Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Featured Case Discussion > Hot Cases > Lauren Spierer General Discussion Threads

Notices

Old 06-16-2011, 02:35 AM
WS Super Moderator

IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #6

http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-laure...,1261306.story

Bloomington Police search for missing 20 year old woman
Lauren Spierer, age 20.
She is a white female, 4 feet 11 inches tall, slender build, has blue eyes and long blonde hair. She is listed as a student according to IU Bloomington's website.
Spierer was last seen walking south on College Avenue from 11th Street on her way back to her apartment in Smallwood Plaza, located on College Avenue.
She did not arrive to her apartment and video footage does not show her entering the apartment complex.
Spierer was wearing a white tank top with a loose, light colored button shirt over it and full length black stretch pants. She was not wearing shoes.

Thread #1

Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5

Media Links

Photos

Please continue here...

I don't even know to this day what I meant by what I said.
Casey Anthony, bankruptcy/Zenaida Gonzalez deposition, 01/23/2014
Old 06-16-2011, 03:17 AM
WS Super Moderator

http://www.lohud.com/article/20110615/NEWS02/106150373

Re: the photo released Wednesday, 06-15-2011, of Lauren leaving Smallwood Apartments the evening of June 2, 2011.

http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=81929

Last edited by bessie; 06-16-2011 at 09:58 PM. Reason: punctuation
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bessie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2011, 03:21 AM
WS Super Moderator

Photos of the truck caught by surveillance cameras near 10th St. and Morton at approximately 4:14-4:24 a.m., Friday, June 3, 2011

http://www.theindychannel.com/image/...32/detail.html

http://www.theindychannel.com/image/...60/detail.html

Last edited by bessie; 06-16-2011 at 08:51 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bessie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2011, 03:28 AM
WS Super Moderator

Btown's map with truck added at 10th and Morton

Old 06-16-2011, 03:40 AM
WS Super Moderator

Good article by the editor-in-chief of the Indiana Daily Student about integrity and the challenges of responsible reporting in Lauren's disappearance.

Our pledge to Lauren and readers

By BROOKE LILLARD | IDS
POSTED AT 08:38 PM ON Jun. 15, 2011 (UPDATED AT 09:29 PM ON Jun. 15, 2011)

Quote:
There have been days when other news organizations have released information before us. If we take our time, its not because we want to prevent you from knowing information, but to make sure what we tell you is indeed factual. We are consistently working as quickly as possible to verify those facts.
http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=81945

Old 06-16-2011, 03:49 AM
WS Super Moderator

The words of a mother in anguish, Charlene Spierer.

Quote:
"I start my every day hoping that today is the day. I go to sleep every night knowing that I have failed, and that I haven't done enough," said the student's mother, Charlene Spierer, choking back tears. "Anybody who knows anything: It's time to come forward."

More at the link

Old 06-16-2011, 05:27 AM

also between bing maps birdeye veiw, google road satalite, and other satalite images would be easy to find all the white trucks in the area that are this make, white trucks are easy to see in satalite, but there are many, i found 4 within 8 blocks of her place (short beds), using google road view i was able to rule some out (back window size), also remember the black colored paint on the white truck bed to rule some out...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harrison For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
also between bing maps birdeye veiw, google road satalite, and other satalite images would be easy to find all the white trucks in the area that are this make, white trucks are easy to see in satalite, but there are many, i found 4 within 8 blocks of her place (short beds), using google road view i was able to rule some out (back window size), also remember the black colored paint on the white truck bed to rule some out...
The problem with google street maps and bing satellite images is they are all a single shot from a single point in time. Google street images are captured by a truck which drives around with cameras mounted on it and bing satellite images are actually taken by airplane flyovers.

These images also aren't updated very frequently. I know the Bing images of my house still has a tree in my back yard I cut down 2 years ago.

Also ... I'm impressed by just how many white trucks there are in Bloomington. I watched some youtube news clips yesterday and just in the 30 seconds clips with the reporter speaking you'd see 2 or 3 white trucks drive by.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blazelet For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2011, 09:10 AM
WS Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazelet View Post
The problem with google street maps and bing satellite images is they are all a single shot from a single point in time. Google street images are captured by a truck which drives around with cameras mounted on it and bing satellite images are actually taken by airplane flyovers.

These images also aren't updated very frequently. I know the Bing images of my house still has a tree in my back yard I cut down 2 years ago.

Also ... I'm impressed by just how many white trucks there are in Bloomington. I watched some youtube news clips yesterday and just in the 30 seconds clips with the reporter speaking you'd see 2 or 3 white trucks drive by.
True. Google Earth provides a history of images, and the most current Bloomington images are about three years old, I believe. Some of the buildings we've seen in Btown's photos don't even appear on the latest Google map.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:47 AM

if she had no shoes, and was offered a quick ride, and then the driver wouldnt stop, she didnt want to jump, in my above phtoshop pic, the person looks to be in a logical balancing mode in the back of a truck, right arm bracing the floor/ground and the left up as if to is notify, in a distressed sort of way about/or to a driver who isnt stopping so she could hop out. just giving ideas, i am really not sure what i am seeing about that truck the more i look at it...
The Following User Says Thank You to harrison For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
if she had no shoes, and was offered a quick ride, and then the driver wouldnt stop, she didnt want to jump, in my above phtoshop pic, the person looks to be in a logical balancing mode in the back of a truck, right arm bracing the floor/ground and the left up as if to is notify, in a distressed sort of way about/or to a driver who isnt stopping so she could hop out. just giving ideas, i am really not sure what i am seeing about that truck the more i look at it...
I really wish I could see the video to see if there is enough information to tell if the thing in the bed is moving organically or rigidly or at all.

Has anyone heard \ seen anything about the video being shared?
The Following User Says Thank You to blazelet For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2011, 07:16 AM

Fwiw in the second post it says 10th and Monroe, it's actually Morton.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:54 AM
WS Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly Sasha View Post
Fwiw in the second post it says 10th and Monroe, it's actually Morton.
Thank you, Sasha. I started to make the same mistake twice yesterday and caught it each time. Monroe is stuck in my head for some reason. I've corrected it now.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessie View Post
Thank you, Sasha. I started to make the same mistake twice yesterday and caught it each time. Monroe is stuck in my head for some reason. I've corrected it now.
It makes sense. Bloomington is in Monroe County so there's a reason why it would be stuck in ones head.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:49 AM

Against my better judgment, I'm going out on a limb. I'm going against the car experts and say that the truck could be a 2005 Dodge Dakota.

Note the flared fenders.

On second thought, now that I see them together, maybe not.

Last edited by Btown; 06-16-2011 at 09:03 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Btown For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2011, 04:32 PM
snooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btown View Post
Against my better judgment, I'm going out on a limb. I'm going against the car experts and say that the truck could be a 2005 Dodge Dakota.

Note the flared fenders.

On second thought, now that I see them together, maybe not.

definately the Silverado....door handles, headlights
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Topcat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
The BPD have said it is a CHEVY. And they don't often come out and say things as fact. Gotta think FBI has some real good forensics on cars...wouldn't be surprised if someone from CHEVROLET actually confirmed.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Based on the black space between the tires and the wheel well, does it appear to you that the truck is lowered? Could be weighed down with equip. I suppose, or it could have been modified to ride that low. ?

Gabriel Johnson and Sylar Newton. Come home safely Gabriel Johnson! RIP Sweet Sylar.
The Following User Says Thank You to kissdegirl For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
and front bumper, and slope of the windshield and height of the writing near the taillight.

agreed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Btown For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2011, 06:30 PM

Smooth Operator:
You can read about Long QT syndrome here:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lon...CTION=symptoms

Some things I learned from the article:
It says many people don't experience symptoms but for those that do, the most common symptoms are fainting, seizures, and sudden death depending on the severity of the condition.
Emotional excitement and physical exertion can bring on the symptoms.
I understand the condition to interfere with heart rhythms.
imo Cocaine use could definitely exacerbate the condition.

JMO
The Following User Says Thank You to ingra1327 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2011, 09:13 AM

In the last thread (closed now) Chili Fries saw approx the same configuration of words on the side of the truck as I did (medium word, long word, short word). Bleary eyed, I was staring at the lettering and (like it was an ink blot) kept seeing different words. The second, longer, word looked to me at various times like:

American
Interior
Exterior
Refrigeration
Condition
????? It also looked like it might end in "air" or "ain" so I googled partial words and found nothing that seemed right.

The first word, LOL, could be Heating, Cooling????

The last word I initially thought was "Corp." but the truck wasn't in good enough condition for a corporation to advertise its logo on it.

So.... well, like someone posted earlier: If the FBI can't clear the image up enough to read the logo, why would I think I could?? From looking through the businesses in Indiana, I realized it might not even be an official, listed business. I don't advise anyone to begin studying those words late at night --- you just can't stop!
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodAim For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2011, 09:17 AM
Double the blessings, double the fun!

I have been lurking here, but I wanted to quickly post something based on my "expertise" *ahem* a-la "My cousin Vinny"

I believe the truck is a 2006 Chevy Silverado based on the following characteristics:
* wheels
*grille
* wheel well trim

I know it's not before 2005 because of the grille shape
I know it's not a Ford because of the wheel well shape

I don't think it's a Dodge because of the wheels.

I also have no idea what color this is- white or silver. I am guessing white.

I had those wheels on my '06 Trailblazer.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrsG728 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsG728 View Post
I have been lurking here, but I wanted to quickly post something based on my "expertise" *ahem* a-la "My cousin Vinny"

I believe the truck is a 2006 Chevy Silverado based on the following characteristics:
* wheels
*grille
* wheel well trim

I know it's not before 2005 because of the grille shape
I know it's not a Ford because of the wheel well shape

I don't think it's a Dodge because of the wheels.

I also have no idea what color this is- white or silver. I am guessing white.

I had those wheels on my '06 Trailblazer.
do you think it could be silver? I ask b/c I saw a silver truck with the black rim around the bed. There is only a picture of the bed though so I couldn't see what type of truck it is. I was going to contract the company but decided the LE said white so it was white.

But it looked to me like it could be silver as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to shockedandappalled For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2011, 11:20 AM
Inactive

In the hopes that someone who knows the answer to the below question, I am going to post this.

I am not going to get into a long drawn out explanation of what I THINK did or did not happen but I am only going to ask for a plea.

If there were drugs involved and if there is someone who supplies drugs who drives a truck like that and someone knows please contact the Bloomington Police or go to a local law firm and have them do it if you are afraid of being found out. Tell the lawyer you want a confidentiality agreement and then give the lawyer the information to turn over. Your identity will be double protected since the Bloomington Police have already stated that it will be protected.

There is a possibility that Lauren is alive and was taken somewhere.

I also do not approve of posting people's business information when you do not even know if they own a white truck let alone it was in the area. This is the age of google and no-one needs anyone to google their business and find a link to this website suggesting that the white truck may belong to their company. This is also exactly why people do not like to come forward with information and want to stay off the radar.

This is my opinion and please do not attack me for it. I am not telling anyone what to post or not to post. I am not threatening to sue anyone. All I am pointing out is that this is not a nice thing to do to another person.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shockedandappalled For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2011, 11:32 AM

Presser link
http://www.wishtv.com/subindex/video/live_events_1

Gabriel Johnson and Sylar Newton. Come home safely Gabriel Johnson! RIP Sweet Sylar.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kissdegirl For This Useful Post: