1303 users online (258 members and 1045 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    deep in the countryside of northern Alabama

Two year old in critical condition after shot by police

I saw this briefly this morning on the today show, didn't see it posted anywhere.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/22973859/detail.html

snip~Toddler Shot By Police Aiming For Suspect
    Police Say Man Robbed Bank, Carjacked Woman's Car

POSTED: Saturday, March 27, 2010
    UPDATED: 7:20 pm EDT March 27,2010
    Baymeadows Road Shooting
    Suspect Killed, Boy, Woman Shot By Police
    JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A 2-year-old boy hit by police gunfire that killed a suspect fleeing a Baymeadow Road bank robbery remains in critical condition one day after emergency surgery.

Police said a masked man carrying a .357 revolver ran out of a Wachovia bank just after 3 p.m. Friday, across the street and forced his way into a car of a woman and two children in the drive-through lane of a Wendy's restaurant.~ end

more at link
    The depths of which we are able to love will be measured by the depths we are able to love ourselves....et

There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must NEVER be a time when we fail to protest. Elie Wiesel

Wow, his father is a pastor.

Video from dad at link.

http://www.news4jax.com/video/22976615/index.html

I hope this little boy makes it through!
    The depths of which we are able to love will be measured by the depths we are able to love ourselves....et

There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must NEVER be a time when we fail to protest. Elie Wiesel

Video with Sheriff

How sad, robbery suspect hopped in the car with the mom while she was going through a drive through and police shot into her car after the robbery suspect. Wow

Wow, that is so sad Why would the cops do that when there were others around? I would rather them let the frickin robber get away as long as he hadn't killed anyone.
    Happy New Years

Quote Originally Posted by elle1919 View Post

Video with Sheriff

How sad, robbery suspect hopped in the car with the mom while she was going through a drive through and police shot into her car after the robbery suspect. Wow
    These officers sound like they lost control of themselves. You don't shoot unless you have a clear, clean shot.....how awful to be so anxious to catch a robber that you will even chance shooting an innocent 2 year old. I'm thinking these cops never need to be out on the street again, because they betrayed the public trust to protect the innocent. 42 shots fired into a car which contained a baby, his mother and the bank robber. FIVE officers choosing to shoot into a car that contained innocent people. It's just crazy.
    Last edited by kgeaux; 03-31-2010 at 01:55 PM.

There better be some serious repercussions for their over reaction to the situation. Definitely a loss of control and not taking their training into the forefront of their minds. We all know better. LE should know even more so.

Prayers for the little guy. I hope he's able to pull through. This is definitely one of those times I completely support a lawsuit. That poor family. I can't imagine their terror and sorrow now having to deal with a precious two year old in critical condition.

Shame on those officers. Shame on them.

Why would the police shoot into the car with the carjacking victim and her children? I can not imagine this is actually a standard operating procedure for them.

AFAIK, it is against protocol everywhere to discharge a weapon to stop a suspect fleeing by car unless the car is being used as a weapon against the officer, or the suspect has given the officers reason to believe that imminent loss of life will occur.

Not a professional posting, but I did just finish Police Ethics, if that counts.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by not_my_kids View Post
    AFAIK, it is against protocol everywhere to discharge a weapon to stop a suspect fleeing by car unless the car is being used as a weapon against the officer, or the suspect has given the officers reason to believe that imminent loss of life will occur.

Not a professional posting, but I did just finish Police Ethics, if that counts.
    According to the sheriff in the OP article the suspect said "I am going to kill you" to either the woman or the police officer.
    I guess police will say that gave them a reason to believe in the imminent loss of life.
    I still don't get as to why they would fire so many shots into the car with a woman and children.

Was the carjacker in the passenger seat? Though, a bullet also went through the driver's side. That's a lot of bullets, considering there was an innocent woman and baby inside.

Prayers to this family.
    Last edited by daisy7; 03-31-2010 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daisy7 View Post

Was the carjacker in the passenger seat? Though, a bullet also went through the driver's side. That's a lot of bullets, considering there was an innocent woman and baby inside.

Prayers to this family.
    The OP article says carjacker got into the drivers seat.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/22999824/detail.html

Uncle: Mother Knocked Man's Gun Loose
    2-Year-Old Boy, Woman Shot By Police Pursuing Bank Robbery Suspect

POSTED: Tuesday, March 30, 2010
    UPDATED: 6:19 pm EDT March 30,2010

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The uncle of a 2-year-old boy shot by police on Friday is shedding some more light on what happened when the boy's mother was carjacked by a robbery suspect on Baymeadows Road.

Police said Joann Cooper was approached by robbery suspect Jeremiah Mathis as Cooper was in her car at a Wendy's drive-through with her son, Daniel Crichton, and 7-year-old girl Alexis Cooper.

"He approached the vehicle and had said to her he was going to kill her," said Gregory Bell, Cooper's brother, who lives in Jamaica. "At that point, (the man) got in the vehicle. She had some surprise after he got in the vehicle because he looked confused at that point. At that point, she took the opportunity to grab onto his hand and the (man's) gun fell."

In an effort to stop the bank robbery suspect, five officers fired a total of 42 shots into the car, hitting Daniel in the chest and arm and hitting Cooper in the foot. Mathis was killed by the gunfire.~ end snip

Yay for Momma! I am looking for an update on the toddler's condition.

Mom Shot By Police Released From Hospital 2-Year-Old Boy Hit By Officers' Gunfire Still In Critical Condition
    http://www.news4jax.com/news/23028643/detail.html
    "Please note - this is a message board, not a blog. Thank you"... Sincerely, Tricia Griffith and the Websleuths Family

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    According to the sheriff in the OP article the suspect said "I am going to kill you" to either the woman or the police officer.
    I guess police will say that gave them a reason to believe in the imminent loss of life.
    I still don't get as to why they would fire so many shots into the car with a woman and children.
    Really, if those cops thought this man was going to harm the woman and her son, they could have shot the tires, tried to puncture the radiator....there is so much they could have tried before aiming into the passenger compartment of a car that contained two innocent people and only one criminal. I don't think what the sheriff is claiming justifies the amount of force these officers used. Even if Daniel and his mom had NOT been shot, it would still have been an excessive amount of force.

What is going on with cops lately? Has the training they receive failed to prepare them for the situations they will face?

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    The OP article says carjacker got into the drivers seat.
    How odd. The most gun shot damage appears to be on the passenger side. Bad aim on the part of the cops.

jnTexas is offline Can't wait for softball and baseball to start :-)
    I'm thinking the cops had no idea the kids were in the car.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast