910 users online (158 members and 752 guests)  

Websleuths News

Canada - Sarah Leung charged in deaths of 2 newborns, Vancouver, 2009 & 2010

Good grief, doesn't this woman believe in the conventional way of birth control.

So they found a dead baby in her yard a year ago and did nothing? They are still investigating according to the story. Unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by DairyGirl View Post
    So they found a dead baby in her yard a year ago and did nothing? They are still investigating according to the story. Unbelievable.
    It says the autopsy on the remains found a year ago was inconclusive.
    Which just means she suffocated the child and claimed it was a stillborn.
    But there is little to nothing to charge these women with when they can't show that the death was intentionally caused verses a stillborn. Almost the only ones you see prosecuted are the ones that cause skull fractures in the process of killing them.

The charge of improper disposal of a corpse, or even abuse of a corpse (but if there is no mutilation that is a tough one too) has next to no penalty and the attorney will claim they were emotionally and hormonally overwhelmed with the trauma of the event.

I don't know what it is with women who do this repeatedly. There was that one chick in Texas that had three dead babies on the property. Same deal though, they couldn't determine how they had died.

Maybe someone in the science field will be able to come up with a way to determine the subtle differences between a stillborn and live birth that has been suffocated..... such a shame that we need that test.

Quote Originally Posted by impatientredhead View Post
    It says the autopsy on the remains found a year ago was inconclusive.
    Which just means she suffocated the child and claimed it was a stillborn.
    But there is little to nothing to charge these women with when they can't show that the death was intentionally caused verses a stillborn. Almost the only ones you see prosecuted are the ones that cause skull fractures in the process of killing them.

The charge of improper disposal of a corpse, or even abuse of a corpse (but if there is no mutilation that is a tough one too) has next to no penalty and the attorney will claim they were emotionally and hormonally overwhelmed with the trauma of the event.

I don't know what it is with women who do this repeatedly. There was that one chick in Texas that had three dead babies on the property. Same deal though, they couldn't determine how they had died.

Maybe someone in the science field will be able to come up with a way to determine the subtle differences between a stillborn and live birth that has been suffocated..... such a shame that we need that test.
    I thought I heard somewhere that they can tell if they child ever took a breath after they were born. If they were stillborn of course they would never have breathed. Not too sure about that though.

Quote Originally Posted by DairyGirl View Post
    I thought I heard somewhere that they can tell if they child ever took a breath after they were born. If they were stillborn of course they would never have breathed. Not too sure about that though.
    I think that is largely dependent on the amount of time that has lapsed. Right afterwards they would be able to tell if suffocation had occured, but once the soft tissue and eyes have decomposed or mummified (which is common in newborns that have not been fed due to the lack of bacteria in the digestive tract) I believe that data is lost.

So just how many infants will this woman be allowed to murder before they bag her?
    Forum: Jury Room
    Thread: Most interesting classic unsolved murder cases

This thread currently has over 350 cases with a brief synopsis of each and we are still adding additional cases.

You can access a spreadsheet that lists the cases in alphabetical order with the page & post number so that you can locate a particular case you may be interested in. It also contains links to any cases that already have a thread on WS.

Many cases do not have a thread. Please feel free to start one in the appropriate forum if you would like to look into one. Should you start a thread on one of these cases, please let me know so that I can add the link to the spreadsheet.

Here is the link for the spreadsheet in alphabetical order:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...hl=en_US#gid=0

Here is the link for the spreadsheet in country order:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...FBBcGVid0lmUHc
    =======================================

Forum: Jury Room
    Thread: Cold But Not Too Old Murder Case List

This is a listing of newer but still cold cases. As with the above thread we will be adding as we go along. Most of these cases will probably have threads. If you do start a new one, please let me know so I can add the link to the spreadsheets. The spreadsheets may be accessed from the links below.

Here is the link for the spreadsheet in alphabetical order:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...mlNV2lSQ1dDWHc

Here is the link for the spreadsheet in country order:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...FBIaHRnR1g0SEE

From October 2014:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...bies-1.2790354

Vancouver resident Sarah Leung has been sentenced to a total of five years in prison for killing her two babies.

Leung was sentenced in court in Vancouver on Tuesday to 18 months for killing one child and 42 months for killing the other, minus 50 days for time served...

During the trial in April the court heard Leung hid her two pregnancies, fearing the reaction of her father, who was described at trial as "abusive and controlling."