Found Deceased VA - Morgan Dana Harrington, 20, Charlottesville, 17 Oct 2009 - #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is what bothers me : I feel strongly that a predator killer is out there

I feel strongly that this was NOT "particular" to Morgan...I think she was simply an available victim to this creep

I don't see any evidence that this was aimed or targeted at her in particular

which in many ways is MORE scary...crimes of passion/intimacy/where killer and victim know each other are more common ...but in the long run safer for the "public"..

a husband who kills his wife for instance is not likely to go out and try to kill other women, it was "personal" between them

I really feel this was NOT personal but just a matter of being there at the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong creep

and the scary thing is that this creep is OUT there

I hope that young women in Virginia etc are taking a LOT of precautions

Thank you, from your link it states

In recent years, Virginia’s Blue Ridge Mountains have suffered a spate of horrific incidents. In 1996, two young women were killed at their campsite near Skyline Drive in a still-unsolved killing. More recently, 22-year-old UVA graduate student Lizzy Hafter was slain at the nearby Greenstone Overlook in a senseless-but-solved 2008 property crime. And just this past August, two Virginia Tech students were inexplicably murdered at a Jefferson National Forest campground.

Five days before this Parkway shooting, the Washington Post published a story noting that the so-called Colonial Parkway murders from the late 1980s are getting a reexamination by investigators. Authorities have not publicly drawn any connections between these cases, or the sensational Morgan Harrington murder and Route 29 Stalker cases, but for lovers of the great outdoors, an arrest can’t come too soon.

Controversial church group protests in Blacksburg
April 9, 2010
<snipped>
A controversial church group plans to be in Blacksburg Friday to picket Virginia Tech, and a counter demonstration will move onto campus. Members of Westboro Baptist Church claim God cursed Tech and sent the shooter on April 16th, 2007. The group informed the town they'll be at three locations: outside the Jewish Community Center, along Main Street and in front of Blacksburg Middle School. A positive counter demonstration is set for noon at the Graduate Life Center Plaza.

News7's Justin McLeod has learned Morgan Harrington's father plans to be there Friday. The family has heard Westboro Baptist Church plans to be there because of Morgan Harrington's death.

Her father told News7 by phone Thursday he has seen posters on the group's website involving his daughter that he finds appalling and disturbing. Harrington's family can't believe Westboro Baptist Church plans to make Morgan the focus of its protests.

"Very upsetting to a family that lost their daughter to murder five and half weeks ago. They plan to be at Virginia Tech tomorrow to protest a number of things including the fact Morgan Harrington's death was deserved, and again, how would any family feel when you hear those kinds of comments made?," said Dan Harrington. He plans to be at the counter protests on campus Friday, but he doesn't plan on engaging the group.

He finds it appalling the group plans to suggest the Virginia Tech student was responsible for her own death. :furious:

"Clearly they are wanting publicity. On the other hand, I'm trying to maintain dignity for my daughter and have my daughter remembered for what she was," says Harrington.

Video: Morgan Harrington's father reacts to controversial group's protest (04/08)
2:17

http://www.wdbj7.com/global/Categor...default&clipId=4689057&flvUri=&partnerclipid=

Video: Morgan Harrington's father speaks out about planned WBC protest (04/08)
2:09

http://www.wdbj7.com/global/Categor...default&clipId=4688155&flvUri=&partnerclipid=

Article:
http://www.wdbj7.com/Global/story.asp?S=12279783
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Westboro Baptist Church protests stir strong emotions
April 9, 2010; 3:56 PM
<snipped>
Lanes of honking traffic and a handful of police officers divided an angry church and rowdy crowd in Blacksburg Friday. Westboro Baptist Church members staged three protests Friday, targeting the Jewish and gay communities and the death of Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington.

Protesters
The WBC protest was directed at the community for causing the death of Morgan Harrington by tolerating various groups the church interprets as sinful. Shirley Phelps-Roper, eldest daughter of the church founder Fred Phelps, led the six protesters. The group consisted of three adults and three children.

The group was armed with signs bearing slogans such as &#8220;The Jews killed Jesus,&#8221; &#8220;*advertiser censored* Hokies,&#8221; and &#8220;God is your Enemy.&#8221; :furious:

Phelps-Roper hailed the protest as a successful endeavor. &#8220;It&#8217;s a ten,&#8221; Phelps said, before quickly correcting herself. &#8220;Out of ten, it&#8217;s a twelve.&#8221;

Counter-protesters
&#8220;Positive energy, people!&#8221; said Blacksburg vice mayor and Tech professor Susan Anderson as she implored community counter-protesters to remain calm. About 150 counter-protesters followed the WBC protesters from Blacksburg&#8217;s downtown area to their stop in front of Blacksburg Middle School.

Ryan Selph, Lake Carter and Ryan Bolling called themselves the &#8220;party boy protesters.&#8220;You&#8217;ve got to fight stupid with stupid,&#8221; Selph said. &#8220;These people aren&#8217;t rational. There&#8217;s no point in getting mad at it. We&#8217;ve got to stand up for each other.&#8221;

An unofficial student counter-protest drew about 200 students to the GLC Plaza. Dan Harrington, Morgan Harrington's father, was also in attendance. His wife, Gil Harrington, is currently in Zambia on a medical volunteer mission.

"I applaud the students and administration for doing a peaceful rally," Dan Harrington said. "Why are they here? Why would they target my daughter? Why villify her? She was murdered."

Harrington marched down College Avenue along with student supporters. Standing on the street corner under a sign that read, "God and VT love Morgan Harrington," he raised his voice along with Tech students chanting the name of his daughter at the WBC members across the street.

Authorities&#8217; response
Protesters filled Blacksburg Friday, but they were separated and organized by the local authorities that also lined the streets. Kimberly Crannis, Blacksburg chief of police, said the protests took a great deal of planning.

*Much more at link!

Article:
http://www.collegiatetimes.com/stories/15356/westboro-baptist-church-protests-stir-strong-emotions
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
April 9, 2010
<snipped>
A handful of members from the Westboro Baptist Church showed up as planned in Blacksburg Friday afternoon. Members claim they came to preach what they call "God's message," holding signs like "You're going to hell."

Meantime, sidewalks were packed with people holding a counter rally. The group formed by Virginia Tech students was set to hold a positive counter rally at the Graduate Life Center. However, at the last minute they decided not to be officially involved with the university and took to Main Street on their own.

The church members claim Virginia Tech has been "God smacked," saying God purposely caused the April 16th tragedy and other events, like the murder of Morgan Harrington.
:furious:

Article:
http://www.wdbj7.com/Global/story.asp?S=12285870

:angel:

Terribly discouraging to hear about groups like this...they add nothing of positive value to the world -- only spread hate and unkindness.........

sick, sick freaks...IMO
I think people need to keep their religious beliefs private and not picket and try to recruit...if they really believe in something they would not need to act this way...they are more likely trying to convince themselves...

I would really appreciate seeing the WBC protesters being committed to a psychiatric hospital for a 72 hour hold and evaluation...how interesting would their reports be!

They must know that they are beneath contempt.

April 9, 2010

It really ticks me off that the local media are giving them air time and copy space. And I really wish there hadn't been a "counter-protest".

These nutjobs thrive on attention. Without it they wither away.

If the WBC comes to protest near you, try this. Start a Thon. Like An Anti Hate-a-thon. Name it as you will, proceeds to a group the WBC hates. Get people to join and sign up donations for so much for every hour, every half hour, etc. that the WBC protest goes on. Like all donation then go to PFLAG or another Gay Organization. This turns their protest into something that actually does good for a cause. Just an idea.

If the WBC comes to protest near you, try this. Start a Thon. Like An Anti Hate-a-thon. Name it as you will, proceeds to a group the WBC hates. Get people to join and sign up donations for so much for every hour, every half hour, etc. that the WBC protest goes on. Like all donation then go to PFLAG or another Gay Organization. This turns their protest into something that actually does good for a cause. Just an idea.

:)

Somewhere far removed from where the WBC idiots are, and no mention made of them.

That's brilliant, I love it!

Thank goodness! They changed their rules...

You would have thought common sense would have told the JPJ personnel when Morgan was in need of help; to have helped Morgan then!

:twocents: Hopefully, a lifeguard will still attempt to save someone who is drowning, even if they’re not wearing a safety jacket and there are signs posted that state you have to wear a safety jacket. Good grief…

You would have thought common sense would have told the JPJ personnel when Morgan was in need of help; to have helped Morgan then!

:twocents: Hopefully, a lifeguard will still attempt to save someone who is drowning, even if they’re not wearing a safety jacket and there are signs posted that state you have to wear a safety jacket. Good grief…

OMG That is a great post. Just alittle common sense could have saved Morgans life. Sometimes an employee has to just break the rules because it is the right thing to do. You don't leave a girl outside by herself. They could have at least let her sit inside the entrance until the concert was over. IMO

These WBC sickos have picketed funerals for soldiers who have died in Iraq and Afghanistan.
(Signs reading Thank God for Dead Soldiers)

You are correct; the smart thing would be to just ignore them, but I guess I am not very smart; if I witnessed this, I'm not sure I would be able to just walk away.

Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_Baptist_Church

Great post Arielilane! ITA!

OMG That is a great post. Just alittle common sense could have saved Morgans life. Sometimes an employee has to just break the rules because it is the right thing to do. You don't leave a girl outside by herself. They could have at least let her sit inside the entrance until the concert was over. IMO

That's exactly it - common sense...and yes sometimes the rules just have to be broken. She could have been made to sit in/near the box office or stand beside a security guard - or could have been taken to the JPJ manager's office...she did not need to be left outside - not her or anyone else for that matter.

:)

Somewhere far removed from where the WBC idiots are, and no mention made of them.

Nah, I would make sure they knew. The longer they are there, the more money they are making for the cause. LOL If this happened enough, or every time they show up anywhere, they might just start keeping their a$$e$ in Kansas. I am so sorry Topeka has to live with these idiots, and that is way too mild a word for them.

Article about Morgan in the May 2010 issue of Cosmopolitan magazine

I for one never feel that knee jerk "changes" like that at JPJ arena accomplish much

No one else that we know of came to harm over that (not unusual) rule

the new "rule" is very unclear : "distress"....???

feel good measures cover up the fact that there is a murderer out there who could kill again...next time the woman he kills probably won't be trying to get back into the arena

how about a rule that cell phone batteries don't fall out?? It seems to me that was as much a cause of Morgan's predicament as the arena

I am sorry to be so pessimistic but I see so many times that feel good measures are put in place to cover the fact that nothing real is being done.

Seems to me that for the population and size of Virginia they have a lot of unsolved murders and indications of serial killer/s out there....not to mention that Morgan's killer is out there

what if next time he kills a woman who stopped at a restaurant that was closed....what then?? pass a new law to make all restaurants stay open 24 hours?? Pass a law that no business can go bankrupt and close for good?? I am sorry but stuff like this makes me say hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member