1349 users online (263 members and 1086 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The Somer Foundation

We are going to fly with some disucssion on this and see how it go. However,if it gets too invasive the thread will be closed.
    Thanks!

Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    We had a link to some info for the foundation in the last thread, but it appears that link no longer works...I printed the info when we first found it and have it but I don't know if I can post about the information without a link?

ETA: It's a legal document and I could scan it but I can not provide a link.
    Last edited by Kimberlyd125; 04-04-2010 at 08:26 PM.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5002610&postcount=325"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - FL- Somer Renee Thompson, Orange Park, Thread #41[/ame]

This is the link to my post when Noway first found the info on the foundation.

I thought this thread should at least give the purpose of the foundation...

The purpose of the non-profit corporation is to provide grants to individuals and/or families who have experienced violent trauma to a family member similar to the Somer Thompson case. To operate exclusively for charitable purposes within the meaning of section 501(c)3 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, or corresponding section of any future tax code and generally to engage in any other lawful endeavor or activity in furtherance of any of the foregoing purposes.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberlyd125 View Post
    We had a link to some info for the foundation in the last thread, but it appears that link no longer works...I printed the info when we first found it and have it but I don't know if I can post about the information without a link?

ETA: It's a legal document and I could scan it but I can not provide a link.
    If you're willing to scan and upload and link to the legal doc, the legal doc should stand on its own even without the original link. You could include a link back to the original post and note that's where you got the doc if you'd like to tie it together.

Somer Thompson Foundation

http://sunbiz.org/pdf/70899844.pdf

Florida Department of State
    Division of Corporations

Thanks to AmandaReckonWith ...

Thanks Noway!
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

The Somer Thompson Foundation Website

http://somerthompsonfoundation.com/somerthompson.html

~snipped~

Diena Thompson found herself living every parents worst nightmare when her 7 year old daughter went missing on October 19, 2009. Two days later, in a Georgia landfill, Somers body was discovered. The community felt an immediate call to action. Fundraiser were coordinated to aid Diena and her family which now has lead to the start of

THE SOMER THOMPSON FOUNDATION

A non-profit Foundation to help victims families of child abduction resulting in death and bring education and financial aide during that critical time when help is needed so desperately. The Somer Thompson Foundation will award grants to victims families that we saw first hand in the basic needs to sustain daily life while fighting with the tragedy that is second by second. Our goal is to provide a home where victims can be helped financially, emotionally and have resources for education to understand that life will never be the same again and give some hope in the darkest days.
    Last edited by Noway; 04-05-2010 at 07:57 PM.

When I clicked on the Donation button, I got a PayPal account for Melody Crafter Music, Inc., with Purpose: The Somer Thompson Foundation.

The address for Melody Crafter Music is the same as for Bobby Ingram, so that makes sense. I just expected to see The Somer Thompson Foundation, so it surprised me. I Googled it.
    Last edited by Noway; 04-05-2010 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noway View Post
    http://somerthompsonfoundation.com/somerthompson.html

~snipped~

Diena Thompson found herself living every parents worst nightmare when her 7 year old daughter went missing on October 19, 2009. Two days later, in a Georgia landfill, Somers body was discovered. The community felt an immediate call to action. Fundraiser were coordinated to aid Diena and her family which now has lead to the start of

THE SOMER THOMPSON FOUNDATION

A non-profit Foundation to help victims families of child abduction resulting in death and bring education and financial aide during that critical time when help is needed so desperately. The Somer Thompson Foundation will award grants to victims families that we saw first hand in the basic needs to sustain daily life while fighting with the tragedy that is second by second. Our goal is to provide a home where victims can be helped financially, emotionally and have resources for education to understand that life will never be the same again and give some hope in the darkest days.
    Who are the victims' families they (The Somer Thompson Foundation) saw first hand during the tragedy?

New, I think this is poorly worded. JMO I think what they meant to describe was how Diena was trying to deal with Somer being missing/murdered while at the same time, she had to pay bills while not working.

I think it could be clearer... something like: The Somer Thompson Foundation will award grants to victims' families so the family can focus on their child's death without also worrying about meeting their family's basic needs.

(I proofread/edited in my former life. It's a hard habit to break.)

LOL ... I edited my edit of the text. The Foundation is helping "victims' families of child abduction resulting in death" as noted above. I'm not happy with this edit either but I think the sentence they had needs to be broken up ... two separate thoughts.
    Last edited by Noway; 04-06-2010 at 01:35 PM.

When I clicked on the Donation button, I got a PayPal account for Melody Crafter Music, Inc., with Purpose: The Somer Thompson Foundation.

The address for Melody Crafter Music is the same as for Bobby Ingram, so that makes sense. I just expected to see The Somer Thompson Foundation, so it surprised me. I Googled it.
    I take this back. It makes no sense to me. I checked other 501(c)(3) organizations and the money is going directly to the charitable organization, no middleman is listed.

Why would the money go through a company owned by a board member, even if that money is earmarked for the charitable organization?

I don't quite understand it all. Maybe it is normal.
    Last edited by Noway; 04-06-2010 at 02:43 PM.

I don't understand it either Noway, but I don't believe it is normally done this way...at least from my experience.

I noticed that when I clicked on the song download. I thought Ingram was taking royalties for the song. (You can't download it for free... have to make a donation).

I didn't realize it was the same PayPal account to donate to the foundation.

A number of things about the Somer Thompson Foundation don't sit right with me.

I don't see anything wrong with the foundation. They are all good people and there is no reason to believe they will not do what they say.
    .............Any man's death diminishes me because I am
    involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;
    it tolls for thee. . . .
    from Meditation 17
    by John Donne

My big question was why is Bobby Ingram's company (a for profit company) involved with the financial aspect of a nonprofit organization.

I think it must be legal since the Foundation was granted 501(c)(3) status and that would have been part of what was investigated. I hope anyway.

ETA
    I cannot find that this is a problem. I can only find that if a Foundation collects money while they are starting up, it is usually another foundation holding the money. Since the Foundation is established, I can only assume that a company holding the money is okay.
    Last edited by Noway; 04-07-2010 at 12:06 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast