1182 users online (233 members and 949 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NM - Joel Leyva, 52, brutally murdered, Albuquerque, 22 March 2010

This is a weird article - if a Baptist kills someone, would they have the headline "Christian Commits Murder"?

Quote Originally Posted by WhyaDuck? View Post
    This is a weird article - if a Baptist kills someone, would they have the headline "Christian Commits Murder"?
    LOL ! I was wondering the same thing ..
    What lies behind you and what lies in front of you pales in comparison to what lies inside of you....
    Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

Not Alabama but Sweet Home just the same , SC
    probably if the crime occurred under the guise of celebrating a Baptist holiday and a dagger used in Baptists rituals was used to commit the murder.

Quote Originally Posted by bamabeauty View Post
    probably if the crime occurred under the guise of celebrating a Baptist holiday and a dagger used in Baptists rituals was used to commit the murder.
    Fair enough, but the article is clearly also sensationalizing for shock value. Modern Wicca doesn't have a human sacrifice tradition for the solstice, though, and it's odd that they say she had a ritual knife in her jeans, as ritual daggers tend to be kind of large-ish. I think I will take this article with a grain of salt for now.

ETA: My concern is that media hype will interfere with the potential jury pool and her fair trial. I'm not defending her, just saying it's a shame that the media came right out of the bullpen with the whole ritual murder angle, as those kinds of stories certainly have a way of sticking.
    Last edited by WhyaDuck?; 03-23-2010 at 09:26 PM.

Not Alabama but Sweet Home just the same , SC
    I really did not even pay attention to the Wiccan part. Just the murder part. I do not think it had anything to do with her being Wiccan , just evil. It makes me especially angry that she lied about being raped. Every time that happens it just makes it harder on the real rape victims out there!

I agree about the crying rape part...yet not sure how they got the story they did get-I guess from her? And I think she volunteered the Wiccan part, at least that is the scuttlebut here and seems to math article...(she does have a weird MS page, but not the weirdest I have ever seen)
    NM is all about anything a bit off-center...but I imagine that a lot of Wiccans will be upset as from what I understand they really do not promote any kind of violence...I think I am right about this? Anyone know?
    Seemingly she confessed...so maybe there will be some sort of a plea and we won't have to deal with a jury pool...(i have lived here in NM for over 20 yrs and never been called for JD

ITA, about the sensationalism. It's ridiculous. But then, playing Devil's Advocate for a moment, we did recently have the Baptist 10.

I hope the news sources use this as an opportunity to dispel some misperceptions of the Wiccan folk. We had a Wiccan festival here in town to celebrate the arrival of Spring, Ostara, which was lovely and not a drop of blood of spilled, I was assured.

Maybe next we'll read of a murder committed at the Presbyterian Picnic.

I don't think Oestera calls for drinking some beer and a "small tequila" does it? What is a small tequila?

Here's Sanford's Myspace. Tad confusing.

http://www.myspace.com/107191955

Well, it seems at this point that the accused brought up the Wiccan business and of course the media won't be able to resist it...

speaking as a catholic, anytime there's even a hint of a priest sex abuser all i hear about is how bad all catholics are because of what lurks in our churches.......as if its our fault.

Quote Originally Posted by cluciano63 View Post
    I agree about the crying rape part...yet not sure how they got the story they did get-I guess from her? And I think she volunteered the Wiccan part, at least that is the scuttlebut here and seems to math article...(she does have a weird MS page, but not the weirdest I have ever seen)
    NM is all about anything a bit off-center...but I imagine that a lot of Wiccans will be upset as from what I understand they really do not promote any kind of violence...I think I am right about this? Anyone know?
    Seemingly she confessed...so maybe there will be some sort of a plea and we won't have to deal with a jury pool...(i have lived here in NM for over 20 yrs and never been called for JD
    \

BBM - yes, you are correct. I find it quite upsetting.I am a Wiccan HPS (and have been for over 20 years as a HPS and over 30 years in the Craft) and this has nothing to do with Wicca. Someone calling themselves Wiccan killed someone because they are evil. There is nothing evil in Wicca.

But, I do have to say, the comments here by my fellow WebSleuthers have greatly touched me and warmed my heart.

Blessings!

All kinds of hugs!

ROSIE

Quote Originally Posted by kbl8201 View Post
    speaking as a catholic, anytime there's even a hint of a priest sex abuser all i hear about is how bad all catholics are because of what lurks in our churches.......as if its our fault.
    Especially now with this Brady guy across the pond.

Sorry for the hijack. Just had to add that.

May Mr. Leyva rest in peace.

I feel very badly for the victim in this case; he will probably be lost in the sensational aspects of it...the poor guy thought he was getting invited on a date by a woman he had met a week earlier...(it's not that easy to meet people!) who would have expected this to happen to them? I know you have to be careful of who you go out with, but a walk in the foothills (about 2 miles from me) should have been a relatively safe date for anyone. This is really sick and the work of a sick, twisted person, but not insane, if that is her ultimate plan...

I have to wonder what this woman was thinking really? Did she just want get her name in the papers? That is the only reason I can think of because this isnt someone who she knew and disliked or had some burning love for. Just a random guy that could have been anyone?
    The wiccan thing I thought it was no drinking and ritualing at the same time, I maybe wrong but I thought thats how it went. I thought no drinking smoking ect.. 3 days before a ritual.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast