Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
in Ontario Depending on the circumstance of the arrest a court hearing can be done via video court on the weekends.

"After you have been arrested by a police officer, or by any other person who has turned you over to a police officer, you are entitled to appear promptly before a justice of the peace or judge to answer any charges that are being laid against you. In any event, you are to appear within 24 hours."

http://www.lawsociety.ab.ca/public/legal_education/arrested_charged.aspx

I'm pretty sure that means 24 hours excluding weekends.

So it has been more than 24 hours right? Why don't we hear anything one way or another?

Typically depends on the city and situation. I have seen both happen in Kitchener- Waterloo. I also know in London ON some are even seen on the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you consider the field the of work the identity thief G worked in for 4 years , development of herbicides and pesticides, a farm location being searched and his previous meth lab it leads you down a dark and scary thought process of what he may have done with them. Let's hope it's the wrong guy or that he is holding them for money or something.

I read up thread that it was confirmed by LE that the poi is an extremely intelligent individual (para phrasing here) so I surmise if this is true could it be the same individual who may in fact be the son of farm property owners and who may be the same individual with a previous identity stealing and drug crimes offences. If this is correct this individual is an extremely intelligent person with university training and said to have been working in BC at a University in the sciences and lab field.
Not just any identity stealing. That of a 14 year old boy who is deceased.

If the poi is this same man then omg. Wth?

It is possible there is a scientific connection here.

Will they announce an arrest IF one is made? Seems so secretive. Family is quiet. Our media in the US, race to be the first to have any info, and wondered if it's the same in Canada. And by any info, I mean they are digging and posting snippits and even incomplete stories. Are there any media folks hanging around the detention center?

Posting rumors needs to stop now, no one has been named yet.

Hate to say this....but I wonder when the last time was that anyone saw the elderly parents at that rural property? Hope that they are safe and accounted for.

It's a large property with several buildings, and the grass (wheat?) appears to be about four feet tall. It will probably take a couple of days to grid search the property for evidence. If nothing is found on the property, computers may provide evidence about location of the missing persons.

I'm trying to resolve the fact that the vehicle was seen several times during the night near the Liknes home and the travel time to the acreage. If it's approx 45 minutes to make the trip, then a round trip is 1.5 hours. Two round trips, meaning two appearances on surveillance video, means 3 hours. There's also the time required for the attack on the family, removing the family from the home, hosing down the blood (if that was done by the perp), and the fact that there were between 5 and 7 hours of dusk/dawn/darkness. I'm curious about the timing of the sightings on surveillance video and whether there was enough time to travel back and forther between the crime scene and the acreage a couple of times. If the family is not at the acreage, where else might they be?

Sorry I was thinking more along the lines of obtaining a warrant to search. And what is involved in the search, forensics, dogs, tactical etc. IMO I think they must have something more. I have to say though, I'm also basing this on what I feel in my gut :(

So it has been more than 24 hours right? Why don't we hear anything one way or another?

I think there is a difference between being brought in for questioning and being arrested. If in fact no charges have been laid then the POI would not have to go up in front of the JP or judge.

I also think our law allows the police to hold a POI for a matter of time before they decide to charge them with a crime or release them.

Will they announce an arrest IF one is made? Seems so secretive. Family is quiet. Our media in the US, race to be the first to have any info, and wondered if it's the same in Canada. And by any info, I mean they are digging and posting snippits and even incomplete stories. Are there any media folks hanging around the detention center?

Canada is like that- very closed mouth on major crimes. And for that fact, there is little false info being written by MSM. If something does hit print or the internet prematurely, it disappears in updated articles in the blink of an eye. Then the good old publication ban comes into effect and we hear even less unless trial... 2 plus years later.

Hmmm...found the wording interesting in this article...I hope it's not just the reporter 'assuming' the time line of the cctv.....
I've always been assuming they were looking for cctv from the entire weekend ie: vehicles/suspects at ANY time that may have been suspicious ....but this kind of pinpoints WHEN the cctv caught the truck more than once in the neighbourhood? That's only a 12 hour window....with at least 1/2 of that time being in the dark...... The picture of the truck though was during daylight or appears to be *possibly near sunset or dawn?*
Wonder now exactly how MANY times this particular truck was seen that night.....gives me chills.....

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/c...sappearances+Nathan+Brien/10001950/story.html

"Employing a high-end security system that includes closed-circuit television, one particularly tall home recorded video of the truck circling the neighbourhood a few times during those crucial hours between JO’ dropping off her son Nathan with his grandparents after their weekend estate sale, and her return the next morning."

I only changed JO's full name in that quote from the paper for privacy reasons, otherwise it's a quote & BBM.

Sorry I was thinking more along the lines of obtaining a warrant to search. And what is involved in the search, forensics, dogs, tactical etc. IMO I think they must have something more. I have to say though, I'm also basing this on what I feel in my gut :(

I think the way it works is for obtaining warrants on the weekend and after business hours is that one of the assistant chief crown prosecutors is on call for weekend warrants and arrest decisions (assistant chief crown prosecutors have this weekend role on rotation). A Judge is probably on rotation for those decisions as well. With the probable cause of a vehicle matching the one at the crime scene, a warrant would have been issued for the vehicle, the property, the house, and probably for any businesses associated with the owner of the vehicle.

I would expect that all departments connected with homicide investigations will be involved with the search.

Hate to say this....but I wonder when the last time was that anyone saw the elderly parents at that rural property? Hope that they are safe and accounted for.

That is what I posted yesterday. Hopefully they are ok.

You would think or hope so. If he is transferred anywhere from the police station i would hope a reporter is there to report of this?

It wouldn't surprise me if an arrest is announced on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monifah2