1135 users online (199 members and 936 guests)  

Websleuths News

Australia - Ballarat girl, 14, gave birth, dog killed newborn, 11 May 2003

FAMILY dog killed a teenager's baby after the girl gave birth in her backyard, an inquest heard today.

Despite suffering severe stomach pain for several days, the 14-year-old girl did not realise she was pregnant and did not know she was giving birth, the Victorian Coroner's Court heard.

The girl told police she felt the family dog pull something from between her legs as she lay in pain on the ground of her Ballarat backyard in the early hours of May 11 last year.

Detective Sergeant Stephen McIntyre said the Year 10 student said she was pinned beneath a shopping trolley full of car parts at the time, having knocked it over after going outside in distress.

The girl said she put an unidentified wet "item" in a disused fridge in the backyard when she cleaned up the car parts after freeing herself.

"(She) could not explain why she placed this one item into the fridge," Det Sgt McIntyre said.

"She maintains that she has no recollection of actually giving birth."

A search of the family home later that day found the body of the baby, posthumously named Caitlyn, in the fridge and a placenta wrapped in clothes in the girl's bedroom.

A post-mortem examination found the baby was born alive but died of about 25 injuries consistent with dog bites.

Det Sgt McIntyre said the girl's family and friends had no idea she had fallen pregnant after a month-long sexual relationship with a 15-year-old boy the previous year.

"She was quite a large girl to start with," he said.

Along with her 11-year-old brother, the girl was left unsupervised three nights a week while their father drove trucks interstate.

Det Sgt McIntyre said the girl's father refused to take her to hospital in the hours before the birth, twice telling her to go to sleep after finding her rocking on the floor in pain.

Despite his son telling him there was "blood everywhere" in the bathroom and backyard, the father only took his daughter to hospital when she "rambled on" after cleaning up the mess, he said.

"I would suggest that (the father's) supervision is totally inadequate," Det Sgt McIntyre said. Anne Tudor, a clinical psychologist at Ballarat Health Services, said she did not believe the girl was responsible for Caitlyn's death.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/com...5E1702,00.html

This does sound like a circumstance where she shouldn't be charged. I'm usually adamant that anyone who "kills" their newborns get charged with MURDER in the 1st.

I feel bad for this girl though.

What is up with the dog? How wierd is that? I never heard of a dog attack like that. To pull it out of her?!?

Like the guy on the Court TV promo says, "You can't make this stuff up." This has got to be one of the most bizarre, disturbing things I have ever heard.
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

GO STEELERS!

Quote Originally Posted by LaCoruna17
    What is up with the dog? How wierd is that? I never heard of a dog attack like that. To pull it out of her?!?
    The dog did not attack the baby. The dog smelled blood and saw something wriggling. That's what dogs do, sorry to say, attack bloody or wriggly things, especially wounded animals. Cats do it too. Not the animals fault it was just being a dog. The dog has no way of knowing it is a little human being. i.e. the Azaria Chamberlain case

Rest in peace little Caitlyn.
    I pray your mother gets the help she needs and some supervision.

Blessings, Lanie
    HelpForTheMissing@yahoo.com

those poor kids

I hope they charge the father in this case. I know teens are notorious for being difficult, but it looks like he was just totally ignoring these kids- both the son and the daugher. he did nothing after the son reports to him that there is blood everywhere? he reported it only after the girl had cleaned up the blood and was rambling? he refused to take her to the doctor even after she was in pain for several days? I hope both the girl and her brother get counseling and are placed where someone will actually care for them. no I don't think the 14 year old should be held responsibile for the death of her baby, but I do think that the father should be looked at. when he neglected the 14 yo it caused the death of her child.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight