1137 users online (199 members and 938 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WI - Father Lawrence Murphy accused of molesting 200 deaf boys, Milwaukee, 2010

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100325/...RpY2FuYXhlZHQ-

Vatican axed trial for priest accused by deaf boys

"The Vatican on Thursday strongly defended its decision not to defrock an American priest accused of molesting some 200 deaf boys in Wisconsin and denounced what it called a campaign to smear Pope Benedict XVI and his aides.

Church and Vatican documents showed that in the mid-1990s, two Wisconsin bishops urged the Vatican office led by then-Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger — now the pope — to let them hold a church trial against the Rev. Lawrence Murphy. The bishops admitted the trial was coming years after the alleged abuse, but argued that the deaf community in Milwaukee was demanding justice from the church......."

More at link

well in the 90's ratzinbeger was john paul the seconds watch dog, so he was only following orders

Hands up anyone who is shocked-anyone, anyone??
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

not shocked but disgusted. im a catholic, and this ***** doesnt help. this is why i said that about stereotypes in the killer witch thread.

you know, i guess i was lucky growing up.

from first confession, to first communion, to confirmation, we had a good priest, young, probbly about 35 when he first came to the church. he as enthusiastic, smart, funny. no fire and brimestone bs about the evil of gay people or pre marital sex, no sex abuse scandals.......i wish everyone thats catholic had a priest lik that .

i remember one sermon he was talking about how he was walking to the church from the parking lot that morning and found a wallet with 300 dollars in cash in it, and the first thing he thought was 'wow this will help our audio/visual department for cathechism classes'. it was that earnest, 'im not perfect' mentality that i admired.
    Last edited by kbl8201; 03-25-2010 at 02:42 PM.

When I saw the "deaf boys" headline, my heart just dropped. My daughter is deaf and has so many challenges. I know it is one of the reasons she was singled out for abuse. She doesn't communicate extremely well as I'm sure many of the young boys could not. Amazing what can be written and illustrated, though. Just amazing. Shame on that rapist for abusing little boys who already struggled. Shame.

kbl, my husband was also one of the lucky/blessed ones. He grew up Catholic (oldest of 10) and had a kind priest. He swears that not one questionable thing ever happened. Now, it was a different story inside my husband's childhood home. His father was an abuser and extremely active in the Knights of Columbus. Oh, he liked to brag about all the good he did for the poor while he was beating and raping at home. Once the abuse of his children came out, he was barred from the KOC group forever more...as he should have been.

I've often thought that the abusive priests, just like any other predator, look for the weak and vulnerable. My husband was a strong boy and very active and self-sufficient. I think he was seen as a poor choice as a victim. Maybe you exuded strength or a "don't mess with me" attitude or were just blessed with a good man as a priest. I try to hold onto the faith that there are many good ones.

while my home situation clearly wasnt as bad as your husbands, mz iz, i can relate to feeling safer around outsiders (priests, teachers, and later on, bosses, co workers, websleuthers) then to my own family.

Now the pastor I most recently followed was someone who I thought had the ear of God-OH my what a talent!!! But it turns out that it was just one part of a very, very dark person. His issue was grown women. Two affairs with parishoners, one divorce, a few restraining orders and a shattered/divided parish later, he has moved on to another unsuspecting community. The UCC felt that sending him to therapy for 6 weeks for his "weaknesses" was sufficient.

k-we will see how that works for him. I have been following his story still, and I truly believe that the mask has only slipped back into place with him. He is a time bomb, with a new wife, a new parish and a 6 month old daughter who may never now how completely evil and damaging he was to his older now teen sons.
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Another article on Rev. Murphy:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100325/...lzcHJpZXN0YWNj

Arthur Budzinski says the first time the priest molested him, he was 12 years old, alone and away from home at a school for the deaf. He says he asked the Rev. Lawrence Murphy to hear his confession, and instead the priest took him into a closet under the stairs and sexually assaulted him.

Budzinski, now 61, was one of about 200 deaf boys at the St. John's School for the Deaf just outside Milwaukee who say they were molested by the priest decades ago in a case now creating a scandal for the Vatican and threatening to ensnare Pope Benedict XVI.

Some of the allegations became public years ago. But they got renewed attention this week after documents obtained by The New York Times showed that Murphy was spared a defrocking in the mid-1990s because he was protected by the Vatican office led by Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, now the pope.

The Vatican on Thursday strongly defended its decision not to defrock Murphy and denounced what it called a campaign to smear the pope and his aides.

With all due respect to his Holiness, my thoughts and prayers are with Mr. Budzinski and the other 199 boys. That story is heart-wrenching. Could there be a much more vulnerable little guy? Let's remember that the boys who are now grown men did not create the "case or the scandal"; the Reverend did and his superiors turned away from the children and ignored their cries.

well i cant speak for anyonelse's priest/pastor/rabbi whatever, believe. just my own.

to be honest i havent been to church in like 15 years

I can speak for my priest. He was a pervert. No touching or anything like that, but as a teenager confessing to kissing a boyfriend in the confessional, he would ask inappropriate questions such as "did you put your mouth onto his penis?" when there was nothing at all to suggest that such things were taking place. Lots of "what did you do" "and then what did he do" type of questions.

I was actually so innocent that I didn't even know that priests should not be asking these kind of questions and for these types of descriptions.

But I quit going to that priest for confession, and left the church after I reached the age of 18.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysShocked View Post
    I can speak for my priest. He was a pervert. No touching or anything like that, but as a teenager confessing to kissing a boyfriend in the confessional, he would ask inappropriate questions such as "did you put your mouth onto his penis?" when there was nothing at all to suggest that such things were taking place. Lots of "what did you do" "and then what did he do" type of questions.

I was actually so innocent that I didn't even know that priests should not be asking these kind of questions and for these types of descriptions.

But I quit going to that priest for confession, and left the church after I reached the age of 18.
    good grief

This burns me up and I'm Catholic.

Never had an inappropriate priest but in my opinion the whole priests can't get married rule is ridiculous.......

It was a man made rule to save the church money and goes against human nature........
    [/I]

Quote Originally Posted by mysterygirl View Post

Never had an inappropriate priest but in my opinion the whole priests can't get married rule is ridiculous.......

It was a man made rule to save the church money and goes against human nature........
    Personally, I think this is a distraction from the real problem of pedophilia and child abuse. On this very thread are posts about abusers who were married or not celibate. A pediatrician was just in court for over 400 counts of sexually assaulting children!

IMHO, people get hung up on the celibacy issue b/c it makes them uncomfortable, without realizing that getting married wouldn't stop a true predator; in fact, it might give them access to more victims if they were to have their own children.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterygirl View Post

Not be allowed to marry has zero to do with the topic at hand...IMO A pedophile is a pedophile regardless if they're married or not.

I think it's wrong to assume because a priest wasn't inappropriate with you means he was appropriate with everyone else.

I am not saying all preists are pedophiles or wackadoos.

I've known many gay priests ...which always struck me as very odd. again has nothing to do with tha topic

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast