1273 users online (238 members and 1035 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 46
  1. #1

    Friends & Family of Susan Cox Powell offer public an alternative to ground search

    Examiner.com article:

    Friends and family of Susan Cox Powell offer the public an alternative to ground searching (friends and family need response Wed., April 7)

    April 3, 2010 - (Slideshow) Volunteers from the public who planned to join together April 10 to comb the West Desert for clues into Susan Cox Powell's disappearance were informed Friday by search organizers that the search was closed to the public. Susan's friends and family have come up with an alternative plan, should they get enough interest... click here for complete article.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by izehnder View Post
    Examiner.com article:

    Friends and family of Susan Cox Powell offer the public an alternative to ground searching (friends and family need response Wed., April 7)

    April 3, 2010 - (Slideshow) Volunteers from the public who planned to join together April 10 to comb the West Desert for clues into Susan Cox Powell's disappearance were informed Friday by search organizers that the search was closed to the public. Susan's friends and family have come up with an alternative plan, should they get enough interest...
    Those flyers better include pictures of Josh of the van and its license plate number or this effort is a complete sham. They'd be better off placing flyers in convenience stores and gas stations around old mining towns in the mountains rather than WVC.

    I'd start with the closest towns to SLC on these lists for a start...
    http://www.chinfat.com/ghosttowns/index.html

    Also look at towns near clusters of abandoned mines on the lists that have been posted on WS before.

    I think some hiker or outdoorsman is going to stumble on the remains or evidence of mine entrance tampering before any organized search.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by RayO View Post
    Those flyers better include pictures of Josh of the van and its license plate number or this effort is a complete sham. They'd be better off placing flyers in convenience stores and gas stations around old mining towns in the mountains rather than WVC.

    I'd start with the closest towns to SLC on these lists for a start...
    http://www.chinfat.com/ghosttowns/index.html

    Also look at towns near clusters of abandoned mines on the lists that have been posted on WS before.

    I think some hiker or outdoorsman is going to stumble on the remains or evidence of mine entrance tampering before any organized search.
    RayO,

    Good idea about the fliers which I'll share with those involved. Thanks for the link to the list of towns.

    Do you, or does anyone else, remember where the information is about the abandoned mines on WS?

    Thanks again!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    774
    Going door-to-door to pass out fliers in the West Valley City, a pot-luck luncheon, and a time to gather together...GIVE ME A BREAK! This is so crazy...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    South Central Illinois
    Posts
    10,903
    Here is the flier that needs passed out now.

    .............Any man's death diminishes me because I am
    involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;
    it tolls for thee. . . .
    from Meditation 17
    by John Donne

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by izehnder View Post
    RayO,

    Good idea about the fliers which I'll share with those involved. Thanks for the link to the list of towns.

    Do you, or does anyone else, remember where the information is about the abandoned mines on WS?

    Thanks again!
    Thanks for passing-along the word as much as you can.

    Here are some useful URLs for old and abandoned mines, mining towns in Utah...

    http://history.utah.gov/mining_herit...miningmap.html

    http://www.trainweb.org/utahrails/mining/utmines.html

    http://www.mojaveunderground.com/wik...itle=Main_Page

    Just south of Tooele Co. is Juab Co., which seems to be especially rich in old mines, for example around the town of Eureka.
    Last edited by RayO; 04-04-2010 at 08:51 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    736
    It does seem like the best thing everyone can do is to go to their favorite hiking or camping spot and check it out. Many long-time residents would know of mine entrances in their area.

    If a huge number of people did that, they could at least eliminate a lot of spots quickly. In other words, the best search might be one not coordinated in one spot, but where everyone scatters to look at the spots they know.

    IIRC, Morgan Harrington's body was found by property owners walking their own land.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    between black and white
    Posts
    1,063
    Quote Originally Posted by dovebar View Post
    It does seem like the best thing everyone can do is to go to their favorite hiking or camping spot and check it out. Many long-time residents would know of mine entrances in their area.

    If a huge number of people did that, they could at least eliminate a lot of spots quickly. In other words, the best search might be one not coordinated in one spot, but where everyone scatters to look at the spots they know.

    IIRC, Morgan Harrington's body was found by property owners walking their own land.
    This more random approach makes a lot of sense to me. There is much less impact on the fragile soils.

    I wonder if someone could host a website were thumbtacks could be added to a map for places that have been checked, so that people would be encouraged to look at the ones less visited so they could add a tack.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ontario but a trucker so everywhere.
    Posts
    14,984
    What a big difference in LE. In Greely CO, LE is telling people what they can do to search.
    The cases are not the same, however their approach is excellent.

    http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...6/detail.html#

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    South Central Illinois
    Posts
    10,903
    Someone should write a book about this case. How not to find a body.
    .............Any man's death diminishes me because I am
    involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;
    it tolls for thee. . . .
    from Meditation 17
    by John Donne


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ontario but a trucker so everywhere.
    Posts
    14,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Fessel View Post
    Someone should write a book about this case. How not to find a body.
    So true, this case is so bizarre.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    11,088
    Quote Originally Posted by izehnder View Post
    Examiner.com article:

    Friends and family of Susan Cox Powell offer the public an alternative to ground searching (friends and family need response Wed., April 7)

    April 3, 2010 - (Slideshow) Volunteers from the public who planned to join together April 10 to comb the West Desert for clues into Susan Cox Powell's disappearance were informed Friday by search organizers that the search was closed to the public. Susan's friends and family have come up with an alternative plan, should they get enough interest... click here for complete article.
    Is this for real??
    IMO

  13. #13
    hollyblue's Avatar
    hollyblue is offline It may be the cock that crows, but it is the hen that lays the eggs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    9,113
    Quote Originally Posted by grayjay View Post
    This more random approach makes a lot of sense to me. There is much less impact on the fragile soils.

    I wonder if someone could host a website were thumbtacks could be added to a map for places that have been checked, so that people would be encouraged to look at the ones less visited so they could add a tack.
    Great idea grayjay, but what happens if Josh (or perp) would notify the people and tell them he had check X area/mine(s) so they tack it...and she was there? Just sayin...

  14. #14
    hollyblue's Avatar
    hollyblue is offline It may be the cock that crows, but it is the hen that lays the eggs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    9,113
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyRed View Post
    What a big difference in LE. In Greely CO, LE is telling people what they can do to search.
    The cases are not the same, however their approach is excellent.

    http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...6/detail.html#
    I read about her case in my Sunday paper today...how heartbreaking and disgusting...we have another child missing. What in the world are parents to do now days? Beside GPS under the kids skin or not letting them have any freedom at all....just tell them to run and scream like H?

    This is an excellent article on how to handle a non-orgainized search. I'm bookmarking it. Kudos to Weld County Sheriff in Colorado.

    Hope Isabelle can get this info to someone on Susan's case and get it out to the public! Isabelle----can you do this?


    ETA: I'd much rather see the flyers with the basic info about Susan with the information listed HOW
    people can help in the search by the methods listed by the Sheriff's Dept in Co. Give people a list and let them search in their city, town, county and highways/roads that week-end instead of a munchie get together. People need to be out looking for her--not sharing gardenig tips. I don't understand this thinking...sorry. People in WVC know about Susan missing. What good are these flyers going to do there...get more info to the public of what and how to search.
    Last edited by hollyblue; 04-05-2010 at 07:55 AM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    between black and white
    Posts
    1,063
    Quote Originally Posted by hollyblue View Post
    Great idea grayjay, but what happens if Josh (or perp) would notify the people and tell them he had check X area/mine(s) so they tack it...and she was there? Just sayin...
    I thought about this a lot and it could happen. A lot of times, someone is found in a place they checked before. That doesn't mean the search is pointless. We still might be able to come up with something that could work.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Results are in on charred wood found during Susan Powell search
    By Jacie Estes in forum Susan Cox Powell
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-05-2012, 10:08 PM
  2. Messages to the Cox Family and Susan's Friends
    By Tricia in forum Susan Cox Powell
    Replies: 158
    Last Post: 02-16-2012, 06:00 PM
  3. Ground search efforts for Susan Cox Powell
    By izehnder in forum Susan Cox Powell
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-26-2010, 08:40 AM
  4. Replies: 71
    Last Post: 04-03-2010, 04:48 PM