25 March 2010: Susan Cox Powell - Steve Koecher - Josh Powell - Connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PickieChickie

Former Member
Reaction score
susanjoshsteve.jpg

I have been trying to get anyone who thinks there is a connection to give their theory, but unfortunately haven't received a response that gives a reasoned theory, or a link to any theory previously proposed which I have overlooked.

I'm not particularly interested in Steven's case, but I am following Susan's case because friends of mine are closely involved. If there were a link between Steven's and Susan's disappearance, it would certainly help in clearing both cases up, but trying to establish a link based on an encounter between Josh and Steven in the desert is just too random for me.

I searched on this site for a while in the Steven Koechner threads to see if I couild find any of these theories, and came upon this link:

http://www.examiner.com/x-30706-Sud...nsidered-by-Utah-missing-person-investigators

In short, neither the WVC nor the St George Police departments think there is any link beyond a similarity in ages and living in Utah, but are happy to exchange information.

That's where I got to in my last post. There is no tenable link.

I have been trying to get anyone who thinks there is a connection to give their theory, but unfortunately haven't received a response that gives a reasoned theory, or a link to any theory previously proposed which I have overlooked.

I'm not particularly interested in Steven's case, but I am following Susan's case because friends of mine are closely involved. If there were a link between Steven's and Susan's disappearance, it would certainly help in clearing both cases up, but trying to establish a link based on an encounter between Josh and Steven in the desert is just too random for me.

I searched on this site for a while in the Steven Koechner threads to see if I couild find any of these theories, and came upon this link:

http://www.examiner.com/x-30706-Sud...nsidered-by-Utah-missing-person-investigators

In short, neither the WVC nor the St George Police departments think there is any link beyond a similarity in ages and living in Utah, but are happy to exchange information.

The only possible link I can think of would be if Josh and Steven became friends online. I feel if they ever did meet up with one another, it would have been prearranged, not just a coincidental meeting. On the day Steve was recorded by security cameras walking away from his car, it seems he was going to meet someone who then picked him up in a vehicle. If he was going to a residence or store, he would have parked in front of it or within close proximity. It would be very surprising to learn the two disappearances are related.

The only possible link I can think of would be if Josh and Steven became friends online. I feel if they ever did meet up with one another, it would have been prearranged, not just a coincidental meeting. On the day Steve was recorded by security cameras walking away from his car, it seems he was going to meet someone who then picked him up in a vehicle. If he was going to a residence or store, he would have parked in front of it or within close proximity. It would be very surprising to learn the two disappearances are related.

(bbm)
That Steven and Josh would become friends AT ALL is extremely unlikely considering Steven's devotion to the LDS Church and Josh's obvious disdain for same.

"It would be very surprising to learn the two disappearances are related" is a monumental understatement. IMO, it would be profoundly shocking! :eek:

http://www.examiner.com/x-30706-Suddenly-Famous-Examiner~y2010m2d27-Susan-Powell-Steven-Koecher-link-considered-by-Utah-missing-person-investigators

(bbm)

I totally agree, Bartleby. The timelines plus distances between locations are virtually impossible.

West Valley City is a bedroom community of Salt Lake City. WVC's population is over 123,447. Salt Lake City's population is over
1,115, 692.

Because Susan, Josh and Steven at one time in their lives lived in WVC is no reason to believe they knew each other. I've seen not a speck of teeny tiny proof that they did. :snooty:

I'm open to ANY theory that's fact-based, because a solution to these cases is what's needed. Despite what others may believe, I've studied to determine if I'm off-base.

Here's the problem with the "met in the desert" theory: THE MAP

Steven Koecher drove along I-80, not through the west desert.

Josh Powell claims he was in the "Pony Express" area.

You may have to move the map around, to see both A (Simpson Springs Campground) and I-80 -- but when you do, you see that there's no way to get from Simpson Springs Campground in Utah to Ruby Valley Nevada.

The paved roads don't even connect. Steven drove only along the freeways, based on the bank records and receipts. He didn't have time to slog (for no apparent reason) through hundreds of miles of muddy dirt roads -- some of which pass through no-access military areas.

That big light-blue area is Dugway Proving Grounds. You do not drive there there.
What's missing on that map, is the Utah Test and Training Range - which runs between Dugway Proving Grounds and I-80 AND THEN extends further north almost to the Idaho border. It's the Air Force's largest bombing range.

IF Steven had wanted to take a shorter route, he'd have driven up US-93 to Ruby Valley. Hollyblue knows that she and I hashed this out for almost two days, over in the Koecher thread. I'm not even the one who decided that Steven didn't go "off-route"; it was another WSer who pointed out it was near-impossible.

But many peopl have read that examiner.com article's headline, and not the full story. I categorize that non-journalistic story as "sensationalism".

Bottom line: Can anyone here show facts that link these cases ... without discarding known information?

Details ARE important.

The only possible link I can think of would be if Josh and Steven became friends online.

Same here. Or, if Susan and Steven became online friends. BUT ... the facts don't support it.

1 - Steven didn't have internet access in his apartment. There wasn't even a working landline in the home he rented in. He occasionally used the computers at the public library.

2 - Steven's phone records have been studied by LE. Nothing there but known friends, relatives and church members.

3 - Steven's computer was subpoenaed and forensically examined, with the same results: NOTHING on it gave a clue to his disappearance.

I feel if they ever did meet up with one another, it would have been prearranged, not just a coincidental meeting. On the day Steve was recorded by security cameras walking away from his car, it seems he was going to meet someone who then picked him up in a vehicle. If he was going to a residence or store, he would have parked in front of it or within close proximity. It would be very surprising to learn the two disappearances are related.

Frankly, I'd be THRILLED to find out that they were connected. Why? Because it would lead to a solution. There'd be things to check. We'd know, by now, what happened!

At one point it was thought that JP might have headed in some direction other than towards the west desert. Is there any known evidence supporting that or ruling it out, other than the behavior of the investigators?

I'm open to ANY theory that's fact-based, because a solution to these cases is what's needed. Despite what others may believe, I've studied to determine if I'm off-base.

Here's the problem with the "met in the desert" theory: THE MAP

Steven Koecher drove along I-80, not through the west desert.

Josh Powell claims he was in the "Pony Express" area.

You may have to move the map around, to see both A (Simpson Springs Campground) and I-80 -- but when you do, you see that there's no way to get from Simpson Springs Campground in Utah to Ruby Valley Nevada.

The paved roads don't even connect. Steven drove only along the freeways, based on the bank records and receipts. He didn't have time to slog (for no apparent reason) through hundreds of miles of muddy dirt roads -- some of which pass through no-access military areas.

That big light-blue area is Dugway Proving Grounds. You do not drive there there.
What's missing on that map, is the Utah Test and Training Range - which runs between Dugway Proving Grounds and I-80 AND THEN extends further north almost to the Idaho border. It's the Air Force's largest bombing range.

IF Steven had wanted to take a shorter route, he'd have driven up US-93 to Ruby Valley. Hollyblue knows that she and I hashed this out for almost two days, over in the Koecher thread. I'm not even the one who decided that Steven didn't go "off-route"; it was another WSer who pointed out it was near-impossible.

But many peopl have read that examiner.com article's headline, and not the full story. I categorize that non-journalistic story as "sensationalism".

Bottom line: Can anyone here show facts that link these cases ... without discarding known information?

Details ARE important.

The problem I have, and I'm not saying the cases are connecting, is we do not know where Josh drove between 12:30 AM and 5:30 PM on December 7, 2009.

Do we really believe Josh Powell tells the truth about much of anything?

As far as we have been able to determine, by contacting three colleges, he does NOT have a degree in business administration.

When looking at his bankruptcy papers, he lied about the value of 99% of his possessions.

When Josh Powell claims he left Susan sleeping in her bed on December 7, 2009, we have every reason to believe this is a lie.

Josh Powell claims he has 12 years experience in the real estate industry and that is also a lie!

I do not think Josh and Steve just happened to run into each other out in the desert.

I do not think Susan and Steve have run off together.

The only possible connection would be that Josh, Michael and/or Steve Powell conspired together with Steve Koecher. This, however, is highly unlikely, in my opinion.

However, the fact he just parked and then walked away from his car, apparently walking several blocks, then just up and disappears is very suspicious to say the least.

Was Steve Koecher instructed to park there then walk to meet someone who didn't want his car seen at their home?

Is there a possibility that Steve Koecher is in victim witness protection?

Please don't jump all over me for my input here or I will not participate in this particular topic any longer. Thank you

I don't personally think there is a connection, but if there were, I know which of those two men I would pick!!!!

If Susan had to pick, the choice would be "neither" (frankly).

In fact, if you study their work records, they were similar. No job was ever "just right"uently.

If you study their personalities, there are *some* similarities. Although their religious views were practically opposite of each other, they were as strongly held.

Steven was unable to find "the right girl". When he did find one he thought was right, he prayed to God (who told him she was not the right girl for him). Is that the kind of guy who'd run off with a married woman who had two children?

There are some issues with Steven that I will not discuss. You can read posts by his friend gsmith, right here on WS and get some clues. There is also information from close friends, that cannot be publicly disclosed.

Steven wouldn't have driven through a muddy desert. Susan wouldn't have run off with him.

Although he's being portrayed as a "hero" for rescuing two latchkey children who were locked out of their home, all he really did was call their mother on his cellphone.

It's my personal belief that we cannot project someone's use of a cellphone into heroics involving an encounter with Josh Powell.

Was Steve Koecher instructed to park there then walk to meet someone who didn't want his car seen at their home?
Was he instructed to park there for any reason? Another one that comes to mind is simply because someone wanted him to demonstrate his willingness to follow orders.

The problem I have, and I'm not saying the cases are connecting, is we do not know where Josh drove between 12:30 AM and 5:30 PM on December 7, 2009.

Do we really believe Josh Powell tells the truth about much of anything?

(gentle snippage)

Absolutely NOT. I believe nothing from that man. I don't even believe he went to the west desert. I think he lied, to throw everyone off and it's working (at least publicly). Why would he even be familiar enough with that area, to go out there in the dark, in December, with two small children?

If JP says he went west, I'd be looking east. Or in the garbage dump. Why take a body that far, when you can dump it in one of the gigantic trash cans that is out on the street...and have it taken away for you?

In fact, I'm starting to think the reason LE quit searching out there, is that they don't believe Susan's out there, either. I'm not so sure Mr Cox believes it, either.

Have you seen this recent article, about Mr Cox going out to the desert, just recently? It was his first visit. ABC-4, March 23

Quote: "I surmised he was searching more for a feeling than a thing. He wanted to know if his daughter’s fate was somehow tied to this place. And he seemed to come away more determined than ever that the answer would not be found there.
I believe that is why the Cox family has now come out with even stronger statements of caution about the planned search of the Simpson Springs area on April 10th."

However, the fact he just parked and then walked away from his car, apparently walking several blocks, then just up and disappears is very suspicious to say the least.

Is there a possibility that Steve Koecher is in victim witness protection?

Witness protection:
When someone goes into witness protection, their family knows about it and has means of communication (through an intermediary). Why would they report someone in the WP as "missing" and have everyone try to find them? That'd endanger the "missing" person's life, I think.

Was he instructed to park there for any reason? Another one that comes to mind is simply because someone wanted him to demonstrate his willingness to follow orders.

Or...maybe he was just driving around, and saw that it was the perfect place to park. It's the only "unoccupied" dead end in that entire, huge Anthem Sun City area. We can't rule out that he went there to harm himself, can we? (Isn't that the simplest theory?)

At one point it was thought that JP might have headed in some direction other than towards the west desert. Is there any known evidence supporting that or ruling it out, other than the behavior of the investigators?

No. I think they *have* to search the area, "just because he said so" (and public pressure).

That's a long way to drive, if you're unprepared. Certainly he'd have had to make a gas purchase at some time. Or get supplies for the kids.

Is it at all possible he just drove around to put miles on the car ... to support his alibi? I think so. Doing it again in the rental car, to avoid everyone and add to the mystery?

If Susan had to pick, the choice would be "neither" (frankly).

In fact, if you study their work records, they were similar. No job was ever "just right"uently.

If you study their personalities, there are *some* similarities. Although their religious views were practically opposite of each other, they were as strongly held.

Steven was unable to find "the right girl". When he did find one he thought was right, he prayed to God (who told him she was not the right girl for him). Is that the kind of guy who'd run off with a married woman who had two children?

There are some issues with Steven that I will not discuss. You can read posts by his friend gsmith, right here on WS and get some clues. There is also information from close friends, that cannot be publicly disclosed.

Steven wouldn't have driven through a muddy desert. Susan wouldn't have run off with him.

Although he's being portrayed as a "hero" for rescuing two latchkey children who were locked out of their home, all he really did was call their mother on his cellphone.

It's my personal belief that we cannot project someone's use of a cellphone into heroics involving an encounter with Josh Powell.

I'm more shallow than you give me credit for--I was just going by the photos!!

LOL! :crazy:

(gentle snippage)

If JP says he went west, I'd be looking east. Or in the garbage dump. Why take a body that far, when you can dump it in one of the gigantic trash cans that is out on the street...and have it taken away for you?

I believe the first place Josh would head for, when in a state of panic, is home to dear old dad. I think he drove towards Puyallup!

Of course we don't know what law enforcement has learned through phone records or if they have even subpoenaed Steve or Michael Powell's phone records, but I would think Josh would have stopped at a pay phone and called his father or brother then told them to go to a pay phone to call him.

I just can't fathom Josh dealing with the entire Susan disposal without having consulted someone!

I'm more shallow than you give me credit for--I was just going by the photos!!

LOL! :crazy:

I would never disrespect you, by calling you shallow. We may tangle in other ways, but deeply and caringly.

That picture of Steven, is what hooked me into the case. He looks like a guy I met at Quickie Lube a few years ago, who asked me "Ma'am, are you HOT?"
and I started giggling ;)

I believe the first place Josh would head for, when in a state of panic, is home to dear old dad. I think he drove towards Puyallup!

Of course we don't know what law enforcement has learned through phone records or if they have even subpoenaed Steve or Michael Powell's phone records, but I would think Josh would have stopped at a pay phone and called his father or brother then told them to go to a pay phone to call him.

I just can't fathom Josh dealing with the entire Susan disposal without having consulted someone!

I think Josh could dispose by himself...but I agree on the direction: I-84. My daughter and I just drove that way, this week (well...as far as Caldwell, Idaho).

If I were Josh, I'd drive that way and take one of the exits north of Tremonton, Utah. There's many more paved roads that go off into nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk