The same flowered fabric is in all of these shots:

00123.jpg
00741.jpg
00981.jpg
01041.jpg

01181.jpg
01341.jpg
01501.jpg

I'm not sure what my point is. It might mean that the photos are close temporally or were taken in the same apartment. But I suppose he could have carried that sheet around wherever he went and in that case it wouldn't tell us much.

It is interesting. Maybe it means something to him or it could be the same location although it looks moved around . Like it was behind a couch then it was by a bed it looks like and then there was nothing in front (furniture wise)

I agree what a bizarre background to pick to take pictures in front of. IMO it must have some sort of significance to Alcala, why else use something that distracts so much from your subjects. Weird.

It's a horrific backdrop. Out of all the things you could use as a backdrop this would be the last.It hit me that there's a man in one of the phtographs with this flower power backdrop. With so few men in his photographs that stood out to me.

There's another shot of him, again with the girl in focus and the man half in her shadow.
It gives the impression the photographer wasn't particularly interested in him.
Wonder if it's a students' boozing party or something.

kz3dwz-kz3dwd0096.jpg

There's another shot of him, again with the girl in focus and the man half in her shadow.
It gives the impression the photographer wasn't particularly interested in him.
Wonder if it's a students' boozing party or something.

kz3dwz-kz3dwd0096.jpg

The guy in the picture looks out of it don't he D? He looks high, but also weirded out by something. Meanwhile the woman is having her drink. People in soical situations like that you'd think back then anyway wouldn't want someone snapping phtos of them partying. It's almost like the guy sees something the woman doesn't.

Back then sheets were usually larger than current flat sheets are for the equivalent bedsize, and rarely cuffed or trimmed at the top. Fitted sheets were unusual, almost unheard of in some places. Sets of sheets were sometimes sold, but buying lone sheets to the number you wanted was also common. It wasn't unusual to change sheets by moving the top sheet to the bottom and putting a clean sheet on top. Three sheets was regarded as a minimum amount of sheets to own to keep a bed clean and presentable.

I'm guessing the flower fabric is a set of old or second-best double bed sheets given to him by his mother to help him set up home. I'm also guessing he decided that as sheets they did not project the image he wished his bed to project, but they would be acceptable to use as curtains or to hide bad walls. He probably bought himself a pair of black satin sheets or something he felt was similarly cool or Hollywoodish.

So I wouldn't be surprised to see the fabric used in more than one spot in the same apartment.

I am so glad someone started a thread on this-when I first saw the photos this struck me right away... I think it is a sheet of course, I think it has some significance like the rest of you in that it connects him to someone

Thanks Donjeta for posting this. Anyone know if we should start threads for multiple pictures of the same person, ie the girl in the green shirt in front of the ugly sheet, there's two photos of her (I think, her hair is up then down) and the four shots of the brunette drinking with the guy?

Back then sheets were usually larger than current flat sheets are for the equivalent bedsize, and rarely cuffed or trimmed at the top. Fitted sheets were unusual, almost unheard of in some places. Sets of sheets were sometimes sold, but buying lone sheets to the number you wanted was also common. It wasn't unusual to change sheets by moving the top sheet to the bottom and putting a clean sheet on top. Three sheets was regarded as a minimum amount of sheets to own to keep a bed clean and presentable.

I'm guessing the flower fabric is a set of old or second-best double bed sheets given to him by his mother to help him set up home. I'm also guessing he decided that as sheets they did not project the image he wished his bed to project, but they would be acceptable to use as curtains or to hide bad walls. He probably bought himself a pair of black satin sheets or something he felt was similarly cool or Hollywoodish.

So I wouldn't be surprised to see the fabric used in more than one spot in the same apartment.

This particular pattern was very popular. I forget if it was from Sears or JCPenney, but I know I had some -- and yes, I used them as curtains.

Having a hanging like this behind the couch was very typical of the time.

The guy in the picture looks out of it don't he D? He looks high, but also weirded out by something. Meanwhile the woman is having her drink. People in soical situations like that you'd think back then anyway wouldn't want someone snapping phtos of them partying. It's almost like the guy sees something the woman doesn't.

I don't think he looks out of it or high, his eyes look very clear, and in a normal open position, not droopy or two wide opened. I think they are sitting on a couch and he is just normally observing her.

Back in my partying days in college, hanging with friends and drinking, we actually did take lots of snapshots of us. Actually we took a lot less than kids do partying now, but we still did it.

I see nothing out of the ordinary regarding this pic.

He's got his eyes closed and a glass in his hand in the other photo. And the girl with him looks like she's drunk, at least in the open mouth shot.
http://cnnnancygrace.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/00741.jpg
Can anybody tell what the bottle is that you see the top of in this shot?

But I suppose the context makes us look at people differently. What might be just an innocent snapshot of someone at half-blink immediately becomes a drugged person a few hours away from getting killed if you know it was taken by a serial killer. Hope they were all just having a good time with a murderer.

Actually I find the presence of the guy somewhat reassuring since we haven't heard that RA had any interest in raping and killing men, or had he? I imagine he would prefer not to invite a male witness to a party if his purpose was to make the female guest disappear afterwards.

I find it weird that no one has blood shot eyes, like they are stoned, doesn't a person's eyes turn red when they smoke pot? I think some of them were drugged in the photos.

The articles mention other shots with names and addresses written on the back. I wonder if some of these he wasn't scouting out potential victims? So nothing happened this time around, but later on, maybe.

This is my imagination, but to me she is chugging that drink like she is nervous. That ugly sheet makes me think he didn't care about the pictures, just wanted people to think he was a serious photographer. In another picture this girl has an overlapping front tooth and I'm looking through the missing sites to see if there is a description of someone with teeth like that. So far no luck.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back