GUILTY CA - Taylor Powell, 21, brutally murdered, Klamath, 21 March 2010

Oblio

Reaction score
http://www.times-standard.com/localnews/ci_14746477

This is local to me, and the rumors going around are unimaginable. If even just a fraction are true this may garner statewide or national attention.

Absolutely horrible for all involved. This young man with no prior record showed promise in the career of mixed martial arts or cage fighting, allegedly consumed psychedelic drugs with a friend and brutally murdered and mutilated that friend.

Some of the comments after that article are interesting and disgusting. Sad story.

He will have a hearing this tuesday as to whether or not he needs to be held at pelican bay while awaiting his trial. They seem to be moving along quickly with this and the defense has not requested any postponements, but I'm sure they'll ask for a change of venue when they have another hearing.

Two things of interest from my viewpoint. First, I am shocked that Southern Oregon has heard so little about this crime even though, as the crow flies, it is very close to us. There is the issue of a National Forest being in the way. Secondly, in all the years I've lived in this general area (since 1986), I've only heard of one other person being held at Pelican Bay pending trial. This man must be mighty frightening.

Mushrooms. One of the most terrifying mind altering drugs IMO. Can change a brain forever.

Two things of interest from my viewpoint. First, I am shocked that Southern Oregon has heard so little about this crime even though, as the crow flies, it is very close to us. There is the issue of a National Forest being in the way. Secondly, in all the years I've lived in this general area (since 1986), I've only heard of one other person being held at Pelican Bay pending trial. This man must be mighty frightening.

Mushrooms. One of the most terrifying mind altering drugs IMO. Can change a brain forever.

I have never heard this about mushrooms. I cannot find data on life long changes to the brain. I wil keep hunting for that information.

I've never heard that about mushrooms, nor has that been the experience of anyone I know who has tried them. I have heard that about LSD though.

I wrote the above post due to two personal experiences. One incident involved a local teen who committed suicide after his first experience with shrooms (according to his own statement). The other involved the former partner of a family member and his seemingly changed brain chemistry after his third or fourth "trip". I tried to find two completely different resources for info:

http://www.magic-mushrooms.net/dangers.html

"Magic mushrooms contain psilocin and psilocybin psilocybin. These compounds are psychedelics. They will cause an effect similar to a "trip" on LSD. Loss of reality may be experienced and severe anxiety and paranoia can occur. You may experience a bad trip. The most important rule to prevent a voyage into hell is: START WITH A LOW DOSE...."

more at link

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psilocybin[/ame]

"Panic reactions can occur after consumption of psilocybin-containing mushrooms, especially if the ingestion is accidental or otherwise unexpected. For example, reactions such as violence, aggression, homicidal and suicidal attempts, prolonged schizophrenia-like psychosis and convulsions have been reported in the literature. The similarity of psilocybin-induced symptoms to those of schizophrenia has led to the drug being used in both behavioral and neuroimaging studies of this psychotic disorder. In both cases, psychotic symptoms are thought to arise from a "deficient gating of sensory and cognitive information" in the brain that ultimately lead to "cognitive fragmentation and psychosis..."

more at link

Here is a front page article about the suspect published just two months ago.
http://www.triplicate.com/20100115107951/News/Local-News/This-is-my-yoga

With his mindset and his career, it's not surprising that mind altering drugs could lead to this sort of crime.

The charges reflect the rumors going around, and by the rumors going around it almost sound like a serial killer losing his reclusiveness just as easily as it sounds like a cage fighter losing touch with reality. There's potentially a lot more to the story than we know about.

I want to clarify my position that I certainly do not link mushrooms with violent behavior. My comments above were based on two very troubling personal experiences. To be honest, they scare me.

However, after doing some research, it does seem to hold up that a person who is less than stable should not be experimenting with mushrooms. And, IMO, this young man does not strike me as well balanced. My guess is that mushrooms were not the only substance in his system at the time of the crime.

I happen to believe that because of a decades old federal embargo on truly unbiased medical studies on illegal drugs; cannabis, mushrooms, peyote--to name a few, we have been deprived of very important information concerning the dangers and possible attributes of these drugs.

I'm thinking of two recent cases where someone committed horrific crimes after smoking high THC marijuana while off their meds for schizophrenia. We need more up-to-date scholarly research and we need it now. Our doctors are prescribing untold amounts of psychotropic meds for bipolar, depression, anxiety, and schizophrenia. Many of these meds are horrendously expensive--costing upwards to $700/month. When someone loses insurance (or never has it) and goes off the drug, they seem to attempt to self-medicate with alcohol or illicit drugs.

If a person is hospitalized for a mental health crisis, they are typically given a month's supply of meds. Then what? Patient Assistance Programs exist for those not able to afford the meds but the programs are cumbersome and confusing to access. It's much easier to access a street drug that might "take the edge off". Might. And then, tragedy ensues.

We need more research!! And we need better "wrap around" care for our growing population with mental illness.

It gets worse. He was apparently still alive when his heart was cut out.

”Decedent had his heart removed from his chest while he was alive, causing exsanguination,” the certificate reads. Exsanguination is more commonly known as bleeding out. The death came within seconds after the heart was removed, the certificate indicates.

http://www.times-standard.com/ci_14888178?IADID=Search-www.times-standard.com-www.times-standard.com

There was another article today, Judge Follett has decided that there is no conflict and that Riese may remain on the case.

I'm totally missing why this isn't statewide news.

It's just so sick and out there.

This has been a main topic of conversation in my 'world' for the past few weeks.

My boyfriend owns a house in Crescent City, and his 23 yr old son, 'J.' (my 'stepson'- I have been close with my boyfriend and his family since high school, 28 years ago) lives there in the guest house.

'J.' was friends with Taylor, and they shared mutual friends. My stepson is quite upset about what happened. I guess Taylor was a great guy, loved by many- it's just horrific what happened.

So, if I'm not all wet, Ashland and Medford would be two of the closest small cities. Why has this crime not been well covered over here?

And isn't this the missing piece?

"If the suspect was under the influence of drugs, and if he was using steroids, it's possible he could have been “hyper-aggressive,” with more strength than normal."

I realize that it's conjecture right now, but it's the only thing that makes any sense IMO.

Removal of the face? :sick:

Removal of the heart while still alive? :crosseyed:

Since they carry "deadly weapons" - i.e., hands and feet - around with them always, boxers, martial arts fighters etc. often have to have deadly weapon permits. Since he's an experienced MMA fighter they could have requested the state prison because it's more secure?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back