Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Missing!! > Missing but not forgotten Discussion

Notices

Missing but not forgotten Discussion This Forum is for case discussion and opinion regarding all missing persons who have not been forgotten despite the number of years they have been missing. Many members have loved ones here & need your help to bring them home!

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 09:30 PM
WS Administrator

WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #5

Please continue here.

REMINDERS:

Message from Hoppyfrog, Moderator:

Terms of Service - Short, Plain Language Version

We have a detailed, formal Terms of Service (TOS) posted separately, and that TOS is what you will be held to as a member here. It's long and detailed because it has to be in the world we live in, and you are expected to read it, understand it and abide by it. However, we can sum it up as follows:

1) Be a decent human being;
2) Treat your fellow posters as the decent human beings they are;
3) Keep in mind that whatever you post will likely live on forever, so think before you press "Submit Reply".
4) It's a big world. People will disagree with you. You will disagree with them. This can be done with respect, and that's what we expect.

Some specifics about being “a decent human being”:

Being rude to our new posters or any poster for that matter, is against our TOS. If they ask a question you think has already been discussed, just pass on by it. Do not tell them to get up to speed before posting. That is rude and against our TOS.

Do not drag any innocent persons--such as SS's relatives--into this discussion, and certainly do not post personal information (names, addresses, phone numbers, etc) of innocent parties.

Do not post about other WS members, whether or not they are present. Do not post about why or why not they are present. That is called gossip, and we don’t do that at WS. It’s rude.

It is against TOS to try to guess or sleuth the identity of another poster at WS.

Links to social networking sites are allowed, but WS does not allow direct quotes or cut and pastes from them.

Please do not link to minors' pages.

If anyone has a problem with a post, please alert us to it using the alert button in the top right corner of each post. You will see a triangle with an exclamation mark in it there. Do not respond to a problematic post. That only compounds the problem and creates more work for the mods. Hit the alert button instead.

The complete TOS can be found here:

The Rules - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Please read and follow them.

Thank you.

Also - remember that talking about emailing or PM'ing each other is against the rules. You will find it in the TOS under "inviting." You can do it, you can't post about it.

Thread 4

Thread 3

Thread 2

Thread 1

WS is a victim friendly forum. That means we do not sleuth family or friends of a victim until LE or main stream media give us a reason too. We treat family and friends with respect and sensitivity.

We also recognize that each poster has an opinion. They are entitled to their opinion. If you disagree with the opinion, move on - do not respond and try to change their mind. Just move on. If their opinion or post is offensive, hit the alert button (the little red triangle in the upper right corner of the post), then move on.

When paraphrasing from articles, it is important to be accurate. Do not add words to the interviewer or the interviewee's comments.

It is recognized that this case may be at a cross roads and could potentially turn in a couple of different directions. If that happens, sleuthing will also take a turn. BUT sleuthing will not take that turn unless there are solid indications from LE or the main stream media.

If there is continued sleuthing or disparaging comments about family members, posters will be given time outs.

Thanks for keeping the focus on Shantina and Azriel.

Salem

Last edited by Salem; 03-27-2010 at 09:31 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Salem For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2010, 09:42 PM

Here I am on #5. Seems we have run out of ideas, but I am having an awful time letting go of both Shantina and Azriel, as irrational as it would seem. Well, I wonder where this thread will take us....if anywhere......
By the way, I am a producer on Now Public Media, which is how I became so caught up in this case. These were my 3 stories I posted, and then, I came here, because I wanted to know what happened, in depth...

http://my.nowpublic.com/world/no-clues-case-missing-shantina-smiley-and-8-year-old-son

http://my.nowpublic.com/world/autopsy-confirms-body-azriel-carver-cause-death-drowning

http://my.nowpublic.com/world/autops...d-abuse-probes

Last edited by SMK; 03-27-2010 at 10:16 PM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SMK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2010, 09:48 PM
Inactive

I went back through all the surveillance videos looking at SS for anything that might be a sign of illness or injury or a brain event, but I really didn't see anything. The videos were kind of jerky in movement, rather they made the people look jerky in movement so it wasn't very clear.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BeanE For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanE View Post
I went back through all the surveillance videos looking at SS for anything that might be a sign of illness or injury or a brain event, but I really didn't see anything. The videos were kind of jerky in movement, rather they made the people look jerky in movement so it wasn't very clear.
Yes, I noticed that too: Very choppy and lurching videos. Not easy to tell the actual movement.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SMK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2010, 11:18 PM

When I do look at the clearer ones, she honestly does not look impaired to me, not in any obvious way. A stumbling, slurring person would be noticed more, and the police called, I assume, if it had been blatant and really obvious...
although she does hit the curb...
Do not know why I am stuck on her and her son in these tapes, as if watching them will change the outcome....Obsessive, much?

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4114833/n...ylist_id=87249

Last edited by SMK; 03-27-2010 at 11:24 PM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SMK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2010, 12:38 AM
Former Member

(supposedly) Azriel said his mommy hit her head. I don't know why that was dismissed out of hand. And there are so many other reasons why she could have acted the way she did. Someone mentioned migraines earlier; I hadn't considered that, but that was a good point too.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Calliope For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2010, 01:20 AM

Rumor is that SS is a smart woman. Could SS possibly have planned a scheme, to get away, from what ever it might be, she wanted freedom from? Or, could it possibly be, that she trusted someone, to help her and her son, from the van, in the water? And, that person kidnapped them?

It's just my feeling that SS is alive. I am not sure where, though.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nancee Drue For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2010, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancee Drue View Post
Rumor is that SS is a smart woman. Could SS possibly have planned a scheme, to get away, from what ever it might be, she wanted freedom from? Or, could it possibly be, that she trusted someone, to help her and her son, from the van, in the water? And, that person kidnapped them?

It's just my feeling that SS is alive. I am not sure where, though.

Again, IMO, if she wanted to "get away", she would not have made herself so visible, making all those stops asking for directions to a freeway that was practically within walking distance from where she was asking. I have never heard of someone calling such attention to their actions, wandering for hours in one location while they are running away

If someone wants to disappear/get away from it all, it is quite easy...you just quietly go without telling anyone...you just go. Either take your child(ren) with you or leave them with someone.

I do not believe Shantina was a monster and killed her child to start a new life. I do believe that whatever happened that night was not a planned event. Just an extremely sad and tragic event. Also, IMO, she is in the water.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jani For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2010, 02:09 AM

Perhaps, she made herself noticeable, so it would seem she was having a possible problem, and people might think she drowned??? Then, she could disappear?

Or, perhaps, she was just kidnapped? Maybe a kidnapper harmed SS's son, and is holding SS captive?

The easiest, end of story conclusion is, that SS drowned. I won't believe unless her body is found.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nancee Drue For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2010, 02:10 AM
Banned

Where can I find detailed info about the multiple CPS reports, especially ones filed btwn 04-06? I know in some of the previous threads there has been much referanced to these reports and discussion tho I havent, myself, seen any of the reports of excerpts from them If anyone knows where I could locate such info would post a link or even just point me in the correct direction? TIA!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to jessigirl For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2010, 11:54 AM

Also: Her "brain event" may have been the result of anti-anxiety meds, and then worsened with wine on top of that.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SMK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2010, 12:05 PM
Inactive

I looked up Carlo Rossi wine.

It's available in 1.5L, 3.0L and 4.0L bottles.

We need to pin down the 'average' effects of drinking that amount.

I think different types of wine (red, white) might have different effects. The wine she bought appeared to be white. The whites that Carlo Rossi sells are: Chablis, Chardonnay, and Rhine.

http://www.carlorossi.com/the-wines/TheWines.html

Once we get the expected effects we can compare them against the symptoms she displayed, and against symptoms of concussion, stroke, etc.

ETA: I believe it's actually the 1.5L she bought. So she would have consumed half that, or .75L.

Last edited by BeanE; 03-28-2010 at 12:49 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BeanE For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I looked up Carlo Rossi wine.

It's available in 1.5L, 3.0L and 4.0L bottles. I looked up pictures, and the 1.5 is a regular wine bottle. It looks like the 3L is what she bought. So she may have had approximately 1.5L.

We need to pin down the 'average' effects of drinking that amount. That's about the amount of wine in a regular wine bottle.

I think different types of wine (red, white) might have different effects. The wine she bought appeared to be white. The whites that Carlo Rossi sells are: Chablis, Chardonnay, and Rhine.

http://www.carlorossi.com/the-wines/TheWines.html

Once we get the expected effects we can compare them against the symptoms she displayed, and against symptoms of concussion, stroke, etc.
Good thinking, and thanks for that info. And also, certain anti-anxiety meds, such as what RS told press she had been taking, have the side effects greatly increased if taken with red winehttp://healthed.aarphealthcare.com/ArticlePage.aspx?CategName=Depression&TopicName=Me dications&ArticleTitle=antianxiety

Last edited by SMK; 03-28-2010 at 12:12 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SMK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2010, 12:12 PM
Inactive

Brain event symptoms

Diner employee comment:
http://www.theolympian.com/2010/03/1...n-missing.html
- "Mom hit her head"
- appeared drunk
- wondered if she had a concussion

Other symptoms:
- disorientation
- frequent, long stops in vehicle
- unable to follow simple directions for short distances
- fell down outside diner

Possible nausea, vomiting
- left diner without food she'd paid for
- unexplained frequent, long stops while driving
- Williams said she looked as if she'd been crying. Typical symptoms of crying: Red, swollen, watery eyes and red runny nose.
- Typical symptoms after vomiting: red, swollen, watery eyes. Red, runny nose.
- bent over counter

Last edited by BeanE; 03-28-2010 at 12:13 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BeanE For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Brain event symptoms

Diner employee comment:
http://www.theolympian.com/2010/03/1...n-missing.html
- "Mom hit her head"
- appeared drunk
- wondered if she had a concussion

Other symptoms:
- disorientation
- frequent, long stops in vehicle
- unable to follow simple directions for short distances

Possible nausea, vomiting
- left diner without food she'd paid for
- unexplained frequent, long stops while driving
- Williams said she looked as if she'd been crying. Typical symptoms of crying: Red, swollen, watery eyes and red runny nose.
- Typical symptoms after vomiting: red, swollen, watery eyes. Red, runny nose.
- bent over counter
Wow, what a thorough and excellent list. And it does add up. I wonder if taking anti-stress meds due to the pending visit, which she may have been nervous about, could have led to her bumping her head. The combination leading to a "brain event". And then wine worsening it: Perhaps a glass of wine or two in an attempt to "come down" from the meds? And then furthering of nausea and disorientation. It is too bad she could not have been detained and checked somehow.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SMK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
ETA: I believe it's actually the 1.5L she bought. So she would have consumed half that, or .75L.
I agree.

I compared the bottle of wine in the picture that was posted here a few days ago, with the bottle of water that was also next to it on the picture.

Bottled waters (on average) come in 1/2 a litter (1 pint and .9 ounces.)

The size of the bottle of wine looked like three times that of the bottle of water, IMO.

That would make it about 1.5L.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipin One View Post
I agree.

I compared the bottle of wine in the picture that was posted here a few days ago, with the bottle of water that was also next to it on the picture.

Bottled waters (on average) come in 1/2 a litter (1 pint and .9 ounces.)

The size of the bottle of wine looked like three times that of the bottle of water, IMO.

That would make it about 1.5L.
If this is true, then it would have held 10 5 oz. glasses of wine, of which about 5 had been drank. According to this info, anyway:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_g...bottle_of_wine

Last edited by SMK; 03-28-2010 at 02:57 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SMK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2010, 12:21 PM

1.5 liters is twice the size of a regular bottle of wine and holds 10 5oz servings. There is no average effect for alcohol. An person with a high tolerance, for example an alcoholic that drinks every day, might show very little effect from drinking that much over a period of time. On the other hand someone with a low tolerance would be noticeably tipsy after 1 or 2 glasses.

I feel her bizarre behavior started well before the wine purchase on the video and she may well have already been drinking.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to powayparent For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2010, 12:37 PM
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by powayparent View Post
1.5 liters is twice the size of a regular bottle of wine and holds 10 5oz servings. There is no average effect for alcohol. An person with a high tolerance, for example an alcoholic that drinks every day, might show very little effect from drinking that much over a period of time. On the other hand someone with a low tolerance would be noticeably tipsy after 1 or 2 glasses.

I feel her bizarre behavior started well before the wine purchase on the video and she may well have already been drinking.
ETA: n/m. Got my amounts mixed up. Sorry.

This page shows both 1.5L jug and 3L jug. I think she bought a 1.5L jug. Can someone else look please? I'm getting myself all confused. Obviously I'm not a wine drinker

http://www.licoresuniverso.com/catal..._id=39&lang=sp

Last edited by BeanE; 03-28-2010 at 12:47 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BeanE For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powayparent View Post

MOO
If she left home at 5 and called RS at 6:45 from Olympia - her trip was on track and that is the right amount of time it would have taken to get there. She said she stopped because Az was hungry. They did not show up at her first recorded stop until 7:50 (Handy Pantry). What happened between her call at 6:45 and her stop at 7:50? I believe this is when she could have had an "accident" and "hit her head". She was lost and asking for directions at this first stop. It would be nice to know where she made that call to RS from. There is a mall near where she may have exited and the Handy Pantry. I wonder if they stopped off there for a bit.

I really think either an accident occurred causing her to hit her head, or she had some kind of brain/neurological event as others have suggested, or a psychotic episode.

I wonder if mental illness runs in her family (such as bi-polar, causing her extreme highs and lows). Her mother committed suicide 4 years prior and she had not seen her step dad since. Did she blame him? This trip could definitely cause her extreme stress which is why she may have needed anti-anxiety meds. It could have also caused her to drink to settle her nerves. She could have been stalling or having second thoughts about continuing on to Castle Rock - she may have lost her nerve.

It could be a combination of all these things. MOO

Last edited by Jules71; 03-28-2010 at 01:54 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jules71 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules71 View Post
MOO
If she left home at 5 and called RS at 6:45 from Olympia - her trip was on track and that is the right amount of time it would have taken to get there. She said she stopped because Az was hungry. They did not show up at her first recorded stop until 7:50 (Handy Pantry). What happened between her call at 6:45 and her stop at 7:50? I believe this is when she could have had an "accident" and "hit her head". She was lost and asking for directions at this first stop. It would be nice to know where she made that call to RS from. There is a mall near where she may have exited and the Handy Pantry. I wonder if they stopped off there for a bit.

I really think either an accident occurred causing her to hit her head, or she had some kind of brain/neurological event as others have suggested, or a psychotic episode.

I wonder if mental illness runs in her family (such as bi-polar, causing her extreme highs and lows). Her mother committed suicide 4 years prior and she had not seen her step dad since. Did she blame him? This trip could definitely cause her extreme stress which is why she may have needed anti-anxiety meds. It could have also caused her to drink to settle her nerves. She could have been stalling or having second thoughts about continuing on to Castle Rock - she may have lost her nerve.

It could be a combination of all these things. MOO
I am of the opinion that she called twice at 6:45 pm, b/c RS states once to LE that he didn't answer the phone, then in an interview with media, he declares that she told him she was in Olympia, she stopped to get Az something to eat, and iirc, she said she was lost.

His cell likely would have captured that phone number or two, and LE is likely aware if it is a payphone, or whatever. Why they didn't release that information is a mystery to me, but certainly says they don't want the public to know. So, why don't they want the public to know?
Old 03-28-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosande View Post
I am of the opinion that she called twice at 6:45 pm, b/c RS states once to LE that he didn't answer the phone, then in an interview with media, he declares that she told him she was in Olympia, she stopped to get Az something to eat, and iirc, she said she was lost.

His cell likely would have captured that phone number or two, and LE is likely aware if it is a payphone, or whatever. Why they didn't release that information is a mystery to me, but certainly says they don't want the public to know. So, why don't they want the public to know?
It seems to me he said she called him twice around 6:45 but this is what he wrote on his web page:

BBM
"I stopped in Toldeo-Vader to make quick repair, when she called me at 6:45 from a phone. She asked me if I could grab her phone, because she had left. I let her know where I was at. She was in the Olympia area, but wasn’t quite sure of where, Azriel was hungry, so she pulled off. She made complaint of being in the traffic. She gave me the destination address and told me she would be there shortly."

Yes, sounds like LE doesn't want the public to know where that call was made from.

Last edited by Jules71; 03-28-2010 at 09:44 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jules71 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosande View Post

This is a very good question.....
The Following User Says Thank You to SMK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2010, 12:33 PM
this is not what Haleigh would have wanted

ss's repeated attempts at finding directions and announcing she was lost in several different public places could have placed her in a dangerous situation. Im hoping people from these places have been looked into as she would have been an easy target for a creep, whether a bystander or even someone giving her directions could have led her to the water such as an employee getting off of work, or even a connection of the home she stopped at ....just sayin....moo
Old 03-28-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyblue View Post
ss's repeated attempts at finding directions and announcing she was lost in several different public places could have placed her in a dangerous situation. Im hoping people from these places have been looked into as she would have been an easy target for a creep, whether a bystander or even someone giving her directions could have led her to the water such as an employee getting off of work, or even a connection of the home she stopped at ....just sayin....moo
Right, this is a remote but REAL possibility, the facts notwithstanding...
The Following User Says Thank You to SMK For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread