IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 #26

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a good article about fake ID cards--how the bars spot them and the added danger of obtaining one online. (Thickstun investigated Kilroy's for serving Lauren.)

Those of you who are parents of college-age children may want to know this and pass it on to your kids.

http://www2.wishtv.com/dpp/news/i_team_8/more-teens-busted-for-fake-ids

"You're giving someone you don't know on the other side of a computer screen a lot of personal data about you,” said Cpl. Travis Thickstun of the Indiana Excise Police. “And you can't control what they're going to use that for."

Swanson added: “Are you going to find out two years from now that there's a boat in your name that you never signed for, or credit cards in your name you never applied for? It goes far beyond just going to get a beer or a drink or going to a club.”

The IU student directory shows ZO as enrolled at IUB.

You're right. I looked up ZO in the public access legal case system for Monroe County and his middle initial is R. He's been on good behavior since his disorderly conduct and alcohol consumption misdemeanor at Briscoe back in 2009.

I think CR does have something to hide but what I don't know. The adult population on campus who know him are highly suspect. This is in contrast to JR whose sketchiness (for me anyway) was as a result of comments by JW's roommate on Phish board. I can believe, however, that JR would put himself into a compromising position to help cover CR's arse, if JR had nothing to do with it that is.
rbbm

That's interesting information, Jupiter. So if the campus buzz says CR is "suspect", and many of us feel that CR is guilty, then experience tells me that in all likelihood he bears responsibility for Lauren's disappearance. I hope LE is keeping him on the radar.

I think CR does have something to hide but what I don't know. The adult population on campus who know him are highly suspect. This is in contrast to JR whose sketchiness (for me anyway) was as a result of comments by JW's roommate on Phish board. I can believe, however, that JR would put himself into a compromising position to help cover CR's arse, if JR had nothing to do with it that is.

Please clarify:
There are adults on campus who know CR.
These adults are highly suspect individuals OR
These adults consider CR to be highly suspect.

Also, you are correct that it is ZRO whose father has been ill and who is friends with AB. As far as I know, ZMO has nothing to do with the case.

This is a good article about fake ID cards--how the bars spot them and the added danger of obtaining one online. (Thickstun investigated Kilroy's for serving Lauren.)

Those of you who are parents of college-age children may want to know this and pass it on to your kids.

http://www2.wishtv.com/dpp/news/i_team_8/more-teens-busted-for-fake-ids

"You're giving someone you don't know on the other side of a computer screen a lot of personal data about you,” said Cpl. Travis Thickstun of the Indiana Excise Police. “And you can't control what they're going to use that for."

Swanson added: “Are you going to find out two years from now that there's a boat in your name that you never signed for, or credit cards in your name you never applied for? It goes far beyond just going to get a beer or a drink or going to a club.”

I appreciate you passing this info on, Jupiter. I'll do the same. My son recently posted on FB about how Apple removed its app for fake IDs. I can't believe Apple had an app for fake iDs! The Washington Post: "Sorry, underage drinkers, Apple pulled your easy fake ID app today, after Pennsylvania Senator Bob Casey put his word in on the issue."

In addition to LS' case, fake ID played a role in the death of Nicole John (17-year-old who fell from a high-rise window ledge after partying at a NYC club), IMO. And countless others, I'm sure ...

Although it's hard to imagine why JR would sacrifice himself for CR, he might be the type of individual who impulsively goes along with something and then has to live with the consequences. But JR's story seems to be holding up, which makes me wonder: in what scenario could JR be pretty much telling the truth but CR (and MB?) be lying? Or maybe JR's a good liar?

I doubt that LS "helped" CR home ... the "making their way" comment from BPD implies they were both messed up, IMO. As usual, what happened between SW and 5 North seems key ... or maybe even what happened at MB/CR's? That's kind of suspect, too, since CR can't remember (???) and LS can't be found to say. It really comes down to MB's first-person account ... and what JR says happened next.

Please clarify:
There are adults on campus who know CR.
These adults are highly suspect individuals OR
These adults consider CR to be highly suspect.

Also, you are correct that it is ZRO whose father has been ill and who is friends with AB. As far as I know, ZMO has nothing to do with the case.

Wow, I wrote that. ugh. It's the latter.

Although it's hard to imagine why JR would sacrifice himself for CR, he might be the type of individual who impulsively goes along with something and then has to live with the consequences. But JR's story seems to be holding up, which makes me wonder: in what scenario could JR be pretty much telling the truth but CR (and MB?) be lying? Or maybe JR's a good liar?

I doubt that LS "helped" CR home ... the "making their way" comment from BPD implies they were both messed up, IMO. As usual, what happened between SW and 5 North seems key ... or maybe even what happened at MB/CR's? That's kind of suspect, too, since CR can't remember (???) and LS can't be found to say. It really comes down to MB's first-person account ... and what JR says happened next.

Partners in crime. The two of them were arrested together on Oct 31 of 2010 for drunk and disorderly conduct I think it was, in the SW parking garage. Apparently they told the police they would break the door down if they wanted to ....something like that. They may have a weird bond.

When all is said and done, the "I can't remember" stands out as a red-flag.

Partners in crime. The two of them were arrested together on Oct 31 of 2010 for drunk and disorderly conduct I think it was, in the SW parking garage. Apparently they told the police they would break the door down if they wanted to ....something like that. They may have a weird bond.

There are definitely cases where weird bonds lead to weird happenings, on both small and large scales. And CR and MB also appear to be tight, so ... I wouldn't rule it out. Maybe she was drugged and/or sexually assaulted at 5 North. It's horrible to think that, but it's what we warn young women about, whether they have heart issues or not. I just wish this case would get a break ...

rbbm

That's interesting information, Jupiter. So if the campus buzz says CR is "suspect", and many of us feel that CR is guilty, then experience tells me that in all likelihood he bears responsibility for Lauren's disappearance. I hope LE is keeping him on the radar.

Well thought comment. I agree.

There are definitely cases where weird bonds lead to weird happenings, on both small and large scales. And CR and MB also appear to be tight, so ... I wouldn't rule it out. Maybe she was drugged and/or sexually assaulted at 5 North. It's horrible to think that, but it's what we warn young women about, whether they have heart issues or not. I just wish this case would get a break ...

Regarding CR/MB, I'm reminded of the article that quoted an acquaintance of theirs who saw CR at the drugstore the day after she was reported missing. (This is the same guy who said he didn't see evidence of CR being hit hard on CR's face.) He described the relationship as CR being the alpha male and MB the yes man. Those are my words but close to the picture he painted with his own. It was obvious this acquaintance was suspicious of CR. And the fact that he took it upon himself to comment on CR/MB relationship is significant, IMO.

I didn't find that article to quote here, but I did come across the one that quotes a bystander of the altercation. He said CR was being "overly "aggressive" with Lauren and "belligerent". Okay, so this took me back to something that has always bothered me: That Lauren lurched out of the elevator when the elevator opened in the SW lobby and landed on the opposite wall. This sounds like force was applied.

Thinking about Lauren's parents and sister tonight (and many nights...)
My younger sister died a few years ago and it was horrible and wrenching, but at least we knew where she was, we were with her, we know where she is now...this is just so unacceptable...JMO

Regarding CR/MB, I'm reminded of the article that quoted an acquaintance of theirs who saw CR at the drugstore the day after she was reported missing. (This is the same guy who said he didn't see evidence of CR being hit hard on CR's face.) He described the relationship as CR being the alpha male and MB the yes man. Those are my words but close to the picture he painted with his own. It was obvious this acquaintance was suspicious of CR. And the fact that he took it upon himself to comment on CR/MB relationship is significant, IMO.

I didn't find that article to quote here, but I did come across the one that quotes a bystander of the altercation. He said CR was being "overly "aggressive" with Lauren and "belligerent". Okay, so this took me back to something that has always bothered me: That Lauren lurched out of the elevator when the elevator opened in the SW lobby and landed on the opposite wall. This sounds like force was applied.

I remember that article ... your paraphrase sounds right on. In retrospect, it is an odd comment for someone to make. I could see the "lurch" as LS being shoved or even trying to get away from an unwelcome advance.

So something horrible could have happened at CR/MB's place and JR's covering. Or maybe LS left CR/MB's for JR's to get away from someone/something (aggression? advances?) and was later followed out of 5 North? That scenario would actually put her at JR's place ...

I remember that article ... your paraphrase sounds right on. In retrospect, it is an odd comment for someone to make. I could see the "lurch" as LS being shoved or even trying to get away from an unwelcome advance.

So something horrible could have happened at CR/MB's place and JR's covering. Or maybe LS left CR/MB's for JR's to get away from someone/something (aggression? advances?) and was later followed out of 5 North? That scenario would actually put her at JR's place ...

For me, the one main thing that always comes up about 5 North is the dogs that were finally used in the boys' apartments. It seems nothing was detected.

USA Today, 6/13/2011

Several students who saw Rossman in the period after Spierer vanished questioned the "memory loss," saying he had no bruising or redness to his face that would support the claim.

"Supposedly he had that big altercation, but he didn't look like anything happened to him," said senior Chris Malone, who saw Corey the next morning, Feb. 4.

Rossman was outside his apartment, asking Malone if he'd seen Spierer.

"What's up boys?" Malone quoted Rossman as telling him. "Did you happen to see a little blond girl?"

Malone, who hadn't seen her, said he knows Rossman and roommate Mike Beth because they played in his Fantasy Football League and would sometimes grill together.

"They like to party," he said.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2011-06-12-lauren-spierer-missing_n.htm

ETA:

Fox59, 06/09/2011

It was approximately two hours earlier, at 2:40 a.m., a witness told Fox59 News that Spierer and a friend, Corey Rossman, returned to her apartment building after closing down Kilroy's Sports Bar.

This witness told Fox59 News that Spierer appeared intoxicated and Rossman was paying what could be described as, "inappropriate," attention to her...

Whether he knew it or not, apartment officials said Rossman was not to be allowed inside.

"We do have a no trespass list that does exist. There is a list of people who have historically caused problems here and our security folks keep track of them," they said.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/busines...s-100k-reward-20110609,0,3632823.story?page=1

First appeared in USA Today 06/11/2011 (The original article has disappeared from the web and is available only in Google cached versions.)

A friend of Rossman’s told The Journal News on Friday that Rossman looked groggy but OK several hours afterward and was aware that Spierer was missing. The friend, a male Indiana University student who lives in Spierer’s building, said he ran into Rossman at a CVS pharmacy the afternoon of June 3 and saw no redness or bruising on his face.

He said Rossman was with Beth and told him that Spierer had been in their apartment early that morning.

The friend spoke on the condition his name not be used because he did not want to anger Rossman and did not want police to know he was speaking about the case with a reporter.

He said Rossman recalled having a lot to drink the previous night and said he went home and passed out. Beth told the friend he put Rossman to bed and that Spierer wanted to leave. Beth told the friend he watched her walk out the door and down the street on her way home, the friend said.

According to the friend, Beth and Rossman are not just roommates, but also close friends; he described Rossman as “cool and sometimes cocky” and Beth as his slightly younger buddy who looked up to Rossman.

http://www.andfed.com/2011/06/11/dna-samples-taken-in-missing-iu-student-case/

New York Post, 06/09/2011
Students who encountered Spierer, 20, and her pal -- identified by friends as Corey Rossman -- leaving the building told The Post that she was drunk, he was bothering her and that he got angry when they asked him to stop.

"He was being overly aggressive . . . being so belligerent," one said.

http://nypost.com/2011/06/09/male-pal-eyed-in-search-for-missing-college-student/#ixzz1glXIIUqB

For me, the one main thing that always comes up about 5 North is the dogs that were finally used in the boys' apartments. It seems nothing was detected.

That's true ... the only alternative I can think of is that she did actually leave JR's but someone from 5 North followed and attacked her... maybe one of the boys tried something earlier in the night, she rejected him, and he didn't like being rejected? IDK ... that's a long shot, I guess. And there should have been a dog hit somewhere in the vicinity if that happened ...

Do we know that for sure? I think that is all speculation, as the police had not released much information. But even if the dogs had detected something, it would not have been alone sufficient for arrests in the absence of any other evidence.

That's true ... the only alternative I can think of is that she did actually leave JR's but someone from 5 North followed and attacked her... maybe one of the boys tried something earlier in the night, she rejected him, and he didn't like being rejected? IDK ... that's a long shot, I guess. And there should have been a dog hit somewhere in the vicinity if that happened ...
There were rumors that the S&R dogs lost the scent at the gravel parking lot south of Five North. There were also rumors that the dogs lost the scent at a dumpster in the area. Unless someone on this board is privy to accurate information about the results of the dog searches, we really do not know what, if anything, the dogs detected. All we know is that dogs were used and that their use has not yet led to enough evidence to make any arrests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
The Truth Sleuth