FL - Chad Oulson, 43, killed in Wesley Chapel theater shooting, 13 Jan 2014 *Former LE arrest*

Yelling is one thing. Hitting someone in the face with an object during an argument is DEFINITELY turning it into a physical confrontation though.

Other people may like living in an environment where arguments that including punching and even beat downs are seen as "fine" as long a weapons are not involved however I feel differently.

It's definitely not "fine" for any violence to be happening over this stuff.

But violence WILL happen, tempers will flare, realistically. The question is, do you prefer it to happen with fists (as other have asked, "what happened to just taking it outside?") or with deadly weapons?

Brings to mind the phrase "Don't start fights with old people, they won't fight back; they'll just kill you." to mind.

Fact is BOTH of these men made a LOT of bad decisions, one is being made out to be a "saint" because he is dead. The texter could have gotten theater employees involved, he could have MOVED his seat, he could have STOPPED texting but instead he chose to KEEP screaming and then threw a bag of popcorn in the other man's face.

It doesn't justify him getting shot dead BUT he certainly had an active role in escalating the confrontation. They were BOTH rude and out of control, sheesh there were OTHER people there trying to watch the movie!

Do you have a link to the "screaming" part. I have only read that there was some kind of disagreement and that it was over in moments after the shooter returned from complaining to management.

I have read nothing about screaming.

Thanks!

IMHO, as a former police officer, the shooter should have done more to diffuse the situation. That is what he is trained to do, not to just pull out a gun and shoot. He could have missed and hit a bystander, or the bullet could have gone through the man and hit another person.

It appears that the eyewitness who witnessed the tragedy does not know who threw the popcorn.

http://www.ibtimes.com/curtis-reeve...shot-chad-oulson-texting-during-lone-survivor

If the vicitim did through popcorn, then he was out of line, but it is not an action punishable by death. Since he is dead, we don't have his side of the story.

Brings to mind the phrase "Don't start fights with old people, they won't fight back; they'll just kill you." to mind.

Fact is BOTH of these men made a LOT of bad decisions, one is being made out to be a "saint" because he is dead. The texter could have gotten theater employees involved, he could have MOVED his seat, he could have STOPPED texting but instead he chose to KEEP screaming and then threw a bag of popcorn in the other man's face.

It doesn't justify him getting shot dead BUT he certainly had an active role in escalating the confrontation. They were BOTH rude and out of control, sheesh there were OTHER people there trying to watch the movie!

In all fairness, the shooter could have moved, too. He could have switched seats during his previous encounter with the lady who was texting. Instead, he followed her to the bathroom.

I would like to hear from his wife (the shooter's). Has she spoken out at all?

While this shooting most definitely sounds unjustified I still find the behavior of BOTH to be rather astounding.

If a 16 year old kid did this (insisted on texting, got into a mouthy argument and THEN threw a bag of popcorn at the person he was arguing with) it would be one thing but this was a 43 year old married man with a wife and child! He was texting his 22 month old daughter (yes, I am sure that was an engaging two way conversation). Sorry but the victim's behavior was over the top too!

Meanwhile his wife is right there watching this escalate until popcorn is thrown in the face of an older man? Both of these guys are a bit off balanced if you ask me!

He was texting his daughters preschool during the previews. IN what way is this over the top? We cannot blame the victim in this case in any way. It would be horrendous to even suggest it. JMO

They later said it was the babysitter he was texting. During previews. The older man instigated the situation. Frankly he is lucky he only had popcorn thrown at him. I am sure he wasn't nice and calm. He stormed out of the theater. He clearly has issues and there is no excuse for his behavior.

Too bad it's not on video to verify if when he left the theatre, did he go to his car and at that point Arm himself? this would prove premeditation. And there is a huge part of me that believes this is exactly what he did. He left the theatre and went and got his gun out of his vehicle. I will NOT be surprised if video surfaces showing him going back to his car. What it will show us if it exists, could break this case wide open just as much as the previous victims report did. He has done this before. He has a "thing" about this inside the theatres. Leaving and returning could show premeditation. If he retrieved his firearm at that point and time. I myself BELIEVE this is exactly what happened. If he had been armed when the popcorn was tossed, he would have shot then. He had to leave and come back to shoot.

JMO based on the forensics, and current evidence.

Too bad it's not on video to verify if when he left the theatre, did he go to his car and at that point Arm himself? this would prove premeditation. And there is a huge part of me that believes this is exactly what he did. He left the theatre and went and got his gun out of his vehicle. I will NOT be surprised if video surfaces showing him going back to his car. What it will show us if it exists, could break this case wide open just as much as the previous victims report did. He has done this before. He has a "thing" about this inside the theatres. Leaving and returning could show premeditation. If he retrieved his firearm at that point and time. I myself BELIEVE this is exactly what happened. If he had been armed when the popcorn was tossed, he would have shot then. He had to leave and come back to shoot.

Cherry, my understanding is that he did fire once the popcorn was thrown. :seeya:

While this shooting most definitely sounds unjustified I still find the behavior of BOTH to be rather astounding.

If a 16 year old kid did this (insisted on texting, got into a mouthy argument and THEN threw a bag of popcorn at the person he was arguing with) it would be one thing but this was a 43 year old married man with a wife and child! He was texting his 22 month old daughter (yes, I am sure that was an engaging two way conversation). Sorry but the victim's behavior was over the top too!

Meanwhile his wife is right there watching this escalate until popcorn is thrown in the face of an older man? Both of these guys are a bit off balanced if you ask me!

You can not equate throwing a bag of popcorn to shooting someone dead.This is a victim friendly site.The man was killed in front of his wife over percieved bad manors.

I brought this up earlier that he never went to seek management but went to get gun. He did alert the manager but was late in responding so not sure if there was enough time to go to car.It would be very bad for his case and premeditation would surely get him the death penalty.

Yelling is one thing. Hitting someone in the face with an object during an argument is DEFINITELY turning it into a physical confrontation though.
With an object, really??? Exactly how deadly, or even painful is popcorn???:facepalm:

IMO, it's not even clear if the flying popcorn was the first event or a reaction to Reeves drawing his gun. It could very well be that Reeves had already pulled his gun out and the victim either threw the popcorn reflexively or threw his hands up which caused the popcorn to go flying everywhere. All we know is that popcorn flew and was quickly followed by a shot. IMO, it's quite possible that the victim and his wife were both reflexively reacting to the gun threat.

With an object, really??? Exactly how deadly, or even painful is popcorn???:facepalm:

It's clear from Reeves' bond hearing photo that neither the popcorn nor the popcorn box left a mark on him. So I think it's pretty safe to say that the flying popcorn did not pose any sort of threat, and certainly not a mortal one.

I wonder if there is any possibility that the shooter is suffering from some sort of health issue such as dementia or a brain tumor that contributed to his anger.

I feel for both wives and the sweet little girl who now has no father.

The shooter's wife will probably have to spend a great deal of money on his defense, and he is probably going to have to face a civil law suit. His poor wife is left, in her golden years, without her husband and with financial issues she may not be prepared for. That is beyond sad.

It's clear from Reeves' bond hearing photo that neither the popcorn nor the popcorn box left a mark on him. So I think it's pretty safe to say that the flying popcorn did not pose any sort of threat, and certainly not a mortal one.

Could Reeves have already thought about shooting him and was looking for any kind of response from the victim to react(ugh! I am having a hard time putting that thought into words)? Chad Oulson could have done anything like raising his hand, to trigger(no pun) Reeves to respond.This is just a thought,of course I can not know what is in his mind.

Could Reeves have already thought about shooting him and was looking for any kind of response from the victim to react(ugh! I am having a hard time putting that thought into words)? Chad Oulson could have done anything like raising his hand, to trigger(no pun) Reeves to respond.This is just a thought,of course I can not know what is in his mind.

I think he was in a rage. Personally I think the victim was getting shot whether he threw the popcorn or not.

It has nothing to do with a 16 yr old kid.

THE MOVIE HAD NOT EVEN STARTED!!!

This was an angry dude looking to teach people lessons with his gun. He was a bully and should never see the light of day.

I don't care if the guy in front of him threw a soda at his head. You don't shoot him dead in the chest.

"EXCLUSIVE - His daughter was SICK: Father shot dead in movie theater by ex-cop for texting was messaging toddler's babysitter because he thought he'd have to skip film"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...cop-refused-stop-texting-daughter-unwell.html

This makes me even sadder :( I read that this couple was enjoying a very rare "date day", which are hard to come by when you both work and have a small child. Finding out that he was texting the babysitter because his baby girl was sick... just heartbreaking.

Why didn't this former police captain call 911, if he felt threatened??? Plus his active duty LE son was only minutes away from arriving at the theater.

So senseless.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AggressiveFruit
Back