Rita Tangredi, 31, and Colleen McNamee, 20, 1993-94 ** John Bittrolff ARRESTED **

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/07/31/long-island-man-pleads-not-guilty-in-cold-case-murders/

"During the hearing Thursday, the families of McNamee and Tangredi left court to sob in the hallway. Dozens of friends and supporters also stifled cries as prosecutors described semen belonging to the suspect, along with wood chips connected to his carpentry work, in the bodies of the victims.

The way this is worded, it sounds like the wood chips where inside the victims.

Wood chips bolster case against Long Island man accused in 20-year-old murders: prosecutors

BY Erik Badia , Corky Siemaszko
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Thursday, July 31, 2014, 4:08 PM

[...]

“Wood chips were found on both of the victims,” Suffolk County assistant district attorney Robert Biancavilla said while accused double-murderer John Bittrolff shook his head defiantly. “And Mr. Bittrolff has been a carpenter his whole adult life.”

Also, Biancavilla said, the semen found on Rita Tangredi and Colleen McNamee were a match to Bittrolff.

[...]

Suffolk County DA Thomas Spota said after the hearing that Bittrolff was also a suspect in another unsolved murder — that of 28-year-old Sandra Costilla of Queens.

[...]

“Wood chips were found on or near both of the Tangredi and McNamee victims also were found at the scene of the Sandra Costilla crime scene," he said.
<B&UBM>

I bet his wife knows what piece of clothing and positioning he's fond of.

Wow I wonder can anyone find a link that says wood and sticks were dumped on jessica taylors torso? I feel like i've read that before but the link i posted today from lipress said the wood and sticks were underneath her

Wood chips? Go figure.
I'm guessing the wood chips came about because they were present in the transport vehicle/mode or the murder site (Like a job site or a work shed.) There will be other crime scenes. The wooded areas are most likely disposal sites.

Sorry if I am way off .....Was Colleen the victim that was found by some man that at first thought she had committed suicide- But quickly realised she hadn't. She had rope tied around her neck which was attached to a tree (positioning/posed)...or have I got mixed up with someone else. I recall reading that somewhere on here I think..in a list of possible victims thread....I probably have the wrong victim???

Sorry if I am way off .....Was Colleen the victim that was found by some man that at first thought she had committed suicide- But quickly realised she hadn't. She had rope tied around her neck which was attached to a tree (positioning/posed)...or have I got mixed up with someone else. I recall reading that somewhere on here I think..in a list of possible victims thread....I probably have the wrong victim???
No, that was Patricia Costello, iirc, 1986.

Points from the Newsday article:

- Bittrolff pleaded not guilty.

- Biancavilla said several things tied JB to the crimes, including DNA, the remarkable similarity of the crime scenes (bodies found in the woods, naked, and posed identically,) deaths from similar injuries (including having their brains *literally* beaten out), and wood chips found at both crime scenes

- Biancavilla also said the wood chips are significant because JB has been a carpenter his whole life

- JB's attorney says they will go to trial

- Colleen McNamee is again said to have been mutilated (by article author)

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...90s-slayings-ordered-held-with-bail-1.8933623

Well, well, well, with this new information about brains nearly beaten out, I would say that Manorville and the transgender male are back on the table. At least one if not more of the males were beaten about the head or face, iirc. And we know JT's killer literally cut her head off. (I wonder if her skull showed signs of fractures or if any broken pieces were missing.)

June, 1986 PATRICIA COSTELLO of Brentwood, Suffolk County, was living in Bay Shore at the time of her murder. She worked as a topless dancer/cocktail waitress at various bars in Suffolk County. At about 5pm, Sunday, June 1, 1986, a horseback rider in Heckscher State Park found Ms. Costello&#8217;s nude, strangled body, approximately 200 feet from the shore of the Great South Bay in Islip. Seemingly, the assailant tried to make the murder appear to be a suicide by tying one end of a piece of material around Ms. Costello&#8217;s neck and the other around a nearby tree. Cannot find any more information.

July 24, 1986, Life changed for the Nannerys on July 24, 1986, when 32-year-old Bobby Nannery, Helen's son, was beaten to death on a Copiague street. His is one of 91 unsolved murders in Suffolk County since the police started keeping count in 1956.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ible-Victims-**MERGED**&p=7706545#post7706545

Would Bittrolff not know about DNA back then? That seems really dumb. Didn't people know about DNA in 1993? They discovered it on Long Island supposedly would the average person have not heard of DNA?
I think the whole DNA as evidence really became a household topic with the OJ Simpson trial. 1995.

Effin woodchips??? that's a new fetish/totem for ya.

As far as a study into psychopathology, this guy is going to be one juicy steak.

What's up with that left ear? That would be noted in any witness description, I'd think.

G45gQG9.jpg

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...90s-slayings-ordered-held-with-bail-1.8933623

GHgqJj2.jpg
G2NQAcF.jpg

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...ho-liked-to-hunt-and-knew-everybody-1.8867366

Was the indictment made available for public viewing? I am on my phone and cant really search for it. From a legal standpoint, the statements the DA made and what was reported in Newsday left me underwhelmed. Granted it could have been bad reporting, but any attorney on par with Jose Baez could successfully argue reasonable doubt. I'm only going by the news articles at this point so I'll reserve judgment until I can read the indictment. Just thinking out loud on the lirr tonight.

Does anyone think he might wear contact lenses? About the most recent photo, the oh poor me one with the hang dog expression, He probably used that to gain trust or sympathy from his victims. JMO, of course.

AGGRESSIVE TENDENCIES MAY BE REVEALED BY ASYMMETRY IN BODY PARTS, STUDY FINDS

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Researchers may get some indication of how aggressively an angry person will react by measuring the size relationship between a person’s ears and other body parts, according to a new study.

Research showed that the farther certain paired body parts were from symmetry – if one ear, index finger or foot was bigger than another, for example – the more likely it is was that a person would show signs of aggression when provoked.

Very interesting read!
http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/symmetry.htm

Please note: I am not in any way suggesting that JB was "provoked" by the victims.

Was the indictment made available for public viewing? I am on my phone and cant really search for it. From a legal standpoint, the statements the DA made and what was reported in Newsday left me underwhelmed. Granted it could have been bad reporting, but any attorney on par with Jose Baez could successfully argue reasonable doubt. I'm only going by the news articles at this point so I'll reserve judgment until I can read the indictment. Just thinking out loud on the lirr tonight.

Where might we find the published indictment? If you come across it, please share! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin