895 users online (161 members and 734 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of closed adoptions, either. I think they should search the area where Carlene's best friend felt weirded out.

There were a lot of searches both when they disappeared and after Christy's remains were found, but I don't remember exactly where or by whom. I was living in Montana at the time and Christy and Carlene were my age, so it was kind of significant to me and very scary. Rodeo is such a big part of the culture in that region and you think of it as just a big happy family place to be.
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

I attached a newspaper article link below - I have seen on different sites where it says 3 miles North of Sinclair and I have also seen it say 3 miles South of Sinclair - so I am not sure which one

Newspaper article from Archives in Wyoming November 9, 1983
    http://wymissingandunidentified.com/...NP11091983.PDF

I wish there was a better Image of Christy Gross, but thank you verbandie! Ted Bundy was actually In Washington not Colorado when the girls went missing.

I am attempting to investigate a cold case murder/UID from northeast Ohio, 1975. I have spoken with a detective who said the files mention a WY agency contacting them to inquire if this woman was a possible match to the Ohio UID.

I don't know what came of it yet (I'll be receiving the files soon), but thought I'd mention it here as I see she is sadly still missing. It seems there is a good theory of Brown's disappearance, and in addition it's unlikely she fits the time frame of the death in Ohio. I'll post anything I can find about Brown in the UID files.

This is the UID in Ohio.
    ~~~~~~~Where is Eetu Vainonen? Where is Beverly Potts? Who were the Cleveland Torso Victims? Who is Strongsville Jane Doe?~~~~~~~

Carlene and Christy are thought to be victims of Royal Russell Long, who was a carny and truck driver. He generally seems to have not gone far to dispose of his victims, but since many have not been located, it's possible he traveled a considerable distance with her.

If anyone is interested in the report, it contains a lot of Carlene Brown's info that was used in attempting to identify her in Ohio. Her stuff starts at page 67, on post #52 on this thread. The links to the pdf report is located within the text of the post.

And unfortunately it seems she was ruled out at the time via dental records.
    ~~~~~~~Where is Eetu Vainonen? Where is Beverly Potts? Who were the Cleveland Torso Victims? Who is Strongsville Jane Doe?~~~~~~~

I went over Carlene's dental records and attempted to construct a dental chart to compare to any UID dental charts that might be available. Carlene had extensive dental work done. Here's what I came up with:

* Dental: Available
    ***** 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    Upper (R to L, 01-16) N F F R F N N N N N N F F F F N
    Lower (R to L, 32-17) N F F N N N N N N N N N N F F A
    ***** 32 31 30 29 28 27 26 25 24 23 22 21 20 19 18 17

N = Natural Tooth
    F = Filling
    R = Root Canal
    A = Antemortem Loss

From what I can gather:
    * Her lower right wisdom tooth (#17) was extracted. (I see no indication that any of the other teeth were extracted.)
    * She had fillings in 11 of her 32 teeth (#2, #3, #5, #12, #13, #14, #15, #18, #19, #30, and #31).
    * It appears she had a root canal on #4.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 02-16-2015 at 08:36 PM.

Bumping for Carlene. It's been over 2 years since anyone posted here.
    I checked out her NamUs page and looked at her DNA tab, and it says initial inquiry underway.
    I know she was adopted and not having DNA for her was an issue. Has it always been this status, does anyone know? Or is this something new?
    https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/14488/1
    All you need is love and. . . .(fill in the blank)

Quote Originally Posted by Alleykins View Post
    Bumping for Carlene. It's been over 2 years since anyone posted here.
    I checked out her NamUs page and looked at her DNA tab, and it says initial inquiry underway.
    I know she was adopted and not having DNA for her was an issue. Has it always been this status, does anyone know? Or is this something new?
    https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/14488/1
    Pretty sure this is new. The last I heard, they were going through all kinds of paperwork and hassle trying to unseal her records so they could try to locate blood relatives, preferably maternal. Maybe there's progress!
    Last edited by carbuff; 09-09-2017 at 01:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
    Ah, I thought she was with the Lewiston murders.

Do we know for sure Carlene wasn't bi-racial? I thought the most recent information was that she had been adopted as an infant and her biological background was uncertain.

edited to add: I went and reread the article at http://www.kboi2.com/news/local/127339528.html. It says Caucasion or multiracial:

In 1983, another skull was found just a mile from where the two girls' remains were located, he said. Though investigators were able to determined that the skull belonged to a Caucasian or possibly multi-racial female in her late teens or early 20s, they were never able to match an identity to the remains. Semrad said he has a hunch the cases are related, but at this point nothing solid to connect them.
    Oneida County Jane Doe's NamUs page: https://identifyus.org/en/cases/13607, who was found not far from where Patricia Campbell and Tina Anderson's bodies had been found. She currently does not have DNA available, but does have a dental chart pending entry into NamUs. She still does not have a thread.
    Last edited by theshadow45; 09-09-2017 at 02:16 AM.
    Who is Fly Creek Jane Doe?

Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
    Pretty sure this is new. The last I heard, they were going through all kinds of paperwork and hassle trying to unseal her records so they could try to locate blood relatives, preferably maternal. Maybe there's progress!
    I'm hoping it's new and means there's been some progress in their search for her biological family.
    All you need is love and. . . .(fill in the blank)

During a seven week period in the summer of 1974, 4 girls were abducted and presumably murdered. They include Carlene Brown 19, Christy Gross

Let me try this again

During a 7 week period of the summit of 1974, 4 girls were abducted from Rawlings Wy. The were Carlene Brown 19, Christy Gross, 19, Jaylene Banker, 10, and Debra Meyer, 15.

This was before the word "serial killer" had entered national lexicon and Police wrote off missing young people as "runaways". Only the missing 10 year old was considered a crime victim at the time. This was before the FBI or even the state police got involved. It was entirely the jurisdiction of the Rawlings PD and they had no idea how to handle such a case.

Royal Russel Brown, who is believed to have killed several young women in the Rocky Mountain area and Oklahoma, was living in Rawlings at the time but there is no evidence linking him to this case and his name never came up during the active investigation.

There was also a cluster of abductions/murders of young girls in Pocatello I'd. They bare some similarities but no obvious connection.

There was also a cluster of killings in Lewiston Id. They were different and there is a strong suspect.

These all occurred in the 1970's in same basic region (but hundreds of miles apart) so in small towns that do not normally have much of this sort of crime so they are often linked or confused with each other. Each "cluster" makes an interesting study and are well documented in Websleuths and other on line sites but they have all gone cold years ago and are not likely to be solved.

That's Royal Russell Long, isn't it? Not Brown?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast