Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Featured Case Discussion > Hot Cases > Susan Cox Powell

Notices

Susan Cox Powell Missing from West Valley City, Utah, and last seen on December 6, 2009.


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-26-2011, 11:38 AM
SuziQ SuziQ is offline
Semper Fi
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 33,681
Chuck and Judith Cox file for custody

Hearing is set for this Wednesday, Sept 28th.

The Coxes also Friday requested custody of Susan and Josh's two sons, ages 6 and 4, in a nearly 90-page document.
"We have prepared this custody petition in anticipation of Josh being arrested for the disappearance, kidnapping/murder of our daughter. Obviously, we are hoping against hope and sending out many prayers that our daughter is somehow, some way found alive," the Coxes said in their petition filed Friday.
The children are currently in protective custody in Washington. Another custody hearing will be held next week.
Josh Powell did not say a word to reporters as he left the courthouse Friday.

More at link:
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...-for.html?pg=1

Declaration of Charles Franklin Cox, Custody Petition
http://www.deseretnews.com/media/pdf/603540.pdf
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:
  #2  
Old 09-26-2011, 11:42 AM
SuziQ SuziQ is offline
Semper Fi
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 33,681
Be careful about posting the granchildren's name. Last week I copied and pasted one of the names by accident and a mod needed to clean it up.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:
  #3  
Old 09-26-2011, 11:48 AM
Melanie's Avatar
Melanie Melanie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 11,989
Is the petition because gramps was arrested for crimes that may have occurred in the home?

Since JP wasn't arrested, I'm wondering what the basis of the petition is. With SP now in jail, will that be enough to give the children to the Cox's? In short, how does SP being in jail keep JP from raising the boys? Was SP the sole provider, or will JP have to show that he's able to support them.

I sure hope the children go to the Cox's -- but it could go either way IMHO.

Keeping fingers crossed!

Mel
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Melanie For This Useful Post:
  #4  
Old 09-26-2011, 01:04 PM
SuziQ SuziQ is offline
Semper Fi
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 33,681
Legal analyst weighs in on Powell custody case
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=17402647
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:
  #5  
Old 09-26-2011, 08:35 PM
SuziQ SuziQ is offline
Semper Fi
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 33,681
Sheriff's office removed Powell children for safety; 2 judges may review case separately

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...eparately.html
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:
  #6  
Old 09-26-2011, 09:17 PM
UdbCrzy2's Avatar
UdbCrzy2 UdbCrzy2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,291
Children's Services could now go after JP's assets to care for the children. If he has income they could garnish that.
__________________
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to UdbCrzy2 For This Useful Post:
  #7  
Old 09-26-2011, 09:40 PM
panthera's Avatar
panthera panthera is offline
Retired WS Staff
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: on the prowl
Posts: 25,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by UdbCrzy2 View Post
Children's Services could now go after JP's assets to care for the children. If he has income they could garnish that.
That seems to be the operative question ~ does he have any income? Or if he does, is it enough? Where is he going to live and be able to support the kids? Also there would be the issue of child care when he is at work.



MOO
__________________
Rest in Peace
Joey, Summer, Gianni & Joseph Mateo

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to panthera For This Useful Post:
  #8  
Old 09-26-2011, 10:05 PM
pferrin's Avatar
pferrin pferrin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,725
I'm praying for Mr & Mrs Cox and the boys. Sheriff must have good reason to remove boys. Could be pictures..or anything unsafe for the children.

There is always the possibility of SP getting bail..so the boys would not be able to live at his house.

I hope boys are getting a much needed break from the insanity they were living in.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pferrin For This Useful Post:
  #9  
Old 09-26-2011, 10:10 PM
panthera's Avatar
panthera panthera is offline
Retired WS Staff
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: on the prowl
Posts: 25,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by pferrin View Post
I'm praying for Mr & Mrs Cox and the boys. Sheriff must have good reason to remove boys. Could be pictures..or anything unsafe for the children.

There is always the possibility of SP getting bail..so the boys would not be able to live at his house.

I hope boys are getting a much needed break from the insanity they were living in.
I am also praying the boys will go live with Susan's parents. It is the best place for them.



MOO
__________________
Rest in Peace
Joey, Summer, Gianni & Joseph Mateo

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to panthera For This Useful Post:
  #10  
Old 09-26-2011, 10:36 PM
MsFacetious's Avatar
MsFacetious MsFacetious is offline
What a Kerfuffle...
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,456
Do we know what TIME the hearing is Wednesday?


If the boys were taken because of the pictures, that would have been planned ahead of time... CPS would have been the one to do it, not the Sheriff.

If the boys were taken because of Gpa's arrest, that would have been planned ahead of time... CPS would have been the one to do it, not the Sheriff.

Neither of those things were surprises once they arrived, they were known for days or weeks ahead of time. It's why they were there.

What occurred once they got TO the house to arrest Steve... which couldn't wait until the next day?

Why didn't the Sheriff call CPS and say "We have these concerns, will you come out here first thing in the morning?"

What did they learn or see upon or just before arriving, that caused them to believe the boys were in danger?
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MsFacetious For This Useful Post:
  #11  
Old 09-26-2011, 10:44 PM
gwenabob's Avatar
gwenabob gwenabob is offline
A nice girl with a disturbing hobby
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: City of Roses, Portland, Oregon
Posts: 2,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFacetious View Post
Do we know what TIME the hearing is Wednesday?


If the boys were taken because of the pictures, that would have been planned ahead of time... CPS would have been the one to do it, not the Sheriff.

If the boys were taken because of Gpa's arrest, that would have been planned ahead of time... CPS would have been the one to do it, not the Sheriff.

Neither of those things were surprises once they arrived, they were known for days or weeks ahead of time. It's why they were there.

What occurred once they got TO the house to arrest Steve... which couldn't wait until the next day?

Why didn't the Sheriff call CPS and say "We have these concerns, will you come out here first thing in the morning?"

What did they learn or see upon or just before arriving, that caused them to believe the boys were in danger?
Aha! Perhaps that is it. It was not planned to take the boys. Something happened or some condition was seen that made it unsafe for the boys to be there. Did JP say something like, "you'll take the boys over my dead body!" Or, "I'll kill them before I let the Coxes have them!" Were there firearms laying around? Drugs out in the open? Hmmm. Anyone have any ideas?
__________________
Justice is the constant and perpetual will to allot to every man his due. Domitus Ulpian
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to gwenabob For This Useful Post:
  #12  
Old 09-27-2011, 11:00 AM
TxLady2's Avatar
TxLady2 TxLady2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwenabob View Post
Aha! Perhaps that is it. It was not planned to take the boys. Something happened or some condition was seen that made it unsafe for the boys to be there. Did JP say something like, "you'll take the boys over my dead body!" Or, "I'll kill them before I let the Coxes have them!" Were there firearms laying around? Drugs out in the open? Hmmm. Anyone have any ideas?
IDK, but here the sheriff's deputies can call the CPS to come and remove the children immediately, if they believe there is good reason to. It doesn't have to be planned. I have seen them take children in the back of a police car and have someone from CPS meet them at the station to take custody.
I would think finding thousands of pornographic images, some of them children, in the house where the boys were living, would be reason enough to remove the boys from that home, no matter WHO had legal custody. And if Josh is not working right now, that will not be in his favor.
I hope the Coxes get custody of them, I hope they are removed from Josh permanently. I know it will be traumatic for them in a way, but most judges will decide that they are better off with family than with strangers.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TxLady2 For This Useful Post:
  #13  
Old 09-27-2011, 01:43 PM
BeanE BeanE is offline
Inactive
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,172
@TedfordKING5 Olympia WA
KING TV Olympia Bureau Photographer

Josh Powell being heard by judge concerning courts jurisdiction #susanpowell t.co/qZCOkdfE
23 minutes ago
Direct link to pic: http://yfrog.com/nv9ubbjj

Judge trying to figure out courts jurisdiction over children at this point #susanpowell
37 minutes ago

Josh Powell in court with Chuck Cox concerning custody of 2 kids #susanpowell t.co/7x6q63lH
50 minutes ago
Direct link to pic: http://yfrog.com/hwdxbsj

http://twitter.com/#!/TedfordKING5
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BeanE For This Useful Post:
  #14  
Old 09-27-2011, 01:46 PM
BeanE BeanE is offline
Inactive
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,172
Brooke4Trib Brooke Adams
Judge Kathryn Nelson is hearing arguments from an attorney for Chuck and Judy Cox, who are seeking custody of their missing daughter's sons.
1 minute ago

http://twitter.com/#!/Brooke4Trib

Brooke Adams
@Brooke4Trib Salt Lake City, Utah
I am a social justice reporter for The Salt Lake Tribune. My beat topics are GRAMA issues, domestic violence, adoption, poverty and child welfare.
http://www.sltrib.com/Blogs/GRAMA
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BeanE For This Useful Post:
  #15  
Old 09-26-2011, 11:46 PM
KaylynnCouture's Avatar
KaylynnCouture KaylynnCouture is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Utah
Posts: 5,975
I just looked through the Pierce County court docket for Wednesday but can't find the Cox's custody case on there anywhere. So, I'm not sure of the time. I'll keep looking.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KaylynnCouture For This Useful Post:
  #16  
Old 09-27-2011, 12:29 AM
polevaultpower polevaultpower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 42
Ed Troyer has stated that they have not found any pictures of the boys, at least not yet. He said they have only gone through 5% of the pictures they found, but my opinion is they would have briefly skimmed through most of them to see if the boys were in there. He said something along the lines of Powell seems to like girls, so I don't think there are any pictures of any little boys in there. Hopefully none turn up!!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to polevaultpower For This Useful Post:
  #17  
Old 09-27-2011, 12:56 AM
FLmom777's Avatar
FLmom777 FLmom777 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
Ed Troyer has stated that they have not found any pictures of the boys, at least not yet. He said they have only gone through 5% of the pictures they found, but my opinion is they would have briefly skimmed through most of them to see if the boys were in there. He said something along the lines of Powell seems to like girls, so I don't think there are any pictures of any little boys in there. Hopefully none turn up!!
I have been wondering whu they were removed from JP but have not seen anything. Does anybody know anything about this?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FLmom777 For This Useful Post:
  #18  
Old 09-27-2011, 01:50 PM
BeanE BeanE is offline
Inactive
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,172
Brooke4Trib Brooke Adams

Josh Powell said there appears to be a "collusion to create an end run around the system that is not in the best interests of my sons."
28 seconds ago

Josh Powell also said he did not believe the state has the authority to keep the boys w/o a dependency hearing.
2 minutes ago

Josh Powell, the boys' father is representing himself. He told the judge he had no idea why he was being deprived of his sons.
3 minutes ago
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to BeanE For This Useful Post:
  #19  
Old 09-27-2011, 01:53 PM
BeanE BeanE is offline
Inactive
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,172
Brooke4Trib Brooke Adams
This is the hearing that was supposed to take place Wednesday, but was switched -- quietly and suddenly -- onto today's calendar.
1 minute ago
  #20  
Old 09-27-2011, 01:58 PM
Soulmagent Soulmagent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanE View Post
Brooke4Trib Brooke Adams

Josh Powell said there appears to be a "collusion to create an end run around the system that is not in the best interests of my sons."
28 seconds ago

Josh Powell also said he did not believe the state has the authority to keep the boys w/o a dependency hearing.
2 minutes ago

Josh Powell, the boys' father is representing himself. He told the judge he had no idea why he was being deprived of his sons.
3 minutes ago Favorite Undo Retweet Reply
Ironic , as they have no idea why they are being deprived of their mother.
  #21  
Old 09-27-2011, 03:17 PM
Cherry Baby's Avatar
Cherry Baby Cherry Baby is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanE View Post
Brooke4Trib Brooke Adams


Josh Powell, the boys' father is representing himself. He told the judge he had no idea why he was being deprived of his sons.
3 minutes ago
He is seriously deluded. Wow.
__________________
That's Ms Crime Junkie to you Mr Baez...
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cherry Baby For This Useful Post:
  #22  
Old 09-27-2011, 01:55 PM
gwenabob's Avatar
gwenabob gwenabob is offline
A nice girl with a disturbing hobby
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: City of Roses, Portland, Oregon
Posts: 2,404
Yeah, I was wondering about that. Here I was thinking "It's Wednesday already? Where did Tuesday go?!"
__________________
Justice is the constant and perpetual will to allot to every man his due. Domitus Ulpian
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to gwenabob For This Useful Post:
  #23  
Old 09-27-2011, 01:56 PM
BeanE BeanE is offline
Inactive
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,172
Brooke4Trib Brooke Adams
The Coxes are here. They've been doing interviews with NBC's Dateline over the past few days, who is here with them.
now
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BeanE For This Useful Post:
  #24  
Old 09-27-2011, 01:58 PM
BeanE BeanE is offline
Inactive
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,172
Brooke4Trib Brooke Adams
We are currently in a recess.
1 minute ago
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BeanE For This Useful Post:
  #25  
Old 09-27-2011, 02:01 PM
BeanE BeanE is offline
Inactive
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,172
Brooke4Trib Brooke Adams
The Coxes are here. They've been doing interviews with Today and NBC's Dateline the past few days. One of the network's reporters is here.
1 minute ago

(The tweet above about Dateline has been deleted.)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BeanE For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why didn't Cindy file for custody of Caylee? Could Cindy have saved her? Irish_Eyes Caylee Anthony 2 years old 227 08-21-2011 04:06 AM
Chuck and Judy Cox on Today Show - Dec 2010 Jacie Estes Susan Cox Powell 1 12-04-2010 03:19 PM
Chuck of Chuck's Bail Bonds arrested on federal charges lynnb Haleigh Cummings 114 06-20-2010 05:39 AM
Different type of Custody Case Vt. judge sets deadline in women's custody dispute Blue_Dolphin308 Up to the Minute 0 01-29-2010 03:51 AM
Child Custody Shocker: Sharon Stone Loses Joint Custody of Son Roan Patience Up to the Minute 8 10-03-2008 07:41 PM


© Copyright Websleuths 1999-2012 New To Site? Need Help?
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:27 AM.

Advertisements

Pre-Order Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony today!