NY NY - Carol Ryan, 42, Jamesville, 1 Sep 1996

gogrannypop

Call Me Butter, I'm On A Roll
Reaction score
http://watertown.ynn.com/content/top_stories/499975/case-unsolved-after-15-years/?ap=1&MP

~snip~

Someone, in the early morning hours of September 1, 1996, brutally beat 42-year-old Carol Ryan beyond recognition and left her to die at the entrance of the Onondaga County Resource Recovery Agency in Jamesville.

Carol Ryan lived in Eastwood at Grant Village Apartments. Her mode of transportation?
Her feet. She often walked to where she needed to go. Including a local bar not far from her home.

"The last place she was seen alive for sure was the East Room Tavern on James Street in Eastwood section of the city,"

"She was last seen leaving the bar wearing a black jacket with fringe. A silver silk blouse and dark colored jeans,"

the perpetrator had taken some type of explosive device. I think we speculated it might have been an M80. Placed it in her vagina and set it off," said Onondaga County District Attorney William Fitzpatrick

A heinous, despicable, indescribable crime

Maybe we can help this family find out who did this to their loved one.

Wow-My husband was just asking me about this case,he remembered when this happened,but I did not...I've been to the East Room a few times as I use to live a block away from there.It was not a friendly bar back then..a lot of rough people!! I still go by that bar on occasions!
I hope they can find her killer and give her son some peace!!

Very scary, intriguing case. Does anyone really know anything about Carol? Did she have enemies at all?

Found this about the case:

http://centralny.twcnews.com/content/news/499975/case-unsolved-after-15-years/

CNY

Case unsolved after 15 years
By: Joleene Des Rosiers 03/27/2010 08:20 AM ShareThis Facebook Tweet Email Text size: + -
CNY/NNY/S. Tier: Case unsolved after 15 years
Play now
Once a month, YNN is bringing a cold case to your attention in an effort to help bring the killer or killers to justice. This month, YNN's Joleene Des Rosiers explores the unsettled death of 42-year-old Carol Ryan. Murdered in Jamesville, NY, in 1996.

JAMESVILLE, N.Y. -- "What struck me, of course, as it did most of the detectives that have worked on this case was the nature of the injuries. Obviously, the perpetrator had taken some type of explosive device. I think we speculated it might have been an M80. Placed it in her vagina and set it off," said Onondaga County District Attorney William Fitzpatrick

A heinous, despicable, indescribable crime. Someone, in the early morning hours of September 1, 1996, brutally beat 42-year-old Carol Ryan beyond recognition and left her to die at the entrance of the Onondaga County Resource Recovery Agency in Jamesville.

"She was still alive, even after suffering this blunt trauma and the explosive device, she was still alive," said Detective Keith Hall.

"This is one of the most gruesome deaths that I had ever seen. The use of an explosive. The extensive beating said Onondaga County Sheriff Kevin Walsh.

For her son, Shawn Hamilton, the pain of her death is unbearable even after 15 years. His mother will never know his family.

"I pray. I pray a lot. I know that she's still looking out for me," Hamilton said.

Carol Ryan lived in Eastwood at Grant Village Apartments. Her mode of transportation?
Her feet. She often walked to where she needed to go. Including a local bar not far from her home.

"The last place she was seen alive for sure was the East Room Tavern on James Street in Eastwood section of the city," Fitzpatrick said.

"She was last seen leaving the bar wearing a black jacket with fringe. A silver silk blouse and dark colored jeans," Hall said.

She left alone. Somehow, somewhere, she found company. They beat her, drove her to the side of Route 91 in Jamesville, dumped her body at the entrance of the OCRRA site and then detonated an explosive device in her pelvis. She lay there for at least three hours, moaning, fighting for her life.

"She was discovered a little after 5 o'clock in the morning on September 1, 1996, by a passing motorist. He was on his way to fish," Hall said.

"He saw something alongside the road," said Walsh.

It was Carol Ryan. Barely alive. EMTs moved fast to save her. But she died during surgery. And authorities have never stopped looking for her killer.

"The reason that we're even discussing this case is because we feel certain that there are people out there that may have seen something either that night or the following morning or in the 15 years since that have some information. They may be afraid of this person, justifiably so. We can make efforts to protect them. We can put them in protective custody. We can move them. We can do a lot of things. But we need someone to come forward and give us the missing pieces that we need to finally solve this case," Fitzpatrick said.

"The guilt can weight on people. And it can be the thing that triggers somebody to come forward. Not that they necessarily were the ones who did it, but they have that guilty knowledge on who committed this crime," said Walsh.

"My Mom was gruesomely beaten and killed. And what kind of closure can you ever have on that? I have to live the rest of my life like this. With these thoughts, with these feelings," Hamilton said.

"This is one of those cases that she sustained such traumatic injury, that everyone has a vested interest in this in getting it closed. We look to the public. If you have any information or any recollection about things that may have been mentioned to you in 1996 or even recently. Give us a call," said Hall.

Carol Ryan's personal affects have never been found. Her purse. A red, ruby ring. Fitzpatrick believes the killer went to great lengths to get rid of these items in an effort to hide any DNA evidence. But some evidence still remains. And new technology is bringing them even closer. All they need now is that one tip from you.

Right now, this case is unsettled. And it's up to you to turn it around. Remember, you can and will be protected. Call (315) 435-3081 with any information you have on the 1996 killing of Carol Ryan.

- See more at: http://centralny.twcnews.com/content/news/499975/case-unsolved-after-15-years/#sthash.RRg4MEGI.dpuf

what kind of animal!!!! Who did she usually pal around with? Didi she have many acquaintances/drinking buddies at the bar? Maybe a fight was brewing or some bad feelings (someone looked at someone the wrong way, took someone's drink off the bar---all seemingly silly things that get blown out of proprtion when alcohol is involved). Was her apartment ransacked??????? Maybe the murdered took her keys and went thru the apartment.

Did she have any enemies? Did she live a high risk lifestyle? What was her line of work? Was Jamesville a rough town? Was she dating anyone, married? There are so many missing pieces.

Police shine light on 20-year-old cold case

http://wrvo.org/post/police-shine-light-20-year-old-cold-case#stream/0

On the 20th anniversary of a heinous murder in Onondaga County, police are hoping a reward helps crack what remains an unsolved case.

Onondaga County Sheriff Gene Conway was a captain of investigations for the sheriff’s department at the time and was called to the scene, which he says he will never forget.

“For me that’s what makes it most personal. That somebody went to the extent that they took, in order to take her life," said Conway at a news conference in Syracuse Wednesday.

Conway is hoping that a $10,000 reward will revive some memories of that late summer night, and help investigators in what has been a continuing probe. The sheriff says 20 years is not too long to break a case.

“The fact that leads have been worked on as recently as last week, is testament to the fact that a homicide is something we never ever let go of. And though time passes, it doesn’t necessarily mean, that the chances diminish to find whoever is responsible for the crime,” said Conway.

Thanks @JCaskman1 for bringing this case to my attention. In reading about what happened to Ms. Ryan, I have to think that the murder was quite personal. If I was investigating the case I would have to look very hard at everyone that she was close to, as well as any potential suitors who had been rejected and any exes she might have had.

It could also have been some random guy she met in the bar in Eastwood where she was last seen. I suspect the explosive device was used in a crude attempt to destroy evidence of sexual assault or semen. It was quite cruel and it scares me that this person is still out there. There were a lot of local rumors going around about this case, I remember at the time.

That is very possible, I am just taken by the symbolism of the attack. Blowing up the womb, so to speak, seems to me like someone who wanted to punish her for some unknown deed. Possibly like having a child or being intimate with someone that the assailant did not want her to be. Or, perhaps even not being intimate with someone the assailant did want her to be.

Sept 9 2021
Reward offered in one of Central NY’s most horrific murders that happened 25 years ago
MBMPBJKFEBFHBI6ZQTB6T6DH2M.jpg

Carol M. Ryan, 42, was murdered in September 1996. Provided by Onondaga County Sheriff's Office
''Ryan was last seen alive on James Street in the Eastwood area.

The Onondaga County Sheriff’s Office is offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to the arrest or conviction of the person responsible for Ryan’s murder, Sgt. Jon Seeber, a sheriff’s office spokesman, said in a news release Thursday.

With the recent anniversary of her murder, detectives are hoping that the passage of time will mean that someone with information will finally be willing to come forward, Seeber said.''

''Deputies ask anyone with information to contact the Onondaga County Sheriff’s Office tips line by calling 315-435-3051 or by sending a tip to tip411.''

Omg, just when you think you've heard it all. Thank you to @Reasonable & Just for flagging this case up on another thread.

I agree with @CaseyLPC that this was an intensely personal crime. The explosive device might have had the effect of destroying evidence of a sexual assault, but until it was detonated that's all that would have been at stake, and the rate of success of sex crime prosecutions is low even where the victim files a report, so imo something so brutal and inhumane would not have been used for that reason alone. The ugly phrase "ruin you for other men" comes to mind. I think the perpetrator was someone who had been rejected, either by Carol or by someone else.

Now that I'm aware of Carol's case, I'll read up some more and come back to the thread. It's awful that there are so many victims whose cases never reach any kind of resolution.

Snippets from lengthy article.
September 1 2022 rbbm.
By Katrina Tulloch | ktulloch@syracuse.com

Carol Ryan was found near death on the OCCRA entrance of State Route 91 by the Jamesville Reservoir on September 1, 1996. She later died of horrific injuries. Her murder was never solved. (N. Scott Trimble | strimble@syracuse.com)

Carol Ryan was found near death on the OCCRA entrance of State Route 91 by the Jamesville Reservoir on Sept. 1, 1996. She later died of horrific injuries. Her murder was never solved. (File photo, drone shot by N. Scott Trimble | strimble@syracuse.com)

''When a fisherman found Carol Ryan naked and severely wounded on Sept. 1, 1996, he thought she had been shot.

She was hanging on to life in the driveway of the Onondaga County Resource Recovery Agency, across the street from the Jamesville Reservoir.''

She died five hours after she was found.

Carol, 42, had been fatally wounded in a horrific, unthinkable way: Someone had inserted an explosive device into her vagina and detonated it.''

''Carol spent her last night alive at the now-shuttered East Room bar in Eastwood. The building looks completely different today. It now houses Sinbad Restaurant, a Middle Eastern eatery.''

''Earlier that evening, she briefly visited Pro’s Grill, a small dive bar on Willow Street. It was torn down in 2007.

Witnesses saw Carol walking on James Street, alone, after the East Room closed at 2 a.m. She lived just down the road at Grant Village Apartments.

About four hours later, she was found fatally wounded near the OCCRA site off Route 91.''

''Witnesses remember seeing Carol wearing a silver shirt, black jeans, black boots, silver jewelry, and a black suede leather jacket with fringe on the front.

Two of her rings were left at the scene. Her clothes, shoes and silver pendant were never found.''

''Carol loved classic rock. Bob Seger, Black Sabbath and Lynyrd Skynyrd were some of her favorite performers.''

''Onondaga County District Attorney William Fitzpatrick believes Carol’s case could be solved using new advancements in DNA technology, or a using new detail provided by the public, something investigators may have overlooked.''

''Your information, no matter how small, could help solve this case.

If you have any details about this case, contact the Onondaga County Sheriff’s Office at 315-435-3051. To submit an anonymous tip to the Sheriff’s Office, text TIPONON and your tip to 847411.''

Going to suggest this case to othram, the perp who did this must surely have committed other atrocities and must be identified, imo,

Carol Ryan’s cold case: Horrific Syracuse murder remains unsolved 26 years later
''Onondaga County District Attorney William Fitzpatrick believes Carol’s case could be solved using new advancements in DNA technology, or a using new detail provided by the public, something investigators may have overlooked.

“My confidence is diminished by the sands of time, but my earnestness is not diminished at all,” Fitzpatrick told syracuse.com. “This is a case that just screams out for justice.”

Forensic DNA analysis in 1996 was in its infancy. Back then, a much larger amount of cellular material was needed to create a profile of a suspect. Today, even a tiny, molecular speck of DNA evidence could solve a case.

“It very well may be that there’s a piece of evidence that’s been preserved,” Fitzpatrick said. “And I’ve solved cases from the 1970s.”

rbbm
1670431801421.png
''As he pulled into the driveway off Route 91, he was shocked to see a middle-aged woman with a gaping wound on her buttocks. Her hair was matted with dried grass, as if she’d been dragged. Bruises covered her face and both eyes were swollen shut. He assumed she was dead, then was startled to see her move. She began moaning incoherently.''

'' Emergency room physicians at University Hospital in Syracuse determined that an explosive device with the strength of a quarter-stick of dynamite had been inserted into her vagina and detonated. Surgeons tried to save her, but she died on the operating table five hours later.''

''She had spent the evening at the East Room, a bar in Syracuse’s Eastwood neighborhood, and stayed until closing time. On her way out at 2:00 a.m., Ryan offered to buy breakfast for anyone in the bar. No one took her up on the offer, and she was last seen hitchhiking alone in the middle of James Street toward downtown Syracuse.

Four hours later, her broken body was spotted by the fisherman in Jamesville six miles away. Investigators said her killer had beaten her savagely, dumped her in the driveway, inserted the device, and detonated it before fleeing.''

''Ryan’s son says investigators have told him that DNA was recovered, but it is unclear if a suspect profile was ever compiled.''

Aug 15 2023
by: Christie Casciano, Dave Longley Aug 15, 2023 rbbm.
''SYRACUSE, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — Sunday morning, Sep. 1, 1996, 42-year-old Carol Ryan was found beaten, naked and dying in a driveway off Route 91 near the Jamesville Reservoir.

An explosive device had been used, leaving what the Onondaga County District Attorney Bill Fitzpatrick describes as a sadistic wound.''
Carol was technically still alive, although not feeling any pain, she was comatose and unconscious. It’s an especially evil, sadistic kind of person that would commit a crime like this. Because Carol wasn’t the type of person to hurt anybody. This was just pure evil.
BILL FITZPATRICK, ONONDAGA COUNTY DISTRICT ATTORNEY

''Was the killer someone Carol knew?​

According to Fitzpatrick, it was somewhere in between, not a total stranger, but someone investigators believe Carol Ryan encountered the night of her death.

A killer whose actions Fitzpatrick describes as sadistic and animalistic, something he’s never seen before. Was it someone who has killed before? Fitzpatrick says no, and the suspect is no longer in New York State.

Fitzpatrick said, “I’m not revealing anything to him. I’m not tipping him off, he knows he’s a suspect.”
And he’s lawyered up. So that means they can’t question him and without enough evidence, they can’t arrest him.''
And what would cause someone to kill so sadistically? FBI profilers have also been consulted on the case.

“They had frankly never seen anything like this. So I don’t know what it was that set him off, we periodically check on him,” said Fitzpatrick.''

Last edited:
Wow! Thank you for sharing this @dotr! I have never forgotten about poor Carol Ryan, to think she was treated that way, and no one has had to answer for it. It is a bit of a comfort to know that the suspect probably looks over his shoulder, and isn't allowed to forget what he allegedly did. I wonder who that affidavit came from....cellmate? Ex-wife? Accomplice?

I never got the sense that this was personal. It was so disgustingly impersonal in a way. I think some nasty, nasty bully had a sick fantasy to violently destroy a woman. He may have been a young man. He saw a woman who was vulnerable and lonely and picked her for his target.

I really hope that Carol's son gets to see some justice for his mother.

''Nov 9, 2023
A new true crime podcast from Syracuse.com will tell the story of one of Central New’s York’s most disturbing murders like it’s never been told before. “Firecracker” is a deep dive into a horrific 27-year-old crime. When police saw what was left of Carol Ryan’s body, dumped in the driveway of a suburban compost site in September of 1996, they wondered what weapon could cause that level of devastation. The truth was grislier than anyone imagined. The unsolved mystery of Carol’s murder has haunted Central New York for decades. Carol’s only son blames police. After hundreds of interviews, investigators couldn’t make any leads stick. Three cops believe they know the man who killed Carol. He’s still out there. But they haven’t been able to prove it. The lead detective calls it the greatest regret of his career. This six-part podcast from syracuse.com explores the death and life of Carol Ryan and the chilling effect her unsolved murder had on a community. Reporter Katrina Tulloch spent over a year digging into the case, interviewing 30 people including law enforcement, medical professionals, industry experts, witnesses and people who knew Carol. The podcast outlines how Carol spent the hours leading up to her murder, how first responders bungled the crime scene, the challenges police have faced in trying to find her killer, and how DNA technology could break open the case any day.''

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quincy_M.E.
Back