LeAnna (Mom) #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it works that way if RH was the one who purchased the insurance...and certainly not if they find out this was murder with malice. Many think the charges will be upped to this by the time of trial. There's no hurry. Funeral's been paid for; all they have to do is say they, too, are investigating a suspicious death.

Who knows? The policy could specifically exclude a death resulting from neglect or abuse too. That wouldn't surprise me regarding the $25,000 child policy. But I am willing to bet the $2,000 dollar one was though his work and will be paid out regardless. We have this same policy through my husbands work. I havent read the terms but it does cover any child we have so its not a policy on each one. I think we pay like 10 dollars a year for it.

I don't think it works that way if RH was the one who purchased the insurance...and certainly not if they find out this was murder with malice. Many think the charges will be upped to this by the time of trial. There's no hurry. Funeral's been paid for; all they have to do is say they, too, are investigating a suspicious death.
Do we even know if Leanna knew about it? Why is he calling "his" family and telling them how to cash it out?
I thought Leanna worked for an insurance company when in college.
IMO there's a snag here...

Don't insurance policies have all kinds of exclusions, among them that they don't pay if you committed a crime to get insurance?

Like if you burn your house down, you won't get the money. Can't think of other reasons, but if you kill an insured, you are not getting the money

Don't insurance policies have all kinds of exclusions, among them that they don't pay if you committed a crime to get insurance?

Like if you burn your house down, you won't get the money. Can't think of other reasons, but if you kill an insured, you are not getting the money

YOU wont get the money for burning your house down but your spouse may, or the mortgage company.

"Leanna Harris is living every parent's nightmare—the child she bore and loved every moment of his life has died. For most parents, it is difficult, if not impossible, to comprehend such a thing. But for Leanna, that nightmare is all too real. She will never again be able to tuck him into bed at night and return later to check on him.

But when asked by LE if she wanted to see "the child she bore and loved every moment of his life" she asked to see her husband instead?

Suuuuure. I'm not buying what they're trying to sell.

But when asked by LE if she wanted to see "the child she bore and loved every moment of his life" she asked to see her husband instead?

Suuuuure. I'm not buying what they're trying to sell.

I really did not want to share this with anyone but I will. My husband and I lost a child while she was in a grandparents care. While they threw me out of the ER while they worked on her, my only thought was calling my husband. I couldnt dial or seem to get through and had to have LE take over that for me. When we were asked at the hospital if we wanted to see her, we did. I dont know why I did because I didn't want to hold her. I was raised to believe that a dead body is not the person you loved. When they die their soul and spirit is gone, its just the earthly body. My husband on the other hand held her, and wouldnt let go. I actually had to pry her out of his arms because it was getting scary.

Yes, they do. You're absolutely right. That's why there are insurance investigators. It's called fraud. Excluded under a life insurance policy is "Illegal Activity" (such as murder with malice in order to collect someone's life insurance money...). Check out the NAIC.

I really did not want to share this with anyone but I will. My husband and I lost a child while she was in a grandparents care. While they threw me out of the ER while they worked on her, my only thought was calling my husband. I couldnt dial or seem to get through and had to have LE take over that for me. When we were asked at the hospital if we wanted to see her, we did. I dont know why I did because I didn't want to hold her. I was raised to believe that a dead body is not the person you loved. When they die their soul and spirit is gone, its just the earthly body. My husband on the other hand held her, and wouldnt let go. I actually had to pry her out of his arms because it was getting scary.

I'm so, so sorry. Thank you for sharing something so painful with us

Yes, they do. You're absolutely right. That's why there are insurance investigators. It's called fraud. Excluded under a life insurance policy is "Illegal Activity" (such as murder with malice in order to collect someone's life insurance money...). Check out the NAIC.

You are misunderstanding that I believe. Yes it excluded the person who killed them from collecting but not the other beneficiaries.

I am so so sorry (((((((hugs)))))))))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who knows? The policy could specifically exclude a death resulting from neglect or abuse too. That wouldn't surprise me regarding the $25,000 child policy. But I am willing to bet the $2,000 dollar one was though his work and will be paid out regardless. We have this same policy through my husbands work. I havent read the terms but it does cover any child we have so its not a policy on each one. I think we pay like 10 dollars a year for it.

You could be right... but IME... even THOSE policies have clauses and lots of them

You are misunderstanding that I believe. Yes it excluded the person who killed them from collecting but not the other beneficiaries.

Well, it'd depend on the specific policy wording, I suppose; but if RH goes does down it would not at all surprise me if LH follows. The benefits would not keep on trying to go to next of kin, afaik, (eg. Grandparents), if both parents were found complicit, especially concerning that $25,000 life insurance policy bought in late 2012 for Cooper. There is a 2-year contestancy period allowed that would effectively tie that money up in court (to prove LH was not an accessory even if the criminal courts didn't pursue that); this would quickly dissipate that sum of money. So in the end, I don't see anyone profiting from CH's death, here.

"One representative explained that the only time they ever hold payment is if the death occurs within the two year contestable period, or if the cause of death listed on the death certificate is “homicide”. In this case, they follow up with the police and ask if the beneficiary is a suspect in the murder. If so, they hold payment until charges are dropped or the beneficiary is acquitted of the crime." (An example of just one insurance blog's info) - http://www.insuranceblogbychris.com/life-insurance-benefits-not-payable/

ETA:
Ask the Life Insurance Expert
I have term life insurance on my daughter. Will the insurance company pay benefits if she is murdered?

Yes, life insurance will pay out in cases of murder – except where the policy owner (you) has committed the murder.
http://www.insure.com/articles/lifeinsurancefaq/term-life-insurance-payout-murder.html

Since it has been stated several times that Leanna went back to her mom's, I do not believe she was in on this crime. Her lawyer more than likely discussed with LE about her out of state move. If the facts were there or even close that pointed to her arrest, she would not have been allowed to go, via her lawyer advising her. IMO.

SBM
My husband is LE and has dealings with CCPD weekly. I asked him about this and he said there would be no grounds for LE to tell her she can't leave the state without arresting her or getting something signed by a Judge <--- which is what would happen if they thought she would leave the country. Also he speaks very highly of the DA Vic Reynolds, said he is a great guy and great at what he does so that gives me hope in justice for Cooper.

I also asked him what his thoughts were (and hoping he had some inside scoop :angel: ) about LH being arrested. His theory is that they do but are waiting until the Grand Jury to get the warrants. MOO- It is probably also a ploy to let her and JRH sweat a bit longer in hopes of someone volunteering additional info.

So sorry for your loss!! HUGS -- I can't imagine. Being on this site gives me plenty of nightmares and makes me hold my children tighter -- I'm just so sorry; no parent should have to suffer the loss of their child

This is already a complicated case, made further complicated for the insurance company by the fact that there was no need to rush funds because the general public became aware early on that HD Homer Fund would cover the burial.. we don't know if ONLY RH was a policyholder or if he was WITH LH (state laws vary as well as policies) -- so.... LH could be receiving funds as we speak and/or there is an ongoing investigation (and there again depending on the size of the policy and each company's rules, a company could decide to pay out as it's cheaper than investigating)... we simply don't know and likely won't unless it's brought up in trial

SBM
My husband is LE and has dealings with CCPD weekly. I asked him about this and he said there would be no grounds for LE to tell her she can't leave the state without arresting her or getting something signed by a Judge <--- which is what would happen if they thought she would leave the country. Also he speaks very highly of the DA Vic Reynolds, said he is a great guy and great at what he does so that gives me hope in justice for Cooper.

I also asked him what his thoughts were (and hoping he had some inside scoop :angel: ) about LH being arrested. His theory is that they do but are waiting until the Grand Jury to get the warrants. MOO- It is probably also a ploy to let her and JRH sweat a bit longer in hopes of someone volunteering additional info.

I agree with your hubby's opinion.
I think her walking around free as a bird, the media all over her, RH with the possibility of the Death penalty over his head....
Squeeze em both, hard. When backed into a corner, he will either throw her under the bus, or she will testify against him with a sweet plea deal.

All IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So sorry for your loss!! HUGS -- I can't imagine. Being on this site gives me plenty of nightmares and makes me hold my children tighter -- I'm just so sorry; no parent should have to suffer the loss of their child

This is already a complicated case, made further complicated for the insurance company by the fact that there was no need to rush funds because the general public became aware early on that HD Homer Fund would cover the burial.. we don't know if ONLY RH was a policyholder or if he was WITH LH (state laws vary as well as policies) -- so.... LH could be receiving funds as we speak and/or there is an ongoing investigation (and there again depending on the size of the policy and each company's rules, a company could decide to pay out as it's cheaper than investigating)... we simply don't know and likely won't unless it's brought up in trial

Thank you to everyone for the hugs and kind words. Really I did not post this for sympathy. I just wanted to give some insight that others who have not lost a child do not have. It has been 11 years since that day I can tell all of you that there were many years of touch and go. But now our family is a lot more stable and I can look back and see some things that certainly could have been perceived as weird or crazy that made a whole lot of sense to us at the time, or still do.

Did LH not get the "what time are you picking up my little buddy" message? She goes to the DC, the baby isn't there, she says he must have left C in the car. There is zero reason for LH to pull that out of thin air. I would have just been baffled. Then she asks someone to go to RH's workplace with her, she knew from the moment she was told RH did not drop C off that C was dead, how would she have known that? There is a gap or skew in the progression of this event. She knew.
If LH and RH had gone so far as to research hot car death as a precautionary action, the child's cause of death would have been the furthest thing from her mind, not the first.

Did LH not get the "what time are you picking up my little buddy" message? She goes to the DC, the baby isn't there, she says he must have left C in the car. There is zero reason for LH to pull that out of thin air. I would have just been baffled. Then she asks someone to go to RH's workplace with her, she knew from the moment she was told RH did not drop C off that C was dead, how would she have known that? There is a gap or skew in the progression of this event. She knew.

I have always wondered if because this daycare was at his work if there were some provision that a child could not be left after they leave work for the day. I wouldnt know because I have never had a company sponsored daycare but is it possible that he was ensuring that Cooper was picked up so he could leave? Anyone know this stuff?

Thank you to everyone for the hugs and kind words. Really I did not post this for sympathy. I just wanted to give some insight that others who have not lost a child do not have. It has been 11 years since that day I can tell all of you that there were many years of touch and go. But now our family is a lot more stable and I can look back and see some things that certainly could have been perceived as weird or crazy that made a whole lot of sense to us at the time, or still do.

I am just so sorry. Thank you for sharing something so incredibly painful and personal.

I know most people felt that LH when asked to see her son, she didn't, and wanted to see her husband instead, that the red flags were going up. For a minute, I thought the same, and then I started thinking about it, and I'm afraid that I couldn't do that. I'd be afraid that would never leave me, and I would want to remember my child the way he was. But, as soon as I would have gotten in the room with my husband, you can bet I would have been screaming to know what happened, and I wouldn't leave until my questions were answered. That, is what really bothered me, why didn't she do that? And if she and Ross were in on this together, why would she say what she said at the daycare?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23