IN IN - Carmen Van Huss, 19, Indianapolis, 22 March 1993

How good of an alibis does the ex boyfriend have for the time of the offence? Was his DNA ever collected?
Were her close girlfriends reinterviewed recently to see if they remember anyone smitten by Carmen? I have a feeling (no logical reason for it) that this was committed 1) by someone in the building 2) some one who lived in close proximity or 3) someone from the Pizza Hut - either staff or a regular customer, last but not least 4) as the mod suggested someone Carmen became reacquainted with - this would include the ex-boyfriend. It was definitely someone she knew. I am also leaning toward a planned meet but I would like to know if she actually washed her uniform or if in fact her uniform was found in her apartment.

Have any of the tenants testimonials been made public? and were all tenants accounted for? by the looks of it it looks to be a fellow tenant whom Carmen knew and who had no real motive to arise suspicion and thus fell through the cracks after the police investigation. He/She could have caught her just as she was getting home to wash her uniform and asked to be invited in. We need to know more about the whereabouts of the uniform in her apartment and who in the building she knew well enough to let into her home.

If the perp was obsessed with her and was an acquaintance/someone known to her, it would not surprise me if he went to the memorial service or periodically visits her grave on some sort of anniversary date (in his mind).

yes I agree. We have enough area proof that he was seen 2 times this day and was local. also the proof and buying beer ,if this is the case which equals 2 receipts.

I'm digging deep here very deep here. I don't any other way to solve this than to try a lucky break. Beer is sold in box correct 6 pack /8pack 12 pack. now it would have scan number, that only goes to one store that is sold. I'm reaching here I understand the climate has changed there and store may not be around anymore. But I'm hoping to try catch lucky break for this young woman. The beer case bars codes have Le tried to run them back and see who bought them, as in the store. the inventory sheets/item sold in where im aiming. This will give a store or location prior to his seeing this young woman

I know for certain they have tested the dna in the bottles. Maybe to no match.. I do know for certain the bar codes on the beer case box will match to the store that sold/bought them also scan id's are unique, I hoping this guy fouled up and bought a 6/12 pack. I'm not sure but I think those record of sale stay active for a while. 10 to 20 yrs Im not sure, I don't know how long inventory sheet last.

Something has been bugging me about this case. The "hurried" footsteps. The timing of the series of events indicate that possibly more than one person reported the noise that evening. Why would someone hear Carmen's exclamation and stay awake long enough to notice the hurried footsteps, but not bother to look out the peephole or out a window to see who it was? In terms of the layout of the apartment building, Carmen's unit must have been upstairs. No sound would have reverberated or been audible on the ground floor because in a matter of seconds they would be out of the range. ( refer to photos of complex ). when I first read "hurried", I pictured a long indoor hallway.

Something has been bugging me about this case. The "hurried" footsteps. The timing of the series of events indicate that possibly more than one person reported the noise that evening. Why would someone hear Carmen's exclamation and stay awake long enough to notice the hurried footsteps, but not bother to look out the peephole or out a window to see who it was? In terms of the layout of the apartment building, Carmen's unit must have been upstairs. No sound would have reverberated or been audible on the ground floor because in a matter of seconds they would be out of the range. ( refer to photos of complex ). when I first read "hurried", I pictured a long indoor hallway.
You're right. There is a hallway, and from the looks of the buildings, it's probably a fairly long one.

About 11 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. neighbors heard her walk up the hall to her apartment in what was then the Turtle Creek North Apartments in the 8200 block of Harcourt Road, just south of St. Vincent Hospital. She was with a man; the two were talking and laughing, neighbors said later.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/crime/2014/04/19/indiana-unsolved-carmen-van-huss/7903283/

I agree that one of the tenants would have peeked out into the hall or through a window to catch a glimpse of who was leaving. That's a pretty normal reaction, imo. Because it was a dark, foggy night, perhaps someone did look out onto the parking lot but couldn't see the person.

How good of an alibis does the ex boyfriend have for the time of the offence? Was his DNA ever collected?
Were her close girlfriends reinterviewed recently to see if they remember anyone smitten by Carmen? I have a feeling (no logical reason for it) that this was committed 1) by someone in the building 2) some one who lived in close proximity or 3) someone from the Pizza Hut - either staff or a regular customer, last but not least 4) as the mod suggested someone Carmen became reacquainted with - this would include the ex-boyfriend. It was definitely someone she knew. I am also leaning toward a planned meet but I would like to know if she actually washed her uniform or if in fact her uniform was found in her apartment.
BF and ex-bf were ruled out by the physical evidence.
At the time of the crime, Van Huss' boyfriend was out of state; an ex-boyfriend suspected by friends also was traveling and not in Indianapolis. In addition, physical evidence left at the scene rules the men out as the person who raped Van Huss.
http://www.indystar.com/story/news/crime/2014/04/19/indiana-unsolved-carmen-van-huss/7903283/

This is the complete address I believe of the apartment. Google map shows it well and it is quite large.

Turtle Creek Apartments
8253 Harcourt Rd
Indianapolis, IN 46260

Bessie I think this neighbor is letting on some what, they didn't just hear it all , they actually saw her come up and stand and talk through the peep hole, if some is talking and being loud you don't just hear wants going on, you look an see what going on, its only natural. Which opens up some more evidence.

Maybe they got the food together. The question is now. if this a good apartment place it should have good lighting in the hall ways. I thinking this person hear it all. If they left a nasty note on the door.. maybe this want the 1st time they left a note.

I see a lake right down the block. also another apartment complex in walking distance

Harcourt Road is basically the eastern boundary of the St. Vincent campus and the entrances to many, many apartment complexes and housing subdivisions. No retail, no gas stations, no commercial enterprise of any sort- just the hospital and housing from 86th all the way to 71st Street (where it terminates)

Harcourt Road is basically the eastern boundary of the St. Vincent campus and the entrances to many, many apartment complexes and housing subdivisions. No retail, no gas stations, no commercial enterprise of any sort- just the hospital and housing from 86th all the way to 71st Street (where it terminates)

Wasn't Humana there at the time of the murder?

Bessie I think this neighbor is letting on some what, they didn't just hear it all , they actually saw her come up and stand and talk through the peep hole, if some is talking and being loud you don't just hear wants going on, you look an see what going on, its only natural. Which opens up some more evidence.

Maybe they got the food together. The question is now. if this a good apartment place it should have good lighting in the hall ways. I thinking this person hear it all. If they left a nasty note on the door.. maybe this want the 1st time they left a note.

RBBM: The neighbor didn't leave the note but complained to the management , who left a note.

"No one called police, but someone complained to the apartment complex management, which left a hand-written note on Van Huss' door the next morning, chiding her for the noise and telling her to be more considerate of her neighbors"

ETA: BBBM: I agree with you.

Wasn't Humana there at the time of the murder?

No, the old Humana Hospital is now the St. Vincent Women's Hospital and is on Township Line Road, a few blocks to the west. It houses their thriving maternity center and Indiana's largest Neonatal ICU (75+ beds). I sometimes float over there when Peyton Manning's census is low.

I have a question, is this 1st time she has had a noise violation.?? I don't think management will give a fine/ or etc on the 1st set of events. who reported the noise was it many or just one person.

I find it very odd because to my understanding the complex managers don't leave door notes violations without giving a call to maintenance before hand. only self staff does (maintenance persons) do door to door tags to my understanding. Question was this guy a male? Both of them? Was this note left at 8 or 11 am?

In that article it says she shared the room with 2 other women. So none came by that day or 2 days and lived there??. Again odd. I think this guys a friend of one of these women. Maybe even maintenance.

In that article it says she shared the room with 2 other women. So none came by that day or 2 days and lived there??. Again odd. I think this guys a friend of one of these women. Maybe even maintenance.
She lived alone, but previously shared an apartment with two female roommates.

She lived alone, but previously shared an apartment with two female roommates.

Hi all, i've been following but lurking. I lived in this area a few years before Carmen. I don't remember those apartments by name but if they are the ones I think, I lived across Harcourt. Just wanted to mention that my roomate and I had some trouble being harrassed by landscape workers. I'm talking obscene phone calls at late hours, disgustingly obscene. There were lots of 20 something guys around working most of the week days.

Thank you for the clear up ,the writer writes like its all included a that date and time, (sigh). But I have a question, where these women living there previously or was this before she moved.

No, the old Humana Hospital is now the St. Vincent Women's Hospital and is on Township Line Road, a few blocks to the west. It houses their thriving maternity center and Indiana's largest Neonatal ICU (75+ beds). I sometimes float over there when Peyton Manning's census is low.

St Vs didn't take it over and change it to Women's until probably 10 years after the murder and it was called Humana before then. Humana was definitely there at the time of the murder--I have been to the facility many times both when it was Humana and Women's.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back