A medical examiner ruled the death a homicide after autopsy results showed Langlais' death was a direct result of the gunshot wounds to his chest and abdomen, according to a copy of Langlais' death certificate on file in Winooski. That decision allowed the murder charge to be brought against Bailey 34 years after the shooting.
Police reopened the dormant case in early 2004 following a tip from Bailey's wife, Lois -- who, is also the mother of convicted quadruple murderer Douglas Provost.
Family members were stunned when investigators told them they had cracked the case, said Vermont State Police Detective Sgt. Gene Douillard.
"There was not a lot of reaction," he said. "They had to sit down and digest it because it's been 34 years."
After the arraignment, four police investigators who worked on the reopened Langlais case talked about the challenge of the inquiry and their satisfaction at having made an arrest.
"It was the oldest unsolved case Winooski still had," said city Police Chief Steve McQueen.
Lois Bailey kept her secret for 33 years, until she filed a domestic-assault complaint against Kenneth Bailey, according to Douillard's statement. Detectives learned during that investigation -- which led to the sexual-assault charges involving a 9-year-old girl
-- that Lois Bailey had information about the Langlais shooting.
Lois Bailey's son, Douglas Provost, was convicted of four counts of first-degree murder Oct. 31, 2003. The 38-year-old Provost shot to death four people in a Belvidere home in July 2001, one of the bloodiest killings in Vermont history. Kenneth Bailey was Provost's stepfather, according to police.
Lois Bailey testified at her son's sentencing hearing in April 2004. Pleading for leniency, she said her husband abused the family for years, and the abuse affected Provost.
Friday june 9,2006
The state Supreme Court has turned aside an appeal by a man accused of a 1970s slaying in Winooski.
All five justices decided not to hear arguments from Kenneth Bailey on whether he should be immune from murder charges because his victim died more than a year after being shot. The court offered no explanation for its decision, which was announced in a one-sentence order.
Bailey, 64, formerly of Burlington, was arrested last year and pleaded not guilty to a charge of first-degree murder. Prosecutors accuse Bailey of shooting Richard Langlais, 49, during a home-invasion robbery in 1971.
But because Langlais lived until September 1973 before succumbing to his injuries, Bailey argues, the murder charge is inappropriate.