1540 users online (272 members and 1268 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Billylee View Post
    Carl, thanks for that! I gotta go now, but I was wondering, when you do that does it take into consideration the fact the distance the picture is taken? I mean, one is obviously more a close up than the other, do you shrink it to fit the eyes and then overlay? I gotta try this, it's very interesting! Thanks again.
    The overlay is can be scaled and rotated, so the difference in size and head tilt can easily be adjusted for. In this case, I mirrored, rotated, and shrank the overlay until the nose and chin were aligned. I probably should have aligned eyes and nose, or cheekbones and nose because it would be off if the person's teeth aren't tight together.

In this case, there is a significant difference in the vertical and horizontal spacing of their facial features, so I wouldn't have been able to align the unnamed girl's face to the trace regardless of where the anchor points were set.

other possible match to Luray

This girl standing by the window in the hat has also been discussed as a possible match to Luray, as well as to a possible Jane Doe found in Mendocino County, CA.

http://cnnnancygrace.files.wordpress...0/03/00133.jpg

I have to go to work now, but will try to find some of those posts on the big thread later to get them moved over here.

kpdx is offline Jane Doe was discovered Aug. 14, 1977 outside of Everett WA
    i really think donna manson is a good possibility, too.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/565dfwa.html
    'Nothing clears up a case so much as stating it to another person.'

Sherlock Holmes

Quote Originally Posted by kpdx View Post
    i really think donna manson is a good possibility, too.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/565dfwa.html
    I agree. She was thought to be a victim of Ted Bundy, and he confessed to her killing, but her body has never been found. The timeline for Alcala is a problem, as he was still in prison when she went missing, but it's possible she just left town. She was depressed at the time, according to reports.
    Alcala could have met up with her after August when he was released on parole.

There's a striking resemblance here.

Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
    I don't think the hair matters. Most of us changed to that long straight style somewhere around 1967, often using straighteners if necessary. Or her older hairdo could have been permed and was almost certainly teased.

I imagine Alcala must have been in school by August. That would make for a normal four-year graduation. It sounds like even if she wasn't a runaway, she was still alive for some time after she disappeared. More likely she went up to LA -- everybody was heading there -- and hung around with the young hippie crowd. Fifteen wasn't as young then as it is now...

That said, I don't think it's her. The girl in the photo has a narrower skull and a slightly longer jaw, though Luray's face looks longer overall. Though possibly it's just from growing up and losing weight.
    They don't have the same shoulders, either. Luray has "sloped" shoulders, the girl in the Alcala photo has more "squared" shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty P View Post
    They don't have the same shoulders, either. Luray has "sloped" shoulders, the girl in the Alcala photo has more "squared" shoulders.
    Yes, the shoulders always bothered me.

Evidently I was wrong thinking this was a young male.
    One thing I noticed of the 3 pics is the first one (judging by her expression) is taken at floor level, the 2nd pic is a little higher- maybe this is a fireplace mantel? or a headboard?
    and in the 3rd picture (her expression gets more disturbing, it seems) she is posed pretty much higher.
    I haven't seen any other pics with this background, but I'll go back and look more thoroughly

Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
    I don't think the hair matters. Most of us changed to that long straight style somewhere around 1967, often using straighteners if necessary. Or her older hairdo could have been permed and was almost certainly teased.

I imagine Alcala must have been in school by August. That would make for a normal four-year graduation. It sounds like even if she wasn't a runaway, she was still alive for some time after she disappeared. More likely she went up to LA -- everybody was heading there -- and hung around with the young hippie crowd. Fifteen wasn't as young then as it is now...

That said, I don't think it's her. The girl in the photo has a narrower skull and a slightly longer jaw, though Luray's face looks longer overall. Though possibly it's just from growing up and losing weight.
    One thing missed in this comparison, the pic of the missing girl has a small mole or dark freckle on her neck, the girl in the comparison photo doesn't have that...those don't go away!

Quote Originally Posted by Concerned Mom View Post
    One thing missed in this comparison, the pic of the missing girl has a small mole or dark freckle on her neck, the girl in the comparison photo doesn't have that...those don't go away!
    The chins and length of the faces don't seem to match, either IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFromLB View Post
    I agree. She was thought to be a victim of Ted Bundy, and he confessed to her killing, but her body has never been found. The timeline for Alcala is a problem, as he was still in prison when she went missing, but it's possible she just left town. She was depressed at the time, according to reports.

I haven't really read up on Ted Bundy. Is he thought to have confessed to killing people he didn't, just to get his death toll up and become even more notorious, or did he make confessions like, "I don't know, I don't remember them all, I guess I might have killed her too"?

The eyes are the wrong shape, and Manson's chin is too square. Also, the girl in the photo has a long narrow face, especially narrow through the cheekbones. I don't think it's her, though there's certainly a lot of resemblance.

I don't think they're the same girl. The girl from Alcala's photo seems to have a much higher forehead than Manson. There is a definite resemblance though. They could easily pass for sisters.

Hard to remember but I don't think he confessed to killing people who weren't his victims. Seem to remember that he did confess to a few more before he died as some kind of bargining deal. And I think he teased them to the end making them think he would give them more names and then he didn't. It's really spooky that there were a number of serial killers operating at the same time.

Lray has a pock mark scar on her forehead. The UID does not appear to have one. Also the missing girl has what appears to be a mole on the outside of her left eye and that does not show on Alcala's photos.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast