1092 users online (205 members and 887 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #40

Please continue here.

Thread 40

Salem
    Last edited by OkieGranny; 02-04-2017 at 06:20 PM. Reason: broken link

Thompson said she had been waiting for more than 150 days for justice that has finally come. "Someone took (Somer) away from me, her siblings, her family and the world," she said, during a news conference at Orange Park Baptist Church. "A monster. That's all this person is - a monster."

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/t...153884&catid=3
    Last edited by Dr.Fessel; 03-27-2010 at 09:39 PM.
    .............Any man's death diminishes me because I am
    involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;
    it tolls for thee. . . .
    from Meditation 17
    by John Donne

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Fessel View Post
    First.
    Second LOL, his next court date IIRC is April 12? Would that be to make a plea?

Quote Originally Posted by Dee10 View Post
    I would think so Dee.
    it tolls for thee. . . .
    from Meditation 17
    by John Donne

Well then, with the "a mountain of evidence, admissions" etc. plus didn't the sheriff say in so many words the house was the crime scene? It seems game over to me! Momma has left town from press reports; which was to be his alibi from the phone call we heard. Seems as if he knows the "jig" is up with whatever "admissions" he gave. I hope what ever they have, his lawyer is satisfied & there is a "guilty plea" as a result.
    Last edited by Dee10; 03-27-2010 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee10 View Post
    I think so. If he confessed and pleads guilty, does he still have to have a jury trial? That seems ridiculous to me. I think the judge could just hand down a sentence, and spare the state the expense of a trial and spare the families of the emotional pain of a trial, both Somer's family and his own. I see no need for a trial if he pleads guilty, but IDK - that's why I'm asking.

New1, ITA I am wondering too. I don't know how this works, do they ask for the death sentence, then you plead? Or does that come after, because we always hear about the appeals in those cases? IDK and am wondering too how it works.
    Last edited by Dee10; 03-27-2010 at 11:09 PM.

I googled the question " If a defendant pleads guilty does he have to have a trial?" and it was answered by an attorney in California who said he would not have to have a trial if the presiding judge accepted his plea. I don't know how accurate that is.

I have been searching too New1. No luck but have sure found some spooky cases and reading the appeals makes you sick.
    it tolls for thee. . . .
    from Meditation 17
    by John Donne

Here are some circumstances as to why a plea of 'guilty' would require a trial - some states will not let you plead guilty to a capital one case - I think nurse put up a couple links yesterday saying Florida was NOT one of those states. moo

~~snip~~

If my client had the intention of pleading guilty, it is misguided and misinformed as to Arkansas law," Ferguson said from Memphis, Tennessee, on Thursday. "He can't plead guilty to a capital crime."

Many/most/all? states have special rules regarding capital crimes (crimes which carry the death penalty.) Arkansas apparently has a special rule that says that a person cannot plead guilty to a capital crime and they must be tried.

When you allow a person to plead guilty to a crime that carries the death penalty, you are permitting a situation where a person may be coerced to plead guilty or may choose to plead guilty for the wrong reasons (for instance this person may be mentally ill, or doesn't understand his constitutional rights, or may have a death wish, or may wish to become a martyr.) This undermines our legal system. When the stakes are this high and a defendant is facing the loss of his life, the state has an obligation to give an individual a fair trial and prove that this person has actually committed the crime that he is charged with.

~~snip~~ let's hope the link works!

http://community.dooce.com/politics-...entencing-and-

Here is nursebeme's link and explanation form the last thread.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4980253&postcount=618"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Deceased FL- Somer Renee Thompson, Orange Park, Thread #40[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by New1 View Post
    I think so. If he confessed and pleads guilty, does he still have to have a jury trial? That seems ridiculous to me. I think the judge could just hand down a sentence, and spare the state the expense of a trial and spare the families of the emotional pain of a trial, both Somer's family and his own. I see no need for a trial if he pleads guilty, but IDK - that's why I'm asking.
    There should stay be a trial, with the confession used/or not used as evidence.

My statement in the previous thread was based on the posts here that his confession may have been a full/formal confession, and not a partial confession/admission of facts.

I was saying, like you... that if LE got him to the point in which he made a full formal confession, and they have his full cooperation, that they should skip the trial and go on to the sentencing hearing.

This is my opinion only, based on... stuff.

GROW...

My understanding of FL procedure is that death penalty cases have essentially two trials: one to determine guilt, and one to determine sentencing. To the best of my knowledge, a defendant can plead guilty to a capital crime in FL; there will still be a jury selected for the penalty phase. See the case described here:
    http://acquitter.com/case-results/gu...-penalty-case/

Quote Originally Posted by Lipin One View Post
    There should stay be a trial, with the confession used/or not used as evidence.

My statement in the previous thread was based on the posts here that his confession may have been a full/formal confession, and not a partial confession/admission of facts.

I was saying, like you... that if LE got him to the point in which he made a full formal confession, and they have his full cooperation, that they should skip the trial and go on to the sentencing hearing.

This is my opinion only, based on... stuff.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
    it tolls for thee. . . .
    from Meditation 17
    by John Donne

As soon as he is arrested, he is provided a public defender unless his parents are hiring private attorneys. There is no lawyer that would allow their client to plead guilty unless there was a great offer on the table such as life without parole instead of the death penalty. Because in the lawyers mind, at least its a shot to try and discredit the evidence. Even confessions are sometimes ruled not admissible for one reason or another. Sad but true how the legal system works. I am not a lawyer but work very closely with them and have seen what happens in Fl.

Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast