The Somer Foundation

JBean

Retired WS Administrator
Reaction score
We are going to fly with some disucssion on this and see how it go. However,if it gets too invasive the thread will be closed.
Thanks!

We had a link to some info for the foundation in the last thread, but it appears that link no longer works...I printed the info when we first found it and have it but I don't know if I can post about the information without a link?

ETA: It's a legal document and I could scan it but I can not provide a link.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5002610&postcount=325"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - FL- Somer Renee Thompson, Orange Park, Thread #41[/ame]

This is the link to my post when Noway first found the info on the foundation.

I thought this thread should at least give the purpose of the foundation...

The purpose of the non-profit corporation is to provide grants to individuals and/or families who have experienced violent trauma to a family member similar to the Somer Thompson case. To operate exclusively for charitable purposes within the meaning of section 501(c)3 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, or corresponding section of any future tax code and generally to engage in any other lawful endeavor or activity in furtherance of any of the foregoing purposes.

We had a link to some info for the foundation in the last thread, but it appears that link no longer works...I printed the info when we first found it and have it but I don't know if I can post about the information without a link?

ETA: It's a legal document and I could scan it but I can not provide a link.

If you're willing to scan and upload and link to the legal doc, the legal doc should stand on its own even without the original link. You could include a link back to the original post and note that's where you got the doc if you'd like to tie it together.

http://sunbiz.org/pdf/70899844.pdf

Florida Department of State
Division of Corporations

Thanks to AmandaReckonWith ...

stfInc1.jpg

stfInc2.jpg

stfInc3.jpg

stfInc4.jpg

stfInc5.jpg

http://somerthompsonfoundation.com/somerthompson.html

~snipped~

[FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif]Diena Thompson found herself living every parents worst nightmare when her 7 year old daughter went missing on October 19, 2009. Two days later, in a Georgia landfill, Somers body was discovered. The community felt an immediate call to action. Fundraiser were coordinated to aid Diena and her family which now has lead to the start of

THE SOMER THOMPSON FOUNDATION

A non-profit Foundation to help victims families of child abduction resulting in death and bring education and financial aide during that critical time when help is needed so desperately. The Somer Thompson Foundation will award grants to victims families that we saw first hand in the basic needs to sustain daily life while fighting with the tragedy that is second by second. Our goal is to provide a home where victims can be helped financially, emotionally and have resources for education to understand that life will never be the same again and give some hope in the darkest days.
[/FONT]

When I clicked on the Donation button, I got a PayPal account for Melody Crafter Music, Inc., with Purpose: The Somer Thompson Foundation.

The address for Melody Crafter Music is the same as for Bobby Ingram, so that makes sense. I just expected to see The Somer Thompson Foundation, so it surprised me. I Googled it.

http://somerthompsonfoundation.com/somerthompson.html

~snipped~

[FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif]Diena Thompson found herself living every parents worst nightmare when her 7 year old daughter went missing on October 19, 2009. Two days later, in a Georgia landfill, Somers body was discovered. The community felt an immediate call to action. Fundraiser were coordinated to aid Diena and her family which now has lead to the start of

THE SOMER THOMPSON FOUNDATION

A non-profit Foundation to help victims families of child abduction resulting in death and bring education and financial aide during that critical time when help is needed so desperately. The Somer Thompson Foundation will award grants to victims families that we saw first hand in the basic needs to sustain daily life while fighting with the tragedy that is second by second. Our goal is to provide a home where victims can be helped financially, emotionally and have resources for education to understand that life will never be the same again and give some hope in the darkest days.
[/FONT]

Who are the victims' families they (The Somer Thompson Foundation) saw first hand during the tragedy?

New, I think this is poorly worded. JMO I think what they meant to describe was how Diena was trying to deal with Somer being missing/murdered while at the same time, she had to pay bills while not working.

I think it could be clearer... something like: The Somer Thompson Foundation will award grants to victims' families so the family can focus on their child's death without also worrying about meeting their family's basic needs.

(I proofread/edited in my former life. It's a hard habit to break.)

LOL ... I edited my edit of the text. The Foundation is helping "victims' families of child abduction resulting in death" as noted above. I'm not happy with this edit either but I think the sentence they had needs to be broken up ... two separate thoughts.

When I clicked on the Donation button, I got a PayPal account for Melody Crafter Music, Inc., with Purpose: The Somer Thompson Foundation.

The address for Melody Crafter Music is the same as for Bobby Ingram, so that makes sense. I just expected to see The Somer Thompson Foundation, so it surprised me. I Googled it.

I take this back. It makes no sense to me. I checked other 501(c)(3) organizations and the money is going directly to the charitable organization, no middleman is listed.

Why would the money go through a company owned by a board member, even if that money is earmarked for the charitable organization?

I don't quite understand it all. Maybe it is normal.

I don't understand it either Noway, but I don't believe it is normally done this way...at least from my experience.

I noticed that when I clicked on the song download. I thought Ingram was taking royalties for the song. (You can't download it for free... have to make a donation).

I didn't realize it was the same PayPal account to donate to the foundation.

A number of things about the Somer Thompson Foundation don't sit right with me.

I don't see anything wrong with the foundation. They are all good people and there is no reason to believe they will not do what they say.

My big question was why is Bobby Ingram's company (a for profit company) involved with the financial aspect of a nonprofit organization.

I think it must be legal since the Foundation was granted 501(c)(3) status and that would have been part of what was investigated. I hope anyway.

ETA
I cannot find that this is a problem. I can only find that if a Foundation collects money while they are starting up, it is usually another foundation holding the money. Since the Foundation is established, I can only assume that a company holding the money is okay.

https://www.paypal.com/nonprofit

More than 100,000 nonprofit organizations use PayPal to raise money online – and it’s easy to see why. PayPal helps nonprofits:
Discounted fees for nonprofits with 501 (c)(3) status

More than $100,000 in monthly volume: 1.9% + $.30 per transaction
Less than $100,000 in monthly volume: 2.2% + $.30 per transaction

https://www.paypal.com/nonprofit

Does this mean that the family of Kayleah cannot be helped?

Does this mean that the family of Kayleah cannot be helped?

If you mean Kayleah Wilson, then I don't think this Foundation can help her. I do not think she has been found dead, has she?

From above: [FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif]A non-profit Foundation to help victims families of child abduction resulting in death...[/FONT]

If you mean Kayleah Wilson, then I don't think this Foundation can help her. I do not think she has been found dead, has she?

From above: [FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif]A non-profit Foundation to help victims families of child abduction resulting in death...[/FONT]

No, she hasn't been found dead yet, that I know of. So many children are never found. I hope there is something that out there that can help parents like Kayleah's.

Human, I think there is a thread on WS with information for families of missing. There are organizations who can help families like Kayleah's.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21"]Missing Persons Information and Support - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=179"]List of National Databases and Resources - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

I also know of others outside of WS, but am not sure I can mention them or not.

I know my friend who helps the missing requires that a family member contact her ... I could not contact her and ask her to get involved with Kayleah's case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pinkfloyd44!
Back