UK - Caitlyn Smith, 7 wks, shaken to death, Lancashire, 12 Jan 2009

laura08

Reaction score
http://www.sthelensreporter.co.uk/st-helens-news/Violent-teen-dad-shook-his.6176251.jp

A teenager from St Helens who shook his baby daughter to death while visiting her in hospital has been convicted of manslaughter.

Joshua Bacon, 17, shook seven-week-old Caitlyn Smith so violently that he broke both her legs, 13 ribs and left her with injuries similar to victims of serious car crashes.

So sad this baby didn't stand a chance. Rip Caitlyn.

http://www.sthelensreporter.co.uk/st-helens-news/Violent-teen-dad-shook-his.6176251.jp

A teenager from St Helens who shook his baby daughter to death while visiting her in hospital has been convicted of manslaughter.

Joshua Bacon, 17, shook seven-week-old Caitlyn Smith so violently that he broke both her legs, 13 ribs and left her with injuries similar to victims of serious car crashes.

manslaughter? if you shake a baby so long that you break both her legs, 13 ribs, and make it look like she was in a car crash, thats a hell of a lot more then manslaughter! :banghead:

and where the hell was the medical staff?

Ugh! I can't even read the article even though I should be numb by now. Shaking an infant to death to cause those extreme injuries....seriously? What do they think will happen? The baby will shut up, stop crying and go to sleep? Yes, that's called being dead. Freaking pathetic wimp. I can't wait to see how popular he is in prison. :furious:

coward cant even admit he did anything.

i hope he doesnt get a slap on the wrist

Just look at that smirk on his face. And he "didn't do anything wrong?" Lying evil little punk.

Jesus. Help was available!
Why didn't he just put the baby down and leave the room?

I read the article and believe this man is a sociopath. He will probably go on to hurt or kill others down the road. What a sick bully. Let's pray for karma.

Not only is he evil, he appears to be quite dumb. How in the world, did he think, they would just believe his story that she just went limp after vomiting?
All of her breaks in her little body and the brain damage????? He had to shake her REALLY hard! Can you imagine the bruises that came up? Not very consistant with vomiting and going limp.

Sick Sick Sick

And, manslaughter???? Give me a break.

Urine infection? In a 7 week old?

and Manslaughter? Please tell me the charges will be upgraded at some point.

I wondered about that too, Believe. Unless she had a congenital issue, I can't see that.

And I think the issue is that he doesn't "think". Not a bit. He just acts.

http://www.drreddy.com/uti.html

"The urinary tract can be infected from above (by bacteria entering the kidneys from the bloodstream and travelling downward) or from below (by bacteria entering the urethra and travelling upward).

Infection from above is most often seen in newborns with generalized infection or sepsis. If there are many bacteria in the bloodstream, some are likely to get through the filters of the kidney to the urine. This is especially likely if the filters are immature, or if there are a lot of bacteria.

In older children and adults infection most often starts from below. In small children still using diapers, stool (which is largely bacteria) can sit for some time right at the meatus; the longer it sits there, the more likely it is that bacteria may enter the urethra. Baby boys are less likely to have this happen than baby girls, because girls' urethrae are much shorter and the head of the penis isn't as likely to sit in stool."

FWIW, I read on several sites that bladder infection in very young infants is quite rare and most commonly occurs around the time of toilet training--assumably around 2-3 years. One in eight girls experiences a bladder infection in childhood. This little girl might have had a general infection which moved into her kidneys. I will be hoping and praying that she never experienced sexual abuse.

She's warm and cuddly and safe now....and flying free.

But Bacon denied any wrongdoing. He told the hearing: "She (Caitlyn) was an easy baby to look after. I tried to feed her, but she didn't take it, so the nurse told me to try again soon. The second time, she didn't take it again, so I winded her and she was sick on me.

"I tried feeding her again, but halfway through she started coughing and being sick again so I put her down beside me and started watching TV. The next time I looked she was pale and floppy."

Oh, OK. I guess she broke her own ribs and legs then.

I don't really understand how she could have broken 13 ribs and both legs while being shook against a mattress.

It is believed the teenager lost his temper after struggling to feed the baby, and, while alone with her, forced her head into the mattress of her cot and shook her until she went limp.

I think he threw her against the wall or beat her with something.

Rest in peace, poor little angel.

mz iz, im not sure they can bump up the charge after he was convicted (even if its england) unnless he wins an appeal and is retried

So I am still pretty new here, so I'm not sure, but is using extensive profanity allowed when dealing with a like him? Damn. I mean it wasn't even like he was stuck alone at home. He could have easily just walked out of the room, or called in a nurse. (not to imply in ANY way that it's okay if you're stuck at home with a fussy baby) When will people learn that shaking a baby will only make them cry MORE, that is until you shake until they die. :(

In this article, it says: "But Bacon denied any wrongdoing. He told the hearing: "She (Caitlyn) was an easy baby to look after. I tried to feed her, but she didn't take it, so the nurse told me to try again soon. The second time, she didn't take it again, so I winded her and she was sick on me."

What does "winded" mean? Burp? He tried to burp her?

Salem

i thought winded her meant he did an airplane spin with her

im not up on british slang.

In this article, it says: "But Bacon denied any wrongdoing. He told the hearing: "She (Caitlyn) was an easy baby to look after. I tried to feed her, but she didn't take it, so the nurse told me to try again soon. The second time, she didn't take it again, so I winded her and she was sick on me."

What does "winded" mean? Burp? He tried to burp her?

Salem

Yes, it's a British term.

Jesus. Help was available!
Why didn't he just put the baby down and leave the room?

:banghead:
If someone would do what he did under these circumstances, well they are just downright psycho. Nothing would ever change someone like this or the outcome. Evil and makes me sick.

Unfortunately this little baby never had a chance.

RIP Precious Angel :angel:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back