Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Missing!! > The Unidentified

Notices

The Unidentified Help give someone their name back so they can go home! Information, research and discussion of the Unidentified.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-05-2010, 09:51 PM
ChrisB ChrisB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 16
Canada - Kenora ON - Female Body in tent, June 2009

I have not been able to find any threads about this case.

http://www.missing-u.ca/UIDetail.aspx?PersonID=841

Overview: The remains of a lean, fit female were found in a wooded area in Kenora, Ontario, on June 17, 2009 in a small, one-person tent. There is an indication that this female had undergone some surgery on her face and Jaw that was well-healed. It is believed the female had been in the tent for approximately a week before being discovered. Found in the tent was a hard-cover, used copy of "A Long Way Down" by Nick Hornby, and it included a bookmark from McNally-Robinson Bookstores.

Has anyone does any work on this case? It's very intriguing.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ChrisB For This Useful Post:
  #2  
Old 09-06-2010, 12:27 AM
RubyRed's Avatar
RubyRed RubyRed is offline
Where Are All The Missing ?
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ontario but a trucker so everywhere.
Posts: 14,858





Map carried by deceased. Hand drawn pencil markings on map are very similar to the cutlines as revealed in the satellite image.























Book recovered - "A Long Way Down" by Nick Hornby



http://www.missing-u.ca/Photos.aspx?PersonID=841
__________________


Where is Nancy Moyer?

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...er#post5351180
Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RubyRed For This Useful Post:
  #3  
Old 09-06-2010, 12:33 AM
RubyRed's Avatar
RubyRed RubyRed is offline
Where Are All The Missing ?
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ontario but a trucker so everywhere.
Posts: 14,858
Public’s help sought in ID’ing body

Ontario Provincial Police are turning to the public to help identify the body of a woman discovered more than a year ago.

The body was found in a small blue and white tent located in a wooded area near Miller Rapids Road in Kenora on June 17, 2009. Investigation revealed the body was at the site no longer than a week before being discovered.

Foul play is not a factor in the death, police said.

The woman is described as light-skinned, about 26 to 50 years old, 5-foot-3 to 5-foot-7, 105 to 115 pounds, with shoulder-length light brown hair.


http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/2010...-14459061.html
__________________


Where is Nancy Moyer?

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...er#post5351180
Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RubyRed For This Useful Post:
  #4  
Old 09-06-2010, 08:01 PM
ChrisB ChrisB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyRed View Post
The woman is described as light-skinned, about 26 to 50 years old, 5-foot-3 to 5-foot-7, 105 to 115 pounds, with shoulder-length light brown hair.[/
This is what confuses me about these investigations. The police have her body and the decomposition would have been minimal after a week. Why is there a 4 inch range in her height? Can't they just measure her?

That age range is also remarkable. Almost 25 years. This is typical of Canadian police investigations. They never want to release information to the public because it may "jeopardize an investigation". In this case, foul play is not suspected so why not release a composite sketch and some more accurate physical characteristics?

A lot of people have made allusion to this in other discussion boards. I'm not sure which method is better, but the practice of canadian police forces to keep all the information secret from the public is probably why there are so many missing people and unidentified decedents in Canada per capita than in the US.
Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ChrisB For This Useful Post:
  #5  
Old 09-06-2010, 09:57 PM
RubyRed's Avatar
RubyRed RubyRed is offline
Where Are All The Missing ?
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ontario but a trucker so everywhere.
Posts: 14,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
This is what confuses me about these investigations. The police have her body and the decomposition would have been minimal after a week. Why is there a 4 inch range in her height? Can't they just measure her?

That age range is also remarkable. Almost 25 years. This is typical of Canadian police investigations. They never want to release information to the public because it may "jeopardize an investigation". In this case, foul play is not suspected so why not release a composite sketch and some more accurate physical characteristics?

A lot of people have made allusion to this in other discussion boards. I'm not sure which method is better, but the practice of canadian police forces to keep all the information secret from the public is probably why there are so many missing people and unidentified decedents in Canada per capita than in the US.
bbm

I hear you on that. It is frustrating and ridiculous. So many UID do not have a composite sketch. I mean how do we try to match them up. Many times I think WTH.
__________________


Where is Nancy Moyer?

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...er#post5351180
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RubyRed For This Useful Post:
  #6  
Old 08-08-2012, 05:44 AM
~n/t~'s Avatar
~n/t~ ~n/t~ is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 17,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
This is what confuses me about these investigations. The police have her body and the decomposition would have been minimal after a week. Why is there a 4 inch range in her height? Can't they just measure her?

That age range is also remarkable. Almost 25 years. This is typical of Canadian police investigations. They never want to release information to the public because it may "jeopardize an investigation". In this case, foul play is not suspected so why not release a composite sketch and some more accurate physical characteristics?

A lot of people have made allusion to this in other discussion boards. I'm not sure which method is better, but the practice of canadian police forces to keep all the information secret from the public is probably why there are so many missing people and unidentified decedents in Canada per capita than in the US.
I'm still on page 1 of this thread so not sure if her height was already discussed. I'm 5'3. Her jeans show a size of 6P. P = Petite. Petite sizes are for shorter women. I'm not sure if there are any other stores besides Winners that carry petite sizes. I would assume The Bay or Sears or any of the bigger chains would. I buy most of my bottoms at Winners because they have the P section and I don't have to go through the trouble of hemming my pants. IMO, this woman was no taller than 5'4"

HTH

ETA: I just saw that brand of jeans is sold at Zellers.

Last edited by ~n/t~; 08-08-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~n/t~ For This Useful Post:
  #7  
Old 08-08-2012, 06:09 AM
~n/t~'s Avatar
~n/t~ ~n/t~ is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 17,129
RE: Jaw surgery.

Maybe she was a victim of domestic abuse?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ~n/t~ For This Useful Post:
  #8  
Old 10-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Tom Friendly Tom Friendly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyRed View Post

The woman is described as light-skinned, about 26 to 50 years old, 5-foot-3 to 5-foot-7, 105 to 115 pounds, with shoulder-length light brown hair.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/2010...-14459061.html
I think we're leaning more towards her being 50. Why do I say that? This is from the OPP site http://www.missing-u.ca/UIDetail.aspx?PersonID=841

"This unidentified female has undergone extensive maxillo-facial surgery, well before time of death, most likely in her early 20's (15 to 20 years ago). This procedure was likely done in a major center by a surgeon as it was less common then than it is now. The facial bones have been surgically cut and then moved and re-wired in both the upper and lower jaws resulting in changes to the individual's facial structure. The recovery from this procedure would have been a significant intrusion into the individual's life and would have included wiring of the jaws shut for several weeks. Furthermore, this individual most likely wore orthodontic braces during adolescence for some time prior to the surgery. The current state of the teeth show that the lower teeth remain crowded, and that there is evidence of an abscess and some dental work, as well as some periodontal disease. This is consistent with a person in the mid 40's to 50s. This female was a smoker and has evidence of staining on her lower teeth.
Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tom Friendly For This Useful Post:
  #9  
Old 10-20-2013, 01:13 PM
squish squish is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Friendly View Post
I think we're leaning more towards her being 50. Why do I say that? This is from the OPP site http://www.missing-u.ca/UIDetail.aspx?PersonID=841

"This unidentified female has undergone extensive maxillo-facial surgery, well before time of death, most likely in her early 20's (15 to 20 years ago). This procedure was likely done in a major center by a surgeon as it was less common then than it is now. The facial bones have been surgically cut and then moved and re-wired in both the upper and lower jaws resulting in changes to the individual's facial structure. The recovery from this procedure would have been a significant intrusion into the individual's life and would have included wiring of the jaws shut for several weeks. Furthermore, this individual most likely wore orthodontic braces during adolescence for some time prior to the surgery. The current state of the teeth show that the lower teeth remain crowded, and that there is evidence of an abscess and some dental work, as well as some periodontal disease. This is consistent with a person in the mid 40's to 50s. This female was a smoker and has evidence of staining on her lower teeth.
I was going to have this exact same surgery but decided against it. It is to treat a class-3 malocclusion, ie an underbite. Before surgery, the woman would have had a too-small upper jaw and a protruding lower jaw, resulting in flat looking cheeks, and the jaw and chin looking very prominent. People with this problem often have thin-looking lips, especially the top lip, due to the way the underbite distorts them, and the profile of the nose usually looks prominent because it sticks out from the flat cheeks (caused by the sunken upper jaw). The nose usually looks smaller after surgery, but this is an illusion. I hope this doesn't come across as rude - because I grew up with the same problem - but, the women would have been considered unattractive before surgery, and I wonder if she was bullied for her looks. The severity of the surgery suggests that her underbite was quite bad, because (in the UK at least) they tend to only operate on the lower jaw when there isn't too much of a discrepancy.

The surgery she had involves cutting through the entire upper jaw, moving it forward and screwing into place. The lower jaw has a diagonal slice taken out of either side, then it is slid backward and pinned into its new place. She would have definitely had braces for several years before the surgery - they can't do the op without doing a LOT of brace work first to align the teeth to how they need to be in their new position. Then she would have had braces for 12-18 months afterwards to make sure the teeth stay in their new place. However it's not possible to guarantee that teeth will stay in position, no matter how long you try to hold them there with braces, 50% of people's teeth try to move back somewhat to their original position. So her crowded lower teeth just means that they shifted back after her treatment finished. It's impossible that this surgery took place without extensive brace work. As mentioned, she also would have needed her jaws wired together for at least 6 weeks post-surgery, although they mostly don't do that these days.

So the orthodontic work would have been a huge commitment for 3-4 years. Her jaw problem would have been bad enough to make her want to go through all that. She probably had some difficulty chewing, but braces make that much worse, so the main motive would have been aesthetics. This makes me think that she was eager to change her appearance. I wonder how expensive it was or if it was free. The type of surgery she had indicates that her underbite was bad. Her face would have changed a lot after surgery and she would have looked much better.

This link shows a man before and after this operation:

http://www.contempclindent.org/artic...82;aulast=Ravi

Last edited by squish; 10-20-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squish For This Useful Post:
  #10  
Old 04-05-2014, 04:59 PM
juli99 juli99 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 571
I was just scrolling through the Canadian cases and this one caught my eye.

I would definitely agree the tent has been photoshopped. Perhaps as someone else suggested, an animal got into the tent. That would also possibly explain why they didn't know what she looked like.

Something I haven't seen mentioned here is that the composite sketch is of her 20 or so years ago when she would have had the surgery. So, she would have looked much older than that when she was found.

If it weren't for the map, I might suggest that it seems like suicide. The book seems like an awful coincidence. If she didn't have anything else with her, it's hard to believe she was just "passing through" on her travels. But she can't be from Kenora, surely someone would have identified her.

My gut feeling is that she might be from Winnipeg, given that all her items are Canadian, and that bookmark was from a store in Winnipeg. Puzzling that nobody has reported her missing. Perhaps she had no more ties to family.

I wonder what came of the plan to send the sketch to dental surgeons? You would think something might have come of that.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juli99 For This Useful Post:
  #11  
Old 04-06-2014, 01:34 PM
catlike's Avatar
catlike catlike is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Balt/DC/ATL/SF/SEA/?
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
I was going to have this exact same surgery but decided against it. It is to treat a class-3 malocclusion, ie an underbite. Before surgery, the woman would have had a too-small upper jaw and a protruding lower jaw, resulting in flat looking cheeks, and the jaw and chin looking very prominent. People with this problem often have thin-looking lips, especially the top lip, due to the way the underbite distorts them, and the profile of the nose usually looks prominent because it sticks out from the flat cheeks (caused by the sunken upper jaw). ...
When I first read the description of the jaw surgery, this is exactly what I was thinking of. I had the option of doing this, as well. I had a class-3 malocclusion and my jaw protrudes. Instead, I opted for 4 years of adult braces to fix it When my orthodontist looked at the casts he made of my teeth prior to treatment, he had to check the upper arch to make sure he had the right one, because he described it as looking like a child's upper arch.

It's interesting what you say about the features. I have flat cheeks (and a bit of fat on my face), so I've never had much in the way of cheekbones. I also have a significantly thinner lip on top (my mother had thin lips, but I have no idea if she had an underbite, as well).

I imagine her with a thinner upper lip than what the reconstruction shows. As it is now, it looks like she has a larger upper lip, which would be more indicative of an overbite.

Just an interesting note about her shoes—the soles are worn in the same way mine get worn down. I supinate (walk with my ankles rolling out). What happens during the gait cycle is that you strike with the heel of your foot, angle out to the side, but then don't follow through with your step to the end of the foot. As a result, your heels get worn down quickly (and the front of your shoe shows little wear). I've have to be diligent about keeping heel taps on my shoes or else the heels will wear down in weeks to months, depending on the quality of the sole. Probably not going to help identify her, but she may have been part of that small fraction of the population with that type of gait.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to catlike For This Useful Post:
  #12  
Old 09-18-2010, 01:16 PM
ChrisB ChrisB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 16
Bumping this case. This is fairly recent and there is so much information to go on. Surely someone can solve this.

As an FYI, Kenora, ON is within 100 miles of the US border. She may be American.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChrisB For This Useful Post:
  #13  
Old 09-24-2010, 05:32 PM
dotr dotr is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,775
The book deals with suicide,perhaps explaining why L.E. have not provided a photo or sketch and possibly making height difficult to pinpoint if (sorry) death was result of a self inflicted gunshot wound to the head.
A Long Way Down
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search
A Long Way Down

Author Nick Hornby
Country United Kingdom
Language English
Publisher Riverhead Books
Publication date 7 June 2005
Media type Print (Hardcover and Paperback) & Audio CD
Pages 352 pp
ISBN ISBN 1573223026
OCLC Number 56567128

A Long Way Down is a novel written by British author Nick Hornby, published in 2005. It is a dark comedy, playing off the themes of suicide, angst, depression and promiscuity.

The story is written in the first-person narrative from the points of view of the four main characters, Martin, Maureen, Jess and JJ. These four strangers happen to meet on the roof of a high building called Topper's House in London on New Year's Eve, each with the intent of committing suicide. Their plans for death in solitude, however, are ruined when they meet. The novel recounts their misadventures as they decide to come down from the roof alive - however temporarily that may be.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:
  #14  
Old 09-28-2010, 08:20 PM
ChrisB ChrisB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 16
[QUOTE if (sorry) death was result of a self inflicted gunshot wound to the head..[/quote]

When you look at the picture of the tent, I've always assumed that it was dirt on the ground. Could it be blood?
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChrisB For This Useful Post:
  #15  
Old 10-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Tom Friendly Tom Friendly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
[QUOTE if (sorry) death was result of a self inflicted gunshot wound to the head..
When you look at the picture of the tent, I've always assumed that it was dirt on the ground. Could it be blood?[/quote]

More than that... check out the picture of the tent again. Notice how the whole back wall of the tent has been edited and replaced with solid grey colour?
Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Tom Friendly For This Useful Post:
  #16  
Old 10-01-2010, 09:30 PM
MandyLeigh's Avatar
MandyLeigh MandyLeigh is offline
In Memory of my beautiful teacher Katherine Powell. Murdered by David Middleton
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Friendly View Post
More than that... check out the picture of the tent again. Notice how the whole back wall of the tent has been edited and replaced with solid grey colour?
You are right Tom, nice eye. I hadn't noticed it until you pointed it out.


Maybe this is why they couldn't do a facial sketch. She has a pretty distinct description though. I hope the surgery aspect helps family identify her, if anymore family exists.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MandyLeigh For This Useful Post:
  #17  
Old 08-07-2012, 03:35 PM
Wondergirl's Avatar
Wondergirl Wondergirl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyLeigh View Post
You are right Tom, nice eye. I hadn't noticed it until you pointed it out.


Maybe this is why they couldn't do a facial sketch. She has a pretty distinct description though. I hope the surgery aspect helps family identify her, if anymore family exists.
I agree, the back wall on that tent is photoshopped.

OPP says no foul play involved though?

Who is this woman?

The sketch is so detailed.

Could she be American?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wondergirl For This Useful Post:
  #18  
Old 06-13-2011, 05:13 PM
malaika malaika is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vegas Baby.
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Friendly View Post
When you look at the picture of the tent, I've always assumed that it was dirt on the ground. Could it be blood?
More than that... check out the picture of the tent again. Notice how the whole back wall of the tent has been edited and replaced with solid grey colour?[/quote]


Wow I didn't even notice that till you pointed it out :-( Guess we know what that indicates.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malaika For This Useful Post:
  #19  
Old 09-24-2010, 06:46 PM
dotr dotr is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,775
The bag seems to be distributed in Hudson Bay stores.
http://www.mapleleaftravel.ca/foldab...opziptravelbag

Maple Leaf Travel Accessories are available exclusively at The Bay and Zellers stores throughout Canada. You may use out store locator to find the location nearest you.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:
  #20  
Old 09-25-2010, 05:22 PM
buffetoflies buffetoflies is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Upper Midwest
Posts: 914
Looked through the listings on charleyproject for potential missing people in MN because Kenora is just north of the border and the only one who was even close is http://charleyproject.org/cases/p/pease_april.html. She's on the young side for age though. Her teeth don't look very straight in the smiley picture, but maybe she didn't wear her retainer.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to buffetoflies For This Useful Post:
  #21  
Old 09-28-2010, 08:18 PM
ChrisB ChrisB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffetoflies View Post
Looked through the listings on charleyproject for potential missing people in MN because Kenora is just north of the border and the only one who was even close is http://charleyproject.org/cases/p/pease_april.html. She's on the young side for age though. Her teeth don't look very straight in the smiley picture, but maybe she didn't wear her retainer.
About a month ago, I submitted April Lee Pease's information to the OPP investigators. I haven't heard back yet but I'm not very optimistic about a match.

The suicide angle is one that I never considered before. You'd think that LE would put that information on her profile, but this is Canada and the police never release anything.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChrisB For This Useful Post:
  #22  
Old 10-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Tom Friendly Tom Friendly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffetoflies View Post
Looked through the listings on charleyproject for potential missing people in MN because Kenora is just north of the border and the only one who was even close is http://charleyproject.org/cases/p/pease_april.html. She's on the young side for age though. Her teeth don't look very straight in the smiley picture, but maybe she didn't wear her retainer.
April had 2 tattoos. The UI had none. The OPP site always lists tattoos on their UIs. They usually take pictures of the tattoos as well so its safe to say that this is not April Pease.
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tom Friendly For This Useful Post:
  #23  
Old 09-30-2010, 12:37 PM
dotr dotr is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,775
Actually I do not think it is blood in the tent, but the sweater does look bloodstained (I think) I wonder if a closer look at the necklace would reveal where it was bought or made.It is obviously very difficult to compare the young lady (A.P.) to "the reader" but shadows seen on her cheek could actually be indented from teeth surgery of some sort or loss of teeth. Nick Hornby is a writer that is often popular with a younger, trendy type readership.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:
  #24  
Old 09-30-2010, 02:46 PM
dotr dotr is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,775
The only reason I put forth the question about suicide is because that is the theme of the book found with the deceased. I think LE probably does not reveal that kind of info. out of respect to loved ones.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:
  #25  
Old 10-01-2010, 07:07 PM
ChrisB ChrisB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotr View Post
I think LE probably does not reveal that kind of info. out of respect to loved ones.
Right now, there are no loved ones to respect. As long as they hold back info, they'll probably never identify her
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChrisB For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
35-55, facial surgery, kenora, ontario, remains found, tent

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Identified! Canada - Richmond BC -Asian/NtvFem, Hoodie w/Baby Pfat Cat Logo, Jun'06 Gurpreet Gill outofthedark Identified! 3 02-19-2013 10:27 PM
CANADA Canada - Saskatoon SK, WhtFem 498UFSK, 25-35, Murdered 1900-1920, Found Jun'06 Venom Goose The Unidentified 22 09-05-2012 03:06 AM
Identified! Canada - White Rock Beach BC - Female, 40-50, June 2010 fhc Identified! 3 03-25-2012 11:44 AM
Identified! PA - Body found in tent near Penn Twp. lake - Oct. 2010 tatertot Identified! 4 01-03-2011 09:08 PM


© Copyright Websleuths 1999-2012 New To Site? Need Help?
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:28 AM.

Advertisements

Pre-Order Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony today!