Identified! CO - Baca Co., Hisp/NtvFem 116UFCO, 19-24, beige coat, 1986 coin, Jun'88 - Nora Elia Castillo

anthrobones

Reaction score
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/116ufco.html

Unidentified Hispanic / Native Female

• Discovered on June 3, 1988 in Baca County, Colorado.
  • Estimated date of death is approximately one year before discovery.
  • The death was very likely a homicide.

Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 19 - 24 years old
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 5'2" - 5''4"; 130 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair. She could be part Indian or Hispanic. She had never given birth.
  • Dentals: Extensive dental work, including 2 silver cast crowns. 1 upper and 1 lower on left side. From her dental work it's possible she either came from Mexico or from along the Mexican border.
  • Clothing: Grey cord Levis size 30X31. Leg cuffs had been hemmed up to 27 1/2" inseam. A bra, size 34B, and a beige color winter coat with white synthetic fur collar and 4" fur cuffs. A 1986 D quarter was found in the pocket.
Case History
The victim's scattered skeletal remains were discovered 06/03/88 in Baca County, southwest of Springfield. The body was lying in an open field. Most of the skeleton was located, the bones were not all there and what was there was white and bleached. Part of the spine was still connected.

May I please ask do they have DNA on this Jane Doe? mtDNA also. I've been looking into this Jane Doe for about 16 years to check and have never really gotten any answers.I was just waiting for DNA.

May I please ask do they have DNA on this Jane Doe? mtDNA also. I've been looking into this Jane Doe for about 16 years to check and have never really gotten any answers.I was just waiting for DNA.

I couldn't find any information on her at all. It seems like the Colorado authorities just don't give a fig.

This is probably a long shot but imo there are enough potentially matching details that when combined they warrant further comparison. Your thoughts/opinions are appreciated.

UID
The Doe Network: 116UFCO
Colorado Cold Case Files - Case Detail: Jane Doe

116UFCO.jpg

MP Christine Lester
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Christine Lester – The Charley Project

Original

• Missing Since05/05/1987 (UID 6/3/88 pmi - approx. one year)
  • Missing FromIndian Wells, Arizona (UID thought to have originated in Mexico or near Mexican border)
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • SexFemale
  • RaceNative American (UID Indian and/or Hispanic origin)
  • Age24 years old (19-24)
  • Height and Weight5'3 - 5'4, 120 pounds (5' 2" - 5 '4" , 120-130)
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionA silver bracelet with a turquoise inlay that says "Christine".
  • Medical ConditionsLester suffers from epilepsy and takes prescription medication to control her condition. The medicine was left behind.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsNative American female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Christine is a member of the Navajo Nation.
According to her NamUs profile:

Circumstances of Disappearance - Christine left home at 0600 am to catch the greyhound bus to the Flagstaff Mall and has not been seen since.

Charley Project:

Lester told her grandmother she was going to meet a friend and they would hitchhike to Flagstaff. She got a ride in her uncle's pickup truck for two miles to Arizona 77. After she was dropped off at the road, she apparently disappeared.

Her Charley profile also has "Her family stated she was not the kind of person who would run away; her sister-in-law described her as a shy, religious woman who rarely left home. " By chance though Christine could have taken a bus or hitched a ride to Colorado or somewhere near. I hesitate because the UID's clothing included winter items whereas Christine went missing in May which may have been too warm for a fur-lined winter coat in Arizona. If I work on the assumption that this is a match, it would suggest that she survived in Colorado at least until the beginning of winter 1987 when a coat would have been necessary. This time frame would fall close to the approx one year pmi.

Another point that intrigues me is that Christine may have hitchhiked to Flagstaff. If she was familiar and comfortable with hitching rides she may have accepted a ride from a trucker or other driver in Colorado. The profile says the UID was discovered near a route often used by truckers. I know this is just speculation but it does leave me curious.

Comparing the photos as best I can given their differences in angles, I am particularly drawn to the similarities in the shape of the nose, eyes, lips and teeth.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this potential match. Also, does anyone know of an exclusion list?

I don't know of any exclusions list or other information. She's still not in Namus.

Christine looks like a very likely possibility to me.

Thank you, @carbuff. I appreciate your reply. I called (3/16/20) and left a voice message for Dr. Bob Morrow who is the investigating ME on this case (according to the woman who answered). I'll update if/when I hear anything.

116UFCO
She's not in Namus that I can find.

She's still not on Namus -- very few of the Colorado UIDs are.

No updates, not on Namus, very sad for this poor woman.
It took a while, but Baca County Jane Doe has just been added to NamUs! :)

Thumbnail

#UP80455
Female
Multiple

Date Body Found: June 3, 1988
Location Found: Springfield, Colorado
Estimated Age Range: --

Case Information

Demographics
Sex: Female
Race / Ethnicity: White / Caucasian, Hispanic / Latino, American Indian / Alaska Native

Possible First Name: --
Possible Middle Name: --
Possible Last Name: --
Nickname/Alias: --

Estimated Age Group: Adult - Pre 30
Estimated Age Range (Years): --
Estimated Year of Death: --
Estimated PMI: 1 Years

Height: 5' 3"(63 inches) , Estimated
Weight: 120 lbs, Estimated

Circumstances
Type: Unidentified Deceased
NamUs Case Created: May 18, 2021
ME/C QA Reviewed: --

Location Found Map
County: Baca County
GPS Coordinates (Not Mapped): --
Found On Tribal Land: No

Circumstances of Recovery:
The skeletal remains of an unknown female were discovered June 1988 in Baca County, CO southwest of Springfield, CO and northwest of Pritchett, CO. The body was located lying in an open field but had been there for approximately one year before discovery. We believe the female to have been of Native American and/or Hispanic origin. The roads near where she was discovered are frequented by truck drivers normally attempting to avoid the port.

Details of Recovery
Inventory of Remains: --
Condition of Remains: Not recognizable - Near complete or complete skeleton

Physical Description
Hair Color: Brown
Head Hair Description: --
Body Hair Description: --
Facial Hair Description: --

Left Eye Color: Unknown
Right Eye Color: Unknown
Eye Description: --

Distinctive Physical Features
No Information Entered

Clothing and Accessories
Item
Description

Accessories

- 1986 quarter found in pocket
-On the Body

Clothing
- Gray corduroy Levi brand jeans (size 30 X 31).
-Leg cuffs had been hemmed up to 27 1/2" inseam.
- Bra (size 34B)
- Beige colored winter coat with white synthetic fur collar and 4" fur cuffs

Here is a new case in NamUs; I couldn't find a previously- opened thread. I hope she will be identified soon.

Thumbnail.jpg

UNIDENTIFIED
Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP80455
Female, Multiple

Location Found: Springfield, Colorado

Sex: Female

Race / Ethnicity:
White / Caucasian, Hispanic / Latino, American Indian / Alaska Native

Estimated Age Group: Adult - Pre 30
Estimated PMI: 1 Years
Height: 5' 3"(63 inches) , Estimated
Weight: 120 lbs, Estimated

Circumstances
Unidentified Deceased
NamUs Case Created: May 18, 2021
County: Baca County

Circumstances of Recovery
The skeletal remains of an unknown female were discovered June 1988 in Baca County, CO southwest of Springfield, CO and northwest of Pritchett, CO. The body was located lying in an open field but had been there for approximately one year before discovery. We believe the female to have been of Native American and/or Hispanic origin. The roads near where she was discovered are frequented by truck drivers normally attempting to avoid the port.

Condition of Remains:
Not recognizable - Near complete or complete skeleton

Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Unknown

Clothing and Accessories
Accessories- 1986 quarter found in pocket, On the Body
Clothing- Gray corduroy Levi brand jeans (size 30 X 31). Leg cuffs had been hemmed up to 27 1/2" inseam.
- Bra (size 34B)
- Beige colored winter coat with white synthetic fur collar and 4" fur cuffs, On the Body

Jane Doe​

Case Details​

Case Type: Unidentified
Height: 5' 3"
Case Status: OPEN
Weight: 120 lbs
Aliases:
Identifying Marks:
Incident Date: 06/03/1988
Agency: Baca County Sheriff's Office
City: Springfield
Date of Birth: Unknown
County: Baca
Date of Death: 06/03/1988
Agency Case #: F88-170
Judicial District: 16th Judicial District
Year Solved:
Race: Caucasian
NamUs Case #: UP80455
Eyes: Unknown
NCMEC Case #: Unknown
Hair: Brown

About this Case:​

The skeletal remains of an unknown female were discovered June 1988 in Baca County, CO southwest of Springfield, CO and northwest of Pritchett, CO. The body was located lying in an open field but had been there for approximately one year before discovery. We believe the female to have been of Native American and/or Hispanic origin. The roads near where she was discovered are frequented by truck drivers normally attempting to avoid the port. Dental characteristics are available. Clothing: grey corduroy Levis size 30 X 31. Leg cuffs had been hemmed up to 271/2" inseam. A bra, size 34B, and a beige colored winter coat with white synthetic fur collar and 4" fur cuffs. Money: a 1986 quarter was found in the pocket. The remains were buried in Springfield City Cemetery in 2005. Anyone with information is asked to contact the Baca County Sheriff's Department

If you have any information about this case, please contact:​

Baca County Sheriff's Office

Springfield

Colorado
1656223033852.jpeg

SPRINGFIELD, CO — According to a press release Sunday from Baca County Sheriff's Office and Coroner's Office, a Jane Doe found just outside Springfield, CO in 1988 now has a name. New DNA samples, along with samples submitted for a missing person report in 2004, led to the connection.

In June of 1988, a local farmer reported to the Baca County Sheriff's Office that he believed he found human remains on his land just outside of Springfield, CO. Former Baca County Sheriff Willard Goff and multiple other officials confirmed the remains as human. After several days of searches, nothing was found to help identify the remains.

In 2004, the McAllen, Texas Police Department obtained a DNA sample from a person searching for their missing mother, Nora Elia Castillo. That DNA was then linked to Castillo's missing persons case that had been filed in 1996. The reporting party in 1996 stating that she had been missing since 1986 or 1987. It was also reported that the last contact with Nora Castillo was a collect call from somewhere in Colorado in that time frame.

Descriptors and evidence gathered by the McAllen Police Department's missing person were consistent with evidence that Baca County investigators obtained for Jane Doe in 1988. Leading to a determination that Nora Elia Castillo and Jane Doe were the same person.

Nora Elia Castillo's family was notified that she was found and where her remains are buried in Baca County.

SPRINGFIELD, CO — According to a press release Sunday from Baca County Sheriff's Office and Coroner's Office, a Jane Doe found just outside Springfield, CO in 1988 now has a name. New DNA samples, along with samples submitted for a missing person report in 2004, led to the connection.

In June of 1988, a local farmer reported to the Baca County Sheriff's Office that he believed he found human remains on his land just outside of Springfield, CO. Former Baca County Sheriff Willard Goff and multiple other officials confirmed the remains as human. After several days of searches, nothing was found to help identify the remains.

In 2004, the McAllen, Texas Police Department obtained a DNA sample from a person searching for their missing mother, Nora Elia Castillo. That DNA was then linked to Castillo's missing persons case that had been filed in 1996. The reporting party in 1996 stating that she had been missing since 1986 or 1987. It was also reported that the last contact with Nora Castillo was a collect call from somewhere in Colorado in that time frame.

Descriptors and evidence gathered by the McAllen Police Department's missing person were consistent with evidence that Baca County investigators obtained for Jane Doe in 1988. Leading to a determination that Nora Elia Castillo and Jane Doe were the same person.

Nora Elia Castillo's family was notified that she was found and where her remains are buried in Baca County.
1667233253226.png1667233275842.png
Rest in peace, Nora.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow