-kz3d5r0017.jpg
    group1-kz3d6o-kz3d5r0017.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 174
  • group1-kz3dwy-kz3dwc0093.jpg
    group1-kz3dwy-kz3dwc0093.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 173
  • CarBrownWyoming.jpg
    CarBrownWyoming.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 163
As y'all are looking, remember that the east side of California is mostly desert. There are many many desert areas near the Los Angeles basin if you go east, without ever hitting Las Vegas. Those desert shots could be the Yucca Valley area just as easily as they could be taken in Vegas. I'd hate anyone to overlook the California database because they are taken in the desert. :blowkiss:

I've reviewed many of the pics since I know a lot of people in California, but I can't seem to get them all to continue loading from the media site. Is there another link to try? TIA.

Thank you, Kimster... I was going to say the same thing- the lower eastern part of Southern California is mostly desert, just like in the pictures.

The desert backgrounds could be in Death Valley, Joshua Tree, 29 Palms, Palm Springs, even Barstow, and their surrounding areas.

Thank you, Kimster... I was going to say the same thing- the lower eastern part of Southern California is mostly desert, just like in the pictures.

The desert backgrounds could be in Death Valley, Joshua Tree, 29 Palms, Palm Springs, even Barstow, and their surrounding areas.

Yes, good point, it certainly could be, but the vegetation's often different, and California desert tends to be more rugged, less flat. Also tend to be more tan or beige and less of the stark alkali-laden white. I don't think any of the pictures have enough detail to make a positive identification. We should look for women missing from any desert area, even down into Mexico.

Last one for tonight. I think these three go together, though I don't have any suggestion as to who the two women might be. The background looks very much like a place I visited in Wyoming years ago, but I can't find a picture of it anywhere.

There are a couple of women missing from that area in the right time frame. Carlene Brown and Christy Gross, both 19 at the time, went missing from a rodeo in Rawlins in 1974. Christy's body was found a few miles away almost 10 years later; Carlene has never been found. I couldn't find a picture of Christy anywhere, but I'm attaching Carlene.

The woman sitting on the ground looks like Carlene.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2217dfwy.html

kz6i6d-kz6i5q0066.jpg
CarBrown.jpg

I wanted to get a better side-by-side comparison. The image on the right is the only picture of Carlene Brown I could find, and believe me, I've searched around a lot.
I'd like to know if she was attending San Diego State at the time. It would also be nice to have a picture of her friend Christy Gross, who vanished with her on July 4, 1974 and whose body was found nine years later. There is almost nothing about her on the Web, not even a description.

I know the timeline is a problem, since Alcala may still have been in prison in July of '74, but the similarities in appearance are striking.

Here is the Nancy Grace link which can be enlarged:
http://cnnnancygrace.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/00661.jpg

carlenepossible.jpg
CarBrown.jpg

I wanted to get a better side-by-side comparison. The image on the right is the only picture of Carlene Brown I could find, and believe me, I've searched around a lot.
I'd like to know if she was attending San Diego State at the time. It would also be nice to have a picture of her friend Christy Gross, who vanished with her on July 4, 1974 and whose body was found nine years later. There is almost nothing about her on the Web, not even a description.

I know the timeline is a problem, since Alcala may still have been in prison in July of '74, but the similarities in appearance are striking.

Here is the Nancy Grace link which can be enlarged:
http://cnnnancygrace.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/00661.jpg

carlenepossible.jpg
CarBrown.jpg

It's shocking how little information there is about those two poor girls. It hadn't occurred to me that she might have been an SDU student.

Maybe send a pointer to the appropriate Wyoming LE asking them if it's possible?

Very good. Thank you. That makes it unlikely that this road is in Wyoming :)

Well, if it really is Carlene Brown, she could have been on summer vacation from SDSU and happened to be in Wyoming on July 4th.

The timeline is the problem here for an Alcala connection, but that seems to be the problem with several other cases with strong photo matches.

Well, if it really is Carlene Brown, she could have been on summer vacation from SDSU and happened to be in Wyoming on July 4th.

The timeline is the problem here for an Alcala connection, but that seems to be the problem with several other cases with strong photo matches.

That's true. I had been assuming she was a local girl, but she might well have gone to school at SDSU and been home for the summer.

San Diego State was a big rodeo school at the time. Since she and Christy disappeared from a major rodeo, she might have been a rodeo fan or participant.

added: I found this link with a little more information: http://www.crimezzz.net/serialkillers/W/WYOMING_RODEO_murders.php

"The first two victims, Carlene Brown, of Rawlins, and her good friend Christy Gross, of Bowdle, South Dakota, disappeared on Independence Day, while visiting the Little Britches Rodeo in Rawlins." So one local girl, one from out of town, might have met at college? But the timeline still doesn't work out. Gross's body was found only a few miles away; they were almost certainly killed shortly after they disappeared.

Unless there's some mistake about the date when Alcala was released on parole, however, it doesn't seem possible for him to be the killer. August 3 for parole release, July 4 for disappearance.

This photo shows a car and then a few cars in an upper parking lot. Any of you car enthusiasts know what year this car or any others might be?

Attachments

• alcala car.jpg
    alcala car.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 188
This photo shows a car and then a few cars in an upper parking lot. Any of you car enthusiasts know what year this car or any others might be?

I'm on my brother's less than great PC, so I can't enlarge it at the moment, but at first glance it looks alot like a 67 Chevy.

malibu-67-chevy1.jpg

I'm probably going to sound like a car geek, but here goes.
On the blue car, the roofline is distinctive. It was only used by GM during the '65 and '66 model years. It was only used on full size 2 door models and even then, as far as I can tell, only on Chevy and Olds models. The trunk lid appears to come to a point and the tail lights look to be set into the end of the fender vertically. That eliminates the Chevys, which were straight across at the trunk and had the tail lights arranged horizontally. Looking at pictures of Olds full sizes for the 2 years, the only ones I found to have the same tail light arrangement were the 1965 Delta 88 and the 1965 Starfire. Links to pics below.
Delta 88
http://www.hurricaneimports.com/images/green-65-delta3.jpg

Starfire
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/36/76378061_68d73e90fa.jpg

The lime green car in the pic, I think, is a VW Beetle. Hard to certain with the picture so blurry. The other one has so much chopped off, I have no idea.

I'm probably going to sound like a car geek, but here goes.
On the blue car, the roofline is distinctive. It was only used by GM during the '65 and '66 model years. It was only used on full size 2 door models and even then, as far as I can tell, only on Chevy and Olds models. The trunk lid appears to come to a point and the tail lights look to be set into the end of the fender vertically. That eliminates the Chevys, which were straight across at the trunk and had the tail lights arranged horizontally. Looking at pictures of Olds full sizes for the 2 years, the only ones I found to have the same tail light arrangement were the 1965 Delta 88 and the 1965 Starfire. Links to pics below.
Delta 88
http://www.hurricaneimports.com/images/green-65-delta3.jpg

Starfire
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/36/76378061_68d73e90fa.jpg

The lime green car in the pic, I think, is a VW Beetle. Hard to certain with the picture so blurry. The other one has so much chopped off, I have no idea.

I agree on both counts. I was guessing the blue car to be a Cutlass, but you're right, the taillights are wrong. The yellow/green car is definitely a Beetle.

In one of those weird cases of synchronicity, it seems while one of our posters was commenting about Carlene Brown, the Rawlins paper finally! ran a story about that bizarre summer when four girls went missing.
Snipped.

Despite the apparent lack of coverage at the time, Banker was actually the fourth missing person in Rawlins in seven weeks.

The others were likely visitors to the area.

Carlene Brown and Christy Gross, 19, of Bowdle, S.D., were last seen at Rawlins’ Little Britches Rodeo on July 4, 1974. Gross’ remains surfaced Oct. 27, 1983, three miles north of Sinclair.
http://rawlinstimes.com/articles/2010/03/20/news/doc4ba44cdbd1dd7550062303.txt
I think this is probably the man LE suspected in '91. He is a bad un for sure.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2194/is_n1_v63/ai_15155542/

In one of those weird cases of synchronicity, it seems while one of our posters was commenting about Carlene Brown, the Rawlins paper finally! ran a story about that bizarre summer when four girls went missing.
Snipped.

Despite the apparent lack of coverage at the time, Banker was actually the fourth missing person in Rawlins in seven weeks.

The others were likely visitors to the area.

Carlene Brown and Christy Gross, 19, of Bowdle, S.D., were last seen at Rawlins’ Little Britches Rodeo on July 4, 1974. Gross’ remains surfaced Oct. 27, 1983, three miles north of Sinclair.
http://rawlinstimes.com/articles/2010/03/20/news/doc4ba44cdbd1dd7550062303.txt
I think this is probably the man LE suspected in '91. He is a bad un for sure.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2194/is_n1_v63/ai_15155542/

from the above link: On March 31, 1990, Clegg abducted the victim as she was walking in town, took her to a remote area, and sexually assaulted her. He then drove to another location, where he murdered and buried her. Clegg used a tire iron to beat the victim and then drove a vehicle over her. The car used in the crime was borrowed from one of Clegg's friends.

Where was this guy when Gloddy went missing, that's exactly what her sister said the perp did to her in the video I linked yesterday: drove a car over her after she was murdered! Good grief, their can't be two people with that MO is there?

Maybe it's just me, but these pictures look like they're from a beach to me. Not the desert. There are beach chairs in the picture and the girls are putting their shoes back on like they just came up from walking barefoot along the beach. Also, this picture from the Seattle connection goes with it, which clearly shows a male figure with a towel heading down to the beach. So I think they're in the sand dunes above a beach, anyone else? Does anyone recognize this beach?

Attachments

• beach.jpg
    beach.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 140

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members