800 users online (134 members and 666 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Canada - Lachlan Cranswick, 41, Deep River near Ottawa ON, 18 Jan 2010 - #2

Please continue here.

Thread 1

Thank you,

Salem
    Last edited by KateB; 04-28-2015 at 09:04 AM. Reason: repair url tag.

deputydawg2: In response to your post #1008 quoted below:
    Quote Originally Posted by deputydawg2
    Reference my # 1006 (now in previous Thread) regarding the e-mails allegedly sent by LC on Monday, 18 Jan 2010.

Here is the link to the official website of (IUCr) Commission on Crystallographic Computing Discussion List: Index By Theme.

This site is owned by LC.

Threads are arranged in reverse order (most recent at top), but the messages within each thread are arranged by date.

At the link you will see that the last e-mail sent by LC according to this official record is the one
    Date: 18 Jan 2010 07:13:05 - - 0500

[I presume that would have been before work hours at Chalk River.]

There is NO listing here of an e-mail sent by lachlan.cranswick at nrc.gc.ca on Mon 18 Jan 2010 09:10:52 - 0500

I have as yet not seen any reference on this site to the pipermail. Unfortunately the IUCr site does use "mailman". I have read an online article which describes pipermail as somewhat of a "parasitic twin" to mailman.

At the link given, click the 'back' arrow and it will take you to the latest listings of communications by date of the discussion group. There you will see LC's 07:13:05 e-mail of Mon, 18 Jan 2010 listed immediately following the e-mail from Spek announcing that "Lachlan Cranswick Is Missing".

I would bow to hard evidence that proves LC actually sent any e-mails after that 7:13 a.m. transmission.
    respectfully underlined in blue by me because original was in italics.

dd2: I am no expert, but I see no reason to doubt that it was Lachlan who sent the 9:10 am e-mail. I'll eat my words if I'm proven wrong

Here is why: If you click on that UICr link, Lachlan's 9:10 am IS THERE! What happens is that particular e-mail is under another Theme group:
    CompComm: Madrid 2011 suggested computing Plenary speaker? (Lachlan Cranswick)
    * Dr.K.S.
    * h. p.
    * S., A.L.
    * H. P. (lol, every time I see his name I think of Harry Potter, and I mean no disrespect)
    * Cranswick, Lachlan - NRC
    * H. P.
    * H. P.
    * y.
    NOTE: One theme is Plenary speaker, another theme Keynote speaker

Also, if you Search by Date, that last e-mail IS THERE
    (look for: "CompComm: Madrid 2011 Plenary suggestion From: Cranswick, Lachlan - NRC (18/01/10)" )

Would this be hard evidence?
    Last edited by KateB; 04-28-2015 at 09:04 AM. Reason: repair url tag.
    My posts are merely my humble opinion. Unless you are quoting within Websleuths Forums, you do not have my permission to copy nor use any post made by me for anything.
    ★ Thank you ★

Changes

Hazel, in my postings # 1006 and #1008 on page 41 of the old-style thread, I based my statements on the IUCr site as it stood at 1:20 a.m. on 03/29/2010. Between that clocktime and 6:01 a.m. there had been many changes to the site.

Before those modifications the intro to the site stated that Lachlan Cranswick owned the site and listings. Poor Lachlan is now vanished, and as far as I am concerned, the integrity of his IUCr site as well.

I presented the situation as it was. It is each reader's privilege to interpret what they read as they see fit.

Quote Originally Posted by deputydawg2 View Post
    Hazel, in my postings # 1006 and #1008 on page 41 of the old-style thread, I based my statements on the IUCr site as it stood at 1:20 a.m. on 03/29/2010. Between that clocktime and 6:01 a.m. there had been many changes to the site.

Before those modifications the intro to the site stated that Lachlan Cranswick owned the site and listings. Poor Lachlan is now vanished, and as far as I am concerned, the integrity of his IUCr site as well.

I presented the situation as it was. It is each reader's privilege to interpret what they read as they see fit.
    I'm so confused! The "Intro" as well as the "Index by Date" and the "Index by Theme" pages still state it is owned by LC:
    compcomm is unmoderated, private and owned by Lachlan Cranswick
    Intro = http://www.iucr.org/__data/iucr/lists/compcomm-l/

Index by Date = http://www.iucr.org/__data/iucr/list.../maillist.html

Index by Thene = http://www.iucr.org/__data/iucr/list...m-l/index.html

will look around to try see what you mean, because I checked before and after your #1006 & #1008 posts (once we had established that the bottom times were LC's EST time), and his Jan. 18 - 9:10 am e-mail was there, and nothing looked different, IMHO.
    Last edited by Hazel; 03-29-2010 at 09:24 PM.
    My posts are merely my humble opinion. Unless you are quoting within Websleuths Forums, you do not have my permission to copy nor use any post made by me for anything.
    ★ Thank you ★

I'm wondering if Lachlan's family has arrived in DR and if LE has any new information for them.

Quote Originally Posted by maxfactor View Post
    I'm wondering if Lachlan's family has arrived in DR and if LE has any new information for them.
    No-one I have talked to knows whether they have arrived or not. I have not seen them. If LE has any new information, they are not making it public.

LC's house is completely empty now. I did hear that it was a rental rather than owned, so expect to see new tenant(s) in there soon.

Quote Originally Posted by safetytwin View Post
    No-one I have talked to knows whether they have arrived or not. I have not seen them. If LE has any new information, they are not making it public.

LC's house is completely empty now. I did hear that it was a rental rather than owned, so expect to see new tenant(s) in there soon.

respectfully BBM
    That is so sad, so final. I'm still hoping for a good ending though.

I have been unable to find Lachlan listed on any "missing" sites! I hope his family decides to post information regarding his disappearance wherever they can...If not, perhaps we could. Does the OPP list him as a missing person?

Quote Originally Posted by Pink Panther View Post
    I have been unable to find Lachlan listed on any "missing" sites! I hope his family decides to post information regarding his disappearance wherever they can...If not, perhaps we could. Does the OPP list him as a missing person?

OPP Missing Persons, Lachlan Cranswick = http://www.missing-u.ca/MPDetail.aspx?PersonID=847

FACEBOOK, Lachlan Cranswick - Aussie missing in Deep River, Canada
    His brother Noel has a few posts (mostly links) = http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=...d=347955388953
    ★ Thank you ★

The Arrow and The Song
    ----By Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
    I shot an arrow into the air,
    It fell to earth, I knew not where;
    For, so swiftly it flew, the sight
    Could not follow it in its flight.

I breathed a song into the air,
    It fell to earth, I knew not where;
    For who has sight so keen and strong,
    That it can follow the flight of song?

Long, long afterward, in an oak
    I found the arrow, still unbroke;
    And the song, from beginning to end,
    I found again in the heart of a friend.

}~~~~~~~~~~}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Lachlan shot his beams into things unspoken;
    And what they found remains unbroken.
    He wrote from his heart of all he found,
    Words lodged now in hearts world-round.

We never really knew you, Lachlan lad;
    But thousands now so wish we had,
    Safe Home, Good Man,
    from wherever you be,
    And thank you, Friend;
    you gifted us a rich legacy.

}~~~~~}}}

Reactor Repairs

Here's today's word on the reactor repairs:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/...-shortage.html

Thanks for that clever poem, deputydawg2 !

I thought it would be timely to post this again:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew..._name=&no_ads=

"AECL rival offers help in Chalk River shutdown

The Canadian Press

Date: Tuesday May. 26, 2009 8:37 AM ET

OTTAWA — Atomic Energy of Canada's chief rival to build a nuclear power plant in Ontario has offered to help the federal government through the shutdown of the Chalk River reactor.

France's Areva Group wrote to two Conservative cabinet ministers last week offering to help Canada find European reactors that can make the isotopes used in medical imaging.

Areva also told Natural Resources Minister Lisa Raitt and Health Minister Leona Aglukkaq its engineers can help AECL repair the 52-year-old nuclear reactor at Chalk River, Ont.

"Areva is ready to provide all the support that you will deem necessary to reduce the health impact of the current isotope shortage," wrote Armand Laferrere, president of Areva Canada.

"We will, as requested by you, facilitate contacts with European isotope producers. We are also ready to assist technically in the NRU repairs."

The reactor at Chalk River, Ont., was shut down May 15 after a power outage in parts of eastern Ontario and western Quebec.

A heavy water leak was detected within the facility and officials said it would be out of service for more than a month while repair options are considered.

Last week, an AECL executive said the shutdown could be a long one.

The Chalk River reactor supplies up to half of the world's supply of isotopes used to detect cancer and heart ailments.

AECL ran out of medical isotopes over the weekend and doctors are scrambling to hoard a scarce supply from the world's four other isotope-producing reactors.

Laferrere said there are other European research reactors that Areva could jury rig to make medical isotopes. But he added it could take "several weeks" to make the modifications.

The French firm made a similar offer to Ottawa in late 2007 when AECL's aging National Research Universal reactor was shut down for nearly a month, sparking a critical global shortage of medical isotopes.

A spokeswoman for Raitt said in an email the natural resources minister saw the letter Monday morning and is mulling Areva's offer.

"There will certainly be follow-up on their offer of assistance," Jasmine MacDonnell said.

Areva is bidding against Crown-owned AECL and the U.S. firm Westinghouse Electric Co., to build two nuclear reactors in Ontario.

Laferrere insisted the offer has nothing to do with the Ontario bid.

"Frankly, I'd like not to link the two stories," he said in an interview.

"The one is a competitive process and we're opposed to AECL. This one, it's not about competition, it's about doing whatever everyone can to mitigate a health crisis."

The province is expected to award the reactor contract this summer, though Ontario's energy minister, George Smitherman, has said the decision could be delayed."

BBM

Not to be confused with the ITER project, we have the Jules Horowitz reactor in Cadarache:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jules_Horowitz_Reactor

As we recall, Canada dropped out of the ITER project:

http://www.naka.jaea.go.jp/ITER/offi...text-Feb04.htm

Here's a bit of info on that prior to Canada's departure:

http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/publica...-NL-CTA-16.pdf
    Last edited by KateB; 04-28-2015 at 09:03 AM. Reason: repair url tag.

Quote Originally Posted by dotr View Post
    Thanks for that clever poem, deputydawg2 !
    Thank you, dotr, and all others who overlook the poetic weaknesses and recognize my intent. It is still so very hard to accept that this unthinkable thing has happened and goes unsolved.

Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast